Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Two-Headed Beast -- Finished  (Read 123557 times)

Donkbaca

• Our reptillian overlords would be pleased
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2012, 06:28:10 pm
    • Slim built MAME/Xbox cab
Re: Two-Headed Beast MAME Conversion (Work Has Begun)
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2011, 11:55:46 am »
Nice job brown noser!

haha. 

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2011, 12:03:35 pm »
 :lol

scofthe7seas

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2012, 11:33:10 am
  • I'm Eskimo. There's nothing here.
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2011, 01:26:10 pm »
I think you should go for "as ghetto as possible" for a theme. Maybe a bucket CP, or a catbox CP. Perhaps a lego CP (actually that sounds kind of cool..)

Nephasth

« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2011, 08:25:19 pm »
Well, it has been a while since I've had a chance to do some actual work on this thing. I got married and just recently got back from my honeymoon (why the hell is it called that?). Now with all the busy life stuff out of the way (and before I get to work on makin' babies), work can resume on the beast. Some of the "behind the scenes" stuff that has been going on was gutting the cabinet of unnecessary parts. The original control panels have been removed, the buttons and Atari logo joysticks were sold to help fund the project (got more out of those than I paid for the whole machine). Also removed the JAMMA harness from the cab.

Today I installed my speakers into the topper. To make things easier (wanted to avoid working on a ladder), I removed the topper from the cabinet.

Here's a shot of preparing to remove the topper. Removed speaker grills, speakers, marquee, and marquee light.

Topper removed and on the floor to work on. It was much lighter than I anticipated.

Drilled two holes into each speaker base to mount inside of the topper.

Speakers installed. View through marquee opening.

View from inside.

View from front through speaker opening.

I then reinstalled the speaker grills and mirror and remounted the topper onto the cab. It is held on with four 1/4" bolts that go up through the bottom of the topper.

Shot of wiring routing (unsecured for now).

Marquee reinstalled. Love the stock look with the speaker grills, can't even tell computer speakers are behind them.

Still shooting for the goal of getting the machine mostly functional. Down the road I will remove the topper again to do a little body repair and refinishing. The topper only takes about 5 minutes to remove (including disconnecting wiring). I won't have to remove the topper to install the marquee lighting, it will mount directly to the back side of the marquee.

I also started tackling the issue of my custom CPs not fitting quite right. This was caused by a combination of my measurement taking of the old CPs and the fact that metal stretches when you bend it (thus making my panels a little longer than the originals). Here you can see how the CP does not sit down all the way on the CP mounting brackets.

I loosened the right side CP box and found the CP to sit down fully with the box pulled out about an 1/8th of an inch. I placed large washers between the CP box and the cab and tightened it up, but the box wasn't completely stable. I've decided to use the old marquee plexi as the spacers for the CP boxes. This will provide a solid mount for the boxes. Here you can see the gap. The gap will be mostly hidden with new t-molding.

Now the CP sits completely down on the brackets and the mounting holes line up perfectly. I will have to cut the corners off the right mounting brackets in both CP boxes to accommodate the right most buttons. I will also have to modify the left joystick bases a little to fit next to the left side brackets.

That's it for now. Next up I will be getting the CPs and coin doors powder coated and installing the controls in the CPs once that is done. Inching my way closer towards functionality.

Ground_Gainer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2013, 09:18:22 pm
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2011, 10:24:06 pm »
Glad to see this thread revived!!!  While MAME will indeed be awesome in here, it would also be totally sweet to get 2 Cadash boards and play some 4-player "networked" Cadash!

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2011, 11:06:38 pm »
Now with all the busy life stuff out of the way (and before I get to work on makin' babies)

Congratulations on the nuptuals and some advice from a father of two (oh, and married as well) . . . . .

Complete the cab before makin' the babies.  Ask how I know.   :cheers:

armi0024

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2023, 09:57:36 pm
« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2011, 11:06:47 pm »
That is an amazing cabinet!

DirtyDachshunds

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2014, 01:14:25 pm
    • First Project: MillerCade
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2011, 04:15:21 pm »
I love this project.  Are both screens just clones of each other?

Nephasth

« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2011, 04:37:06 pm »
Glad to see this thread revived!!!
Congratulations on the nuptuals and some advice from a father of two (oh, and married as well) . . . . .

Complete the cab before makin' the babies.  Ask how I know.   :cheers:
That is an amazing cabinet!
I love this project.

Many thanks! :cheers:

Are both screens just clones of each other?

Yes. Players on both sides will see the same image. On the plus side, both players in 2 player games will have their own monitor and won't be knocking each other's elbows. Another cool thing is you can look your opponent in the eye in the mirror under the marquee. What I will miss though (aside from the games I had running in the cabinet before) is the "mirrored view" from one screen to the other. In Run N Gun one screen would have a view from one end of the court, and the other screen would view the court from the opposite end. I wish MAME could emulate this.

While MAME will indeed be awesome in here, it would also be totally sweet to get 2 Cadash boards and play some 4-player "networked" Cadash!

I've never played Cadash before, I'll have to give it a try. Is Cadash not playable with 4 players in MAME?

I'm still waiting for a few more things to come together before getting the powder coating done. But I did buy some black poster board the other day. I will be making some new monitor bezels to replace the faded and stickered ones that are in there now. Should have those done before the end of the week.

DirtyDachshunds

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2014, 01:14:25 pm
    • First Project: MillerCade
« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2011, 04:50:34 pm »
I want to build a 2 player bartop arcade in the near future.  This cab is giving me ideas of a possible back to back bartop configuration with a screen on each side or two separate bartops that can plug into one another.

Thanks for the ideas!  Can't wait to see how it comes out.

Nephasth

« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2011, 05:20:11 pm »
I want to build a 2 player bartop arcade in the near future.  This cab is giving me ideas of two separate bartops that can plug into one another.

Love that idea! This is what I used to split my video to both monitors.

Nephasth

« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2011, 04:41:20 pm »
Managed to sneek in just enough project time today to make one of the new monitor bezels. Seems like everytime I work on this I'm being rushed. :P

Took the left bezel out of the machine and flattened it out. I taped it face down onto my poster board so it wouldn't move while cutting the new one out. After cutting trough some of the tape, I retaped the old bezel back down. Only tools needed for this were an exacto-knife and a cutting mat.

The new bezel cut out.

I used a steel ruler to measure the scores for the folds and also as a cutting guide for the scores. Made the folds where needed and glued the tab in place. After about an hour's worth of work here's the end result:

I'm going to try to make some time to make the other one before the week is over. But I've got quite a lot on my plate now after a recent road trip. On Monday I picked up 2 skeeball machines, an Operation Wolf that doesn't operate, and a Megatouch. Now my garage is pretty crammed.

Creepin' along...

Nephasth

Re: Two-Headed Beast MAME Conversion (Creepin' Along...)
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2011, 11:07:24 am »
The new games in my garage have been distracting me from working on this project. The Megatouch needed a serious cleaning, and now it's hard for me and the kids to stop playing it. :laugh: Tinkered with the Operation Wolf and after swapping out the power supply the game plays, but there is no sound or recoil, and the monitor is so fuzzy hits don't register when you pull the trigger, but your ammo does deplete. I think the monitor may need a flyback. This might have to go into storage for a long while until I can get the more important projects finished. All this has kept me from making the second monitor bezel.

However, progress has still been made. I've got 2 Sanwa JLWs on the way for player positions 3 and 4, also hardware and electrical connectors for the controls. Sometime soon (I hope), I will be able to order the U360s for player positions 1 and 2, and the CPs will be able to be fully assembled. I may not end up powder coating the CPs, I originally wanted them powder coated clear, but I think that may give them too much of a glossy finish. I just finished up drawing out the routing for the control wiring to have something to go by when it's time to wire these up. I've also made a crude pinout table for the CP connectors for easy harness assembly and any future troubleshooting I may have to do. There will be 4 connectors for each panel (remember, eventually these will be swappable). One for the control switches, and 3 for the RGB LEDs. I've attached the pinout sheet for those interested (pinout for players 2 and 4 are the same as players 1 and 3 respectively).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 11:25:46 am by Nephasth »

Nephasth

« Reply #93 on: July 06, 2011, 10:58:05 pm »
The JLWs arrived yesterday. I must say, they are very nice. One slight problem though. It wasn't until after I gave my friend the .dxf file to cut the CPs that I decided to go with U360s instead of MagSticks. The mounting hole pattern did not line up with the JLWs (and won't when the U360s arrive). Here I have the holes marked on the bases of the JLWs.

I don't own a dremmel, but I do have a few different air die grinders and a wide selection of carbide burr bits. The burr bits and high rpms made short work of making new mounting holes in the JLW bases. It's not very pretty, but it serves its purpose.

Although the JLWs are for positions 3 and 4, I mounted them to one panel to see how the CPs will look when I finally get my U360s. I've got 4 black ball tops and 4 smoke bubble ball tops. Haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning towards going with the smoke bubble ball tops. I'll have to see how they look with the buttons installed. What do you think?

-Side Track-
On the 4th I thought I'd throw together one of the skeeball machines. Took a little while to do by myself, but a floor jack made things a little easier. I bought both as "non working, but complete" units and was told this one needed a ball release solenoid. While putting it together, I replaced missing bulbs, and used the best easily removable parts from both machines (like switches and junk). Once together, I plugged it in and it lit up ready to go. Dropped a quarter in the coin slot and didn't hear it travel through the coin mech all the way. Pulled the mech out and hit the reject lever. Three coins dropped out, the one jamming the mech was 50 centavos from Honduras. Put the mech back in, dropped in a quarter, and BAM! the balls rolled down and she was set for a new game. Every now and again the ball release has trouble, but most of the time it works fine. Playing this really brings back childhood memories. Both my parents and my kids love playing this thing. If thatpurplestuff ever decides to release his software from his skeeball project, I'll probably convert my other machine to run it (wishful thinking, but it would be SWEET). Would be awesome to have an original set up next to one that is so versatile.

Donkbaca

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2011, 01:25:50 am »
I prefer the smoke

armi0024

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2011, 01:31:21 am »
I agree, smoke....

Nephasth

« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2011, 10:46:05 am »
Finished populating out the left CP this morning to get a better idea of what ball tops to go with. I'm still very undecided.

Black Ball Tops

Smoke Bubble Ball Tops

shrunkenmaster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2022, 10:17:33 am
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2011, 11:01:31 am »
Smoke! Although the black looks great too :)

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2011, 11:20:34 am »
Use the black and send the smoke ones to me. . . you don't need them. . . they are awful. 

In all seriousness, the clear button surrounds take on a gray/smoke cast from the black plungers when unlit, this makes me like the smokes.  Of course, the plungers are black.  Can't go wrong on this one. 

Nephasth

« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2011, 01:39:56 pm »
Smoke! Although the black looks great too :)

In all seriousness, the clear button surrounds take on a gray/smoke cast from the black plungers when unlit, this makes me like the smokes.  Of course, the plungers are black.  Can't go wrong on this one. 

This is exactly why it is hard to make a decision on this. Smoke will most likely be what I go with, won't know for sure for a while though. And I do have some pins reserved in my harness connectors for lit joysticks... ;)

shrunkenmaster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2022, 10:17:33 am
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2011, 01:56:26 pm »
While it's a hard decision and other people's input is great, the decision is ultimately yours as it's your project. So long as you're happy, we are too!

Nephasth

« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2011, 02:03:20 pm »
Well crap! Got keen to the idea of all smoke ball tops and went to check out the other two and this one has some deep surface scratches (top arrow) and a crack that goes in towards the center of the ball (bottom arrow). Guess I'll have to get another when I place my next order.

scofthe7seas

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2012, 11:33:10 am
  • I'm Eskimo. There's nothing here.
« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2011, 02:07:33 pm »
How the heck did that happen?

Nephasth

« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2011, 02:32:54 pm »
How the heck did that happen?

Don't know. But these were packaged in with the JLWs, maybe the box was dropped and the mount of a joystick hit it hard. Hard to say for sure. The other ball top that was in the same bag as that one has a light surface scratch that I'll be able to live with. But the two that are on the panel are just fine.

-Edited for spelling.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 02:56:03 pm by Nephasth »

armi0024

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2011, 07:39:30 pm »
I can't remember if you got those from us, just let me know when you order again, we'll take care of it. 

That looks more like a molding defect to me, but it's hard to tell.  The Chinese imitation balls look like that from time to time and we end up tossing a bunch out.

Nephasth

« Reply #105 on: July 07, 2011, 07:42:34 pm »
Thanks. I'll mention it when I place the order I've been arranging with Susan this weekend. :cheers:

Nephasth

« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2011, 07:27:10 pm »
Got the replacement smoke bubble balltop with my order of parts to do my MK fight stick button mod as well as the quick disconnects that are found on the Lono's harnesses. Thanks again Bryan and Susan! :applaud:

Finding the right quick disconnect terminals had been holding me up from wiring the CPs. Now that I have them, I've been able to start that process. I made the harnesses for the controls of each CP. Each harness is 22" long (figured it would be easiest to cut all the wires the same length and then cut to length when I install the harnesses on the CPs) and has a 24 pin Micro-fit Molex connector on one end. The other end of these harnesses will have the quick disconnect terminals installed. Only 20 of the 24 pins of the connectors are used on these harnesses, but their mating harnesses will use all 24 pins. Since I am using U360s for my main panels, they do not require wires ran to my Lono. But future swappable panels will be able to have switch type joysticks for players 1 and 2 since those pins are reserved and wired to the Lono.

After these are installed, I'll be making the remaining 6 harnesses for the CP RGB LEDs.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 07:31:47 pm by Nephasth »

Donkbaca

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2011, 07:43:55 pm »
 :applaud:

i need to learn me how to make some them harnesses

Nephasth

« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2011, 07:55:16 pm »
:applaud:

i need to learn me how to make some them harnesses

Thanks man. Post #69 has pics of the process and tools, as well as part numbers for some connectors, pins, and the all important dies for crimping the pins. Pretty easy, just tedious when doing it to so many wires.

Donkbaca

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2011, 07:59:20 pm »
Yeah, that's why I like the LONO, I HATE crimping wires..... 

Nephasth

« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2011, 08:01:19 pm »
I'm somewhat of a masochist.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2011, 11:37:50 pm »
I'm somewhat of a masochist.

Yes, yes you are, O' Master of Molex. I love black on black color schemes for everything except a bunch of wires bundled together  :dizzy:

Almost as bad as me putting the black labels on the black buttons on the black cp. 

Nephasth

« Reply #112 on: August 03, 2011, 01:11:35 pm »
Took some time this morning to install one of the harnesses into the player 1 & 3 panel. I'll probably get around to doing the player 2 & 4 panel on Friday. Here's a few shots. The long wire just hanging out is the earth ground and will be connected to one of the mounting bolts on the JLW.

A close up.

This shot shows the panel stood up on the CP box and where these harnesses will mate with the cabinet harnesses to make for easy panel swaps.

After the other harness is installed, I'll only have 104 more wires to turn into harnesses and 208 more tiny crimps. And that's just for the CPs. :dizzy:

Nephasth

« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2011, 10:54:06 pm »
Got the control harness installed in the player 2 & 4 panel. Also made up all the harnesses for the CP RGB LEDs. It feels like I've been wiring forever, but it's actually been about 7 hours total for making all the harnesses and installing the control harnesses in the CPs. I can almost see the light at the end of the CP wiring tunnel, but I know there's another long cabinet wiring tunnel up ahead...

Home base work station with both control harnesses installed. I had the towels down to keep from scratching my smoke bubble ball tops.

RGB LED harnesses. Top harnesses have 22 pin connectors and are 20" long, middle have 20 pin connectors and are 17" long, and the bottom have 18 pin connectors with 8 pins left open in case I light my joysticks down the road and are also 17" long. Mmmm... black on black on black... :drool

Part numbers:
24 Pin Connectors
   Male - 0430252400
   Female - 0430202401

22 Pin Connectors
   Male - 0430252200
   Female - 0430202201

20 Pin Connectors
   Male - 0430252000
   Female - 0430202001

18 Pin Connectors
   Male - 0430251800
   Female - 0430201801

Pins
   For Male Connectors - 0430300001
   For Female Connectors - 0430310001

I'm sure you're all getting tired of looking at this wiring. Just about done with the CP wiring. Then I will acquire a piece of lexan that will be mounted on the inside of the center strip of the cabinet with stand offs. I will use it to mount all my planned and future controls and lighting interface boards to. Once that's in, it will be time to install the Lono into the cabinet and run the cabinet control harnesses. Stepping ever closer to being playable. Still waiting for cash to fall in my lap so I can finally order the U360s. :P
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 10:56:14 pm by Nephasth »

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #114 on: August 05, 2011, 08:45:26 am »
Your wiring harnesses are very tidy.  Looking forward to seeing it finished! 

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: August 06, 2011, 09:50:12 pm »
... I had the towels down to keep from scratching my smoke bubble ball tops....

Now that's a real arcade man.  If not, you would have said "I have a towel down to protect the dining room table from my metal CP's"  :laugh2:

Seriously, you better put some key pins or something in all those black connectors. 

Nephasth

« Reply #116 on: August 06, 2011, 10:18:51 pm »
Your wiring harnesses are very tidy.  Looking forward to seeing it finished! 

Thank you. I'm just looking forward to progress right now. So many plans for this the finish seems almost unreachable, but I promise it won't take as long as Mission Control.

Now that's a real arcade man.  If not, you would have said "I have a towel down to protect the dining room table from my metal CP's"  :laugh2:

:afro:

Seriously, you better put some key pins or something in all those black connectors. 

Won't have to key the connectors. All the 4 pin connectors for the RGB LEDs will be cut to length. There will be 4 "big" connecters per CP/side, and they're all different sizes from each other. Each side will have a 24 pin, 22, pin, 20 pin, and 18 pin connector, and they are unable to mate with connectors of different sizes.

vast

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 27, 2023, 07:18:57 pm
« Reply #117 on: August 07, 2011, 03:33:30 am »
Wow, thats neat cabling there dude. Mine looks like a spiders web with spaghetti thrown on top.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:41:25 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #118 on: August 07, 2011, 05:47:11 am »
Looks great, but I can't say I agree on the choice of having the dust washers UNDER the panel. The stick holes' edges look mighty sharp, and you don't want to start bleeding all over your panel, do you?  :blah: But seriously, isn't it generally a rule to put washers on top for metal panels, and under for wood?

The wiring looks like what you'd expect from a factory made arcade panel.  :applaud:

Nephasth

« Reply #119 on: August 07, 2011, 07:12:45 am »
But seriously, isn't it generally a rule to put washers on top for metal panels, and under for wood?

I thought it was the opposite. Wouldn't a dust washer placed under a 3/4" panel create a 3/4" deep dust trap? As for the metal edge, it's laser cut and not sharp at all. Also, one reason I placed the dust washers under the panel is that I don't want the dust washer to create a scuff ring on the top surface.

The wiring looks like what you'd expect from a factory made arcade panel.  :applaud:
Wow, thats neat cabling there dude. Mine looks like a spiders web with spaghetti thrown on top.

Thanks guys, I'm kind of a wire nut. :lol