Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nanocade - The Acrylic Micro Cabinet - Cabinet plans made free to download!  (Read 44254 times)

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
Re: Nanocade - The Acrylic Micro Cabinet - Finished + specs (updated 31/01/11)
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2011, 08:45:42 pm »
Thought you might be interested in this, seems you can buy the weecade kit as well.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ARCADE-CABINET-BARTOP-KIT-DIY-FLAT-PACK-ALL-SYSTEMS-/180621920647?pt=UK_Video_Games_Coin_Operated_MJ&hash=item2a0de7c987

Hope he at least donates something for the design.
Cheeky f*@?

Wow thats about 300 Canadian or US dollars.  (we are at par lately  ;D

BurgerKingDiamond

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2021, 11:12:14 am
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2011, 07:12:48 am »
wow. what a piece of art. You should wear gloves when you play it. I can imagine all the fingerprints on that shiny acrylic.
-Welcome to the Fantasy Zone.

BurgerKingDiamond

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2021, 11:12:14 am
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2011, 07:18:06 am »
can you take some pics with your hand on the cp to show the scale?
-Welcome to the Fantasy Zone.

lokesen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 12, 2013, 12:17:33 pm
    • WeeCade & Project MAME
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2011, 08:51:29 am »
Yeah, I will post some pics of that soon.

I also added a link to where the KIT is sold: www.nanocade.com

Cheers
Weecade, Nanocade, Verticade, Project MAME and Taitorama

More to come...

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:41:25 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
Re: Nanocade - The Acrylic Micro Cabinet - Now it's for sale as a KIT
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2011, 03:45:47 pm »
Great idea with the joystick bracket!  :applaud: You should add pictures of popular brands mounted, such as HAPP, Seimitsu or SANWA so customers know it'll work.

Blanka

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2018, 03:19:28 pm
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2011, 04:55:42 pm »
What if I order the Bwittish option in mainland EU? Don't understand why it is cheaper to fly new zealand stuff to the UK than "knallerting" german stuff to NL?
Are the german's adding a we-already-have-a-good-economy-we-dont-want-more-work tax?

lokesen

• Offline Offline
    • WeeCade & Project MAME
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2011, 05:19:48 pm »
Great idea with the joystick bracket!  :applaud: You should add pictures of popular brands mounted, such as HAPP, Seimitsu or SANWA so customers know it'll work.

Thank you, It's actually a good product that just works well.

I have sold some already and gotten some pictures of them being used, I will post them soon on the homepage.

But it doesn't work with any Seimitsu joysticks though :/

More to come...

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:41:25 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2011, 07:48:23 pm »

What type of Seimitsu mounting plates did you try? Check akihabarashop.jp, they have drawings of all the plates available with measurements in mm that you can use to check out comparability.

lokesen

• Offline Offline
    • WeeCade & Project MAME
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2011, 03:25:28 am »
The mounting bolts are 66 x 77 mm, don't think any Seimitsu fits that.

Sanwa and Happ fits.

More to come...

lokesen

• Offline Offline
    • WeeCade & Project MAME
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2011, 03:26:28 am »
What if I order the Bwittish option in mainland EU? Don't understand why it is cheaper to fly new zealand stuff to the UK than "knallerting" german stuff to NL?
Are the german's adding a we-already-have-a-good-economy-we-dont-want-more-work tax?

You can choose both the German and the New Zealand factory for delivery to UK and Ireland...

More to come...

kingchimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 17, 2023, 08:59:20 am
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2011, 07:52:38 am »

What type of Seimitsu mounting plates did you try? Check akihabarashop.jp, they have drawings of all the plates available with measurements in mm that you can use to check out comparability.

When I looked a few months back they weren't there any more  :(

Fortunately a maker of fine arcade sticks on the srk forum has them in a flickr photostream.

In case you're interested:
Sanwa Mounting Plate Dimensions
Seimitsu Mounting Plate Dimensions

Blanka

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2018, 03:19:28 pm
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2011, 11:27:22 am »
You can choose both the German and the New Zealand factory for delivery to UK and Ireland...
But why not let New Zealand supply the whole EU? 70 bucks less.

lokesen

• Offline Offline
    • WeeCade & Project MAME
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2011, 05:16:24 pm »
But why not let New Zealand supply the whole EU? 70 bucks less.

The shipping is like $170 for the rest of EU. Don't know why it's lower for the UK ($85)...

More to come...

lokesen

• Offline Offline
    • WeeCade & Project MAME
« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2011, 06:23:28 am »
New version 1.1 ready

Easier to make and  lower price! No more drilling holes

USA: $219.95
Europe: $269.95

Check it here: http://www.nanocade.com

And see the new instruction booklet for changes:
http://www.nanocade.com/instructions.htm

More to come...

Ragu O Ragula

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2011, 12:50:00 pm
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2011, 01:46:24 pm »
New version 1.1 ready

Easier to make and  lower price! No more drilling holes

Ugh, I miss out on the better invisible bracket and now this? Punished for being an early adopter I guess.

Oh well, I got my kit and assembling it is proving to be challenging and fun. Trying to fit an ASUS Eee 1000HE inside; it's proven extremely difficult and I don't recommend it. I had to completely unhinge the two halves of the netbook to get the bottom half to fit inside, and fortunately the cable for the LCD screen has enough play to velcro it bare to the monitor panel. There's barely any space to access my USB ports though, so I'll have to get creative with that.

Another issue I'm running into is the control panel simply doesn't fit with an Ultrastik 360 installed using the invisible mounting bracket. I did all of my installation and wiring before mounting it, just to test and make sure all of the components worked. Unfortunately, the PCB hits the bottom panel, so the top of the control panel doesn't sit on the mounting guides at all. There's really nothing I can do about it except get a shallower joystick, so my only option is to mount it as-is and deal with the bottom panel not being flush (I don't have the facilities to get it drilled, so I was going to have to think outside the box anyway). I suppose I should have checked the maximum mounting depth before buying it, but I just assumed that using the same joystick as the prototype would be safe. For what it's worth, I'm not using a restrictor plate (I would have, but as has been an issue for years, it was simply impossible to install).

Hopefully I'll find a way to make everything work. I wasn't expecting everything to go smoothly, so in that regard I haven't been disappointed. I'm still very happy with the kit, as I've been eager to make my own MAME cabinet for years but lacked the resources to go full-size. A small, affordable kit was just what I needed to break into the hobby.

robertsig

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 03, 2018, 07:24:11 am
« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2011, 02:00:21 pm »
Another issue I'm running into is the control panel simply doesn't fit with an Ultrastik 360 installed using the invisible mounting bracket.

Wha?  lokesen?!

Did you measure it and get the full 51mm clearance that is claimed?

Ragu O Ragula

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2011, 02:53:42 pm »
I'll measure it when I get home. I believe part of the issue is that the control panel is supposed to be slightly angled, so the actual mounting depth is going to vary based on where it is measured. According to the Ultimarc page, it looks like the depth of the U360 is 50mm, so with the invisible joystick bracket I can see why this might not fit. Even still, it's not just 1mm off... with the bottom panel in and the control panel resting where it should be, the top of the control panel sits a good 5mm+ over the guides on the side panels.

I'm also using Seimitsu 24mm pushbuttons, same as the prototype, and the disconnects and wiring touch the bottom panel as well.

EDIT: Nevermind, I was putting in the bottom panel backwards. It didn't occur to me that the recessed part of the panel was designed to give the joystick extra clearance, I just thought it was for the PC parts, so I completely ignored it. Everything fits just fine now, though I honestly would have preferred the recess span the whole width like it's shown in the instructions, just to give my pushbutton wiring some breathing room.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 06:29:30 pm by Ragu O Ragula »

lokesen

• Offline Offline
    • WeeCade & Project MAME
« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2011, 03:31:39 am »
Sorry about that, I should have been more precise about how to turn the bottom panel. It's pretty hard to make instructions because what seems to be logic to me, isn't always logic to others. I really need the feedback from you guys.

In the next revision I will make the gap all the way across the again. I'm just trying to cut the cost as much as possible to make it less expensive.

If possible, please sent me some pictures, I'm eager to see your progress.

/lokesen

« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 03:38:41 am by lokesen »

More to come...

lokesen

• Offline Offline
    • WeeCade & Project MAME
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2011, 03:46:55 am »
New version 1.1 ready

Easier to make and  lower price! No more drilling holes

Ugh, I miss out on the better invisible bracket and now this? Punished for being an early adopter I guess.

Oh well, I got my kit and assembling it is proving to be challenging and fun. Trying to fit an ASUS Eee 1000HE inside; it's proven extremely difficult and I don't recommend it. I had to completely unhinge the two halves of the netbook to get the bottom half to fit inside, and fortunately the cable for the LCD screen has enough play to velcro it bare to the monitor panel. There's barely any space to access my USB ports though, so I'll have to get creative with that.

Another issue I'm running into is the control panel simply doesn't fit with an Ultrastik 360 installed using the invisible mounting bracket. I did all of my installation and wiring before mounting it, just to test and make sure all of the components worked. Unfortunately, the PCB hits the bottom panel, so the top of the control panel doesn't sit on the mounting guides at all. There's really nothing I can do about it except get a shallower joystick, so my only option is to mount it as-is and deal with the bottom panel not being flush (I don't have the facilities to get it drilled, so I was going to have to think outside the box anyway). I suppose I should have checked the maximum mounting depth before buying it, but I just assumed that using the same joystick as the prototype would be safe. For what it's worth, I'm not using a restrictor plate (I would have, but as has been an issue for years, it was simply impossible to install).

Hopefully I'll find a way to make everything work. I wasn't expecting everything to go smoothly, so in that regard I haven't been disappointed. I'm still very happy with the kit, as I've been eager to make my own MAME cabinet for years but lacked the resources to go full-size. A small, affordable kit was just what I needed to break into the hobby.

The old joystick bracket is actually stronger, but more expensive to send by air mail. So you actually got the better one if anything ;)

This is why I don't recommend using a netbook. But if you succeed, you have yourself a very inexpensive solution. I have a solution for your USB worries though:
http://cgi.ebay.com/40Cm-2PC-USB2-0-Angled-Male-Female-Extension-Cable-/160526894155?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item256026044b#ht_1624wt_1139

or
http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-0-Right-left-angled-angle-B-printer-cable-X2-/390293053317?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5adf475f85#ht_3246wt_1139

A ultra small cabinet is always a challange, I guess this is why my cabinets get smaller every time. I really love the challange :D
And again, I really look forward to seeing some pictures :)

« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 03:48:58 am by lokesen »

More to come...

Ragu O Ragula

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2011, 08:22:18 am »
The netbook was no trouble, I'm very comfortable working with computers and electronics, so I was prepared to take it apart. Those angled USB cables might work, but there's still very little clearance on the sides for it, so I'll have to do some trial and error.

The base of the netbook reaches from the back of the cabinet all the way to the control panel, and actually brushes up against the joystick and some of the wiring. The LCD sits nicely on the monitor panel with velcro, though the back of the netbook blocks the openings in the back of the nanocade for those USB ports. Would have been perfect if they were higher, but no worries, I probably won't need them. The controls are the only thing I need to plug in, and rather than connecting a keyboard, I can just access the netbook remotely through VNC.

Everything is assembled except for the top piece. The LCD is thin and quite a distance from the clear screen, so painting it might not cover up the metal brackets and all of the exposed electronics of the netbook inside. Need a custom bezel maybe? I'm also thinking about printing some artwork for the control panel. I'm impressed with how sturdy the whole cabinet is, and my family can't wait to start playing on it.  ::)

lokesen

• Offline Offline
    • WeeCade & Project MAME
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2011, 09:28:32 am »
Using a netbook is quite a DIY project, but im really looking forward to seeing the result.

Yes it really is sturdy, I think it feels even sturdier than a wooden cabinet. Almost like a solid brick of plastic.

it should be a good thing that the screen is mounted deeply, the cabinet will feel much deeper than it really is when looking at the screen. If you can keep it dark in there it should look fine.

/Lokesen

More to come...

Ragu O Ragula

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2011, 09:25:00 pm »
Well I'm just about to call it quits. Unfortunately I miscalculated how I'd need to install things and am now permanently stuck. The base of my netbook just manages to squeeze in through the bottom, having only 15mm clearance on either side. I had to patch my own USB cable together to make a connector that would fit, and I succeeded. However, there isn't enough clearance to actually insert the USB cable or the power cord while the netbook is inside, and inserting them while the netbook is outside makes it impossible to fit through the bottom. This would work perfectly if the control panel wasn't mounted already, because I'd be able to slide it through the front, but the whole cabinet is already assembled and impossible to take apart. Of course, even if I did that, it would permanently fix the netbook inside, which isn't really something I'd want to do either.

It was a good attempt, and those with the courage to dismantle a netbook the way I did will meet with success if they plan ahead, but unless I come up with an extremely creative solution, I'm afraid I'll have to call it quits. By the time I scrounge up enough money to get micro PC parts that will fit, I'd probably be able to afford a full size cabinet project.

lokesen

• Offline Offline
    • WeeCade & Project MAME
« Reply #102 on: March 02, 2011, 04:19:49 am »
I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm sure you can sell the cabinet with the button and UltraStik for the same price you paid for the parts here on BYOAC forum. The Nanocade KIT is clearly better for mini-itx parts than a netbook for sure.

In my experience a small cabinet is actually more expensive to make than a full size. The monitor, mother board and PSU is definitely more expensive the smaller you wan't it.

More to come...

robertsig

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: March 05, 2011, 09:59:13 am »
Any update on the alternate control panels?

Tlk269

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2011, 07:31:51 am
« Reply #104 on: March 05, 2011, 07:49:48 pm »
(sorry for my bad english)

i canīt understand how it is not possible to put a netbook inside of nanocade...
i see by the measure that there is plenty of space
if you take all the plastics of a netbook it will be able to get it inside of nanocade
i already bought the joystick (ultimarc) and the bottons, still waiting for them to arrive, and the Nanocade Invisible
Joystick Bracket v2 (still waiting to arrive), next step by the end of the month it will be the nanocade, and i want to put a netbook inside of it, nut i am thinking one that as dual atom 1,5ghz and with ion 2 graphics. do you think a netbook with atom n270 1,60ghz and intel shared graphics it will be enough?
Nanocade is a Great Project, unfortanely i would really like the white version and it is not available to Europe

lokesen

• Offline Offline
    • WeeCade & Project MAME
« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2011, 05:23:29 am »
The specs is enough for any of the older MAME games.

It is not easy to install a netbook inside the Nanocade, it's much easier to go with the mini-itx setup. If you shop around for used parts, it is pretty inexpensive to do.

Cheers!

(sorry for my bad english)

i canīt understand how it is not possible to put a netbook inside of nanocade...
i see by the measure that there is plenty of space
if you take all the plastics of a netbook it will be able to get it inside of nanocade
i already bought the joystick (ultimarc) and the bottons, still waiting for them to arrive, and the Nanocade Invisible
Joystick Bracket v2 (still waiting to arrive), next step by the end of the month it will be the nanocade, and i want to put a netbook inside of it, nut i am thinking one that as dual atom 1,5ghz and with ion 2 graphics. do you think a netbook with atom n270 1,60ghz and intel shared graphics it will be enough?
Nanocade is a Great Project, unfortanely i would really like the white version and it is not available to Europe

More to come...

lokesen

• Offline Offline
    • WeeCade & Project MAME
« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2011, 05:24:07 am »
Any update on the alternate control panels?

Send me a PM and will make a custom CP for you :)

More to come...

Tlk269

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2011, 06:13:01 am »
@lokesen

Can you tell the space that i have in nanocade to put a netbook?
the real space and measures please, the height and depth.

lokesen

• Offline Offline
    • WeeCade & Project MAME
« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2011, 08:56:09 am »

More to come...

Tlk269

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2011, 05:59:03 pm »
well i ready it but i couldnīt get to a good conclusion so if you could help it will be very nice
or at least tell me the size of your itx
thanks

lokesen

• Offline Offline
    • WeeCade & Project MAME
« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2011, 05:02:36 am »
From the manual:

Space inside for ITX board/nettop/netbook: Width: 274 mm x Minimum Height directly under
monitor: 35 mm  - 56 mm depending on monitor used

More to come...

lokesen

• Offline Offline
    • WeeCade & Project MAME
« Reply #111 on: March 14, 2011, 06:13:43 am »
I have made a new joystick bracket available for Seimitsu / Sanwa joysticks.

More to come...

junga

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2014, 10:48:08 pm
« Reply #112 on: March 28, 2011, 03:59:00 pm »
lokesen,

In version 1.1 of the Nanocade, you changed the moldings.  On pages 9 and 10 of your instruction manual shows how they're fixed to the side panels.  Page 25 explains the kinds of screws that should be used.  It looks like you're screwing directly into the acrylic.  Is that correct?  When you used this method, how did the acrylic in the moldings hold up?  I was thinking of doing this prior to starting, but didn't think the acrylic would hold up without cracking.  However, if it works, I may use this method for mine rather than using threaded inserts.

Cheers,

/Julez

Mikeosoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 27, 2013, 10:38:00 pm
« Reply #113 on: May 26, 2011, 04:46:45 pm »
hey is this project over?

The website says so... Sorry to hear that if so... I really wanted to get one of these :badmood:

robertsig

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: May 26, 2011, 04:51:40 pm »
I have two kits that I'm building now...it'll just take some time for me to finish them.  I surmised his endeavor wouldn't last too long, so I bought them while I could.

lokesen

• Offline Offline
    • WeeCade & Project MAME
« Reply #115 on: May 27, 2011, 02:55:18 am »
Hi guys!

I think I need to explain why I think the Nanocade KIT cannot continue to be sold on regular commercial basis.

I think the biggest problem is that the Nanocade requires knowledge on how to put together a computer, how to modify cables, how to glue together acrylics, how to manage software and making a front-end work, and then it also requires you to be more than average into retro gaming.

On top of that it is cheaper to put together a fullsize MAME cabinet.

It all comes down to that the Nanocade KIT is only for a very very few people really. On the other hand I have had hundred of requests for a finished Nanocade. Most of them is scared away when they realize the price of making one.

When that's said, I really do love the Nanocade, and it is by far my favourite MAME cabinet.

If any of you guys still wan't to make a Nanocade cabinet, contact me and I will make a kit for you on request.

More to come...

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
« Reply #116 on: May 27, 2011, 01:43:33 pm »
Well, in my opinion the kits requires knowledge and experience in too many domains at once:
- acrylics (I know I wouldn't want the potentially toxic fumes of the acrylic solvent in my apartment, and doing things outside requires warm weather, which is only maybe 1/3 of the year for a lot of people)
- electronics (at least enough to shorten USB cables, which BTW are available in much shorter lengths - contact me if 10 inches cables would do, I have  100+ of those)
- computer building (that step isn't too steep, however, since a "nerd friend" could probably help if the case was easy to build)
- software setup (again, could require a "nerd friend" but once the computer is up and running, software is the easiest part)

Also, don't be afraid to stick with the fact that you're only selling a custom computer case, not a system with software tech support on the side.

Look at flat-pack furniture as an example. They don't require you to glue or file anything, you usually only need a single hex key to build it all. The acrylic isn't a bad idea, you just need to add inserts so that one would only use bolts to assemble it.

lokesen

• Offline Offline
    • WeeCade & Project MAME
Thus making it even more expensive :)

Unless a Chinese company will mass produce it, it is only for the few skilled MAME cabinet builders interested in small cabinets :)

More to come...

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
Good of you to still offer the kits on an individual basis.   It looks great but you are right alot of skills have to fall into place to properly assemble and build the complete cab. :applaud:

robertsig

• Offline Offline
Re: Nanocade - The Acrylic Micro Cabinet - Now it's kinda for sale as a KIT
« Reply #119 on: June 07, 2011, 04:13:47 pm »
I'm building mine but ran into a snag once I bought my Lilliput FA1046.   I don't have room for its AC adapter in the Nanocade, so I figured it must be powered off the PicoPSU on the mini-ITX mobo.  Is that true?  Do I just hack up the Lilliput wallwart and wire it into the 12V and ground from a MOLEX connector?

If so, yes or no, can anyone recommend some Radio Shack materials or give recommendations on how to make it secure and safe?