Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GAMEBOX Multi-Game Platform TV Video Game Console -MAME-  (Read 119223 times)

shanghaiguide

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2023, 02:37:34 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: GAMEBOX Multi-Game Platform TV Video Game Console -MAME-
« Reply #240 on: June 27, 2012, 08:50:31 am »
I could look at the video below in another country, but not from China  :banghead:

Government   :censored: :soapbox:  :angry: :cry: :blah:

I never had a GBA so don't really have anything to compare it to.
Tried a couple of games - they are all annoying BS intro stuff, text, click a, more text, click a.. spent about 5 minutes doing that in 3 or 4 games (nothing wrong with the unit, its the games that had the annoying intros!), then the battery gave out.
I don't have a charger, as they shipped the wrong cable, so won't be able to take a closer look till Friday.

This one also doesn't have TF or USB like the one I asked my staff to buy, and gave the exact link for purchase to.  So, will file this in the not so useful pile for now.
Will see if the "charger" is a usb style cable or not, if so will put it in boot mode and see if it will talk.

The ChinaChips ones use an *identical* bootloader to the JZ series, so shouldn't be too hard.  I think Ingenic and ChinaChips either collaborated, or Ingenic bought the SoC off of ChipChips for the JZ47xx series.  Not sure, but I do know that they're more separate now than they were before, as they've diverged pathwise since.

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2015, 10:19:10 pm
« Reply #241 on: June 27, 2012, 09:10:02 am »
I could look at the video below in another country, but not from China  :banghead:

Government   :censored: :soapbox:  :angry: :cry: :blah:

I never had a GBA so don't really have anything to compare it to.
Tried a couple of games - they are all annoying BS intro stuff, text, click a, more text, click a.. spent about 5 minutes doing that in 3 or 4 games (nothing wrong with the unit, its the games that had the annoying intros!), then the battery gave out.
I don't have a charger, as they shipped the wrong cable, so won't be able to take a closer look till Friday.

This one also doesn't have TF or USB like the one I asked my staff to buy, and gave the exact link for purchase to.  So, will file this in the not so useful pile for now.
Will see if the "charger" is a usb style cable or not, if so will put it in boot mode and see if it will talk.

The ChinaChips ones use an *identical* bootloader to the JZ series, so shouldn't be too hard.  I think Ingenic and ChinaChips either collaborated, or Ingenic bought the SoC off of ChipChips for the JZ47xx series.  Not sure, but I do know that they're more separate now than they were before, as they've diverged pathwise since.

hopefully the great firewall of china doesn't block this link. has plenty of pics of the gamebox model

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/3-lcd-gamebox-advance-game-console-mp3-mp4-multimedia-player-w-tv-output-tf-silver-2gb-81512

still haven't been able to find any usb boot drivers for win7 x64 so i haven't been able to tinker with my model. would have at least liked to dump the firmware from it. the nes emulator could prove useful down the road.

iscariot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 14, 2022, 02:00:34 pm
« Reply #242 on: July 09, 2012, 12:37:19 pm »
I would think building a MAME version for minios would be easier.  Shanghai, if you want to PM me I'll see if I can figure something out.  I need to know a bit more on the HW though....if I've got like a USB slot for a KBD or something.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #243 on: July 09, 2012, 04:18:30 pm »
i've pretty much put this stuff on hold for the moment. haven't looked into getting replacement hardware and instead have been focusing on getting myself some sort of cabinet to actually play mame with first. Once i have that sorted out, i may try to pick up another nd300 or gbx model to tinker with.

a little update from the official gamebox side, i believe i briefly mentioned earlier that a mutual friend had email correspondence with the gamebox guys. he did forward me their email and i asked them about the status of their gamebox in regards to future development etc. two days later they shut down their gamebox.hk domain. hope i didn't jinx them or something.

iscariot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 14, 2022, 02:00:34 pm
« Reply #244 on: February 14, 2013, 12:39:19 pm »
Hey folks....just a heads up, I haven't forgotten about this.  Still plugging away.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #245 on: February 14, 2013, 01:29:28 pm »
Hey folks....just a heads up, I haven't forgotten about this.  Still plugging away.

I did manage to collect and document a few more of these units but gave up tinkering with them shortly thereafter. I really would have liked to have gotten my hands on one of those igenic powered jamma units though.

shanghaiguide

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2023, 02:37:34 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #246 on: March 14, 2013, 03:03:56 pm »
Hold out for  my arm based one ;)