Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What can you tell me about this Cabinet Style???  (Read 4632 times)

WhereEaglesDare

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2014, 08:47:08 pm
  • Shut Off All The Compactors on the Detention Level
    • My HomePage
What can you tell me about this Cabinet Style???
« on: January 09, 2011, 11:05:26 pm »
I am planning on buying a cab in this style next weekend!  I'm excited because, since I already have a MAME Cab, I decided to make this a dedicated cabinet. 

What games, other than StarGate, used this cabinet?  I like StarGate, but want to see what options I have.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 09:31:43 am by WhereEaglesDare »

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
Re: What can you tell me about this Cabinet Style???
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 11:34:19 pm »
How about making it a Williams Multi like this?

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=88974.0;all#lastPost

http://www.jrok.com/hardware/wsf/

I really want to do something similar but I've got a couple of other projects to finish first.

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 09:23:51 am »

What games, other than StarGate, used this cabinet?  I like StarGate, but want to see what options I have.

None.  The only game that came in that cab was StarGate.

My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

WhereEaglesDare

• Offline Offline
    • My HomePage
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 10:01:14 am »
Hmm perhaps I can make paint it back to the Stargate art and controlpanel and marquee and then put the multi williams board in it.

I imagine the Multi WIlliams Board will cost about as much as a good working StarGate board.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 03:22:53 pm »
Hmm perhaps I can make paint it back to the Stargate art and controlpanel and marquee and then put the multi williams board in it.

That would be a good way to go.  Make it look like stargate, but mod the control panel to play the other games.

I imagine the Multi WIlliams Board will cost about as much as a good working StarGate board.

Probably around the same price.  Jrok board goes for $135 but they aren't in stock right now.  You can wait until they are (no ETA) or pay more from someone that already purchased one.  A full StarGate board set will cost you $100+.  In the end, probably less hassles with the Jrok board.
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

WhereEaglesDare

• Offline Offline
    • My HomePage
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 05:18:59 pm »

That would be a good way to go.  Make it look like stargate, but mod the control panel to play the other games.

I think I know the answer to this but I wanna be sure.  Are the JROK boards licensed by the holders of Williams?

Also, for controls all Id have to do is add a JAMMA Harness right?  The cab was converted so it should already have a harness.

Also it is hard to tell from pictures I find.  Was the original Sideart painted on or was it a laminate?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 05:25:31 pm by WhereEaglesDare »

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 06:40:43 pm »
JROK's board isn't licensed... but then again who currently owns Williams arcade licenses?

The side art was stenciled on...

You're going to want to install a JAMMA harness if you go the JROK route if the cab's already been converted.

There are some kickass Williams Multigame stencils designed for that cab... you may want to consider that route....or if the current side art is in good shape,  just touch it up.

Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

WhereEaglesDare

• Offline Offline
    • My HomePage
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 10:30:32 pm »

There are some kickass Williams Multigame stencils designed for that cab... you may want to consider that route....or if the current side art is in good shape,  just touch it up.

I don't think it has any sideart at the moment.  I'm googling the stencils, I didn't even think of that.  Stencils would be an awesome solution for sideart, I may even do it for my MAME cab too.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 10:03:30 am »

I don't think it has any sideart at the moment.  I'm googling the stencils, I didn't even think of that.  Stencils would be an awesome solution for sideart, I may even do it for my MAME cab too.

I'll save you the search.

StarGate stencils

Multi-Williams stencils

And here is a stencil guide done using a StarGate mini

WhereEaglesDare

• Offline Offline
    • My HomePage
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 11:31:27 pm »
Do they come as one piece folded up or is it several parts for each stencil?  I understand that you start with red, then add the black stencil, the the yellow stencil, but does each one come in one piece?

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 08:06:31 am »
It depends on the game.  Gyruss stencils for example are all one piece and you tape off the colors you aren't painting.  However, most stencils are setup as one sheet per color.

If you used the StarGate stencils, you would paint the cab red, apply the black stencil and paint.  Then apply the yellow stencil and paint.  The stencil guide I linked to above will walk you through the whole process.  

EDIT:  The stencils will come rolled in a tube.  Each color is a full sheet.  Check out my Robotron and Pac-man restores for examples.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 09:41:35 am »
EDIT:  The stencils will come rolled in a tube.  Each color is a full sheet.  Check out my Robotron and Pac-man restores for examples.
Consider it required reading!

caryrobert

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 20, 2011, 05:37:34 am
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 01:50:25 am »
Hi,

If you are planning to buy this cabinet than I think that star gate game is possible and also one more game is possible.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 01:54:38 am by caryrobert »

piecesof8

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2014, 08:50:24 pm
  • The party boat is here.
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 12:00:34 pm »
While Frizz's Multi-Williams in the Stargate cab is undeniably a thing of beauty, have you considered building a massive 4P control panel out of 2x4's and bolting it to the front?  >:D

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 01:49:53 pm »
While Frizz's Multi-Williams in the Stargate cab is undeniably a thing of beauty, have you considered building a massive 4P control panel out of 2x4's and bolting it to the front?  >:D

How about this?: Yikes!

piecesof8

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2014, 08:50:24 pm
  • The party boat is here.
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 01:55:21 pm »

That one's pretty nice, but not quite as nice as the one I was thinking of. Don't click this link. Don't say I didn't warn you.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 02:06:31 pm »
HOLY :censored:!!!!!

:puke

WhereEaglesDare

• Offline Offline
    • My HomePage
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 10:11:19 pm »

That one's pretty nice, but not quite as nice as the one I was thinking of. Don't click this link. Don't say I didn't warn you.

That is INSANE! 4 ft by 2 ft?!  thats ridiculous!  anyways, I'm off to get it tomorrow!!!  look forward to pics of the raw cabinet!

WhereEaglesDare

• Offline Offline
    • My HomePage
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 09:47:31 am »

WhereEaglesDare

• Offline Offline
    • My HomePage
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 08:20:05 pm »

I don't think it has any sideart at the moment.  I'm googling the stencils, I didn't even think of that.  Stencils would be an awesome solution for sideart, I may even do it for my MAME cab too.

I'll save you the search.

StarGate stencils

Multi-Williams stencils

And here is a stencil guide done using a StarGate mini

Do you use regular spray paint from Lowes or do you have a compressor and a paint gun and all that?

Will spray paint work fine?