Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Best Buy fail = I win!  (Read 17340 times)

dre-w

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2015, 10:45:17 am
  • The Breakfast Club
    • FB... b/c my wife made me do it
Best Buy fail = I win!
« on: January 09, 2011, 09:18:14 pm »

Went to Best Buy today and this is exactly why I always stop to "just look" at the video game sections.  My wife is always complaining about that saying I'm wasting time or whatever..  well today I showed her!

Saw Super Mario Galaxy 2 and the price card behind had the Best Buy label at $19.99!  Immediately grabbed the game and price card, got in line, handed them to the kid at the register and said, "So this game is $19.99, right?" ..Should've seen this kids eyes get big when he saw the error (looked like the gamer type) He went and got the manager and he stood there for a minute studying the price card labeled incorrectly and he just said, "Hmm, this isn't right.." and I just said "Hey that's how it was when I went over there so.."  Then he just rang me up, I win!!!

What's even more funny was Super Mario Galaxy was sitting right next to it labeled $49.99.. How could the second game be $30.00 cheaper than first!!??  I'm going to keep this receipt just because I love how it says $30.00 discount.   ;D
These machines will be the death of me

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
Re: Best Buy fail = I win!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 09:27:10 pm »
Nice score.  :cheers:

Best Buy can be butts about that type of thing sometimes.  Glad it worked out for you.

dre-w

• Offline Offline
  • The Breakfast Club
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 09:46:29 pm »
Nice score.  :cheers:

Best Buy can be butts about that type of thing sometimes.  Glad it worked out for you.

Thanks man. Yea I know what you mean.  I'm so stoked because I was holding off on getting that game for so long and it paid off.  Not only that but I went in there with intent of getting a DS game, because I only need 30 more points on the Club Nintendo site to get the exclusive Game & Watch Collection DS game.  I almost ended up getting one but I decided to make my rounds down the other video game aisles and found the Wii game priced incorrectly.

So really I got a Wii game I've been wanting for a long time instead of a DS game for the same price, I got 50 points instead of the 30 points I needed, and now I'm getting a free exclusive DS game from Club Nintendo site.  I got to say, today was a good day.

HanoiBoi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2016, 09:52:03 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 10:19:17 pm »
I don't agree with this thinking.  If you know something's labeled wrong, why should you expect them to honor that incorrect price?  What would you have done if they said "I apologize, but that price is incorrect and we really can't sell it to you for $19.99."? 

Do you think there's a possibility that someone could lose their job for that incorrect pricing?

Went to Best Buy today and this is exactly why I always stop to "just look" at the video game sections. 

Are you saying that you actually look for this kind of mis-pricing?  Often??  If so, might I suggest scanning the Automobile and Real Estate sections of your newspaper.  Just one omitted zero....  :cheers:

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 11:26:03 pm »
Actually yes. It is the store's responsibility to accurately price their products. If they don't it's their own fault.

dre-w

• Offline Offline
  • The Breakfast Club
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 11:40:44 pm »
I don't agree with this thinking.  If you know something's labeled wrong, why should you expect them to honor that incorrect price?  What would you have done if they said "I apologize, but that price is incorrect and we really can't sell it to you for $19.99."?

Wow you're cool..  I knew they had to honor that price because when I used to work at places like Sears, Big 5, etc. they had to honor whatever the price tag read.  Now, I can see them not giving it to me if it was something ridiculous like $1.00, but this was no price tag/sticker that anyone could've just peeled off another game and stuck it on there (ticket switching) this was an actual Best Buy label/sticker affixed to the card that read "Super Mario Galaxy 2: $19.99" so I knew they had to honor it.

Do you think there's a possibility that someone could lose their job for that incorrect pricing?
No

Went to Best Buy today and this is exactly why I always stop to "just look" at the video game sections.  

Are you saying that you actually look for this kind of mis-pricing?

Umm, that's exactly what I said
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 01:26:41 am by dre-w »

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 03:50:21 am »
I got it for free and didnt even play it......................

I am gangster like that :burgerking:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 03:52:14 am by SNAAKE »

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 10:30:30 am »
I really try to support B&M when I can, but lately all my purchases are newegg.com and amazon. The hassles of dealing with the retail stores make physically shopping a rarity for me these days.
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

BobbyG66

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2016, 11:52:09 am
  • Current project: Dodgeball
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 12:32:07 pm »
If something is labeled incorrectly, the store pretty much has to honor it. Unless someone is switching labels.
I always demand they do, it false advertizing if they don't.

I have a buddy that stops by Stop & Shop every couple of days and checks the DVD's.
Every couple of weeks, he finds one for $5.00.
Half of the people you meet are below average.

Mikezilla

• I have a hairy back and everything!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2017, 07:06:56 pm
  • I can't see the picture darn it!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 12:39:46 pm »
I don't agree with this thinking.  If you know something's labeled wrong, why should you expect them to honor that incorrect price?  What would you have done if they said "I apologize, but that price is incorrect and we really can't sell it to you for $19.99."? 

Are you saying that you actually look for this kind of mis-pricing?  Often??  If so, might I suggest scanning the Automobile and Real Estate sections of your newspaper.  Just one omitted zero....  :cheers:

Lol youre kidding right!? Its not like its some Mom and Pop place trying to make a buck here, this is Best Buy we are talking about. They pretty much cornered the retail side of the electronics market. Well, here in CA at least. Going to the losing the job part, no, I dont think they would lose their job, but I imagine they would be reprimanded for not doing their job correctly. Kudos to getting that find, I wish I could find stuff like that.

I agree with the person that said its false advertising. Besides, they do stuff like that for quality control. Albertsons says that if they dont label their groceries correctly, if it rings up at a different price, you get the damn thing free. Same kind of thing if you dont get a recepit at Panda Express, you get it free. Its to keep people in line so they do their jobs, because if they screw up and dont do it, they pretty much get called on it because they know who is responsible. I think its great. Screw Best Buy, they can afford it. That game has made a ton of money anway.  :cheers: :applaud:
Pictures are overrated anyway.

Mikezilla

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 12:41:10 pm »
Actually yes. It is the store's responsibility to accurately price their products. If they don't it's their own fault.

Totally agree. Besides, the S in MSRP is "suggested". They could charge 19.99 if they WANTED too, but instead they screwed up. Good job for sticking it to em!

newkillergenius

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2013, 03:48:35 pm
  • A mind is a terrible thing to taste.
    • The Mystery Revealed!
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 01:01:00 pm »
 :applaud:

Don't ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- where you eat, my friend.

ErikRuud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2021, 10:20:27 am
  • I'll build a cab for only 99.99.99!!!
    • Erik's humble video game page
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 01:06:47 pm »
Yes, it is the stores responsibility to make sure that items are priced correctly.  I don't go out of my way looking for pricing mistakes, but I have gotten a few "deals" that way over the years.

I am surprised that more stores haven't gone to electronic price displays.

We have Kohl's department stores in our area, not to be confused with kohl's grocery stores that I have seen is some areas.  Kohl's has these small LCD displays that can be updated via a wireless broadcast.  I am sure there could still be pricing mistakes with these, but they pretty much eliminate the problem of employees forgetting to take down the sale prices after the sale period is over.
Real Life.  Still a poor substitute for video games!       
American Laser Games Wrapper
O2em Rom Utility

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 04:41:45 pm »
Lol youre kidding right!? Its not like its some Mom and Pop place trying to make a buck here, this is Best Buy we are talking about. They pretty much cornered the retail side of the electronics market. Well, here in CA at least. Going to the losing the job part, no, I dont think they would lose their job, but I imagine they would be reprimanded for not doing their job correctly. Kudos to getting that find, I wish I could find stuff like that.
Americans wanting everything so cheap regardless of consequence (or making a buck, regardless of consequence) is why you have such a ---smurfy--- economy for the last 2 years. "It's Best Buy we are talking about" could just as easily be worded as "it's people clinging to low-paying jobs we're talking about".
NO MORE!!

Mikezilla

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 05:41:26 pm »
Americans wanting everything so cheap regardless of consequence (or making a buck, regardless of consequence) is why you have such a ---smurfy--- economy for the last 2 years. "It's Best Buy we are talking about" could just as easily be worded as "it's people clinging to low-paying jobs we're talking about".

What difference does it make if Im American? And judging by that remark you must be canadian then. Consequence? Really? So youre saying some dumbass that screwed up at work shouldnt get reprimanded, even if it means the business lost money, just because he has a low paying job? I work at a bank, if I screw up, I have feds breathing down my neck, not to mention Im a manager so Im responsible for an entire branch. With money as the main aspect of the entire business. Yeah, I get paid more than a sales associate at Best Buy, and Im human so Im going to screw up, but when I do, I get in trouble for it. I dont even know what your point is, except to talk ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- about Americans.

Damn right PBJ. Just because a person has a low paying job, doesnt mean he cant do it correctly.

Take a look at our economy for beyond the past few years.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 06:03:19 pm »
I love it when you are looking at laptops at best Buy, the salesman (or saleslady) walks up and the first thing they say is "I dont get any kind of commission."

But you start talking about knocking off a little on the price, or throwing in a free wireless mouse and they say, "let me ask the manager."

Works every time.

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2012, 11:21:39 pm
  • Newer isn't always better.
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 07:02:06 pm »
Damn right PBJ. Just because a person has a low paying job, doesnt mean he cant do it correctly.

The whole false advertizing thing was to stop stores from bait and switching. If you see something is accidentally/ unintentionally priced wrong and you buy it for that wrong price, you are no better than the person who sees a wet floor and slips on it to get an easy lawsuit settlement.

By the way, Best Buy doesn't fail from your win. Just like it hasn't failed from all the other forms of theft. It'll just have the rest of us pay more to absorb your deception.

Edgedamage

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2018, 12:21:23 am
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 07:03:19 pm »
Love it, last year my dad calls and tells me "I just bought a $1300 TV but the bill shows $680". My personal fav was when I bought $62.17 in gas and I said would pay by debit, he enters the price and all I see on that little screen is $2.17 OK? Dammm right OK!
Curls in the squat rack !?!?!

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 07:10:11 pm »
If you see something is accidentally/ unintentionally priced wrong and you buy it for that wrong price, you are no better than the person who sees a wet floor and slips on it to get an easy lawsuit settlement.

By the way, Best Buy doesn't fail from your win. Just like it hasn't failed from all the other forms of theft. It'll just have the rest of us pay more to absorb your deception.

Seriously?  The game was labeled a certain price and he jumped on it.   He did absolutely nothing wrong.  If they didn't have to honor it, there's no saying which stores are "accidentally" labeling products lower to spur sales from people who either aren't paying attention or are too apathetic to complain.   Thankfully, consumers have rights and part of those rights is to have products accurately priced on the floor.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 07:14:32 pm by DaveMMR »

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 07:35:13 pm »
I work at a bank, if I screw up, I have feds breathing down my neck, not to mention Im a manager so Im responsible for an entire branch.

I think that you picked the absolute worst possible example of responsibility on the entire planet ... not really up on current economics, are you ?

As to RayB's point, part of the point that I think it was making is that the same people who scream "Buy American, Save Our Jobs" are the same folks who are happy to take advantage of mistakes that cost the American economy money. In this case, the mistake didn't hurt the foreign companies who made, licensed and sold the product, but rather the American company who sold it.

That, and the fact that Americans (and Canadians for that matter, to a lesser extent) want things as cheap as possible, which is the primary reason that manufacturing (and other) jobs have flown the coop.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 07:51:55 pm »
The whole false advertizing thing was to stop stores from bait and switching. If you see something is accidentally/ unintentionally priced wrong and you buy it for that wrong price, you are no better than the person who sees a wet floor and slips on it to get an easy lawsuit settlement.

Is everyone sitting down?

+1.

I don't understand the moral justification that it's OK to take advantage of a mistake at a big store but it's not at a mom-n-pop store. I don't see how the morality changes based on who the victim is. Best Buy will certainly be hurt less by the mistake, but that doesn't change the morality (good, bad, or indifferent) of one's actions.  :dunno

I don't think much of Best Buy's sales tactics either. They range from pushy to outright deceptive (premium digital cables?), but it's my conscience I have to answer to when the day's done.

--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 08:18:43 pm »
I went to a clothing resale store recently because someone had given me some long-sleeve button-up shirts that didn't quite fit me. Out of four or five, they only wanted one, and offered two dollars. I asked them whether they donated clothes, they said yes, and I said they could keep the remaining items I'd brought.

The place uses these special credit cards that are kept when the credit runs out on them. When at the counter for the one item I was keeping, out of four I had tried out, the cashier told me I had about $14 on the card. ?? She said maybe the card hadn't gotten zeroed out before they gave it to me. Well, I did want one other of the remaining three items - so I bought it with the credit on the card.
-Banned-

Gorotsuki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2011, 10:51:25 pm
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 08:21:57 pm »
International and big business have no morals, and care nothing about us.
The fact that you can work at Best Buy and be poor is a testament to that.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 08:24:00 pm by Gorotsuki »

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 09:27:57 pm »
To detractors of the OP's deal, I have a similar story from the early 90's:  I was at a record store and there was an Aerosmith box-set with two different prices - one for the cassette version and one for the CD version.   The CD version was accidentally priced at the cassette price (at least $10 cheaper).  I didn't know that was the case and brought it to the register where I was informed it was labeled wrong.  I resigned to putting it back, without an argument or a complaint, but the cashier stopped me and told me THEY HAD TO honor the price.  

This is not about "sticking it to the man".  Businesses have a level of "accountability" they must adhere to and that includes pricing their products accurately and non-deceptively.  Sorry the employee made a mistake or someone was having "an off day".   Just because someone's job is labeled as "minimum-wage and trivial" doesn't make it any less important to the company.  

Even though my job doesn't deal with customers in the normal sense (we're a title company dealing with mortgage customers), we OFTEN lose money because of simple mistakes because someone didn't charge a certain fee or did something wrong in the process.  

It is not the customers' job to ensure employees are doing their job correctly (we can go the cynical route and even theorize that a disgruntled employee may sometimes mislabel products on purpose).  If someone gets a substantial discount on an item, it should be a cheap lesson that management needs to zero in on the problems that exist in their organization.  If it doesn't, well it's doomed to fail anyway.

EDIT (Another Point):  Discarding rules, etc. - it may actually cost stores MORE in the long run denying borrower his/her credit in part due to a pricing error.  Best Buy says that the price is not valid and suddenly you have a customer who (a) now distrusts the company and (b) will probably not return with, at least, hopes of scoring another "unadvertised deal" and possibly buying something else while there.   I think some repeat business was worth more than the $30 they lost that day.   They'll consider it a "loss leader" and move on.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 09:42:56 pm by DaveMMR »

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 09:47:35 pm »
Don't get me wrong - I don't object to getting good deals and I think it's fine to take advantage of a price mistake if the store is willing to honor the mistake. That kind of service brings repeat customers. I have a strong objection to "sticking it to the man" attitudes.
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

crashwg

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2019, 11:01:05 am
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011, 11:26:23 pm »
About 10 years ago I was working for Home Depot as a "Lot Attendant" (Cart Pusher) and I noticed there was a box of area rugs labeled with the price of the box next to it which was $20 or so less.  I brought it to the attention of my immediate supervisor and mentioned that I was thinking about buying one tossing in a "if I were a regular customer you'd give it to me for the miss-marked price."  Surprisingly enough, she went for it.  WIN  :P

Maybe a year ago Walmart had an end-cap of those upside down tomato planters marked at $5 when they were still $10-12 or so.  Took a bit of work to get the right personnel over there to get the deal but again, put another one in the WIN column!  After the fact I was kicking myself for not getting a few to give as gifts but when we decided to buy it we'd thought the price was legit and we could come back and get more.  Oh well...
If there's bees in the trap I'm catching em
By the thorax and abdomen
And sanding the stingers down to a rough quill
Then I dip em in ink, and I scribble a bit
But if it they wriggle then I tickle em until they hold still
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:47:13 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2011, 01:13:07 am »

Ed_McCarron

• Nothing worse than Picard issuing the self destruct order and the next thing you know it your apartment blows up.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2022, 02:33:39 pm
  • Get your mind out of the gutter. THIS is a dongle.
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2011, 07:50:46 am »
we OFTEN lose money because of simple mistakes because someone didn't charge a certain fee or did something wrong in the process.  

Yup.  I mess up on a quote, I honor it, even if it means I eat the cost of the screwup.  It's my signature, I said I'd do the job for this, why shouldn't I have to?

Is it any different with Best Buy?  Or a mom and pop store?  They post a price, the signature and quote is implied -- they've said they will deliver this item for this price.

I hold up my end of the deal by paying, they should hold up their end of the deal by honoring the price they've listed at.
But wasn't it fun to think you won the lottery, just for a second there???

scream1973

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2014, 10:28:46 am
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011, 10:30:54 am »
it's more common that you would think...
http://smartcanucks.ca/canadian-code-of-practice-scanner-price-accuracy/

I have actually had this happen on a number of occasions. Including getting the item for free when its under $10.00 .. It was just some toiletry items at shoppers drug mart but the shelf said one price and the cash register had another so she just threw it in the bag and said you get this item for free.. thats our policy..

Mikezilla

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2011, 11:30:35 am »
I work at a bank, if I screw up, I have feds breathing down my neck, not to mention Im a manager so Im responsible for an entire branch.

I think that you picked the absolute worst possible example of responsibility on the entire planet ... not really up on current economics, are you ?

I am up to current economics thank you, notice how I didnt say WHAT bank, but you assume most banks work with money right? Not ALL the American banks are in the toilet now anyway, most of them are back to being in decent shape. What Im saying is, like everyone else mentioned, is that if I screw up, I have to honor my mistake. If I quote a CD rate wrong, I have to give it to the customer at what rate Im quoted at. Like others have said, you need to eat the cost because it was your mistake. Thats all I was saying. RayB pissed me of at his "You Americans" remark. I hate that ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:02:44 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2011, 11:35:16 am »
RayB's just mad because 'Canada is like a loft apartment over a really great party. "Keep it down, eh?"'

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2011, 11:37:24 am »
I needed to buy cheap plastic business card holders for a project I was working on. I looked online and found some at Office Depot for $2.13. Since I didn't want to pay shipping, I just printed out the product page (which said I could get it at the store for the same price) and headed over to the store across the street from where I work.

At the store they had these stupid hunks of plastic for $15 each. I needed 5, so I grabbed them, but there was no way in hell I was spending $75 for 5 plastic business card holders. I brought the online printout to the service desk and let them know the price was wrong at the store. The manager told me that I was a "thief printing out a forgery" so I told him to go look online himself. He went online and found the product at the same price I did. Then started swearing and pulled out his price policy book, slamming in down as hard as he can in front of me. Sure enough, they had to honor online prices like the web page said.

The manager turned to me and said, "Well I guess you win, but it is ---smurfs--- like you that are destroying the Office supply retail Industry." I left a few choice words with him as I left with my card holders, but I could see the dude needed an enima. Asshat.

I guess my whole point is that it is not the job of the customer to interpret what prices are mistakes, and what prices are reasonable to believe correct, we are not product purchasing analysts. I don't think that $75 for 5 clear plastic business card holders is correct, but that dude somehow though I was ripping them off and thought the $2.13 was a price mistake.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2011, 11:47:35 am »

I am up to current economics thank you, notice how I didnt say WHAT bank, but you assume most banks work with money right? Not ALL the American banks are in the toilet now anyway, most of them are back to being in decent shape. What Im saying is, like everyone else mentioned, is that if I screw up, I have to honor my mistake. If I quote a CD rate wrong, I have to give it to the customer at what rate Im quoted at. Like others have said, you need to eat the cost because it was your mistake. Thats all I was saying. RayB pissed me of at his "You Americans" remark. I hate that ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.

25 years in financial services in both Canada and the US specializing in risk management and compliance, which makes me believe that it is unlikely that *you* are eating the cost of your mistakes (other than perhaps a hit on your perfomance review), but rather it is your employer ... and people seem to believe that it is OK to rip off corporations.

And, yeah, I can understand the incendiary nature of the "You Americans" remark ... we Canadians get that stuff all the time ... mostly from "You Americans"

:P

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2011, 12:04:52 pm »

25 years in financial services in both Canada and the US specializing in risk management and compliance, which makes me believe that it is unlikely that *you* are eating the cost of your mistakes (other than perhaps a hit on your perfomance review), but rather it is your employer ... and people seem to believe that it is OK to rip off corporations.

And, yeah, I can understand the incendiary nature of the "You Americans" remark ... we Canadians get that stuff all the time ... mostly from "You Americans"

Sure they can. They can take the money right out of any bonus earned. They could also fire you, demote you, cut your salary, etc. If employees screw up big enough, they will eat their mistakes. Business 101.

That's beside the point though, You say it's the customers fault for ripping off these corporations, I say it's the corporations job to ensure they don't get ripped off. Best Buy could have made sure they got $50 for Mario Galaxy by putting a $50 price tag on the game. Putting a $20 price tag on Mario Galaxy is a pretty good way to ensure the customer buys it for $20. Not the customers fault that he/she pays the price on the tag. And being American has nothing to do with liking the $20 price tag and jumping on the deal.

Frigo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2011, 04:23:54 pm
  • My spoon is too big.
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2011, 12:26:58 pm »
Nice score. I had something similar happen to me at BB over the holidays. I found a wireless card for my desktop priced at 29.99. the rep rings it up at 69.99. I tell her where I found it, she checks the tag, and sure enough, cheap wireless card bought! Of course she removed the tag as we walked away from the display so no one else could cash in. Right place, right time, I guess.  :cheers:

Mikezilla

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2011, 12:38:46 pm »

I still have a bottom line Im supposed to hit for the branch, so if Im paying some dude extra money off a CD for half a million dollars for a year, Im going to eat the mistake, thats less money I can work with to rate match other people, lose out on possible promotions, bonuses, etc. Pretty much exactly what Vigo said. And yes, given how some corporations aquire money, I dont feel bad for "ripping them off". Take a bank I used to work for, US Bank. They rip people off all the time, why do you think the banks had to overhaul the way fees get incurred? Because some senators son got ripped off and bam. Now the ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- is changed. The problem with these corporations is that they have SO MUCH MONEY. I really dont think Best Buy is going to be hurt by the mistake. How often does that happen anyway?

Well, RayB has had some scathing remarks before, and I have never mentioned anything about Canada at all except that I want to go there. Im just tired of the blanket remarks like that. It just seems like the trend. "Talk ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- to americans cause its their fault all our economies are tied into theirs so when their ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- hits the fan, so does ours".  :blah:

But I get your joke.  :cheers:

Mikezilla

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2011, 12:39:52 pm »

Sure they can. They can take the money right out of any bonus earned. They could also fire you, demote you, cut your salary, etc. If employees screw up big enough, they will eat their mistakes. Business 101.

That's beside the point though, You say it's the customers fault for ripping off these corporations, I say it's the corporations job to ensure they don't get ripped off. Best Buy could have made sure they got $50 for Mario Galaxy by putting a $50 price tag on the game. Putting a $20 price tag on Mario Galaxy is a pretty good way to ensure the customer buys it for $20. Not the customers fault that he/she pays the price on the tag. And being American has nothing to do with liking the $20 price tag and jumping on the deal.

See, right on the money, AGAIN Vigo.  :applaud: :cheers:

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2011, 12:44:03 pm »

In many jurisdictions, for financial services, taking the money from the employee would violate a number of regulations. The other stuff falls under the bad performance review and also ends up costing the employer still more money. Business 102.

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2011, 01:00:28 pm »

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2011, 01:02:30 pm »
You can penalize them, but you can't take the same amount of money right out in financial services.

Doesn't really matter anyway as that was a specific response to a specific situation that is unrelated to the topic at hand.