Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How to restore cdg playing on wmp12 in windows 7  (Read 9459 times)

abispac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:01:09 pm
How to restore cdg playing on wmp12 in windows 7
« on: January 09, 2011, 01:34:08 pm »
I have posted my problem at the freebox forums with no real solution so ill give it a shot here.
I have a pc running windows 7 ultimate, i use to be able to play karaoke files in cdg formart with the open source karaoke plugin.I dont know what happened but now im not able to play any of the cgd files, i get an error http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/C00D1199 with not alot of help on the microsoft side.
Now on windows xp the fix was easy, uninstall the plugin,uninstall wmp11 , install wmp11 again and the plugin as well and the problem was gone, but on windows 7 im stuck with wmp12 so i cant really do that kind of fix. I have tried a wmp11 downgrade hack that did not work either.
I know i can use winamp or some other software to play cdgs but i really wanna fix this and use wmp12 as freebox (etouch) uses wmp engine to play the files. So any ideas or help would be apreciated, thanks for reading. :cheers:

Thenasty

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:21:30 pm
    • Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical monitor setup.
Re: How to restore cdg playing on wmp12 in windows 7
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 01:49:23 am »
Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical setup.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=26696.0

Free VGA Breakout Cable
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=38228.0

Ultimate All in One Coin Mech write up (Make your own)
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=19200.0

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 08:55:57 pm »
did you try this already ?

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/t/11036.aspx
thanks for the help, i tried that today and it didnt work for me. too bad. im still searching for an answer, thanks

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 05:40:29 pm »
How about a link to the plugin?

I used to be pretty good at tricking wmp to play stuff it shouldn't back in the day. ;)

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 07:37:48 pm »
hope you can solve this one,casto. http://sourceforge.net/projects/karaoke-dx/files/karaoke-dx/2.3/karaoke-2.3.zip/download the thing is, wmp does take the plugin and it does play cdgs, until somenthing happens, (wich i new what it was) and then sudently stops playing the cdgs, the only solution on xp its to unistall wmp11 and everything comes back to normal, so it may be a problem with wmp11 and 12 not in wmp10. good luck as im still looking for an answer. thanks

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 12:11:55 am »
Sorry man... it's the codec itself that has trouble. 

Played with it for over an hour... worked flawlessly.  Then I tried "enter sandman" crashes on "in your closet in your head" every single time.  I've played the song with other plugins countless times over the years so I know that's not an issue.

I think with free coedcs, unfortunately you sometimes get what you pay for. 
I will say this though.... I can still play the files just fine... I just get a crash from that one.  You might look to see if the renderer is "hanging" and that's why you can't play the files anymore. 

Things to check:
1.  Manually associate cdg files with wmp12 (no registry nonsense, just right-click and "open with")
2.  Install a codec pack like ffdshow... it allows you to tweak codec settings better than wmp.. I'm using it right now myself so that might be why I can play stuff. 
3.  Make sure your files will play on another wmp codec, even if it's a shareware one... it could be corrupted cdg files afterall. 
4.  This is a stupid one... but remember, you open the cdg file, not the mp3... the other way around won't work. 

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 11:32:49 am »
Sorry man... it's the codec itself that has trouble. 

Played with it for over an hour... worked flawlessly.  Then I tried "enter sandman" crashes on "in your closet in your head" every single time.  I've played the song with other plugins countless times over the years so I know that's not an issue.

I think with free coedcs, unfortunately you sometimes get what you pay for. 
I will say this though.... I can still play the files just fine... I just get a crash from that one.  You might look to see if the renderer is "hanging" and that's why you can't play the files anymore. 

Things to check:
1.  Manually associate cdg files with wmp12 (no registry nonsense, just right-click and "open with")
2.  Install a codec pack like ffdshow... it allows you to tweak codec settings better than wmp.. I'm using it right now myself so that might be why I can play stuff. 
3.  Make sure your files will play on another wmp codec, even if it's a shareware one... it could be corrupted cdg files afterall. 
4.  This is a stupid one... but remember, you open the cdg file, not the mp3... the other way around won't work. 

has to be something ealse cus
#1 i have done that, still no problem
#2 i have the klite codec pack, dont know if is a complete ffdshow pakage
#3 cdg files play just fine on media player classic or winamp or any other player, the problem seems to be only with wmp
#4 i know about that , but  some times you miss the small things first but im pretty sure i do that every time.

one thing i did notice i get the problem when i installed slysofts virtual cd. maybe the install corrupts somenthing in the bin files configuration on wmp.
also you mention that there are paid cdg plugins, can you recomend one please, thanks for the help.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 10:18:55 pm »
heres an update, i found that if i click on the cdg file, wmp gives me the error , but if i drag and drop the file into wmp , wmp plays the cdg track just fine, so its not an error with the codec as the codec its actualy working, i tried to "always open with media player" option but i still get the error. please someone help me fix this thing. thanks

Jukecade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2017, 04:39:18 pm
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 10:27:18 pm »
I use  http://karaoke-dx.sourceforge.net/  with WMP12 and have had no problems.

You may need to activate the other 'Channels' to get some cdg to show correctly though
Jukecade - The Jukebox for your MAME Cabinet

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 10:42:56 pm »
turning more channels on does not help either, but if you can do me a favor, can you install slysoft virtual cd, too see if you get the problem as well? but once you get it , theres no easy fix...let me know.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 09:35:39 pm »
found a solution at the freebox forums thanks to hit big and heist:
Ok, after a bunch of trial and error with Windows 7 and Windows Media Player 12 I have finally got everything to work (the same as WMP 11 on XP) I downgraded WMP 12 to WMP 11 with the following downgrade script Windows7WMPDowngrader_1.1.exe http://www.iamkizer.net/freeboxjukebox/files/skins/V4skins/Downloads/Windows7WMPDowngrader_1.1.exe Also I downloaded a newer version of Karaoke for DirectX which now allows videos for the karaoke screen background karaoke-3.0-beta3 http://www.iamkizer.net/freeboxjukebox/files/skins/V4skins/Downloads/karaoke-3.0-beta3.zip (Barry may want to include this updated karaoke zip in future versions of E-Touch.)

Here are the steps I took to downgrade from WMP 12 to WMP 11 on Windows 7:

1. Uninstall Karaoke for Direct X if you already have it installed (also go into Program Files and delete the folder if it is still there)
2. Do a regedit and seach the registry for .cdg and delete any entries it finds for .cdg
3. Run the Windows7WMPDowngrader_1.1.exe and let it do its install. After it's done reboot.
4. After rebooting install karaoke-3.0-beta3 and reboot again
5. After rebooting go into your Karaoke song folder and right click a .cdg file and choose Open With and then choose Windows Media Player and make sure the "Always use the selected program to open this type of file" box is checked
6. The .cdg should now open in WMP 11 and start playing (at least it did for me after doing this a few times)

Hope this helps some of you out

The only issue I am now having in E-Touch for any WMP 11 PC (XP and Windows 7) is that when first opening E-Touch if you choose a Karaoke song the ID3 Tag info does not show up when playing and when going into the Now Playing screen and hitting the lyrics box, it's jumps you back to the main album page. But if you hit the skip ahead arrow and play another Karaoke song, the ID3 Tag info shows up fine and you can go into the Now Playing screen and tap the lyrics box and it goes to full screen. I have recreated this on my Windows XP WMP 11 jukebox, and my Windows 7 WMP 11 PC with exactly the same issue. So it isn't specific to an operating system, just WMP 11. Maybe Barry could take a look at it and see if he can get the same thing happening with WMP 11 as I have. I know it worked the first time I tried it (after installing) but after the second try it starts occuring (only after first E-Touch boot up). Also, if Barry could get the Auto Full screen to work just on Karaoke/Video and not Audio that would be even better.

BTW, here's a screenshot using an image as a background for karaoke in E-Touch (go into the Karaoke for DirectX settings in the start menu and choose an image under the CD+G settings tab, I'm sure a video would even look cooler)