Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arkanoid spinner refurb question  (Read 6709 times)

rerun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2017, 12:44:17 pm
Arkanoid spinner refurb question
« on: January 08, 2011, 09:41:19 pm »
Hello everyone!  This is my first post so please forgive me if I don't post correctly, or if I'm asking something that's already been asked 978 times.  I used the search function to see if this has been covered before but didn't find anything, so here goes.

I recent purchased an Arkanoid mini-cab (www.gregburrus.com/arcade/arkanoid) and am slowly trying to get it in better shape.  Current project: figure out why I lost all video 2 weeks ago.  I dropped it off at the local electronics shop today but the owner said he may have problems finding parts.  Sidebar question: anyone have a good Electrohome G07-902 chassis (or complete monitor) for sale?

On to my question.  My spinner makes the "brrrRRRrrr" noise, and I'd like to solve that problem.  Are there any parts I can replace to eliminate this issue?  I see that Arcade Shop Amusements has bushings for Tempest and Tron spinners but no specific bushings for Arkanoid spinners. 

I do not believe the brrrRRRrrr issue hinders game play.  I say this because I haven't even played the game yet.  I bought it on eBay back in June and had a friend pick it up for me and store it until I traveled his way for the holidays.  The video disappeared a week before I picked it up (of course) so I haven't gotten to play a single game yet - he played it all summer with no issues.  However, I know the board is still working because I can start the game and hear the music - that, and I spun the spinner and my vaus hit a ball, so the PCB is good.

Thank you very much for any ideas/websites to read/whatever!

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
Re: Arkanoid spinner refurb question
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 10:30:58 pm »
I dropped it off at the local electronics shop today but the owner said he may have problems finding parts.

He shouldn't have any problems finding parts for that monitor.  If he does, send him to Bob Roberts to get what he needs.

On to my question.  My spinner makes the "brrrRRRrrr" noise, and I'd like to solve that problem.  Are there any parts I can replace to eliminate this issue?  I see that Arcade Shop Amusements has bushings for Tempest and Tron spinners but no specific bushings for Arkanoid spinners. 

I don't know if I would call that sound a problem since it seems to be the way those spinners are built.  I've yet to see one that didn't make that sound.
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

rerun

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 01:02:33 am »
He shouldn't have any problems finding parts for that monitor.  If he does, send him to Bob Roberts to get what he needs.

Spyridon, thanks for the Bob Roberts link.  If Bob Roberts offers what my local electronics shop "can't find" I'll definitely provide them with your link. 

I don't know if I would call that sound a problem since it seems to be the way those spinners are built.  I've yet to see one that didn't make that sound.

As for the spinner noise, I guess should have been more clear - what I meant to say is that it seems the spinning action isn't quite fluid, and the brrRRRrrr noise is what's cluing me off.  The capital R's in the sound description aren't meant to reflect speed, they're meant to reflect a cacophony that isn't normal (in my opinion).  It's as if the spinning action isn't uniform - you spin it and it's fine, then suddenly it acts crazy and makes a noise, then settles back down.  Man, this is hard to describe in words now that I think of it. 

Back in the 80's when I played Arkanoid I don't remember the spinner making that much noise, but when spun the one in my cab does make the above (poorly) described noise.  Maybe I'm just crazy and shouldn't put the cart before the horse - I should get the monitor working first before I worry about other stuff.

Basically I'm curious as to whether these Arkanoid spinners are refurbishable and if yes, where I can get parts.  If no, I guess I need to A) deal with the sound and/or B) just buy a new spinner from Happ (or eBay or whomever).

Thanks again!

Many thanks for the reply!

EwJ

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2022, 10:16:06 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 01:33:27 am »
IIRC those spinners do not spin freely, i.e. they should have slight resistance all the time as they are geared.  See the Happ page and check out the exploded view, compare it to yours.  From your description, it sounds as if some of the gears are not meshing properly.  Check yours for any misalignment, broken or worn teeth, etc.

You may be right about the cart before the horse though - if you have a fried game board or monitor, your spinner isn't going to do any good whether it's ok or pooched. From your blind test, at least it sounds as though your board and spinner may be good and if your friend played it all summer with no issues, with luck it's just the monitor.
If it turns out your spinner needs parts, maybe divemaster can help out.

rerun

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 10:23:27 pm »
I sent my chassis out for a rebuild and after installing it today my Arkanoid is alive - hurray!  Now I can attack the next issue....

Regardless of whether I spin the trackwheel knob left or right my vaus only moves left (the left side of the screen as you're looking at it).  If I spin right, the vaus moves left.  If I then spin left, the vaus moves left.  If I then spin right again the vaus moves left.  Once it's all the way to the left side of the screen it won't move again (won't move right at all).

Any ideas of whether I can adjust/clean something to restore its proper functionality?  Or should I just begin saving up for a new trackwheel? 

Thanks very much!

« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 10:26:20 pm by rerun »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 03:16:33 am »
Those spinners are notorious for the "brrrr".
I converted a Arkanoid cocktail into my Canucks cocktail cabinet (linked in my sig), and had to restore those spinners; I can say I've got them to be a lot less "brrrrr-y". The gears get dirt trapped in their holdings which makes their gears off-spin, also within their gear teeth. I ended up taking them apart, used WD40 to clean everything, then lubed the gears and holdings with some joystick bearing grease (any light grease will do though). They're a lot more silent and seem to be more accurate when spinning.  

Now if you're still getting these movement errors after a good clean and greasing, then you might wanna look at your optic boards. They may be faulty, or the spinner wheels in them might have those square little holes damaged or missing.  If the wheel looks good, then I'd say your optic boards are at fault.
I ended up buying some new optic boards from fixumdude here.  Great products, very high quality boards, and his service was wonderful.
Much cheaper solution than buying new ones!
 :cheers:

MaineEvent

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 10, 2015, 07:45:33 pm
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 04:32:21 pm »
Could it also be a wiring problem? I just put together an Arkanoid and it's spinner.. I found this info helpful for wiring up the spinner, having never done it before.
http://www.zumbrovalley.net/readpost.php?artid=1

My Games:
Arkanoid

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 10:38:14 am »
I had that same movement problem with mine.  Turned out to be a bad optic board.
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 03:26:23 pm »
First thing: Clean the optic (the part inside where the wheel spins between two plastic things)
NO MORE!!

rerun

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 05:48:22 pm »
How should I clean it and what should I clean it with? Thanks.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 07:07:16 pm »
cloth, damp q-tip, whatever works. It's just plastic.
NO MORE!!

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 08:50:58 pm »
Q-tip and isopropanol

codecrank

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2017, 08:47:39 pm
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 11:01:44 pm »
I have an Arkanoid 2 cocktail cab ( another unfinished project  ::) ), both spinners sound just like this :

When I first got the cab, they were not so smooth. One of them sounded terrible, the sensor wheel just needed a little adjustment as it was hitting the opto couplers. Then I lubricated the gears, which helped but i accidentally dropped some oil on the opto coupler... It cleaned up just fine using some Goof Off on a q-tip, followed by alcohol .

hope this helps !