Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ANother Windows Question Regarding shutdown  (Read 1582 times)

Hituro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2016, 01:12:43 am
ANother Windows Question Regarding shutdown
« on: January 23, 2011, 03:04:26 am »
Is there a way to make a video or flash file play just before the computer goes to shut down?  Not sure how to do this, would assume some kind of batch file?  But I have a button press in Maximus, and if held down for 10 seconds it shuts down the computer.  I know there's an option to run an application on exit of Maximus, but I think that only relates to exiting the FE and not shutting down the whole computer.  Any information would be greatly appreciated! :)

JODY

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2024, 05:06:29 pm
  • After a long delay...the arcade is underway!
Re: ANother Windows Question Regarding shutdown
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 10:43:13 am »
Once shutdown starts doing its thing, there is no guarantee that anything attempted to be started afterwards would run.  If something was and it actually started, it could be killed at anytime.

I think a better approach would be to execute a script when you want to shutdown.  The script would first display what you wanted to see at shutdown, then after that was up and running or done have the script initiate the shutdown.  Thus giving you control over what to complete prior to shutdown.

I don't have Maximus so can't discuss how to change the behavior of the key you are pressing.  If you need help with a generic type script to execute something and then start a shutdown, I could probably help.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 10:46:00 am by JODY »

Dexter

• Patriotism, the last refuge of the scoundrel. -- Irish, darnit!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2024, 04:36:19 pm
  • "MAKE POVERTY HISTORY......."
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 12:53:10 pm »
I use some software called 'macro angel' that executes lists of commands etc. It can launch stuff, pause and shutdown upon detecting combinations of keypresses. Might be worth a look

Blanka

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2018, 03:19:28 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 02:13:41 pm »
Most of the time if I want to turn off my computer, even the normal shut-down process takes too long  :hissy:. A pull on the powerswitch is the most convenient way to shut down  :laugh2: So why torture someone with a shutdown movie? Or is it a cherry on the also annoying but necessary windows-update-cake?

Thenasty

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:21:30 pm
    • Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical monitor setup.
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 03:52:42 pm »
my shutdown process take less than 1 sec (I just flick the main switch off, hehe I use DOS for OS)  ;D
Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical setup.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=26696.0

Free VGA Breakout Cable
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=38228.0

Ultimate All in One Coin Mech write up (Make your own)
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=19200.0

Hituro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2016, 01:12:43 am
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 01:08:04 am »
Most of the time if I want to turn off my computer, even the normal shut-down process takes too long  :hissy:. A pull on the powerswitch is the most convenient way to shut down  :laugh2: So why torture someone with a shutdown movie? Or is it a cherry on the also annoying but necessary windows-update-cake?

Well, my theme for my cab is Zelda.  So what I had in mind, is when you go to shut down, it would show the game over screen from Legend of Zelda 2: Link's Adventure along with the Gannon laugh.  I have it as a flash movie file since I don't think I can change the Shutdown image.  I'll probably just have to write a script that plays the flash movie and then initiates shutdown.  I just don't know how to do that...

But if you weren't sure what I was talking about, he's an image :)