Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: (another) Space Invaders  (Read 23978 times)

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
(another) Space Invaders
« on: January 06, 2011, 10:10:54 am »
First of all, I would like to announce that I plan to steal as much from this thread as possible.   :droid

This was a two pack of games pulled from the same dank, dirty basement.  Space Invaders and Star Castle!

This one (unlike Star Castle) is structurely sound.  Currently the game shows the following on the screen

First let's look at what we have to work with.

The control panel is in really good shape, but appears to be a reproduction as it doesn't match the pictures on KLOV or the reproduction at TOG.

The bezel is Plexiglas and not glass like the earlier original runs.  It's is good shape with only a bit of flaking near one of the aliens

Unfortunately, someone carved their initials into part of it.  Not too noticeable as I didn't pick up on it at first.  Maybe some Novus can take it out?

Coin door looks to be in decent shape and should look nice with a fresh coat of paint

Monitor overlay is starting to peel so I'll be looking to replace that

My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
Re: (another) Space Invaders
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 10:11:34 am »
Moving on to the back, their is no upper door and the back drop is just thrown in there

I'll have to see the best way to restore this or look for a replacement

Lower back door is here, but has swollen to the point that it doesn't fit on the cab.

Since the door didn't fit, the previous owner decided to use their trusty hacksaw blade to hold the interlock switch in place

I guess he didn't realize that you can just pull it out   :laugh2:

The moon appears to be in good shape (just dirty) and the black light is working.
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 10:15:17 am »
Let's do a little clean up

CP looks good, but I want to go original, so I'll be getting one of these:

Bezel cleaned up pretty well also

I'll also be replacing the overlays with new ones

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 10:25:25 am »
Time to look inside to see why the game isn't working.  First to check the power supply voltages.  Here is a good reference on how to test the power supply.

Initial test of the +5v line was reading +6.1.  Way too high, but before I could adjust it, magic smoke started leaking out of one of the large capacitors on the power supply.  I quickly shut it down and will be doing a complete rebuild of the power supply. Does anyone know if BobRoberts sells a complete rebuild kit for this power supply?  I don't see one listed.

Okay, let's take a look at the monitor

Hmmm, what is that copper wire?  Let's take a closer look

My guess is a horizontal width coil?  Can anyone tell me what monitor is in this cab.  I couldn't see any markings on it.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 10:26:34 am »
Well, I think that is enough projects to keep me busy for a while.  This one will get the full stencil treatment and hopefully, SI # 3564 will be back in business

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 11:28:27 am »

My guess is a horizontal width coil?  Can anyone tell me what monitor is in this cab.  I couldn't see any markings on it.

Doing some research on this, it looks like I have the Motorola M5000.  The broken part is indeed the horizontal width coil.  Anyone know where to get a replacement?

EDIT:
Also confirmed monitor from Bob's site

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 12:55:49 pm »
Does anyone know if BobRoberts sells a complete rebuild kit for this power supply?  I don't see one listed.

Bob got back to me and he doesn't have a complete rebuild kit, but he does have a cap kit ($15)

RetroACTIVE

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 04:27:52 pm
  • Gramps
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 01:23:07 pm »

My guess is a horizontal width coil?  Can anyone tell me what monitor is in this cab.  I couldn't see any markings on it.

Doing some research on this, it looks like I have the Motorola M5000.  The broken part is indeed the horizontal width coil.  Anyone know where to get a replacement?

EDIT:
Also confirmed monitor from Bob's site

Hey Spy... I'll have to check... I'm replacing my monitor with another ... the one I have works perfectly ... not sure if its WG or Motorolla... if its a moto I'll hook you up with a chassis.
Happy Gaming!

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 01:30:52 pm »

if its a moto I'll hook you up with a chassis.

Excellent.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 01:59:48 pm »
Did a rebuild on the Power Supply

Here is what I started with:

Removed all the caps:

New caps installed:

I also marked all the test points on the board so I wouldn't have to keep looking it up.

When I tested out the pots prior to the rebuild, the -5v and +12v ones seemed fine, but the +5v was giving me some bad readings.  And since I couldn't adjust the +5v before the rebuild, I replaced it.  I decided to replace all three at the same time.

Plugged the board back in and started to adjust the voltages (without the main board plugged in).  The +12v and -5v pots worked fine and I dialed in the correct voltages.  The +5v pot, however, had no effect on the voltage.  The +5v was reading +6.21 volts which is exactly what it was reading before.  Turning the pot had no change on the voltage!   :angry: 

Any suggestions on what to do with the +5v?

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 09:27:49 am »
That power supply uses the LM305 for its 5 volt regulator... probe that to see if its doing its job... I suspect it may not be  :cheers:

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/nationalsemiconductor/LM305.pdf

Man do I want to get back to my SI!!!!  Life has taken over again  :(
Happy Gaming!

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 03:18:29 pm »
That power supply uses the LM305 for its 5 volt regulator... probe that to see if its doing its job... I suspect it may not be 

I'll check that out.  Thanks for the link, that will help me figure out how to test it. 

I did replace the 2n3055 transistor but that didn't help.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 08:46:25 pm »
That power supply uses the LM305 for its 5 volt regulator... probe that to see if its doing its job... I suspect it may not be 

Some progress, but not quite there yet.

I checked the LM305 and it was taking in +12.92v unregulated and spitting out +5.82v.  I replaced it and now it is much closer to +5v.  However, now I'm down to +4.78v at the test point and the pot still doesn't change the value.  I need to look at the schematic and see what is between the LM305 and the test point.

At 6.2v, I was getting garbage on the screen, at 4.8v, I don't get anything on the screen.  Probably need to get it up around 5v to get any output.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 07:42:05 pm »
An update on this.

With the PCB disconnected, I am reading 4.94v at the +5v test point on the power supply.  Adjusting the pot does not change the voltage.

Hooking up the PCB, the +5v drops to 0.651v.  The -5v and +12v are fine.

Something on the PCB is sucking the power down. 

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 11:32:06 am »
I picked up a replacement backdrop

Also, acquired a nonworking PCB and a working Power Supply to help troubleshoot the issues I'm having.

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 11:30:40 am »
Spy... ring out the decoupling caps on your PCBs... there may be one shorting out... loading down your power.  Look for < 1 ohm
Happy Gaming!

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 02:34:24 pm »
Spy... ring out the decoupling caps on your PCBs... there may be one shorting out... loading down your power.  Look for < 1 ohm

I think it has to be something with the power supply. One works fine, but the other gets the voltage dragged down when connected to the PCB.  If it was a PCB issue it would happen with both.

camz0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2011, 01:56:52 pm
Space Invaders Deluxe
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2011, 01:56:52 pm »

I need to get to work on my space invaders deluxe.
:):)Thanks,Cam    (camz0):):)

boardjunkie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2019, 06:05:58 pm
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 10:46:00 am »
If the 5v adj does nothing, there is a problem with the reference voltage section that feeds the 3055 pass transistor. Do not pass go until you get this straightened out.

robbie00

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2011, 12:34:00 pm
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 07:46:08 pm »
I just picked up a Space Invaders last night and mine seems to have the same symptom yours does.....Take a look...is there anything in common with your box and mine and anything I can rule out so far?
Up for advice on a starting point.

Sometimes the sound makes a loud noise continuously like an explosion but it never stops..happens as soon as the game is turned on and then the screen is jumbled as in picture..other times, nothing from the speaker..quiet...but screen jumbled still..

Thank you..

robbie00

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2011, 12:34:00 pm
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 07:47:41 pm »
I also forgot, my SI also did not have either back door....similar to yours...whats up with back door stealin' ?
And the piece of cardboard was there and needs to be swapped...I swear I thought you were working on my cab ;)

Robbie

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 02:57:18 pm »
Okay, it's been a while but...I'm back!

Game is still not working, but let's focus on the outside for now.  Time to tear her down.

Wire harness removed

Moon seems to be in pretty good shape and should clean up nicely

Getting the monitor out took a while.  Bolts were rusted and in a hard to reach place

Anyone know if this monitor is salvageable?  There are no replacement width coils out there for this.

I may have to rig in a new color monitor if this can't be fixed.

Tearing this cab down took much longer than I expected.  Lot's of components to remove.

Look how bad she has yellowed

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2011, 03:04:56 pm »
Now that she is apart and outside in the light, let's take a look and see what we have in store for us:

Hmm...looks like this got too close to something hot.  T-molding has melted and it looks like the wood has been burned

Bottom looks to be in rough shape

Upper back door is missing and lower door is swollen and needs to be replaced

Let's check underneath

Well, the front kick plate needs to go

and the back as well.

Looking closer at the bottom of the cab, that looks like mold

Yep, and pretty nasty stuff underneath

Cab seems pretty solid, with the exception of the front kick plate and the back lower section.  That mold is pretty nasty.  It seems to be just on the surface and I can probably sand it off.  Time to break out the heavy duty respirator!

I'm wondering if I should just use the cab as a template and cut new sides?  Saves having to deal with that nasty stuff.  I may do some work on it and see how bad it is first.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 09:12:47 pm by Spyridon »

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2011, 03:08:51 pm »
Special thanks to RetroACTIVE for providing the dimensions for the back doors

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2011, 03:22:33 pm »
I've noticed quite a few differences between my SI and the one RetroACTIVE restored which is probably an earlier model.  (RetroActive can you let us know the serial number so I can see if you have an earlier model)

Mine has a plexi bezel and RA has a glass one

Biggest difference is the side colors.  Much darker blue on RA's compared to mine

Back door vent openings are different

looks to be more black speckles on RA's

and no white speckles on the interior of RA's

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2011, 02:20:19 pm »
I lightly sanded down part of the back door to remove some of the grime.  I'm hoping I can take this into the paint shop and have them match the paint color.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2011, 03:21:48 pm »
Applied a coat of Citristrip to the side.

Wait a few minutes and the paint scrapes right off

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2011, 08:20:02 pm »
After the Citristrip was scraped off and most of the paint I used the orbital sander to take off what was remaining.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 09:05:02 pm by Spyridon »

jcroach

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2012, 09:36:56 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2011, 01:18:14 pm »
Great work. Looking forward to following your restoration.

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2011, 10:14:41 am »
I'll get that serial number as soon as I can remember ( ;D )  There are some subtle diffs between the machines, like your rear doors look to be particle while mine are ply.

Will this be a keeper for you?

I tell you what, this game ended up being one of the coolest games in my collection.  I just love it.  With the Braze kit installed, its a whole heck of a lot of awesome!

Everyone that sees this thing is like "WOW  :o  I didn't know that's what a Space Invaders was like".  With the cab cleaned, new black light and tuned up monitor the thing just twinkles.  I will never let mine go.

Can't wait to see your blue... mine was considerably darker than most.  At first I was a little upset but when I went back to double check the color against the original it was pretty darn close to spot on so... I've made my peace with it.
Happy Gaming!

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 04:37:09 pm »
With the Braze kit installed, its a whole heck of a lot of awesome!

I've got the Braze kit ready to go.  Need to fix some board issues first.  Also, looks like I may have tracked down a replacement width coil for my monitor.  If that doesn't work, I'll be looking for a 19" TV to swap in this game.  Since this board can output a composite signal, a regular TV will work.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2011, 05:55:39 pm »
The front kick panel pretty much came apart in my hands

Same thing with the back

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2011, 02:29:14 pm »
Look what I got in the mail...

And the best part is that it was sent free (including shipping) to me from a KLOV member that just wanted to see the monitor saved.  :notworthy:

I took in the back door and had the color matched.  It is hard to get an accurate read as the colors are dirty and different shades at different spots on the cab.

Looks like a pretty good match (but maybe a touch dark)

No problems buying oil paints in PA.

Nephasth

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2011, 10:34:30 pm »
The front kick panel pretty much came apart with a crowbar in my hands.

Fixed. :lol

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2011, 08:47:29 am »
The front kick panel pretty much came apart with a crowbar in my hands.

Fixed. :lol

ha, the crowbar was just to hold the pieces of plywood apart for the picture.  I just used my hands to pull it and it crumbled as I did.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2011, 03:25:42 pm »
The monitor was pretty dirty in this cab.  Before I start working on the chassis I need to clean it up

Before:

After a thick coating of Simple Green and then a hosing off you are left with this:

Much nicer to work with!

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2011, 04:30:50 pm »
Got to play with my new toy today  ;D

From a sheet of Birch Ply, I cut out the top back door than used the lower swollen bottom door to trace out the pattern for the vents

I then drilled holes at each end

and used a jigsaw to cut out the sections

Next up was the lock hole.  Thanks to retroACTIVE for the tip on the jig for this (really made it easy to do)

First the outer section

Then the through hole

I did notice that the dimensions retroACTIVE provided don't quite work for this cab.  Mine was just a bit wider.

Panel in place:

The vent holes aren't perfect, but once painted they will blend in fine.  Plus no one will really see them anyway.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2011, 09:31:41 pm »
Spyridon-

I bought that same saw this summer so I could cut control panels do my wood floors. It's a great little saw.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2011, 10:21:09 pm »
It's a great little saw.

Good to hear that you still like it.  I've been wanting to get one for a while and finally picked one up.

dextercf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2022, 05:26:18 pm
  • [thisispersonal]
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2011, 02:45:05 pm »
This is one thread I wanna follow..
Also, i would love a "how to get xxxx THAT clean", the work on that monitor and chassis is way better than I ever got. Wanna share the secret?