Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 1st MAME project (updated: 03 Feb. 2011 - pictures!)  (Read 7200 times)

Panja

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2020, 02:37:51 am
1st MAME project (updated: 03 Feb. 2011 - pictures!)
« on: January 06, 2011, 06:19:34 am »
Hi all,

I'm fairly new here. Did some reading at first but finally, after deciding to build a cabinet, I signed up for the forums as well.

My real name is Marcel and I live in The Netherlands.
Soon I will be starting to build a MAME upright cabinet together with my cousin.

There is so much info here, it's great! I did change a few things after reading.
I wanted to buy a X-Arcade stick but changed my mind. I will go with a custom made CP.
After that I thought I wanted 8 buttons per player (2 player cabinet). But after searching the forums I know now that 6 buttons will do just fine for my needs.

But I do need some additional help from you guys. ;D
I'm going to buy an I-Pacē. But what's the best option: PS2 or USB? And why?
What joysticks and buttons to get? Happ? I would like a steady CP. It must be "kids proof". (I don't have kids myself but after almost 29 years I'm still a child. ;) )
Are there any good Arcade shops in Europe, preferably in The Netherlands or Belgium? I do know the common ones like Ultimarc, Paradise Arcade, Groovy Gamewear (any others?) but they are US based.
So shipping will be a little difficult maybe?

Below I will post some starting pics. Made a drawing/plan of the cabinet to be, and also bought an old CRT TV which will be used in the cabinet.
Any comments on the drawing/plan are more than welcome!

TV specs:
Sony KV-21FT1B
1 Scart, RGB. 50 hertz.
It's around 52cm with a flat screen.

Panasonic
Quintrix TX-25PX10F
2 Scart, 1x RGB. 100 hertz
It's around 59cm with a flat screen.

PC for MAME:
Pentium IV 3,2ghz HT
2GB ram
WD Raptor 150gb 10.000rpm harddisk.

Old TV for my cabinet

New TV for my cabinet:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 03:14:34 am by Panja »

jipp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2016, 07:29:49 pm
Re: 1st MAME project
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 07:19:18 am »
good morning from america :)  well im not in the uk so i can not offer to much help.

However,  i can tell you skip the x-arcade and just wire up your own cp.  it will be about the same price for a two player.. and you get quality parts cause you buy them.. also you can lay the buttons  out how you want.

now for the ipac2 question..  mine only came with a ps2 cable.  and the laptop i was testing it on.  i could not get it to work with the ps2 port.  so i had to buy a ps2 to usb adapter.  in this day and age i think usb is replacing ps2?  but i say USB is what i would get.  now i do not know if  they normally come with both ends or not.. mine only came with a ps2 cable.  i had to buy the adapter.   so my advice from my own experience.  get the usb. 

now i went with happ buttons and im happy with them but my project is still in development.. so i can not comment on if these will be what i stick with or not.. once my cab is up and running ill know.
i also have the happ comp sticks.. they seem decent.  again, wont know till i get my cab 100% and have many hours of play time.

now i did buy a led stick from paradise arcade.  and i personally like how this stick feels over he happs..  i got it originally just to use as a 4 way stick in my control panel.. but i may just replace the happ sticks with two more of the LED jobs down the road.

your drawings look good.  and welcome to the forum.. look forward to following your build.

if i can help in any way with the ipac2 let me know.. i know i could of used a one on one chat when i started. laughs.   

my only advice is for wire i recommend 22 gauge..  i wired mine all up in 18 gauge wire and to be frank.. it was over kill.

my next control panel i will wire the whole think up in 22 gauge.  iv read some people like to use 18 gauge for the ground and then 22 gauge for the positive.. etc.

have a  great day, :)

chris.

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 07:44:07 am »
I'm not sure where you think The Netherlands are but they are definitely not in the UK :)

In regards to wire, you want something that is flexible enough to work with but also thick enough to crimp with.

Since you are in Europe you will probably find metric wire. I personally use 16/0.2 (20AWG) wire.

jipp, there is no need to use larger gauge cable for wiring button grounds. You may be getting confused with Jamma harness power lines/power ground which use a thicker wire. The current passing though the buttons is tiny, you could probably use a single stand of wire and it would work ok.

In regards to other suppliers or arcade bits the others that spring to mind are:

www.arcadeshop.de < Germany
www.arcadegames.se/index_eng.htm < Sweden
www.akihabarashop.jp < Japan.

Akishop are in Japan but they are the best place for Japanese controls etc. They are fairly cheap too. It's cheaper for me to get parts shipped from them to me in the UK rather than buy them locally.

Good luck with your project  :cheers:

Panja

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 08:17:33 am »

Thanks for the welcome guys!
And many thanks for the help already and the offer to help me out with the ipacē, probably gonna need it. :-)
Indeed you are right Franco. :-D
The Netherlands is small, I know. But we're still a country. Haha!

Gonna check the shops out. Cheers!

Panja

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 04:05:47 am »

Just found a 70cm CRT TV...
Will that be to much/big for a cabinet? Or will it be ok?

orchidius

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2013, 12:44:11 pm
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 06:26:14 am »
Welkom op het forum Panja!

I'm from Belgium and I'm just finishing up my own first build I started this summer, so I know exactly what you're going through :). First of all, let me reassure you, you've come to the right place. This community is populated by the best experts around on anything arcade-related. You can not believe with how many big and small problems these guys have helped me (and many others)!

As for the arcade shops, you needn't worry about where they're located. For my first build, I started buying stuff from ebay and arcadeshops around the world. No matter where the seller is located, as long as he's willing to ship to the Netherlands (they most likely will be), you'll get the products. The only thing to consider is shipping cost and deliverytime. Almost all sellers have great customer support, and will gladly resend your package or refund you IF it gets lost in transit (my joysticks got lost in transit and I got new ones right away with some extra balltops for the inconvenience!). So no need to worry there, just look around for what you want and what seller is cheapest. On all matters, the BYOAC wiki is a great source for information. It also has a relatively complete list with arcaderelated vendors with their location and some information. Check it out! http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Vendors

Then, wiring and Ipac. First of all, Andy from Ultimarc notes in the official Ipac "literature" that any gauge wire will suffice as long as it's thick enough to be clamped by the Ipac connector. So go with whatever you have laying around. On a little sidenote, as Jipp said, don't use wire that is too stiff/thick. It's a PITA :P I got my Ipac4 with PS2 cable, and I have no complaints about it whatsoever. It's supersupereasy to setup (even my mother could've got that thing to work...) and I absolutely see no reason whatsoever to pick USB over PS2. Ofc I don't have experience with the USB setup, but I can warmly suggest the PS2 version.

As for the 70cm TV, it's your cab, so you can make it into whatever you want. I do however think 70cm is a bit of overkill for a regular standup cabinet... I used 50cm, and that's just right. Also, a 50cm CRT would allow you to just use it as a whole instead of having to decase it. I decased mine, but if I were to do it over again, I would DEFINITELY leave it cased. But again, it's personal taste...

Best of luck with it, and if you have any more questions, shoot!

Panja

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 08:40:11 am »
Thanks orchidius for the warm welcome! :)
And thanks for the answers as well.
Much appreciated!

I will skip the 70cm CRT. Probably it's to big and I do want to keep the TV cased. So much easier and a lot more handy if it needs to be replaced some day.
Next tuesday I planned a "meeting" with my cousin to discuss the dimensions and the materials we're gonna use (and order).
So it's going to happen soon! Excited!!! :D

jipp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 09:12:07 am »
ooo sorry for thinking you were in the Uk.  i fail..  but hey, it made me look up a world map which i have not done since high school.  so, its all good.  and good luck on your project.

:)

chris.

jipp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 09:18:24 am »
Welkom op het forum Panja!

I'm from Belgium and I'm just finishing up my own first build I started this summer, so I know exactly what you're going through :). First of all, let me reassure you, you've come to the right place. This community is populated by the best experts around on anything arcade-related. You can not believe with how many big and small problems these guys have helped me (and many others)!

As for the arcade shops, you needn't worry about where they're located. For my first build, I started buying stuff from ebay and arcadeshops around the world. No matter where the seller is located, as long as he's willing to ship to the Netherlands (they most likely will be), you'll get the products. The only thing to consider is shipping cost and deliverytime. Almost all sellers have great customer support, and will gladly resend your package or refund you IF it gets lost in transit (my joysticks got lost in transit and I got new ones right away with some extra balltops for the inconvenience!). So no need to worry there, just look around for what you want and what seller is cheapest. On all matters, the BYOAC wiki is a great source for information. It also has a relatively complete list with arcaderelated vendors with their location and some information. Check it out! http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Vendors

Then, wiring and Ipac. First of all, Andy from Ultimarc notes in the official Ipac "literature" that any gauge wire will suffice as long as it's thick enough to be clamped by the Ipac connector. So go with whatever you have laying around. On a little sidenote, as Jipp said, don't use wire that is too stiff/thick. It's a PITA :P I got my Ipac4 with PS2 cable, and I have no complaints about it whatsoever. It's supersupereasy to setup (even my mother could've got that thing to work...) and I absolutely see no reason whatsoever to pick USB over PS2. Ofc I don't have experience with the USB setup, but I can warmly suggest the PS2 version.

As for the 70cm TV, it's your cab, so you can make it into whatever you want. I do however think 70cm is a bit of overkill for a regular standup cabinet... I used 50cm, and that's just right. Also, a 50cm CRT would allow you to just use it as a whole instead of having to decase it. I decased mine, but if I were to do it over again, I would DEFINITELY leave it cased. But again, it's personal taste...

Best of luck with it, and if you have any more questions, shoot!

morning.  my problem was the computer did not recognize the ps2 cable coming from the ipac2 as a keyboard..  only a mouse is all it would recognize the port as.  now, iv no tried this on a modern computer yet.  i was testing the control panel out on a old 500mhz laptop i had in the closet.

so this problem could be unique to laptops?  or just dinosaur laptops that should fo been retired years ago. 

i will test the ps2 on the modern computer see if i can duplicate the problem i had on the laptop.
thats the only reason i mention the usb.  save someone from a head ache.  i was ready to rewire my cab.. laughs when all i needed was the ps2 to usb adapter.

have a great day :)

chris.

Panja

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 10:01:14 am »

LOL @ chris! :D
I know Holland is tiny, but we're def. there! ;-)

If you would give it a try on a modern computer that would be a great help!

Cheers

Panja

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 09:13:43 am »
Did some searching over the weekend and finally made a decision about the artwork.
First I wanted to go with a Mortal Kombat theme but after playing some good old games, I love Street Fighter over Mortal Kombat. Close call though. :D
So it's gonna be a Street Fighter theme. Now it's time to find a good artwork designer...

Gonna order my hardware soon. But I have some questions about it.
What buttons do you recommend? Happ or Sanwa or other?
And about the joystick, it's gonna be an "oval-top" but again which brand do you prefer/recommend?

How many admin buttons will I need?
2x coin up, 2x player start, escape/menu select. Any else?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 09:44:35 am by Panja »

Nephasth

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 03:18:11 pm »
As far as admin buttons, I would just stick with the player start buttons and utilize the shift function for coining up, esc, etc... Keeps a clutter-free CP.

orchidius

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2013, 12:44:11 pm
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 03:36:49 pm »
I second nephast's comment about keeping the CP clutter-free, you don't want 8 buttons scattered on your CP that you won't ever use anyway. I do however suggest putting in a coin/credit button per player aside the start button. Those are the buttons you'll be using most often. You can incorporate any other "admin" functions with the shift function on the Ipac as nephast said (or just use a keyboard on the rare occasion you'll be fiddling with your setup). This is the way I went, but in retrospect, I do wish I added an "exit" button to my CP...

As for buttons and joysticks, all major brands out there are fine. It all comes down to personal taste and budget. Compare it to... say... hammers! There are a ton of different models and sizes out there, but they all do their job more or less equally good. So when buying one all you have to think about is "how much do I want to spend" and "which one looks nicest". Oh, and some people just prefer dome-shaped buttons over the ones with a little bowl in the middle. But again, personal taste. One last tiny detail, you can't fit a button that's 5cm high into a CP-box that's only 3cm high, so you'll need a shorter button for those situations... But then again, that's obvious.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 03:55:15 pm »
Interesting shape design. The marquee area reminds me of an old Xevious cabinet:

Panja

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 05:21:56 pm »
Thanks guys!
All the help is much appreciated!

What do you mean with the "shift function"?

Nephasth

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 10:30:01 pm »
What do you mean with the "shift function"?

It's like holding the 'shift' key on a keyboard to make another key type something it normally doesn't, like CAPS or $ymbols. Example: press and hold player 1 start button and press (for instance) the 'fire' button to coin up. Or instead of coin up it could pause or exit the game. If you have a six button layout for play, you'll have plenty of admin buttons with the shift function. I don't like a coin up button... I hope my kids' friends plop all their quarters into my machine  >:D

Here's a video (not mine) of the "shift function": 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 10:42:25 pm by Nephasth »

Panja

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 03:52:30 am »
I hope my kids' friends plop all their quarters into my machine  >:D

Hahahahaha!! :D

But I get what you mean. That takes away a lot of admin buttons indeed. Thanks!

Found myself a "new" tv. A little bigger, but not to big for the cabinet I think. Just about right. :)

« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 05:57:50 am by Panja »

Panja

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 04:12:58 am »
Hahaha changed my mind again.
Did some more "game testing" and thought about it.
I'm going for a Mortal Kombat theme. :D
Got some nice artwork from a guy I know at Warner Bros (they distribute Mortal Kombat).

So now I need to find an artwork designer who can make it suitable for my cab. :)

« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 05:06:36 am by Panja »

Panja

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 04:04:06 am »
Giving it a first go tonight! :-)
We're going to start the project.

Will post some pictures tomorrow.

Postponed till next week...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 07:58:29 am by Panja »

Panja

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 03:13:14 am »
Finally!!

Yesterday we (cousin and I) gave it a first go on my cabinet!
Happy with the results so far!!  :D

« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 03:20:52 am by Panja »

Nephasth

Re: 1st MAME project (updated: 03 Feb. 2011 - pictures!)
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 10:28:06 am »
Lookin good. Keep it up!

BurgerKingDiamond

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2021, 11:12:14 am
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 10:31:55 am »
You're lucky to have so much room to work! I built mine inside my apartment. Talk about a pain in the ass. Looking really good so far.
-Welcome to the Fantasy Zone.

Panja

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 11:16:25 am »
Thanks for the replies and heads up guys!

My cousin works as some sort of manager at a carpenters company.
So we got some space and tools at his work.  ;D

Can imagine less space could be a pain in the ass!

Firebat138

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2024, 01:20:35 pm
  • Head Brewer and Arcade Enthusiast
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2011, 04:44:43 pm »
Very nice man...  I got the outline drawn up and will be working on a couple of mockups very soon.    It's gonna be sweet... 
Click below to see my Metal Gear/Splinter Cell Machine... http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=108360.0

Click below to see my PinCab - PinWARS
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,164660.0.html

Panja

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2011, 02:52:01 am »
Very nice man...  I got the outline drawn up and will be working on a couple of mockups very soon.    It's gonna be sweet... 

Sounds good to me mate!  :D

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2011, 09:01:58 am »
Looking real good so far.
keep up the good work and good luck

VanillaGorilla

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2019, 10:23:51 pm
  • Coin detected in pocket
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2011, 01:13:17 pm »
That circular saw you're using is one of the coolest tools out there right now. Its german, right? No need for a table saw with one of those bad boys. Looking really tight!

Firebat138

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2024, 01:20:35 pm
  • Head Brewer and Arcade Enthusiast
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2011, 02:37:57 pm »
man I would love to have that saw....  what is the name and brand?
Click below to see my Metal Gear/Splinter Cell Machine... http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=108360.0

Click below to see my PinCab - PinWARS
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,164660.0.html

Panja

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2011, 03:48:09 pm »

Thanks guys! Nice to read such compliments.

The guy on the picture is my cousin.
He is the one with the hands (and tools ;) ). I'm the one with the brains.  ;D

The tool we're using is a Circular saw TS 55 EBQ-Plus-FS.
The brand is Festool: Global Website
And yep it is German indeed.

Panja

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2011, 10:08:35 am »

Made a close up pic of the Festool saw: