Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: To unofficial controls.dat creators...  (Read 11097 times)

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
To unofficial controls.dat creators...
« on: November 01, 2010, 01:48:24 pm »
I would like to look at integrating any work you have done into the official project.

Here's what I need to know.  What additions have you made?  Tags (like color info)? Roms?

If you added roms that aren't in the official is the accuracy verified?  Meaning there is documentation out there like a control panel pic that verifies the info is correct?

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
Re: To unofficial controls.dat creators...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 12:46:22 pm »
Anyone?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 05:46:07 pm »
Unfortunately I don't think anyone is interested in our little pet project anymore.  :( 

It's been months since the site has been put back up and there's been virtually no entries or anything.  This is why I was so adimently opposed to unofficial dats..... once they are out in the wild people don't really care how accurate/verified they are and thus now the official database suffers.  :(

TAG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2014, 05:52:05 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 06:36:55 pm »
I've been working on adding control info for missing entries/new roms as I've been going through the games running on MAME, using control panels pics, instruction manuals, flyers, or on-screen instructions, where available.  So far I only have a few letters of the alphabet done, but I'll try to look through my revised control file when I get a chance.  I didn't, however, keep a record showing from where I got the information I used, so unless I backtrack and look for the materials again, I'm not sure how much use it'd be for the official project.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

-- Dirk Gently

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 06:15:20 pm »
Well it should be realitively easy.  Assuming you've still got the image packs, just look to see if it has a corresponding image and make a note of it. 

In all honesty we are probably going to have to do a manual check of it all anyway.

cdbrown

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2017, 09:52:03 pm
  • Bowowow
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 09:29:06 pm »
I've not done any updates for many many moons, maybe once I get the updated intro vids done I'll have some time to do some more investigations.  I'm guessing that all the controls based off images and user manuals that are found online are already in there?  Are you still requiring some sort of proof such as the manuals in order to accept the controls being submitted?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 10:33:56 pm »
Probably not.  When we quit doing serious submissions (and that was a few YEARS ago) 100% of the games in the image packs weren't in there and at the time finding manuals was really tough.  It's safe to say that MOST of the games in the image packs are included though.

Yeah we are going to need some sort of proof just as usual.  But an image with readable captions will suffice. 

I honestly don't know who's in charge of images anymore.  I know Mr. Do used to do it, but he's almost exclusively in-game artwork at this point.  I know there's an image service now, but I was gone so long that I know nothing about it, much less if they've added new control panel images since we left. 

cdbrown

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2017, 09:52:03 pm
  • Bowowow
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 12:07:32 am »
Might have a look around on my old pc - had some text files for a number of games with the controls based on either in game info, playing the game or an odd panel pic.  Didn't submit them as wasn't the proper proof that we used back then.  A few years ago was when I pretty much stopped.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 11:57:53 am »
Here's a thought, let me know what you think.

There are a couple of ways we can approach this.  First, I would need to look at TAG's work.  Then we can determine the best solutions.  But I see two ideas assuming the dat ais easy to parse. 

First I could make a script that goes through all of the data and add the new games to the "to be reviewed" list.  Then HowardC and I would have to go through and review them.  Generally it isn't difficult, just time consuming.

The other idea is to create a verified flag.  Add TAG's info as unverified but will still show up in the dat.  I know what Howard is going to say, basically what he already said.  It defeats the purpose of project.  Well, the fact is there are unofficial dat files.  What is a person going to use more, the real project's or an unofficial one that has more games in it - even if not 100% accurate?  Either way it is still down to the project admins to review information to verify it.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 10:28:08 am »
It might be worth it to start adding different types of data to the project rather than messing with unverified flags and what-not. 

Right now we essentially have a "caption" for each control.  We really need to go ahead and add "color" anyway so it might be worth it to add "descripton" or "action" flags as well.  Unverified captions could default to a description instead of a caption and viewers could be modified to accept them.

I'm more than willing to manually verify each entry btw.... we used to do it back in the day and when I had my four windows of resources open it actually didn't take that long to verify other than the running the game in mame part.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 12:04:49 pm »
That's not going to happen.  I know what FE devs will say so they wouldn't use it.

Thinking color, I haven't looked at color.ini.  We can start to think about adding that information in.

I think for now it would be better if I take TAG's data and write any new entries into the database as submissions.

TAG

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 07:02:18 pm »
I'll try to remember to pull it off my cab tonight.  What's the most efficient way for me to get it to you?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

-- Dirk Gently

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 09:40:57 pm »
That's not going to happen.  I know what FE devs will say so they wouldn't use it.

Thinking color, I haven't looked at color.ini.  We can start to think about adding that information in.

I think for now it would be better if I take TAG's data and write any new entries into the database as submissions.

Bah!.... mame's changed it's data formats several times over the years..... if you change it they are forced to accept the changes.  We just can't go changing it constantly.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 09:42:33 pm »
I'll try to remember to pull it off my cab tonight.  What's the most efficient way for me to get it to you?

I would like a copy as well... just pm me or whatever.  Sirp needs the file first though so he can run it through the database.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 10:22:12 am »
You can reply here and attach it.  Otherwise email it to sirpoonga@hotmail.com

TAG

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 07:06:49 pm »
Okay, done.  Hope it's of some use.

-- Dirk Gently

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 10:36:13 pm »
I didn't want to leave everyone in the dark. 

We are looking over TAG's file (very helpful thanks!) and Sirp and I have decided we need to alter the controls.dat format a little to implement new features.  We are currently arguing...err I mean discussing the things that probably need moved around.  So everybody sit tight, it should be a major update once sirp gets all the database ducks in a row, we finalize the format and I spend the rest of my natural life going over new submissions. 

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 10:43:03 am »
I am going to integrate TAG's data soon, shouldn't take long, just need to find the time.

We have been discussing what  the next step is.  We will probably dump the ini file and make some format changes to the xml.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 01:06:03 pm »
So, I haven't looked at the database in some time.  Man, I was dumb when I designed it.  It's going to take a bit to get TAG's data in.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 05:57:07 pm »
I might not be able to work on this for a month or two.  I am moving so I will be spending my weekends packing and finding an apartment.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 11:32:35 am »
I got my winter goal for the project done.  It got move to byoac, back to operational status, and latest mame put in.  I will try to get improvements done over the summer BUT as usual what would you rather do:

Spend time coding a website

OR