Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Best method for joining boards edge-to-edge?  (Read 18774 times)

MaximRecoil

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2022, 09:50:44 pm
Best method for joining boards edge-to-edge?
« on: January 02, 2011, 12:38:39 pm »
I want to join eight 2.25" wide by .75" thick by 18" long boards (alternating boards of walnut and maple) to form a single 18" by 18" panel. I'm thinking that wood glue alone would be strong enough for that, because it would all be glued on edge grain.

However, after making the 18" by 18" panel, I need to cut it into 8 boards again (making the cuts perpendicular to the grain) and then join those together to reform the 18" by 18" panel (ending up with a panel that is made from sixty-four 2.25" squares, i.e., a checkerboard). The problem is, I'd be dealing with joining end grain to end grain at that point, and I've heard that glue isn't as effective on end grain as it is on edge grain. Would I need some form of mechanical joints (like biscuit joints maybe?) in addition to wood glue?

Here is a short video that shows what I want to do, in case my description was confusing:

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
Re: Best method for joining boards edge-to-edge?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 04:02:59 pm »
Using a biscuit joiner on something like that would definitely help. I'm no expert on the "end grain vs edge grain" glue issue, but I've used a biscuit joiner to join flat boards for a keyboard tray for my desk, among other things and it's a dirty simple process

Donkbaca

• Our reptillian overlords would be pleased
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2012, 06:28:10 pm
    • Slim built MAME/Xbox cab
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 04:27:28 pm »
Why don't you get a thin piece of mdf and then glue the squares to the bottom board?

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2022, 09:50:44 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 08:02:22 pm »
Why don't you get a thin piece of mdf and then glue the squares to the bottom board?

That's an option, but I like the idea of it just being solid hardwood and nothing else. By gluing it down to a substrate, it would then need some sort of edging/trim/molding to hide the edge of the substrate, which never looks as nice as if the edges were just solid hardwood through-and-through in the first place.

I know that the solid blocks of wood thing can be done effectively, because the Drueke company has made checkerboards like that for ~60 years, and they have always been highly regarded. I've heard that Drueke uses tongue and groove, but I don't know if that is true or not.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 08:04:06 pm by MaximRecoil »

upprc04

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2021, 01:25:59 am
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 12:32:01 am »
I built one of these back in high school.  I used a biscuit joiner for most of the joints.  I then added a edge piece to hide the edges.  It is currently on display at my parents house otherwise I'd take a closer look and a picture because it has been a little while.

Donkbaca

• Our reptillian overlords would be pleased
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2012, 06:28:10 pm
    • Slim built MAME/Xbox cab
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 11:49:11 am »
Tongue and groove was my first thought.  Maybe if you get strips of flooring, they would already be grooved and you would just have to stick them together

laggerific

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2014, 09:40:42 pm
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 02:28:17 am »
Well, I had fun with my joins, but they were for the angled portions of my CP, so not so relevant for this discussion...

gryhnd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2018, 10:48:58 am
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 07:09:26 am »
A friend of mine made a checkerboard the exact same way and AFAIK, has had zero problems with its integrity.

If you are really, really concerned, the easiest way out might be to use tongue and groove. It can even be created on your table saw if you don't have a router.
In progress: Rat Rod Jukebox ** 99% Complete **
Completed: The Island Cocktail, and here
Completed: No Name Upright

scream1973

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2014, 10:28:46 am
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 10:59:34 am »
Bisquit Joiner as already said.
Pocket Screws / Jig
dado T&G  with glue

melvinbates

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2023, 11:39:02 am
  • Another day in paradise
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 02:38:53 pm »
You could also use dowels.  Not as nice as the biscuit joints, but cheaper if you don't have the tools.

EightBySix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2021, 01:50:16 pm
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 12:44:56 pm »
I think you'll be ok with just glue, because of the relatively large surface area, unless you need it to be super strong. biscuits are more for getting the joints lined up rather than adding strength anyway. If you need it to stand up to a beating, I would use Tongue and groove. You could make a slot in each - t moulding style - and then insert a separate piece for the Tongue.

knave

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 04:45:14 pm »
I made a chessboard like this in junior high woodshop. Just used glue, it's still around to this day, in fact my mom uses it as a table/plant stand with a wooden base that she had. It's pretty strong. Held up over 20 years.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:56:07 pm
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 11:17:54 am »
Like many others have said - Biscuit Joiner or Dad Tounge and Groove.  But both of those require special equipment.  (table saw w/ dado blades or biscuit joiner).

If you're on a tight budget, dowl rods, a hand drill and some paitence go a long way.

If you do buy a biscuit joiner - don't go cheap.  The $150 Dewalt (amazon.com) is about as low as I'd go..  anything cheaper usually has a plastic fence and you'll end up redoing things a lot because of drift.

The touge & groove option is very nice, but has a lot of setup time.  I'm actually setting up a second table saw as a dedicate dado table...

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2017, 05:24:57 am
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 10:02:52 pm »
Your right, gluing end grain is going to be weaker, but it is still going to be a really strong joint.  I would likely use dowels, but I have a Dowelmax jig, and I wouldn't trying to align mating dowel joints with a cheap jig.

I might suggest just using a spline if you're really concerned.  If you you have a slot cutter you can do this with a router, and then glue a spline in the grove you cut.  You can stop short of making a full length groove, and you will see no evidence of a spline on any exterior edge.

Again, unless your going to really abuse this, the end to end glue joint is still going to be really strong.

Complete mini arcade cabinet plans available.

web_traveler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2019, 12:37:29 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 05:15:47 am »
method I use for wide panels is to not plane the boards down to finish thickness at first. I then glue up "mini" panels that are not wider than can be handled on the planar I have. I then plane these mini panels down to the final thickness. You then have fewer "boards" to worry about a precise glue-up. You can now glue these mini panels together using whatever method you wish. (dowels, biscuits, splines, cawls, etc.) This cuts down on the final sanding or scraping or whatever method you use before applying finish. This works for me and I have made several tables, or cabinets requiring wider panels.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 01:15:53 am by PL1 »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 06:51:21 am »
Dude. The last post was from 2011.