Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Cutting Acrylic Sheets  (Read 5876 times)

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:54:45 am
  • This plan is foolproof
Cutting Acrylic Sheets
« on: July 28, 2018, 11:06:47 pm »
This is not technically woodworking, but I think this is the place for this post.

I cut down acrylic sheets for a bunch of different projects I do. This is the best way I have found so far.

I use my table saw.
I use a blade with the most teeth I can find and I mount it backwards.
Run the sheet fast enough not to melt the acrylic, but don't force it. You don't want the sheet to ride up the blade.

The best protection I have found is a snowmobile helmet. It protects your hearing, and it provides full face protection. It also keeps all of the plastic junk out of your hair.

Anyone else cut down acrylic sheets? Have a better method? I would like to hear it. I guess they make table saw blades specifically for cutting acrylic. Has anyone used one of those?

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
Re: Cutting Acrylic Sheets
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 11:54:22 pm »
I normally just score and crack/fold it. It can come out clean if you’ve scored it well enough. But sometimes it produces deviations.
Wish I had a table saw, or any woodworking tools for that matter. I sold off all my tools when I moved to the States.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:47:13 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 10:51:42 pm »
I'll just use my regular blade... does have a rather high tooth count because i do maily laminates and whatnot. it does plastic fairly decently

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.12-in-x-80-tooth-ultra-fine-crosscut.1000177974.html

they do make a specific plastic blade...

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.12-in-non-ferrous-plastic-blade---96-teeth.1000179761.html

it's basically ground thinner in the middle after the teeth so you aren't dragging the sides through the material and melting it. it's a PITA to change blades for one thing so unless I have a pile of things i need to cut, i don't even bother.

bdn103

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:29:59 pm
    • Classic Arcade Cabinets - FREE arcade cabinet build plans, printable PDFs and CNC plans
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 11:05:29 pm »
I do the score and crack method at times, but I also regularly use a router to cut.

Brian

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 09:19:08 pm »
Table saw with a regular blade, just take it slow.
I have also clamped it to a straight edged piece of mdf  and used a router trim bit. That works pretty good too.

surtr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2019, 07:52:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 02:42:38 pm »
Late reply, I know but hey, maybe it'll be useful to someone down the line.  I cut 1/8" acrylic with a flush trim bit on a router.  I put it on a low speed, mounted a straight edge on top of where I wanted to cut and let it rip.  Made an epic mess with the shavings as they came off with a static charge and stuck to everything, but the cut was straight and smooth.