Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Where did your alias come from?  (Read 15372 times)

null

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2004, 04:00:53 pm
Re:Where did your alias come from?
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2003, 04:09:14 am »
I couldn't think of anything, hence my alias.

jerryjanis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2023, 01:56:44 am
  • Skate or Die!!!
    • Jake's Joystick
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2003, 08:33:25 am »
My birth-certificate name is Jared Michael Stookey.  My parents and everyone else always called me Jake, from the day I was born.  The result is the occasional complicated situation, and I blame my parents.  Jared is just some legal thing that I sign on official documents, and something that people who don't care enough to actually know me call me.  

One day, someone who knew me well for for 8 years found out that my name wasn't "Jake".

Ben:  "Your name is Jared?  I though it was Jake."
Jake: "Sort of, actually it's officially Jerry." (I made that part up)
Ben:  "Jerry!?!  Well what's your middle name?"

I tried to think of something that sounded really stupid...  Maybe a girl's name that COULD be construed as a boy's name...  Janis!

Jake: "Janis"
Ben:  "Jerry Janis...  Jerry Janis Stookey...  REALLY?"

Wienerdog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 06:28:51 am
  • If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2003, 01:24:32 pm »
I am a dachshund.
This opinion was created from 100% post consumed information.

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2003, 12:05:46 am »
Robin
Knowledge is Power

Sprucemoose

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2009, 03:56:10 pm
  • You Spent How Much?!
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2003, 01:20:09 pm »
Found my alias the same way Frosty did, The Simpsons:

BURNS: Smithers, I've designed a new plane. I call it the Spruce Moose, and itwill carry 200 passengers from New York's Idlewilde Airport to the BelgianCongo in 17 minutes!
SMITHERS: That's quite a nice model, sir.
BURNS: Model?

Bomber

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 20, 2006, 01:48:39 am
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2003, 05:18:28 pm »
My aussie rules (yes - the one where they where stupid looking uniforms and the umpires do funny hand gestures...) team are the Essendon Bombers. Someone called me Bomber in primary school and it stuck.

www.essendonfc.com.au
Never get into fights with ugly people - they have nothing to lose.

grafixmonkey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2010, 08:16:50 pm
  • must... tear self... away from... Tron...
    • My graphics/arcade/circuits site!
« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2003, 09:56:39 pm »
This thread is awesome, what else have I missed not looking at the "everything else" forum?

I took "Greasemonkey" meaning someone who schleps around in engines, and swapped out for Graphics, and with some creative spelling got Grafixmonkey.  Another of those names that came from a need for a screen name right now and I didn't like any of my other ones.

(which included bksmith, my college email, and "nurbsboy2" which is a concoction involving a kind of surface you work with in the higher end 3D packages, nurbs)

I had my MSN name Digital_Creationist, also a spontaneous SN, but thought it was (a) too long,  (b) too religious-sounding,  (c) sounded kind of boisterous.
-----------
-- See my grafix, circuits and cab on my
-- new arcadey page:  http://www.bkgrafix.net

RetroJames

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2021, 05:26:38 pm
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2003, 11:39:08 pm »
When I "found" MAME again a short while ago, I was trying all the games again just basking in light the glowing pixels and familiar sounds.  

At the same time I realized I would never be happy again until I had a cabinet of my own I was playing GORF.  

I jumped onto this board and knew I was,
1hookedspacecadet.

Yea, my avatar's a little off, but if GORF did rip space invaders didn't it?

APFelon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:10:35 pm
« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2003, 12:25:02 am »
I used to travel and play the old PC game Descent competitively. I won tourneys in Chicago and Atlanta under the nick KingNine. I was at a local LAN fest in Hopkins, MN and a guy I knew locked his keys in his car. I was out there with a wire hanger trying to pop the lock when the cops showed up, guns drawn and everything. I was a bit tipsy (the location had a bar) so during interrogation I turned to the guy and said, "DUDE! We're FELONS!"

I went back into the LAN after the brownshirts ripped out my fingernails (okay, not really, but I had to spice up the story a bit) and played under [FELON]KingNine. I started to like FELON better than my original nick, so I played Quake II under just FELON. I got into Unreal Tournament and joined a German clan called Armored Power so I was [AP]Felon. I killed the brackets after I lost interest in UT and now I am APFelon.

Y'know, I used to think that nicks meant something, like a lifelong identifier in cyberland. What a load. Ever since the Apple II BBS days, I have had about a dozen.

Mr. Sharpy (I was 12 and took it from a pencil sharpener)
Ninjasbane (The one I had the longest during my C64 piracy days).
I retired from software piracy and I nym shifted like crazy.
Earthshaker (After a Williams pin)
Justice (because I am lame)
Thought Cop (beause I am REALLY lame)
Agony (Amiga BBS days. I still use AGO when I enter highscore initials. This was because when I worked as an onsite tech at the Minneapolis St. Paul airport, I didn't want my boss to come in and see "JON" (my first name) on all of the machines in the arcade. Haw).
KingNine (Quake/Descent nick)
Felon
APFelon

And I don't even keep the same nick in online games anymore. I just braindrizzle and type something new (Spoogebob Urinepants is a fave, though).

Too much info, I know. But this subject comes up often on other forums, and it's kinda fun to think about it from time to time.

APf

dirt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2023, 11:06:57 pm
« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2003, 12:33:16 am »
well, back in the early 80's i used to call all my friends dirtbags. one thing lead to another and they all turned it around on me and i became dirt. i hated it for the first couple years but then realized that it wasn't going to stop so i embraced the name. i would say half the people i know don't even know my real name!

dirt
WANTED: NINTENDO CABINETS WORKING OR NOT

grafixmonkey

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2003, 01:01:30 am »
When I "found" MAME again a short while ago, I was trying all the games again just basking in light the glowing pixels and familiar sounds.  

At the same time I realized I would never be happy again until I had a cabinet of my own I was playing GORF.  

I jumped onto this board and knew I was,
1hookedspacecadet.

Yea, my avatar's a little off, but if GORF did rip space invaders didn't it?

I think Gorf ripped a lot of games, and turned them all into one cool conglomerate game.  :)
-----------

grafixmonkey

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2003, 01:02:24 am »
well, back in the early 80's i used to call all my friends dirtbags. one thing lead to another and they all turned it around on me and i became dirt. i hated it for the first couple years but then realized that it wasn't going to stop so i embraced the name. i would say half the people i know don't even know my real name!

dirt

I know somebody who everybody used to call Dirt!  You aren't from Illinois, are you?
-----------

Buddabing

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2015, 02:51:45 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2003, 03:04:16 pm »
Anthony Mason shaved "B-D-BING" into his hair during the NBA Finals when the Rockets played the Knicks.

I use "Bada-Bing!" on some boards to match my Sopranos T-shirt, but I don't watch Sopranos, no HBO.

I have changed my nickname to "Cakemeister". Please do not PM the Buddabing account because I do not check it anymore.

Please read the wiki!

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2005, 05:39:21 pm
  • your mom is a llama!
    • PICS OF MY LAME CAB
« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2003, 06:54:46 pm »
When I first got online back in 96 I tried to think of a good online handle.  Well first thing I thought was Flynn.  But of course it had been taken.  So then I picked one of the characters from the Macross books I was reading at the time.

P.S. When I use the term handle do'se it show my age?   :)

Cooper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2005, 05:10:24 pm
  • Are you threatening me?!?!
« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2003, 03:34:12 pm »
Cooper is my last name.......
Alright, go ahead and crown me the king of originality!!  :P

dirt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2023, 11:06:57 pm
« Reply #95 on: November 03, 2003, 05:40:34 pm »

dirt

I know somebody who everybody used to call Dirt!  You aren't from Illinois, are you?

nope, born and raised in socal.

funny side note i am now a heavy equipment operator.So now everyone thinks thats why i have the name.

dirt
WANTED: NINTENDO CABINETS WORKING OR NOT

Kitbasher

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2003, 09:25:43 am
    • Kitbasher's Korner
« Reply #96 on: November 07, 2003, 10:27:26 am »
Here is the reason behind my alias, Kitbasher:

Kitbashing started with model enthusiasts, who were eager to create models of things not already commercially available. So they would take parts of several commercial model kits and "bash" them together to make their dream model. This might be as simple as customizing a staid family car model with parts from a dragster, or as complex as creating something never seen before in any form.
I first applied the term to computers after reading the exploits of the BOFH on The Register. The BOFH routinely refers to computer equipment as kit.