Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: No more CRT Arcade monitors? :(  (Read 13770 times)

Zakk

• Gosh, that's a real nice... ooh look, a penny! -- That Zakk is Just Mean
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:17:58 pm
Re: No more CRT Arcade monitors? :(
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2010, 03:24:30 pm »
Oh, and for the record, I hope 4:3 arcade CRTs are available for a long while.  I agree with Zakk that LCDs are much more convenient on some ways, but nothing beats the glow of an arcade CRT.

For computer usage I'm not a huge fan of widescreen monitors - give me a pair of matched 19-22" 4:3 LCD screens side by side and I'm happy.  I MUCH prefer that to a single wide monitor, or even a pair of wide monitors.

You can just never agree with me can you.  ;)

I think the crt looks more authentic, with more 'haze' around the characters, but I don't think there is any more visible light output.  Is that what you mean by glow?  Like the glow around a vector object in asteroids?

I also wonder if there are different variations of 'widescreen'.  Native on my current monitors is 1680 X1050, not sure if that really qualifies as 'widescreen' or if there is even shorter, wider screens.  2 screens like this are pretty good, although to be honest I'd like to have a third monitor for tv so that I can have 2 dedicated work monitors and still be able to watch glee*   :dunno  Honestly, I just buy whatever they have on sale and have 2 of  ;D

*I do not watch glee.  
Back for nostalgia, based on nostalgia.

Zakk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2010, 03:25:45 pm »
I just opened 5 instances of excel 2010.  Yep, no problem whatsoever.  I thought it might open another window within excel, but nope, whole new instance. 

Huh, working here now, too.  Ah well.  I need a vacation.

So now you won't be bonkers anymore? MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF US!  :woot

Zakk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2010, 03:27:36 pm »
So often I come across someone's office where they have a nice 22" 1680x1050 monitor and they're running it 1024x768  :angry:

To be honest, I think I was guilty of setting screens to 1440X900 not knowing just how much better they look when you go native resolution.  Now I'd never go back, and once you set that up, I couldn't imagine going back to a crt monitor.

Fursphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:25:06 pm
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2010, 04:00:22 pm »
There's Wei-Ya and Bilabs for CRT arcade monitors. Hopefully they still sell them in 5-10 years time. Unfortunately, big CRTs (and 4:3 monitors) are pretty much a relic from a bygone day. I don't know of any real use for them Stateside - for almost every application, an LCD is a far superior option. We're a very tiny market. Apparently they still use them in China if I'm reading the market right, but when that market dries up, 4:3 CRTs will be no more.
People have (IMO) gotten stupid, and now most monitors are 16:9. OK for watching some movies, really crap for business use. But OOOOOOHHH, WIIIDESCREEN! :timebomb:

So you'd rather have the old 4:3 screens and your movies made in 16:9 (the way they have been for decades), then reformatted (or letterboxed) for home use?  Ya..  that makes sense. 

It doesn't take much to figure out that when the home television market turned towards 16:9 for thier television use, that computer based LCD screens would follow suit - why have two product lines when you can use the same line for both markets? 

keefyboy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2011, 03:08:56 pm
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2010, 10:08:05 pm »
I'm glad someone came along and proved me *quite* wrong on CRTs and 1920x1200. In my past experience, CRTs look fuzzy at anywhere near that resolution. And the CRTs ya'll mentioned were QUITE expensive when new. Still, they exist, and I was incorrect.
 :cheers:

edit - Fursphere, you're right - I wouldn't want wide-aspect movies on 4:3. I'm just (uselessly) wishing that large 4:3 LCDs and CRTs were widely available for when I'd like to use them.  :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 10:30:44 pm by keefyboy »

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2010, 04:05:39 am »
My 19" Viewsonic p90f that I picked up for $12 at the thrift shop, does 1920 x 1440 @ 85hz.   Text is actually legible... tho, Id never use that for windows. For games however, it very well could be used for that.

The accurate colors and depth of contrast is unmatched to the LCD I had , and have seen.  Which is extremely important when you are doing artwork which requires accurate shading. Which is quite sad.. because I specifically bought the Monster LCD for use w/ photoshop & other art programs.  When I saw how lacking the display was in terms of ranges... I had no choice but to use the CRT for art, and the LCD as a mere toolbar holder instead.

LCD:

You simply move your head & on some LCDs, and the colors will change due to the way viewing angles effect things. Visibility and Unchanged content are two very different things.

Ive seen LCDs which are so artificial looking that its not real (colors are all wrong).  They also tend to blind you with the brightness, and if you turn it down, it looks too dim and flat. (too much contrast from backlight, without the LCD spectral range to support it correctly)

As the LCD backlight ages, the color of the light changes... and so the picture is not longer color accurate.  Not sure if LEDs solve this completely or not..

LCDs often have black issues.. where the blacks are more of a gray.. due to backlight leakage.

And While LCD tech is getting better... Ive yet to see any LCD that does not suffer from motion blurring when objects are moving fast.  This drives me Nuts, especially in the Movie Theaters, where their projectors are LCD based.

Edit:

Wow... I just fired up the 21" Pixiltouch Kiosk monitor (CRT) I scored for $150..
I cant find the specs for it... but windows is allowing me to crank it to 2048 x 1536 !!!  And its Razor sharp!  ;D with everything perfectly legible, no blurring at all.  WOW.  :o   ;D

New technology does not always equate to better.
There are Pluses and Minuses to each of the display methods available.

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2010, 06:21:01 am »
My 19" Viewsonic p90f that I picked up for $12 at the thrift shop, does 1920 x 1440 @ 85hz.   

Wow... I just fired up the 21" Pixiltouch Kiosk monitor (CRT) I scored for $150..
I cant find the specs for it... but windows is allowing me to crank it to 2048 x 1536 !!!  And its Razor sharp!  ;D with everything perfectly legible, no blurring at all.  WOW.  :o   ;D

All my old 21 inch CRTs did 2048x1536, quite clearly.

Good convergence can make original arcade monitors look relatively sharp. The phosphor elements then soften the objects. Perfect.
-Banned-

Blanka

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2018, 03:19:28 pm
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2010, 07:20:56 am »
And While LCD tech is getting better... Ive yet to see any LCD that does not suffer from motion blurring when objects are moving fast.  This drives me Nuts, especially in the Movie Theaters, where their projectors are LCD based.
The biggest problem for movies is the fixed frame rate, not pixel response. We need multisync LCD's as fast as possible. Eizo has a few in the upper segment. Those do 23.96p, 24p, 25p, 48p, 50p, 57.92p and 60p fluently. I hope lower end screens are going to support this too (instead of the upscaling to 100/200hz thing TV's do).
LCD based projectors sound really weird to me. I may hope they use DLP. And I hope they run on 23.96fps too.

And always remember: MOVIES have much more motion blur than video, as 24fps is not very high!. It is part of the experience. Old slide projectors had lots of motion artifacts too.

Zakk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2010, 11:14:18 am »
On the plus side, our garbage isn't going to waste. 

MonMotha

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2018, 05:45:54 pm
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2010, 05:24:59 pm »
Intriguing.... without doing further research (yet) on the topic you presented, I do have this immediate question:
Thick film resistors will often pop open, while film resistors usually survive.

How does that work? What part of the manufacturing process causes that to occur?

The gist of it is that thick film chip resistors (the normal, garden-variety, low-cost SMT resistor type) are built with a zig-zag pattern.  This creates a long, narrow path for the current that is subject to localized heating due to subtle process variation, and it's not particularly well heatsinked.  Metal and carbon film type resistors are built as a uniform structure and are not subject to much process variation.  This structure creates fewer spots subject to localized heating, and it provides for better thermal transfer to the substrate.  Basically, tiny spots in the resistor heat up less and are able to dissipate their energy to the substrate/body faster.  This means that you can surge them more since they won't "pop" the internal structure, even if the steady-state power handling (determined by case size, mostly) is the same.

Note that thick film chip resistors don't really exist in leaded form; they're almost exclusively SMT.  Precision SMT resistors are thin film chip and have good temperature stability and resistance tolerance but still don't handle surges well.  Metal and carbon film resistors are available in SMT as well as leaded.

There are also some esoteric plastic film resistors.  They tend to be limited to niche applications as they are expensive but offer an array of extremely stable characteristics.  They're usually specifically called out in a BOM.

As to replacing with the wrong type, it can be a problem.  The bill of materials will usually call out what kind of resistor is specified.  For through-hole types, there is a color code.  Dark brown is carbon composition (carbon dust, essentially), light brown is carbon film (these are the most common, these days), light blue is metal film, white ceramic bodies are usually wirewound, light gray bodies are I think either a metal film or metal oxide type and tend to be high power and a reasonably non-inductive alternative to wirewound.  The differences between the two are subtle.  The biggest differences lie in failure mode and self inductance.

DJ_Izumi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 04:19:22 pm
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2010, 07:08:51 pm »
All my old 21 inch CRTs did 2048x1536, quite clearly.

My P1110's can do that resolution but there's a catch.  They can only do it at 60hz.  I need 85hz or I go bliiiiind.

That and I actually run at 1600x1200 cause I just find that everything gets to terribly small on a 21" screen at anything higher.

DJ_Izumi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 04:19:22 pm
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2010, 12:44:43 pm »
Speaking of which, I just located myself a Hewlett Packard A7217A.  It's the HP badged version of the Sony GDM-FW900.  All for $50. :)

Should be good for college. :D