Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Vewlix Stand Up Modification - time to build  (Read 48141 times)

stevenpbhs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 27, 2022, 09:55:28 am
Vewlix Stand Up Modification - time to build
« on: December 19, 2010, 12:02:34 pm »
Started this weekend on my first build, a vewlix stand up modification to fit 24inch lcd.
Minimal previous woodwork experience, built a poker table and a bar before, so now for something a bit more challenging.
Been planning for the last 4 months, got the electronics and software all sorted but didn't really have anywhere to build. Moved into a new house with a double garage so the building can now begin.
Took inspiration from the vewlix on donavan myers page with a bit of a dimension tweak to make it standup. Will post the plans at some stage
Favorite games growing up were street fighter and golden tee so decided to do a street fighter themed control panel with a golden tee marquee, strange but true.

So started off with my first side panel cut with a jigsaw, then followed with a trim bit on the router to cut the others to the same size.

Erik

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2013, 09:04:35 pm
Re: Vewlix Stand Up Modification - time to build
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 01:05:43 pm »
Very interested to see how this goes!   Always liked the vewlix cabs but I'm not a fan of sitting at arcade games

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 01:17:25 pm »
this is how I build mine lol. instead of the "round curved" marquee I just made squire box on top thats it. looks fine..not like vewlix cabinet but works for me.

good luck with your projects. looking forward to seeing more pix :cheers:

stevenpbhs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 02:44:15 pm »
so here's the control panel overlay i've designed, street fighter with the golden tee trackball, let me know what you think

ChurchOfSolipsism

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:43:39 pm
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 05:21:29 pm »
Usually, I'm not much of a purist, but when it comes to Japanese (candy cab) designs I am, so you might not agree with me. I think a trackball should be used in old school Mame cabs, not in Candy or Vewlix cabs. It looks absolutely horrible to me. Then again, it's your cab, so if it fits your taste, go for it.

Regardingthe CP design, I'm not really sure if mixing the old school Champion edition style and the newer, more modern SF4 style works... somehow, they clash too much for me. Sorry for being so negative, but like I said it's your machine, so in the end, you should it exactly the way you like it.

muell67

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2021, 02:12:01 pm
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 03:15:29 pm »
Im trying to do something similar although I havent actually cut anything yet. Im still working on the design.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=106616.0
I don't know if you know this but I'm sort of a big deal. I own many leather bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

stevenpbhs

• Offline Offline
box almost completed
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 02:26:35 am »

Just finishing off the box base, need to install the drawer and hinged back then it'll be done, will most likely post pics tonight or tomorrow.

stevenpbhs

• Offline Offline
Base Box finished
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 01:27:59 pm »
so heres the base box finished, space at the top on front of the box left for installation of drawer for keyboard etc
hinged the back of the box to give easy access to pc etc once installed

also finished the bezel artwork with the golden tee control instructions

any and all criticism welcome

stevenpbhs

• Offline Offline
Drawer Installation
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 11:27:09 am »
Finished off the drawer for keyboard, mouse etc. Installed it on 2, 30cm runners with 2 double roller clasps to hold it when closed, works like a charm

stevenpbhs

• Offline Offline
Right side body installed
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 11:33:25 am »
Attached the right side of body to base, just screwed, will glue after i've taken it apart for painting.
Control panel side also installed to help in measurement and placement, easily removed for control panel construction

stevenpbhs

• Offline Offline
Sides and Marquee space finished
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 12:26:16 pm »
So finished off the attachment of the sides to the base box today as well as the Marquee space at the top

jipp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2016, 07:29:49 pm
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 12:44:41 pm »
looking good.  i have no problem with a trackball in this style of cab.  personally why limit one self to what games you can play. seems silly especially with the room these can take up..   now, why are they called candy cabs? 

chris.

stevenpbhs

• Offline Offline
marquee light
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 04:24:31 am »
installed the marquee light, single 18 w white flourescent. hinged the back of the top to allow easy access to the light when the marquee is in place at the front. installed double roller clips to keep the hinged back closed.
also notice i changed the pine bracing in the marquee box to smaller metal ones, to avoid a shadow on the marquee when the light is on.

Also measured up for the screen installation but cant go any further until i can get hold of some plexiglass. Supplier only opens again on 5/1/2011.

Next up: control Panel

pubert

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 05, 2011, 10:51:14 pm
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 10:51:02 pm »
Think your dimensions are great and the trackball theme is awsome!!!! :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

can you say high score!!!

amendonz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2017, 04:33:57 pm
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 11:16:56 pm »
looking good.  i have no problem with a trackball in this style of cab.  personally why limit one self to what games you can play. seems silly especially with the room these can take up..   now, why are they called candy cabs?  

chris.

they're called candy cabs because of their plastic somewhat resembling hard candy, well the old one do anyway, vewlix's (or is it vewli for plural? lol) don't but they kinda get grouped in there since they're japanese.

on topic: great stuff! i'm actually selling my big 50 inch sitdown beast to finance a build for one of these, love seeing as many different takes on it as possible.

stevenpbhs

• Offline Offline
Got my artwork printed
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 02:01:48 pm »
got my artwork printed, came out really nicely.
printed the control panel overlay on poster paper, it'll be below the plexiglass so its protected, also easy to change if i get bored with it.
the marquee is printed on vinyl, will be stuck to clear plexi with a second clear plexi overlay. also easy to change if i get bored.

stevenpbhs

• Offline Offline
control panel build
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 02:11:50 pm »
Build the control panel box, intricate work took a while but once done it slotted into the cab quite nicely.
recessed the top by 3mm to make the plexiglass flush with the sides and front.

Next used the control panel artwork to mark out the holes for cutting, with the plexiglass on top of the control panel.
plexiglass cutting went really well, thanks to all the advice if got from this site cut everything first time without any cracking.

Next test fitted two of the buttons and the bezel for the trackball, fitted perfectly.

Cut the control panel top and recessed the trackball underneath to make sure that the ball and bezel were flush with the plexiglass, perfect again.

stevenpbhs

• Offline Offline
fitted screen panel
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 02:17:02 pm »
fitted the screen panel to the cabinet, couldn't fit the screen yet, need a hand, hopefully will get it done tomorrow.
bit of a hassle working out the fittings to get the screen at the correct height to make the bezel borders the same, more maths than i've done in years.

stevenpbhs

• Offline Offline
test fitted marquee
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 02:21:34 pm »
test fitted the marquee, using aluminium framing to hold the plex in place. its slotted in with the top off and held in place when the top is fitted. works like a charm. Think i'll use the same idea for the bezel, just need to by more framing. The flourescent light shines through quite nicely.
almost done with the build, only a couple of odds and ends left then to start painting (job in itself)

jipp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2016, 07:29:49 pm
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 03:01:03 pm »
looks great.  i see you have holes drilled for the flat screen vesa mounts.  i so wish i would of planed from the start on my cab to use a flat screen but i built to use a crt..  but its dang hard to find a crt around these parts. 

thanks for the info on why these are called candy cabs.

keep up the great work.. :)

chris.

stevenpbhs

• Offline Offline
Plans
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 12:24:12 pm »
As requested, here are my plans. Dimensions are hand written, i just scanned the ones i'd made for myself.
All measurements are in mm (metric here in South Africa)
Only included the sides and front view, and the plans don't show the drawer (late decision in planning). The front of the drawer corresponds to the top 100mm of the base box. The drawer depth is also limited by the angled box so it means with the control panel fitted the drawer can only be accessed from the sides when open, not a problem if all you're storing is a keyboard and mouse etc.
Work has been hectic so haven't progressed in the build, did manage to get a few more parts including the coin comparator and door / lock.
Got all day tomorrow to work though. hope to finish the build tomorrow.

stevenpbhs

• Offline Offline
Mounted LCD
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2011, 10:29:02 am »
so mounted the LCD and test fitted the bezel, its just a 3mm plexiglass that i'm going to black out around the edges to frame the LCD. Bezel doesn't fit precisely but not a problem, going to frame it in aluminum edging anyway.
Used gloss black spray paint and sprayed the back of the plexi bezel, plenty of thin layers results in a perfect finish.
Drilled hole pattern at the top for both of the speakers, used an old air plastic air vent as a template, worked pretty well.

stevenpbhs

• Offline Offline
Broke the bezel
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2011, 10:31:51 am »
Was busy installing the aluminum framing this afternoon and dropped the bezel, cracked one of the corners off.
Maizeys is closed on a saturday so will have to get a new one on monday, redrill and respray. Damn!

stevenpbhs

• Offline Offline
Installed Coin Door and Deconstruction
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2011, 10:35:47 am »
Installed the coin door after cutting with a jigsaw.
Deconstructed the whole cabinet in preparation for painting, finished off a few niggling edges, but otherwise should start the paint process tomorrow.

(Got work to do though - anybody want to help with a presentation on Paediatric Kidney Trauma?)

Erik

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2013, 09:04:35 pm
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2011, 11:16:33 am »
Looking very nice!

stevenpbhs

• Offline Offline
Painting process started
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2011, 02:49:13 pm »
So finally got a bit of time form work to start the painting process.
did quite a bit of reading up before i started, want a really neat finish.
The links below were really useful

http://bellasarcade.blogspot.com/2007_04_01_archive.html
http://bellasarcade.blogspot.com/2007_05_01_archive.html
http://bellasarcade.blogspot.com/2007_06_01_archive.html

Started with 250 dry sand followed by wood filler to seal the edges. (Tip: best way to apply filler to edges - use your finger, works better than any putty knife etc) - worklog 34
Sanded again with 400 grit dry - worklog 35
Standard wood primer applied with bosch electric spray gun - worklog 36

Now to wait for primer to dry before continuing.

Planned: Sand Primer again P400
             Apply second coat primer
             Sand P400
             Apply first coat colour
             Sand P600
             Apply second coat colour
             Sand P 800 to P1200
             Coat of Lacquer

stevenpbhs

• Offline Offline
Completed Control Panel
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 02:30:05 pm »
So been a while since my last post. Painting taking a lot longer than i thought, all the rain we've had hasn't helped the drying time either between coats.
I've completed the base box, control panel and only have the side panels left to do (gonna get started on them this weekend.)

Especially happy with the control panel, really came out well.
Take a look and let me know what you think

stevenpbhs

• Offline Offline
Most of the painting done
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2011, 11:34:13 am »
So finished off most of the painting now and started to put it back together.
Also installed the wheels on the base.

While i've been waiting for paint to dry in the last while been sorting out all the issues for mame, maximus etc. Got the computer running awesomely, running instantsheller to hide xp with the old favourite, 'Winners dont use drugs' as a boot screen.

Also ordered 2 aimtrak kits and guns, so have to wait for those before i can finally install the lcd.

Had some issues with the Ultrasticks not being recognized everytime by xp, read it may be a power supply issue via the usb ports and that the only 2 solutions were a powered usb hub or possibly switching the usb bridges on the motherboard from 5v to 5vSB. Switched the usb bridges and all seems to be working. Once i install the aimtraks might still have a power issue in which case i guess a powered hub would be the only way to go.

Below are some pics of the reconstruction of the painted arcade

stevenpbhs

• Offline Offline
Paint stripes or not
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2011, 11:56:24 am »
Been thinking that stripes might look good on the sides, in the blue and red of the control panel and marquee
below are some drafts, let me know what you think, appreciate any opinion.

Also decided to change the idea of the golden tee marquee, the colours just dont work with the cabinet, so made up a street fighter marquee to go with the control panel theme, let me know what u think

stevenpbhs

• Offline Offline
Decided to paint stripes
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2011, 12:21:50 pm »
So decided to paint the stripes as in the previous post.
Finished off the thicker red stripe today, will do the blue tomorrow
Also printed and installed the street fighter marquee, looks great, glad i decided to keep the street fighter theme

TheChairmanH2K

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 08, 2013, 12:53:17 pm
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2011, 02:27:38 pm »
i dig it.

stevenpbhs

• Offline Offline
Blue stripe
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2011, 12:42:21 pm »
So been busy lately but finishing everything off nicely

Painted the blue stripe on the sides to go with the red, glad i did, looks awesome! (pic-worklog54)

stevenpbhs

• Offline Offline
Aimtrak guns
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2011, 12:52:31 pm »
Got 2 aimtrak gun kits from ultimarc, sprayed player 1 blue and player 2 red to go with the color theme of the cabs, also added some lead tape to the inside of the grips and body to add some weight for a more authentic feel, worked really nicely. (pics- worklog56, worklog58, worklog50)

stevenpbhs

• Offline Offline
Gun mounting
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2011, 12:53:14 pm »
Mounting the guns was another question, see there aren't many ideas on the forum that i really liked, so went off to builders warehouse with the gun in tow to walk around for a bit of inspiration.
Found some great brackets used to hang a bicylce on, fitted the guns perfectly, sprayed them black and mounted them on the base box of the cab, perfect!
(pics worklog49, worklog55, worklog51)

Mounted the speakers and the sensor pcb on the top of the lcd mounted in the arcade. (worklog52)

stevenpbhs

• Offline Offline
Pics of gun mounting
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2011, 12:57:15 pm »
So here the pics of the gun mounts and the speaker mounts

WaRpEd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2022, 12:00:41 pm
  • The older I get the better it was!!
    • Warped products
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2011, 09:41:37 pm »
Two questions Have you used the aimguns yet and do you like them? And are they wired our wireless I am think about guns for cab as well.
Your cab looks really good so far.
There are three kinds of people in the world those that can count and those that can't.

stevenpbhs

• Offline Offline
Aimtrak guns
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2011, 01:57:54 pm »
Have tried the guns, and they work perfectly. Little calibration needed and some tweaking in some of the games (all in the documentation supplied on ultimarc's website) but the work really well.
The guns are wired, if your planning on mounting the LED PCB on the outside of the cab, then invest in the LED PCB cover to make the whole thing look a bit prettier, rather than having an exposed pcb somewhere on the front of your cab. Not much extra cost

DoudiePie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 27, 2015, 04:23:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2014, 06:10:40 pm »
Hello,

I know this thread is 3 years old but I wanted to know what is the thickness of the wood you used?
Thanks

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2014, 09:12:51 pm »
Hello,

I know this thread is 3 years old but I wanted to know what is the thickness of the wood you used?
Thanks

Considering he hasn't logged in in over 3 years, I doubt you get an answer, but I would guess by looking it's a standard 3/4 inch build.  :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

stevenpbhs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2014, 10:34:20 pm »
16mm mdf