Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Tron Pinball ' The game has changed'  (Read 18649 times)

macattack

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 03, 2018, 05:35:16 pm
  • Cabinet builder to the stars!
Tron Pinball ' The game has changed'
« on: December 10, 2010, 04:19:13 pm »
Well its time for build number 2 and I decided I wanted to do a P2K style cabinet. This is the first of 2 P2K cabinet I am building at present. The 2nd is a full 100% replica of a RFM machine.

With Tron just around the corner and how great it looks I decided it would be a pretty cool theme to do. At some point I want to learn to program the VP software and will probably have a crack at building a table to go with the theme.

I'll update this thread with the build details and items used as I go like I did with Dr Who, but just wanted to put the start of this out there for everyone to see.

One twist on this design is that it will still be a 3 monitor cabinet. a) Playfield screen, b) Backglass screen and c) a screen inside the head of the machine like the original P2K design that will reflect the DMD screen down onto the playfield glass.

Artwork will be like a P2K machine and will centre on the cabinet with a border around it. The design for the head artwork will be cut from the fullsize sheet once in place to do this.

Here are some dimensions to work from. The head is a real pain, but as long as both sides match, however you shape it really does not matter that much.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 06:05:35 pm by macattack »
Pm me for custom cnc needs...

Rick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
Re: Tron Pinball ' The game has changed'
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 04:20:26 pm »
This will be epic, and I am watching intently!

Rando

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2016, 07:49:31 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 06:14:40 pm »
Awesome.
It was a week ago that I learned virtual pinball even existed.  Today I was wondering if the setup could have a playfield screen and a separate backglass/scoring screen.  And this evening you post this.

Looks sweet, also watching intently!! :D
Rando - My build thread: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=107741.msg1142843#msg1142843 (work slowed but still progressing!

jipp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2016, 07:29:49 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 07:30:47 pm »
dang it..  you are going to make me watch tron again. laughs.. that artwork looks great.  cant wait to follow the build.. i too would like to build a pin box down the road..  good luck.

chris.

macattack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 07:58:08 pm »
small update today (its cold up here!!). have completed the mounting of the head sides (sunk the nuts/washers into the side of the cabinet), will cover with adhesive black disks when finished like williams did on other machines. have fitted head top, and 3rd monitor panel. currently working on the former shape to form the speaker grill area below the backglass display.

jipp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2016, 07:29:49 pm
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 08:06:33 pm »
looking good.  wow, that is a lot bigger than i originally thought with your other pictures.. guess its a full size pin.

keep up the good work.

chris.

macattack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 08:13:36 pm »
todays update, brrr still cold.

Test legs are in place.

hole cut for DMD CRT, test fitted CRT. need to make some spaces to raise it about 3/8" to get the face of the monitor more flush.

AOC 24" monitor for backglass mounted.

next up, mounting playfield monitor and speaker panel.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 12:54:07 am »

Little curious, the DMD monitor [a crt], was this by choice or design?

macattack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 07:10:49 am »

Little curious, the DMD monitor [a crt], was this by choice or design?

It's by design, the original pinball 2000 machines ran CRT monitors to display the floating image on the glass. I have used it as I needed to reverse the image as they did to display it correctly and I am not aware that you can do it with an LCD. A CRT is simply cheaper and easier to do so (swap 2 wires on the tube)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 07:12:33 am by macattack »

Rick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 08:43:44 am »
Interesting!  I had no idea that these machines ever existed!  I've never seen one, and since I had to do a bit of looking, I found this nifty little link.  Pinball 2000.

macattack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 08:47:45 am »
Interesting!  I had no idea that these machines ever existed!  I've never seen one, and since I had to do a bit of looking, I found this nifty little link.  Pinball 2000.

this is a good link also, has the concept artwork etc. neat.
http://www.pinball2000.de/

macattack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 07:06:36 pm »
construction has pretty much to come the end now, today's tasks completed.
back door cut, and lock fitted.
speaker grill formed and mounted
playfield screen support rails installed.

tomorrow, time for filler and sanding, then finally it can come into the warm for the next bits :)

macattack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 10:55:13 pm »
here's a video of the initial test of the DMD reflecting on a piece of glass over the playfield. currently the glass as no reflective coating added to it. Its not too bad. even in normal light.
I think if I was to reposition it so it was fully over the playfield it will need a reflective element on the glass to make it stand out against the playfield screen.

I'm actually pretty happy given the screen limitations due to cabinet width to have it display above and beyond the screen.

currently running the DMD with the double size option to make it stand out more.

I'm thinking about trying a light mist coat of krylon mirror paint or spray window tint on that portion of the glass to make it more reflective.

It's pretty neat effect that it hovers over the glass and due to the nature of the DMD dot display actually has a 3d look to it.

some pics

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 09:22:13 am
  • Your arcade games will be assimilated!
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 03:57:48 am »
That's very impressive.  :applaud:

mattmayhem

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2011, 10:13:41 pm
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 05:43:35 am »
Looks good so far. Makes me want to build one some day soon. 
If you're into Psychobilly, check out my band

www.therecentlydeceased.com

Pinball Wizard

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2021, 03:47:13 pm
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 12:05:52 pm »
How exactly does Revenge From Mars work on Visual Pinball? I mean what does it do with all the video effects?
Where's my gold star :P

macattack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 03:39:51 pm »
How exactly does Revenge From Mars work on Visual Pinball? I mean what does it do with all the video effects?

it doesn't its simply a slightly different setup from attack from mars. we have not yet bridged that gap with the effects the P2K pins had. Although the more I look into it, I think we could.

macattack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 03:41:07 pm »
ok bit of a delay in getting a few more pictures uploaded. went into the basement yesterday to find a outside tap feed had broken from I guess the frost and left me with about 150 gallons of water in the basement. partly covered the P2K pin, missed the Dr Who machine but the screen was out and was sitting in an inch of water (still drying before testing) and drowned my vinyl cutter. Maybe after  couple weeks of drying it will be fine.

Anyway,  back to the machine...
whats left to do...
a.playfield glass and tinting.
b.artwork
c.t-moulding for 1 side
d.backglass (glass)
e.bezel for playfield monitor
f. back apron for cabinet (behind playfield monitor)
g.speakers
h.gpwiz for led's and button inputs
j. solenoids etc for feedback
k. A pc so Dr Who can have his back :)
l.under cabinet lighting for that sorta Tron glow.

I am just about happy with the reflection of the DMD now. The slight tinting of the glass has done what I needed. reduced the reflection back from the glass that was giving it an offset reflection and making it a little tougher to read, plus gives it some additional darkness to reflect against.

Added bonus is it's a lot easier to play with the DMD more in view that it is in a normal DMD setup. certainly getting started on my 2nd P2K cabinet now :)

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 07:02:15 pm »

Im no fan of Pinball2, due to it taking away from better layouts.  However, its
interesting to see what you might come up with anyways.

Anyways, the display is supposed to hover mid playfield.. and it does not look like that is happening with yours.  I believe you have some angles and or depths incorrect, and so the image is being displayed in the wrong area.

Try sinking the main playfield LCD down further into the game.  And make sure the display monitor is at the correct angle.

It does not help that the playfield is so bright... because the effect is best against a dimly lit machine.  Lowering the field might help a little.. but you may have to crank the brightness / contrast / saturation  levels on the main display to overcome the losses.  You might also try a small patch of window tint above the area where the display is cast - which might help dim the background light. Not sure if half-silvered is necessary, or if regular dark tint would be ok. (only problem being that any other pin style would have that patch.. unless you make it flip-up or easily removable.

macattack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 07:19:27 pm »

Anyways, the display is supposed to hover mid playfield.. and it does not look like that is happening with yours.  I believe you have some angles and or depths incorrect, and so the image is being displayed in the wrong area.

[/quote]

thanks, well aware of how the original was. As per the thread this how I am running this one, currently 21.5" is as wide as you can go with the std 22" width of a P2K cabinet
so that limits you to the 37" screen hence it does not fill the cabinet (P2K's have a 43" playfield). If i had made the cabinet wider to accommodate say a 42" screen then yes given all things being equal then as per a real P2K it would hover over upper/mid playfield. Currently to accommodate the flipper buttons the screen is moved about 3" back and i really don't want to move it anymore than that.
I can adjust the DMD placement on the 3rd monitor to move it more over the playfield, but after playing with it I kinda actually prefer it where it is. Again given the depth and screen limitation of the 37" screen it allows me to use what would normally be a dead area due to the size and would look like someone put a monitor that was too small in the cab. I like.

Yes the test piece of glass is tinted with spray window tint, the final glass will most likely have some sheet tint applied to it as its a bit more durable.

Learnt a few things on this one, that i have already made changes to for the next one in the pipeline. If i can get the artwork for a EP1, I will likely make 2 more (RFM,EP1).

Pinball Wizard

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2021, 03:47:13 pm
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011, 08:06:33 pm »

it doesn't its simply a slightly different setup from attack from mars. we have not yet bridged that gap with the effects the P2K pins had. Although the more I look into it, I think we could.

That's what I thought but I wanted to make sure.

I've always thought that if Visual Pinball really wanted to do P2K effects it wouldn't be hard. Nothing else you can do layers and run it off of one screen instead of 2.
Where's my gold star :P

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 12:03:35 am »
Ok, I understand now.

At first, it confused me... cause P2k on certain games has to display in specific spots.  However, I realize now you are using it for Tron instead, and the display still hovers in mid-air... but does not obscure the field... which is better anyways.

You might however consider painting the back-panel Tron-Esc blue (or decal city-scape?).  That would help make the floating text/effects more dynamic and pronounced.

You might also consider some hidden colored Leds and Strobe/Flashers back there
for added special effects.

Because you are not limited to Displaying on the Top lcd, you might also consider making mini-games on the top lcd, rather than the effect/score Crt.

macattack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 11:57:41 am »
nice idea with the backdrop, will draw something up to go on the card background beyond the screen.

The plan already calls for some cree led's back there to emulate all the various led flasher colors based on the new code for the ledwiz/pinmame.

macattack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 07:03:53 pm »
tiny update for this week. glass is ordered, will be here next week. T moulding installed to other side of the head. standard buttons wired up.

currently sourcing shaker and solenoids this week.

Spent the day getting a ledwiz+gp working perfectly in both Hyperpin and VP. bit of a nightmare to start with but with some different key assignments its all working.

trick was as follows:
in hyperpins settings.ini I removed all the entries for the pinball wizard device, also removed the line in the keyboard settings for Genre (don't use it and was giving issue with the enter key). then mapped in the settings.ini file the UP and Down keys (left and right scroll in Hyperpin) to the left and right arrow keys (37,39).

the in Xpadder (free version), I mapped the left flipper button to both left shift and left arrow, and the right flipper to button to right shift and right arrow.

save all your settings and ini files, and working perfectly.

macattack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 06:06:00 pm »
first post updated with cabinet dimensions

macattack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2011, 10:19:08 pm »
homemade shaker motor done. total cost $25.
will heat form a small piece of lexan/PETG to form a cover over the device once installed to protect the underside of the screen etc from getting a weight slung into it :)
will test this weekend and see if I need to spend an additional $10 for a motor speed controller (these motors are low rpm to start)

macattack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 07:42:36 pm »
well after fitting the blue t molding and now the ice blue led flipper buttons and completing the feedback with 8 soleniods and shaker motor i think i am going to call it quits with the Tron cab and call it done :) any new features to come will have to appear on another cab.

really like the way it turned out, the Tron theme seems to suite the P2K style cab.

enjoy

somunny

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2018, 02:22:25 pm
  • Is it hot in here?
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 12:29:29 pm »
Yeah, that's pretty damn awesome.   :applaud:

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2024, 06:43:53 pm
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2011, 01:57:17 pm »
Tron's already emulated????

:o

No, it's not.  He just used pics from the real table.  There is no actual emulated table.

macattack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2011, 02:01:08 pm »
yup, i asked Slamt1t to share his table as i thought it would be some good advertising for him in a Tron theme'd cab, but never got a response.

Wanted to get some cool looking shots so setting up Hyperpin with a table image was the next best thing :)

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2011, 10:34:44 am »

Great looking cab.  Inspiring project.  It actually looks like more fun than the SWE1 in my basement. 

Maybe time for a conversion kit making a pin2k into a VP cab?   ;D

Nimbus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2019, 08:08:57 pm
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2011, 02:00:41 pm »
Amazing project. Hard to believe that something like this was built by hand by one person. What a stunning machine.  :applaud: I think that the picture of your project has finally pushed me over the edge to build my own...

macattack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2011, 02:26:16 pm »

Great looking cab.  Inspiring project.  It actually looks like more fun than the SWE1 in my basement. 

Maybe time for a conversion kit making a pin2k into a VP cab?   ;D

geeze, don't do that. give me the SWE1 and i'll build you a VP one  :applaud:
been wanting one of those for ages.

macattack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2011, 02:27:25 pm »
Amazing project. Hard to believe that something like this was built by hand by one person. What a stunning machine.  :applaud: I think that the picture of your project has finally pushed me over the edge to build my own...

Thanks, they are a true labor of love. you'll enjoy it. I am already in the building stage of another and planning for a few more :)

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2011, 02:51:19 pm »
I like how the house isn't ready, but the PinCab is.  :applaud:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

macattack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2011, 02:56:55 pm »
I like how the house isn't ready, but the PinCab is.  :applaud:

lol, yeah I am partitioning part of the basement for a home theater. the area where the pinball is will become an arcade with more VP cab's and arcade games :)

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2011, 03:07:50 pm »

Can you not find one?  They can't be that much more expensive than what this project cost you.  I would think the materials plus your labor is more than the cost of a decent pin2k.

macattack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2011, 03:27:08 pm »

Can you not find one?  They can't be that much more expensive than what this project cost you.  I would think the materials plus your labor is more than the cost of a decent pin2k.

it certainly is, but build a cab is over time.... buying a pin is a one time up front cost :)  I hate saving :)

pinballwizard79

• The above mentioned items do not expel strawberries & pretty girls
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2014, 09:18:00 pm
  • I sleep by my arcade every Friday
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2011, 11:06:53 pm »
I really like this cab, kudos

"George Bush doesn't care about arcade people"

My FrankenPanel: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=110312.0