Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Spinal Tap/Marshall amp arcade - updated 4/16/2015 - Glass  (Read 46306 times)

eds1275

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 10:50:02 am
  • Rock and Roll!
Spinal Tap/Marshall amp arcade - updated 4/16/2015 - Glass
« on: December 03, 2010, 12:38:48 pm »
   So I've been scouring this site for about a year now, and have had plans to build my machine for lets say about 5 years or so. But everything keeps getting in the way! Moved away, bought a house, did some serious renovations, took my part time home business into a new and full time direction. I'm still not done my renos, but I don't imagine they will be too much longer.

My fiance was randomly browsing the air miles page, seeing what she could get with her 400 points. The answer was very little. I decided to check mine, I carry the card and swipe it but never redeem. Well the time for redemption is NOW! I got $300 in gift certificates for the local home store [Rona]. Not my first choice, but if I can get gift cards for there why not? That will ll cover the cost of building the cabinet itself and leave me about... $240 left.

It will be 3 weeks before the gift cards arrive, but until then I can plan. Unfortunately business has slowed considerably for my home business during the holiday season, so we're on a strict budget - no extra spending allowed, especially since it's the time to be giving or some such nonsense.

So the details:

2 player standup
7 buttons each in the "Street Fighter with Run" or "SF/Neo Geo" setup
3" trackball in the middle
Spinner in the middle but on the front [there has been a lot of talk about this, but never seen it done... someone send links?]
2 aimtrack guns with built in holsters
2 USB ports on the bottom lip of the control panel for plugging in wired xbox360 controllers for 4 player if need be
24" LCD or possibly 27"... I'll have to check it out
30" wide
24" deep
6' tall + whatever the wheels/skirt measure... so probbly 6'3" or so
The control panel will be entirely between the sides of the cab - no wings or protrusions.

It'll be done up to fit in with it's surroundings!

Black elephant skin tolex/vinyl covering
White piping around the screen
Bezel made with marshall speaker grill cloth
Pinball flippers [white or black havent decided]
short admin panel with pause and exit - simple and out of the way
white t-molding
Happ coin door wired up for a credit when you insert a coin or push the reject
black buttons/ball
brushed bronze control panel - with numbers that go around the trackball to ELEVEN

Background of the front end [mala] made to look like the front of a Marshall 4x12 with the grill cloth and the logo. Background music and audio clips on the front end will be random spinal tap tunes and clips from both movies and the various performances/appearances they have done... for example:

The marquee will be something like Spinal Tapped or something similarly easy and stupid [just like spinal tap themselves].

I will initially gut an x-arcade and throw the parts in to play and swap parts in as I can afford them. The X-Arcade is just a temp. solution as I already have it.

So what have I done to date? Pulled apart 6 PCs from my graveyard and built 3 somewhat decent compys - 3 ghz processor, 2 gigs of ram each with windows xp. After this one is done I'll be making 2 minis, one for my nephews/niece, one for my godchildren. They will each be one player + usb port, using the x-arcade stuff. I've gotten ahold of about 6 hours of spinal tap material and edited it all down to about 4 hours of good stuff - everything from the songs to them heckling Metallica about stealing their album cover. Nigel Tufnel visiting the Marshall factory to unveil the JCM900 series [they go to twenty as standard]. I've mastered it all to be smooth from one bit to the next: countless hours of eqing, compression, limiting etc etc. I've got the background of the front end ready and am working on the menus.

This will sit in the lounge area of my recording studio. Let me give you a spiel on my studio: it's effin huge for a home studio, 1000 square feet. I am the only one who works there, and it is ***NOT*** open to the public. I write music there for some little things but hopefully soon some bigger things. I do however love to rock and have big jam sessions and jam parties, and my studio doubles as a wicked jam space for me and my musician buddies. Hence: The arcade machine. It's popular enough being on a TV with the x-arcade, but it's really lame IMO.

Why such a big screen? Well, a 27" widescreen LCD is totally not arcadely authentic, I agree. But I was thinking having a large screen would be a better way to save space in the lounge. I could forgo a bigger TV for the guests [the lounge doubles as a second guest bedroom, it has a pull-out couch, mainly for godchildren/nephews/niece]. The angle would be annoying pointing slightly up and away, but like I said it's mainly for the kids when they visit. I was thinking of putting a sliding shelf in a dado removable from the back panel with the PC guts mounted to it, and from the coin door side an easily accessible DVD drive for dropping in a movie or whatever. And of course the obligatory HDMI port possibly on the back of the machine for my nephews who don't go anywhere without their Xbox360. All surface-mounted ports will be neutrik or switchcraft panel mount jacks.

I have a render, and I'll post it later when I get downstairs to the studio - don't expect anything much, I just did it for measurements and to check out the shape. My render is terrible compared to what some of you guys do. For example, my joysticks are just cylinders  :D

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:54:06 am
I like it.  If done right, I'm sure it will go to 11.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
I haven't been down to the studio yet... I found a scrap of MDF from when I made a bookshelf and am making the gun holsters  8)

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
i can't wait to see this
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
I got rained out of making the gun holsters. I got a good start on them, and if it hadn't been cold out I would've not run in for a cup of tea mid-way through. Of well. Here's the crappy renders, as promised.

#1 - side view. I updated it to the new look on the left; the marquee area was originally 6" but it looks much better at 8". The old one is up for comparison. That lady or hippie is 5'6.

#2, my inspiration. One of my marshall amps. The bezel will be MDF and wrapped with the speaker cloth, and have the white piping and marshall badge in the bottom corner just like the speakers in this pic. The cabinet will be wrapped in the same elephant tolex as well - and of course the brushed bronze control panel [probbly 1/8 or 1/4 with mdf behind, held together with the buttons].

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:52:05 pm
I assume you saw Knievel's GH cab that looks like a Marshall stack?  Maybe you could "borrow" an idea or two...  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=72311.0

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
Yeah I've seen his work. I can only hope it turns out half as nice as even his offcuts lol. I'm a fairly confident woodworker though, and while I'm not expert I have recovered a few dozen guitar amps in my day. I think it will turn out awesome.

It's guys like Knievel and Ond that inspired me to go all the way with my ideas!

jipp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2016, 07:29:49 pm
hey great idea. im a huge spinal tap fan.. also play a little geetar!! heh.   my amp of choice is a carvin. :)

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BELAIR

look forward to the build.

chris.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
First Update! The building beings! After getting rained out the other day it of course turned out to be a beautiful day where I was busy... all day. I took a time out and cut some MDF into the gun holsters, and glued and nailgunned them together. I dunno where my clamps are ATM, so the brads will have to do. These holsters will be mounted to the inside of the cab so you put the gun into them from a hole in the front.

Set with the backdrop of my living room practice amp and Mr. T action figure [NOT A DOLL].

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
Re: Spinal Tap/Marshall amp arcade - updated 4/12/10 with gun holsters!
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 10:42:31 pm »
More progress today, my rusty coin door from an old Marvel Vs Capcom game I used to own has been stripped down, bent back into shape, and painted. I'm really getting ancy waiting for my gift cards to arrive, I wanna get going on the real stuff!

jipp

• Offline Offline
Re: Spinal Tap/Marshall amp arcade - updated 5/12/10 coin door refurbish
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 11:42:28 am »
that turned out nice.  i have a question. what length is the key lock on it?  i need to buy one and im not sure what size to buy. 

chris.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 01:24:58 pm »
Mine's 1 1/2", though it can be adjusted by using washers and such.

I only have scraps to work with until those gift cards arrive, so last night I was mastering the use of my biscuit joiner. I use it regularly enough but mine is really annoying to adjust  because to do 90° cuts I have to take off the pad. I can leave it on and adjust the depth to cut the same slot, but then it gets hard to hold steady and obviously I will not be risking that kind of foolish behavior. Anyway I got it down to an art now, so when the time comes to attach the sides I will be ready.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/2/CordedPowerTools/BiscuitJoiners/PRD~0548106P/Mastercraft%252B6A%252BBiscuit%252BJoiner.jsp?locale=en

I also picked up a 1/2"x 1" flush trim/pattern bit and made some junk to play with it. Lots of fun, lots of dust. Now I just gotta find a slot cutter and I'll be ready! We recently ran into some money but of course my home renos have to come before the fun stuff according to the fiance so I will have to tell her that it is for my studio equipment rack. Actually maybe I will use t-molding around that thing, the chrome stripe stuff is really nice.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 05:41:56 pm »
Ok since I couldn't be bothered to do it, a friend made some nice renders for me. They are awesome! **golf clap**

Machine

Sexy CP closeup

DirtyDachshunds

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2014, 01:14:25 pm
    • First Project: MillerCade
Re: Spinal Tap/Marshall amp arcade - updated 7/12/10 fancy renders!
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 03:19:59 pm »
Those renders look great!  I like your design.  It's classic, well layed out, the design seems very clean, and slim while still keeping the arcade feel.

I also like the placement of the spinner.  Much better there than mashing it behind the trackball. 

Now get that gift card and get goin!

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 03:29:14 pm »

I also like the placement of the spinner.  Much better there than mashing it behind the trackball. 

I like the spinner placement as well! I'll probably put numbers around it that "go to 11" for it, and it will be handy if I get one of those steering wheels that clip on. I was worried at first about it, but I didn't want to bash my hand into it if it was above the ball. I've read about people having a spinner on the front like this but never seen it done.

DirtyDachshunds

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 03:39:31 pm »
I like the spinner placement as well! I'll probably put numbers around it that "go to 11" for it, and it will be handy if I get one of those steering wheels that clip on.

I didn't even think of that.  That's a perfect spot for a wheel.  You also might want to wire in movable pedals as well.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 04:35:18 pm »
Player 2 joy for a shifter! whoo this just gets better and better... I think I'll see if there's some USB pedals I can have in the coin door or close by. These look expensive... but they have some FREAKING COOL STUFF on this site, and I'm sure it would work w/ Mame.

http://www.esat.at/en/index.php

**found the prices... yup... expensive. I'll keep an eye out, but until then the buttons near the joysticks can do it.

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2023, 12:10:24 pm
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 04:36:03 pm »
This design is really nice and has a great modern look. I particularly like the metal panel. The colours seem to fit well as well. If it turns out as well as the renders, it'll be excellent I'm sure.

Great theme, now start building
Click a pic for a video tour 

JayB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2013, 06:11:59 pm
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 07:10:23 pm »
Double check the renders and actual size before building  ;) :lol

jipp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2010, 07:33:20 pm »
yeah them renders look great, like the idea of 11 for the spinner.. yeah i think you are onto a great looking cab.  cant wait to follow you along your journey to 11.

chris.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2010, 08:33:31 pm »
Thanks guys, the renders are not for me to take credit for. I have to give a nOd to the ones responsible.

Today I stopped in at a place called Metal Supermarkets. I got a sheet of brassy goodness, 28 1/2 x 24" big. After a quick polish with Silvo it was like a big ass mirror. I LOVE IT. I am going to make the control panel and then bend this to size and lay it over top, held on only by the buttons.

Still waiting for those gift cards, there is a chance I will get them next week - I think I missed the cutoff for ordering things through air miles for xmas, but since it didn't specify what time zone the site was from I am unsure. Either way, getting this brass cut for me today was a huge deal, I was worried about the price of it because when I got an online quote it was $273... I paid $75 for this one. I will have to make a metal brake this week and test/practice on some scraps of galvanized steel I have laying around.

I managed to subdue the wrath of my fiance for my arcadely spoendage by giving her the Sims 3 for xbox 360 earlier than anticipated. Shes hogging the xbox now.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:54:06 am
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2010, 10:13:31 pm »
I think I'll see if there's some USB pedals I can have in the coin door or close by.

Not sure how much trouble you want to go to, but if you have an old distortion pedal, you can swap out the potentiometer in it and do a controller or joystick port hack.  You can get a USB joystick port adapter on fleabay for around $10.  I've tinkered with them and can show you how to wire it if you're interested.

Most people mash the  pedal anyway, so you could probably get away with just a switch.

DirtyDachshunds

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2010, 10:23:18 pm »
I managed to subdue the wrath of my fiance for my arcadely spoendage by giving her the Sims 3 for xbox 360 earlier than anticipated. Shes hogging the xbox now.

Clutch move!  Wife aggro can put a stop on any project.

Friend me up on XBL, 'gdog300'

That brass looks amazing btw.

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Almost done ...
Re: Spinal Tap/Marshall amp arcade - updated 10/12/10 BRASS MONKEY
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2010, 04:44:27 am »
Very interested in the metal panel and will be watching closely how you work with that. Still thinking of skinning a CP have with metal so plenty of detail please!

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
Re: Spinal Tap/Marshall amp arcade - updated 10/12/10 BRASS MONKEY
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 02:56:27 pm »
Well in the past few days not much has happened. I did however build a metal brake, and the results are excellent, except for one thing. I cheaped out and used aluminum. Looks like I have to go and get some angle iron! So I suppose you could call this one a prototype. Here it is:

A close up of my advanced technology - 3 pieces of angle iron, a piano hinge, and a bunch of bolts.

And finally a sample of the bending action. This sheet metal is 1/16" thick and 12 inches across, which was about the bending limit of the aluminum. I'm sure that the angle iron I'll pick up later today will be much better.

You'll notice the metal stand I had this clamped to. Well I had a great idea and I thought I'd share. Space is limited. I say that but I've seen what you other guys have to work in and it makes my work area look like an empty gymnasium. Anyway, my stand was on sale for $15 at Canadian Tire last week, and it has some mounting holes on it for a table saw. I thought it would be better suited for a multi-use table, so the plan is simple - cut a few sheets of plywood to fit on top that mount to the holes... and make each one have a separate use. For example, one will be my metal break I'll probbly make today or tomorrow. One will be a router table top and so forth - soldering station, guitar repair bed, and anything else I can think of. And of course they will all be more or less the width of a sheet of plywood.

In other exciting news... MY GIFT CARDS CAME! Wow was I ever excited. But of course there's some stupid logic from my woman that isn't stupid. We are driving the car right now and the truck is not insured because the stupid thing is rear wheel drive and doesn't like our Canadian weather - spins out all over the place. So anyway I know I'll be getting a bunch of gift cards for xmas, so I thought I should just get day insurance one day after xmas and do a day trip to the hardware stores I'll be getting stuff from, as well as going to the recycling depot with the xmas supplies. So it'll probbly be the 27th when I get stuff, and weather permitting I'll be making my first cuts on the 28th.

And then something else awesome happened. I was chatting with my mom about my gift cards, and she was like "Oh I have some air miles, feel free to use them if you want." So yeah... I DO want. As in I DO want another $450 in gift cards! The shame of paying with all gift cards is worth the fact that it's free and should help me finish up my renos!

Erik

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2013, 09:04:35 pm
Re: Spinal Tap/Marshall amp arcade - updated 17/12/10 metal brake fail!
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2010, 09:22:49 pm »
sweet job on the diy brake

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
Re: Spinal Tap/Marshall amp arcade - updated 17/12/10 metal brake fail!
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2010, 03:44:50 pm »

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
Re: Spinal Tap/Marshall amp arcade - updated 29/12/10 - first cuts
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2010, 08:58:25 pm »
So I got the gift cards the other day, went to Rona, bought a bunch of flooring, installed it in one day. Then I went to rona again, and bought a buttload of MDF for various projects, all of which take priority over the arcade machine, like window sills and stuff like that. I finished up all the other projects in 3 hours, and made the first 3 cuts into the MDF right as the sun went down! 3 pieces, 48" x 28 3/4"... not the most exiting thing ever, but super exciting for me. I have one of the pieces in the living room, and I'm gonna sit down with a Dr. Pepper and mark out the coin door and gun holster locations. The other 2 pieces are for the back and top.

I also got some plywood and some 2x4s for a drum riser and also for the base of the machine. Tomorrow before I can work on this I need to lay down some vinyl flooring in the new laundry room, but it shouldn't take me long. I've been taking some pics but none of them are exciting enough to share yet.

Also, I bought a pack of Freud Diablo thin kerf blades foir my circ saw - and they are great. Thinner blades means they hog out less material, and that means less drag in the cut... you can cut faster, eliminating burning. I am impressed, and will buy them again.

DirtyDachshunds

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2010, 08:09:12 am »
Hardware shopping, installed flooring, installed sills + other projects, and still had time to work on the arcade in 2 days?  Wow, you work much quicker than I.

Post dem pics!

Rick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2010, 09:39:02 am »
I'd love to see some vids of the metal brake in operation, if you can do that.  It looks like something very useful!  (I've got a window screaming for some replacement flashing.)

The work's looking awesome.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2010, 11:26:53 am »
Hardware shopping, installed flooring, installed sills + other projects, and still had time to work on the arcade in 2 days?  Wow, you work much quicker than I.

Post dem pics!

Yeah I'm pretty zippy - trying to finish my renos before the 3 year mark lol. It's a laminate but it is great quality. I really wanted more hardwood but the cost was too high unfortunately. Nearly $6 for the stuff I wanted a square foot. What I ended up getting was normally $4 a square foot, on sale for $1.79... and since the subfloor I built is so flat, there's no noticable give when you walk around on it. And no squeaks.

And finally, a pic of the front panel of the machine!

And my helper, Gordon the cat.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
Re: Spinal Tap/Marshall amp arcade - updated 30/12/10 - cutting really begins!
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2010, 09:44:26 pm »
Here's one side cut, and the front for the coin door and gun holsters. I gotta smooth over the rounded corners with some sandpaper in the morning, and then I'll flush trim a double. The coin door fits PERFECTLY. It's pretty sweet. The gun holsters also line up very nicely.

I hope to get quite a lot done tomorrow, I hear mixed reviews - it may snow, it may be cold and sunny. I'll be out there if it isn't wet!

jipp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2010, 12:12:34 am »
i like the thin line design.. whats the measurement from the back to the front of the control panel tray, and also the regular cab..  hope you understand what i mean..  the cab i build for my sister and probably make a copy for my self at the same time..  as the cab im working on now is  really to big for my needs.. ( the look smaller on paper )  a thin line is the way to go for me.  thanks, keep up the good work.

chris.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 12:14:19 am by jipp »

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2010, 09:33:27 am »
Here's the dimensions. The width on this thing, side to side, is 29 7/8 after assembly. I'm using 5/8 for the sides because of the tolex/vinyl wrap. If I was using 3/4 it would be an even 30". The inside dimensions are 28 3/4. Here's a pic of the side profile dimensions.

jipp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2010, 11:26:39 am »
thank you.  much easier to visualize the over all size..    i dig it. :)

chris.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
OK so most of the cutting is done! I cannot praise these blades (Frued Diablo)  enough.

Biscuit slots cut, base made, beginning the first gluing.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
Re: Spinal Tap/Marshall amp arcade - updated 1/1/11 - Glue up!
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2011, 12:32:55 am »
OK I've been working all day on other projects, but came back to this in the end!

and

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2011, 04:30:41 am »
Looking very good. Love the shape but you've GOT to go with the brass coloured panel for the Marshall theme.

mattmayhem

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2011, 10:13:41 pm
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2011, 04:54:10 am »
Looks great man! Cant wait to see more!  :applaud: I used to have a dodge dakota, 1991.. I loved that truck, I dogged the piss out of it, even toured in it a few times, and it had a ---smurfy--- cap on the back that was way to small, but I rigged it up with c clamps, but honestly, it was ugly as sin, but the most reliable truck I have ever owned. Cheers for dodge pickups  :cheers:
If you're into Psychobilly, check out my band

www.therecentlydeceased.com

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2011, 11:07:01 am »
Great progress on your cab.  You are getting alot of projects done.  :applaud: :applaud: