Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 32/64bit Groovy Arcade Linux LiveCD/Install  (Read 140530 times)

bitbytebit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 02, 2019, 11:07:16 am
    • The Groovy Organization
Re: 32/64bit Groovy Arcade Linux LiveCD/Install
« Reply #160 on: April 29, 2011, 12:12:57 am »
I ran into a couple of snags...

I was able to do the wahcade -d thing...at first I got 3 issues and I was able to resolve 2 of those.
1)PIL module not found error.....something about rotated images not supported
2)control.ini missing in /emulators/mame/ ....easy fix
3)directory not found /home/roms/avi...easy fix
So I copied the controls.ini file and moved all my .avi's to the appropriate directory.  Nothing to talk about though...no improvement.

Checkout both the stable and development wahcade:

# first get bzr
sudo emerge -av bzr
# get devel
bzr branch lp:~waynemou/wahcade/devel
# get stable
bzr branch lp:wahcade

Then you can apply the patch attached here to these for the changes in config options groovymame uses...

cd wahcade && cat ../wahcade.diff |patch -p0

Then run the normal install script in the wahcade directory.  I'm guessing the devel version isn't the one to use, but the main one might be with the fix mentioned earlier in this thread, possibly will help.  If not, at least with this patch you can recompile wahcade, and possibly try the other main one that's available (99preX), but with that there's still a fix that needs to be done for it...

I was able to download the three branches, but I'm at a roadblock now.  I downloaded the wahcade.diff file but wasn't sure what directory to copy it to.  Also, I typed the your command verbatim and I got a directory or file not found error. (cd wahcade && cat ../wahcade.diff |patch -p0)  Since I didn't get any further, I didn't attempt the install script.....

You'll need to download, and unzip the patch 'unzip wahcade.zip', then copy it to the directory of wahcade and reference it with the patch command.  I was just assuming it was one directory below the wahcade directory you were compiling with that command using ../ but it could be anywhere in the file system.  The PIL images not supported doesn't matter, so don't worry about that.  If able to patch each of those, and run ./install for them, might get better results hopefully in one or another of them. 
SwitchRes / GroovyMame - http://arcade.groovy.org
Modeline Generator and Mame Wrapper for Windows or Linux
LiveCD of Groovy Arcade Linux for Arcade Monitors
GroovyMame - generate arcade resolutions like advancemame
--
The Groovy Organization

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #161 on: April 29, 2011, 01:56:14 pm »
Here's the newest wahcade 1.0pre1 zipped up, just unzip it and enter the wahcade directory it makes.  After that just type sudo ./install and it should install on the system, see if that works better.

http://mario.groovy.org/GroovyArcade/wahcade.zip

--
The Groovy Organization

dmarcum99

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2020, 12:02:36 am
« Reply #162 on: April 29, 2011, 11:43:18 pm »
after much testing I still could not get any of the multimedia features to work. 

I unzipped the file and ran the ./install in the newly created wahcade directory and it installed fine.  When I ran wahcade-setup from the same directory, I expected to see the setup program at the program defaults, but it had my previous settings from the livecd install directory (/.wahcade).  So I don't know if that has anything to do with not getting anything to play....   :dunno  I rebooted, started from the terminal, and still no go.

the arcade ambience file is almost 90mb and .mp3 format...would this make a difference?
my video files are in 640x480 .avi format - these should be fine, right?

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #163 on: April 30, 2011, 12:02:03 am »
after much testing I still could not get any of the multimedia features to work. 

I unzipped the file and ran the ./install in the newly created wahcade directory and it installed fine.  When I ran wahcade-setup from the same directory, I expected to see the setup program at the program defaults, but it had my previous settings from the livecd install directory (/.wahcade).  So I don't know if that has anything to do with not getting anything to play....   :dunno  I rebooted, started from the terminal, and still no go.

the arcade ambience file is almost 90mb and .mp3 format...would this make a difference?
my video files are in 640x480 .avi format - these should be fine, right?

Yeah the config files are fine, they should be the same.  I think the author of wahcade is reworking the whole way the media stuff functions, says that in the repository comments, guessing it's either broken right now or some other library is missing. 

We can try the development version too, see what that does.  Not sure, I do know it's got a bit more changes with the media stuff, it could be fixed there, but of course it also could be quite more broken since it's a development branch, we'll have to see.

I'm not sure about the file size, it could be, actually all I ever did was to have wahcade play my mp3 files like a jukebox randomly.  So the other media stuff I never tested actually, it could still be a work in progress for all I know.
--
The Groovy Organization

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #164 on: April 30, 2011, 12:46:13 am »
Here's the development wahcade patched, see how it works, zip file will extract to ./devel...

http://mario.groovy.org/GroovyArcade/wahcade_devel.zip
--
The Groovy Organization

dmarcum99

• Offline Offline
« Reply #165 on: April 30, 2011, 03:01:46 am »
no luck with the devel version either...I was worried that the gstreamer was broken, so I loaded up advmenu and I was able to get the arcade ambience .mp3 to play in the background.  I still couldn't figure out how to get the movies to play even in advmenu.  But I don't think advmenu plays .avi's either.

I was starting to think perhaps I wasn't setting up WAHCADE right, but the setup program asks for the specific directories and I can point it to them...??

General_Faliure

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2022, 07:30:40 am
    • My Arcade Cab
« Reply #166 on: April 30, 2011, 05:28:02 am »
You can also post wahcade specific questions in the wahcade forum at; http://www.anti-particle.com/wahcade.shtml.

Greetz, Ger.
My Arcade cab: https://goo.gl/photos/yE1KACHryQjCaaCj7
Core2 duo8400 @3.6 Ghz, 4Gb of mem, Geforce 9500.
Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE, Mame, Mess, Daphne FS-Uae, Mednafen and some more.
Mah!cade

Quinny

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 08, 2014, 07:52:07 am
« Reply #167 on: May 15, 2011, 05:35:35 am »
I have tried the latest LiveCD and it works fantastically for what I was testing. I just wanted to test it live without installing anything. However there is one minor issue I had and I'm not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread yet.

I have a custom chassis which can use the CGA setting and that works fine. When I get to test a game and it loads up the menu (Advance menu? The green one) but it loses sync and starts flickering/scrolling and appears three times on screen. Once I choose a game the screen is fine again. So there seems to be an issue setting the resolution for when the game menu is displayed.

In the monitor.c file you have some predefined setting for different monitors. How do you find out the settings? I have a custom chassis and I was wondering how I can work out what those settings should be? CGA is fine but perhaps I can get something a bit better with the right settings. This chassis is dual-res so I can get 25KHz on it too which I would like to set up in the monitor.c file if I can.

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #168 on: May 15, 2011, 09:22:35 am »
I have tried the latest LiveCD and it works fantastically for what I was testing. I just wanted to test it live without installing anything. However there is one minor issue I had and I'm not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread yet.

I have a custom chassis which can use the CGA setting and that works fine. When I get to test a game and it loads up the menu (Advance menu? The green one) but it loses sync and starts flickering/scrolling and appears three times on screen. Once I choose a game the screen is fine again. So there seems to be an issue setting the resolution for when the game menu is displayed.

In the monitor.c file you have some predefined setting for different monitors. How do you find out the settings? I have a custom chassis and I was wondering how I can work out what those settings should be? CGA is fine but perhaps I can get something a bit better with the right settings. This chassis is dual-res so I can get 25KHz on it too which I would like to set up in the monitor.c file if I can.

The X windows startup, or when it runs the front end/Advance Menu, probably needs a better 641x280 modeline generated.  You can exit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and replace it with a new one. 

To generate a new modeline, you need to use switchres at the command line, like this...

switchres 641 480 60.00 --mrange 15250.00-15700.00,49.50-65.00,2.000,4.700,8.000,0.064,0.192,1.024,0,0,288.0,448

Trick is you'll need to edit the line and figure out the right ranges for your monitor, basically you should see that it is first the horizontal range, then the vertical refresh range, then the front porch sync pulse and back porch first horizontally then vertically, then the horizontal polarity and then the vertical polarity, maximum line height and then the min virtualized or interlaced line size.

Calamity might know more details on what it actually needs to get the monitor to work right.  Since in Mame things are working fine, should probably only need to edit xorg.conf for now to get the front end working.  If you know your monitors exact ranges, and other details, that would be possibly the best way to get it working with 640x480 resolutions (the front end is setup though to 641 width to avoid clashing with games using that resolution too). 

In the mame.ini you can do this same setting, multiple times too if you want different ranges like to add the EGA one you can do.  In mame.ini it uses monitor_specs ...  then basically the same format as with switchres.  Probably better to avoid that for now till just get xorg.conf right though.  You can pull out and view the lines/ranges with switchres using this command...

switchres 641 480 60 --showmrange  --monitor cga

So can use that and give it ega for the 24khz range, and in theory add two lines to mame.ini like this (or actually edit the current ones)...

monitor_specs 15250.00-15700.00,49.50-65.00,2.000,4.700,8.000,0.064,0.192,1.024,0,0,288.0,448
monitor_specs 24959.99-24960.00,50.00-60.00,2.910,3.000,4.440,0.451,0.164,1.048,0,0,384.0,576

And that would give you both ranges available to mame.

--
The Groovy Organization

gabe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 10, 2012, 12:44:38 pm
« Reply #169 on: May 25, 2011, 11:13:29 am »
First and foremost, I would like to thank you for your contributions to the community. As a newcomer to this hobby, I was absolutely shocked by the lack of Linux support. As others in this thread have stated, Linux seems like the obvious choice for a dedicated arcade cabinet.

Quote from: bitbytebit
Also I have the complete build scripts and extra files needed to build the Groovy Arcade Linux liveCD distribution from scratch, although not recommended because of the effort and having it already built for you, it is available for the curious.

I don't like Samba being installed and configured for me. I prefer a text editor to Webmin, and I have no desire to emulate home consoles (I'm happy with MAME). I don't want FVWM and LXDE installed... Nor do I need Midnight Commander, Chromium, etc etc.

I understand why the distribution is setup this way, but it would be nice if there was a "minimal" install option, or perhaps an "advanced setup" that allowed the user to deselect packages. If that is not an option, I would be very interested in any information on "rolling my own" install of Groovy Arcade Linux.

I gather that Groovy is Gentoo based. Beyond that, things get a bit fuzzy. It sounds like Groovy might be using a custom patched kernel? If I installed and configured Gentoo to my liking, what would I need to do to get SwitchRes, GroovyMAME, etc humming along on my Wells Gardner monitor? Is it as simple as grabbing the ebuilds?

I understand you are not a documentation writer, but I'm willing to help. If you can point me in the right direction, I would be more than happy to create a proper "Custom Groovy Install" howto... Unless of course, this goes against the project's goals.

Cheers!

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #170 on: May 25, 2011, 09:35:36 pm »
First and foremost, I would like to thank you for your contributions to the community. As a newcomer to this hobby, I was absolutely shocked by the lack of Linux support. As others in this thread have stated, Linux seems like the obvious choice for a dedicated arcade cabinet.

Quote from: bitbytebit
Also I have the complete build scripts and extra files needed to build the Groovy Arcade Linux liveCD distribution from scratch, although not recommended because of the effort and having it already built for you, it is available for the curious.

I don't like Samba being installed and configured for me. I prefer a text editor to Webmin, and I have no desire to emulate home consoles (I'm happy with MAME). I don't want FVWM and LXDE installed... Nor do I need Midnight Commander, Chromium, etc etc.

I understand why the distribution is setup this way, but it would be nice if there was a "minimal" install option, or perhaps an "advanced setup" that allowed the user to deselect packages. If that is not an option, I would be very interested in any information on "rolling my own" install of Groovy Arcade Linux.

I gather that Groovy is Gentoo based. Beyond that, things get a bit fuzzy. It sounds like Groovy might be using a custom patched kernel? If I installed and configured Gentoo to my liking, what would I need to do to get SwitchRes, GroovyMAME, etc humming along on my Wells Gardner monitor? Is it as simple as grabbing the ebuilds?

I understand you are not a documentation writer, but I'm willing to help. If you can point me in the right direction, I would be more than happy to create a proper "Custom Groovy Install" howto... Unless of course, this goes against the project's goals.

Cheers!

Yeah I'm in the middle of moving right now, haven't had any time to do extra stuff, sorry about getting back to you late. 

I agree, the extra stuff isn't necessary, I actually could make a script to run and it would remove all the extras.  In Gentoo it's easy to completely remove all those packages, with the emerge command.  If you read up some on Gentoo, and how emerge works, you'll see the ways you can remove packages and the dependencies too, or add packages.  I'll look into writing a script to remove that stuff, or if you figure it  out before me that would be a wonderful contribution.  Also thanks for offering to write documentation, it would be great.

It's a patched kernel, to allow the console to be 15khz with the proper video= kernel command line added in grub to activate it.  There's 2 patches in the kernel/patches/ subdirectory in the git repository that are the ones used.
--
The Groovy Organization

gabe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #171 on: May 26, 2011, 09:12:50 am »
You replied within 12 hours of my post. I hardly consider that late. :)

I can probably handle a simple bash script to remove packages and dependencies. I'll dig into the Gentoo/emerge documentation and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the tips. I'll report back with my findings.

gabe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #172 on: June 03, 2011, 04:54:25 pm »
After tinkering with various setups for the past week, I've decided that I'd rather patch together a custom solution using Arch (my distribution of choice). I still plan on documenting my findings, and possibly submitting some Arch PKGBUILDs... But I have a few questions.

I falsely assumed I would be able to use my AVGA3000 with a vanilla kernel and open source ATI Drivers... When Googling the complaints found in dmesg, I was brought back here to find that you have already solved this problem. :) For my particular case, am I correct in assuming that the only kernel patch of yours I need is avga3000.diff?

I also have some questions about building GroovyMAME, but I don't want to pollute this thread too much. Would you rather I create a new thread?

Thanks!

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #173 on: June 05, 2011, 04:50:02 pm »
After tinkering with various setups for the past week, I've decided that I'd rather patch together a custom solution using Arch (my distribution of choice). I still plan on documenting my findings, and possibly submitting some Arch PKGBUILDs... But I have a few questions.

I falsely assumed I would be able to use my AVGA3000 with a vanilla kernel and open source ATI Drivers... When Googling the complaints found in dmesg, I was brought back here to find that you have already solved this problem. :) For my particular case, am I correct in assuming that the only kernel patch of yours I need is avga3000.diff?

I also have some questions about building GroovyMAME, but I don't want to pollute this thread too much. Would you rather I create a new thread?

Thanks!

Try all patches, they won't hurt and best to apply both of them (the avga and general linux diffs).  Also you need the hd2600.bin vbios for the ATI generic HD2600 card too, it makes the AVGA3000 into a normal Radeon ATI card, and allows it to work with the ATI DRM interface in the Linux kernel.  That is located under /lib/firmware/radeon/ in the ISO image, so you can boot the CD and scp that file from it, copy it somewhere, and make sure it's available for the patches to use.  Also make sure you use the .config file from the git repository too as a starter for compiling the kenrel, there are a few important lines in there to make the ATI drivers in Linux work right.  That is located under the /kernel/ directory I think in the git repository.  Hopefully you can figure all that out from this, I don't have tons of time right now, but mostly should be enough to help you get it working in Arch Linux.  Someone else had issues getting a kernel compiled with the patches in another distribution, but will be interesting how it work for you.  It's another thing I'd like to look at eventually, when I have more time :).
--
The Groovy Organization

gabe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #174 on: June 14, 2011, 06:16:32 pm »
I finally got around to trying this in Arch.

I successfully patched and compiled the kernel. The new kernel boots, and recognizes that I have an AVGA3000... But then I run into problems. I've attached what I assume to be the relevant errors from kernel.log. I'm out of time to tinker for the evening, but I'll be back at it tomorrow. If you have any ideas, I would love to hear them.

I should note that at the moment, I am running this on a 17" CRT computer monitor using a DVI-->VGA adapter.

This is where my monitor scrambles:

Code: [Select]
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [   62.246249] [drm] Loading RV630 Microcode
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.200108] r600_cp: Failed to load firmware "radeon/R600_rlc.bin"
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.200153] [drm:r600_startup] *ERROR* Failed to load firmware!
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.200195] radeon 0000:01:00.0: disabling GPU acceleration
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.201275] radeon 0000:01:00.0: ffff88007a08e400 unpin not necessary
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.201317] radeon 0000:01:00.0: ffff88007a08e400 unpin not necessary

The rest, for context:

Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [    1.010372] [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [    1.010425] [drm] radeon defaulting to kernel modesetting.
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [    1.010466] [drm] radeon kernel modesetting enabled.
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [    1.010581] radeon 0000:01:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [    1.010625] radeon 0000:01:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [    1.011946] [drm] initializing kernel modesetting (RV630 0x1002:0x958F).
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [    1.012002] [drm] register mmio base: 0xFEAF0000
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [    1.012043] [drm] register mmio size: 65536
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [    1.012089] ArcadeVGA 3000 board found
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [    1.760138] Refined TSC clocksource calibration: 3000.170 MHz.
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [    1.760183] Switching to clocksource tsc
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [   62.244611] ATOM BIOS: 102
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [   62.244678] radeon 0000:01:00.0: VRAM: 512M 0x0000000000000000 - 0x000000001FFFFFFF (512M used)
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [   62.244722] radeon 0000:01:00.0: GTT: 512M 0x0000000020000000 - 0x000000003FFFFFFF
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [   62.244937] [drm] Detected VRAM RAM=512M, BAR=256M
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [   62.244984] [drm] RAM width 128bits DDR
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [   62.245106] [TTM] Zone  kernel: Available graphics memory: 1025478 kiB.
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [   62.245150] [TTM] Initializing pool allocator.
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [   62.245203] [drm] radeon: 512M of VRAM memory ready
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [   62.245244] [drm] radeon: 512M of GTT memory ready.
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [   62.245299] [drm] Supports vblank timestamp caching Rev 1 (10.10.2010).
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [   62.245340] [drm] Driver supports precise vblank timestamp query.
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [   62.245416] radeon 0000:01:00.0: irq 42 for MSI/MSI-X
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [   62.245421] radeon 0000:01:00.0: radeon: using MSI.
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [   62.245483] [drm] radeon: irq initialized.
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [   62.245523] [drm] GART: num cpu pages 131072, num gpu pages 131072
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.200108] r600_cp: Failed to load firmware "radeon/R600_rlc.bin"
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.200153] [drm:r600_startup] *ERROR* Failed to load firmware!
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.200195] radeon 0000:01:00.0: disabling GPU acceleration
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.201275] radeon 0000:01:00.0: ffff88007a08e400 unpin not necessary
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.201317] radeon 0000:01:00.0: ffff88007a08e400 unpin not necessary
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.201360] [drm] Enabling audio support
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.201404] failed to evaluate ATIF got AE_BAD_PARAMETER
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.201536] [drm] Radeon Display Connectors
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.201576] [drm] Connector 0:
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.201615] [drm]   DVI-I
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.201654] [drm]   HPD1
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.201694] [drm]   DDC: 0x7e50 0x7e50 0x7e54 0x7e54 0x7e58 0x7e58 0x7e5c 0x7e5c
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.201737] [drm]   Encoders:
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.201776] [drm]     DFP1: INTERNAL_KLDSCP_TMDS1
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.201816] [drm]     CRT2: INTERNAL_KLDSCP_DAC2
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.201856] [drm] Connector 1:
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.201895] [drm]   VGA
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.201935] [drm]   DDC: 0x7e40 0x7e40 0x7e44 0x7e44 0x7e48 0x7e48 0x7e4c 0x7e4c
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.201978] [drm]   Encoders:
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.202017] [drm]     CRT1: INTERNAL_KLDSCP_DAC1
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.202057] [drm]     DFP2: INTERNAL_LVTM1
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.266520] [drm] radeon: power management initialized
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.341662] [drm] fb mappable at 0xD0040000
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.341706] [drm] vram apper at 0xD0000000
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.341745] [drm] size 3145728
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.341784] [drm] fb depth is 24
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.341823] [drm]    pitch is 4096
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.565287] Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x48
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.567922] fb0: radeondrmfb frame buffer device
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.567923] drm: registered panic notifier
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.567977] [drm] Initialized radeon 2.8.0 20080528 for 0000:01:00.0 on minor 0

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #175 on: June 14, 2011, 06:39:03 pm »
ah might need to copy a newer /lib/firmware directory from the cd too, that distro might be missing the latest radeon firmware.

I finally got around to trying this in Arch.

I successfully patched and compiled the kernel. The new kernel boots, and recognizes that I have an AVGA3000... But then I run into problems. I've attached what I assume to be the relevant errors from kernel.log. I'm out of time to tinker for the evening, but I'll be back at it tomorrow. If you have any ideas, I would love to hear them.

I should note that at the moment, I am running this on a 17" CRT computer monitor using a DVI-->VGA adapter.

This is where my monitor scrambles:

The rest, for context:

Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [    1.010372] [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [    1.010425] [drm] radeon defaulting to kernel modesetting.
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [    1.010466] [drm] radeon kernel modesetting enabled.
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [    1.010581] radeon 0000:01:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [    1.010625] radeon 0000:01:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [    1.011946] [drm] initializing kernel modesetting (RV630 0x1002:0x958F).
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [    1.012002] [drm] register mmio base: 0xFEAF0000
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [    1.012043] [drm] register mmio size: 65536
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [    1.012089] ArcadeVGA 3000 board found
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [    1.760138] Refined TSC clocksource calibration: 3000.170 MHz.
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [    1.760183] Switching to clocksource tsc
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [   62.244611] ATOM BIOS: 102
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [   62.244678] radeon 0000:01:00.0: VRAM: 512M 0x0000000000000000 - 0x000000001FFFFFFF (512M used)
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [   62.244722] radeon 0000:01:00.0: GTT: 512M 0x0000000020000000 - 0x000000003FFFFFFF
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [   62.244937] [drm] Detected VRAM RAM=512M, BAR=256M
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [   62.244984] [drm] RAM width 128bits DDR
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [   62.245106] [TTM] Zone  kernel: Available graphics memory: 1025478 kiB.
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [   62.245150] [TTM] Initializing pool allocator.
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [   62.245203] [drm] radeon: 512M of VRAM memory ready
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [   62.245244] [drm] radeon: 512M of GTT memory ready.
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [   62.245299] [drm] Supports vblank timestamp caching Rev 1 (10.10.2010).
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [   62.245340] [drm] Driver supports precise vblank timestamp query.
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [   62.245416] radeon 0000:01:00.0: irq 42 for MSI/MSI-X
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [   62.245421] radeon 0000:01:00.0: radeon: using MSI.
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [   62.245483] [drm] radeon: irq initialized.
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [   62.245523] [drm] GART: num cpu pages 131072, num gpu pages 131072
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.201360] [drm] Enabling audio support
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.201404] failed to evaluate ATIF got AE_BAD_PARAMETER
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.201536] [drm] Radeon Display Connectors
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.201576] [drm] Connector 0:
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.201615] [drm]   DVI-I
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.201654] [drm]   HPD1
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.201694] [drm]   DDC: 0x7e50 0x7e50 0x7e54 0x7e54 0x7e58 0x7e58 0x7e5c 0x7e5c
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.201737] [drm]   Encoders:
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.201776] [drm]     DFP1: INTERNAL_KLDSCP_TMDS1
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.201816] [drm]     CRT2: INTERNAL_KLDSCP_DAC2
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.201856] [drm] Connector 1:
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.201895] [drm]   VGA
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.201935] [drm]   DDC: 0x7e40 0x7e40 0x7e44 0x7e44 0x7e48 0x7e48 0x7e4c 0x7e4c
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.201978] [drm]   Encoders:
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.202017] [drm]     CRT1: INTERNAL_KLDSCP_DAC1
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.202057] [drm]     DFP2: INTERNAL_LVTM1
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.266520] [drm] radeon: power management initialized
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.341662] [drm] fb mappable at 0xD0040000
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.341706] [drm] vram apper at 0xD0000000
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.341745] [drm] size 3145728
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.341784] [drm] fb depth is 24
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.341823] [drm]    pitch is 4096
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.565287] Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x48
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.567922] fb0: radeondrmfb frame buffer device
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.567923] drm: registered panic notifier
Jun 14 17:52:39 localhost kernel: [  123.567977] [drm] Initialized radeon 2.8.0 20080528 for 0000:01:00.0 on minor 0
--
The Groovy Organization

gabe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #176 on: June 15, 2011, 03:08:52 pm »
SUCCESS! Thanks for the help, bitbytebit.

I doubt there will be much demand for a detailed write-up, as anyone who actually has the desire to do this could probably figure out the process from the preceding posts... But for posterity, here is the quick and dirty version of how I Groov-ified Arch Linux with an AVGA 3000.

bitbytebit - if you have any input or feedback, I'd love to hear it.

I enabled the testing repository so that I could update xf86-video-ati from 6.14.1 to 6.14.2. I'm not sure if this is necessary, but it seemed like a good idea after running into problems with my first compile.

The latest version of Groovy was built using kernel 2.6.38.3, so that is also the version I used. After downloading from kernel.org, I unpacked and did make mrproper. I then applied ati9200_pllfix.diff, avga3000.diff, and linux.diff sourced from git.groovy.org. I did NOT apply oss4_liveCD.diff as I do not believe it is necessary for my application.

I then copied over my existing (default Arch) .config via zcat /proc/config.gz > .config. I compared this .config to kernel_config-64bit found on git.groovy.org. It looked to me like the relevant changes were found under Device Drivers --> Generic Driver Options.

I changed:
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE=""
to:
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="radeon/JUNIPER_rlc.bin radeon/CYPRESS_rlc.bin radeon/CEDAR_rlc.bin radeon/R700_rlc.bin radeon/R600_rlc.bin radeon/CEDAR_me.bin radeon/CEDAR_pfp.bin radeon/JUNIPER_me.bin radeon/JUNIPER_pfp.bin radeon/CYPRESS_me.bin radeon/CYPRESS_pfp.bin radeon/PALM_me.bin radeon/PALM_pfp.bin radeon/SUMO_rlc.bin radeon/REDWOOD_me.bin radeon/REDWOOD_pfp.bin radeon/REDWOOD_rlc.bin radeon/hd2600.bin"
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware"

I then booted the Groovy Linux live CD, switched to a virtual console, mounted my Arch root filesystem and copied /lib/firmware/radeon from Groovy to the same location on my Arch filesystem. I then rebooted (back to Arch).

Finally, I compiled using a kernel PKGBUILD found on the Arch Wiki and installed the resulting package with pacman. I double checked the contents of /boot/ and menu.lst, crossed my fingers, and rebooted. When the system came back up, Kernel Mode Setting worked, and I was also able to startx!

I'm going to dig into Groovy Mame next.

gabe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #177 on: June 17, 2011, 02:30:21 pm »
In the interest of documenting the process, I've attached my xorg.conf. It is based largely on xorg.conf's posted by bitbytebit in the Switchres thread.

# Config for Wells-Gardner k7000 and ArcadeVGA 3000

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option          "BlankTime"  "0"
        Option          "NoPM"  "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "VGA-0"
        VendorName      "Wells-Gardner"
        ModelName       "25k7191"

Option          "DPMS"  "false"

HorizSync       15.10-16.80
        VertRefresh     47.00-63.00

UseModes        "ArcadeModes"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Card0"
        VendorName      "ATI Technologies Inc"
        BoardName       "Unknown Board"

Driver          "radeon"
        BusID           "PCI:01:00:0"

Option          "EXAVSync"  "true"
        Option          "EnablePageFlip"  "true"
        Option          "ModeDebug"  "true"
        Option          "IgnoreEDID"  "true"
        Option          "monitor-VGA-0"  "VGA-0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Card0"
        Monitor    "VGA-0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     8
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     16
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Modes"
        Identifier      "ArcadeModes"
        ModeLine        "640x480x60.00" 13.004160 640 664 728 832 480 482 488 521 -HSync -VSync interlace
EndSection

Originally, I had included the following lines, but they resulted in warnings in Xorg.0.log. I'm wondering if this is because I am presently using the virgin unpatched ATI driver?

Section "Monitor"
        Option          "MinClock"      "1Mhz"
        Option          "MaxClock"      "90Mhz"

Section "Device"
        Option          "ForceMinDotClock"  "3mhz"

gabe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #178 on: June 17, 2011, 02:30:46 pm »
no luck with the devel version either...I was worried that the gstreamer was broken, so I loaded up advmenu and I was able to get the arcade ambience .mp3 to play in the background.  I still couldn't figure out how to get the movies to play even in advmenu.  But I don't think advmenu plays .avi's either.

I have mp3 playback working in wah!cade devel under Arch Linux. It plays Arcade Ambiance with no issues. I needed to install 3 packages:

• gstreamer0.10
  • gstreamer0.10-plugins
  • gstreamer0.10-python

I'm guessing the "gotcha" is that last package. The Gentoo equivalent looks to be gst-python. I can't comment on playback of *.avi's (yet).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 02:35:17 pm by gabe »

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #179 on: June 18, 2011, 07:46:16 am »
Awesome, that is great, glad to know it's working outside of the distribution and in general for other distros :).  Yeah I think all those steps are the key, firmware was something that sort of slipped my mind at first but is an important key to get the  stuff kicking into 15khz mode right after the grub menu displays.  The reason I really built the distribution was to create a prototype and since it was hard for others to do all the changes I made to get a Linux system to do 15khz mode.  So good to know it's actually allowing anyone to repeat the steps I took to get any linux distro to work right.
--
The Groovy Organization

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #180 on: June 29, 2011, 05:00:21 pm »
Diffs are up for mame 0143, will get the mame ebuild and CD ISO images updated soon hopefully, probably next few days.
--
The Groovy Organization

ves

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2020, 02:57:49 am
« Reply #181 on: June 30, 2011, 03:09:17 am »
Hello bitbytebit , this morning I started to update the diff for the new version but have been faster than expected  ;D, even thought these out of service, so much better.

You will not include the patch wiimote? and Openppjoy with applications that you said they were for the new livecd?

Thank you.

dmarcum99

• Offline Offline
« Reply #182 on: June 30, 2011, 11:38:45 am »
I am intrigued with the wiimote thing as well.  A new gun that has a wiimote built-in the housing is available now.  It's called Scorpion VII.  I am dying to hear if this can work with groovymame.

http://superufo.com/product_html/Nintendo_Wii_Wii_Scorpion_Vii.html

ves

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2020, 02:57:49 am
« Reply #183 on: July 01, 2011, 07:15:37 am »
Hello updated the patch to use the wiimote with the new version of groovymame 0143, you can also patch with the original mame 0143, might give you some offset errors but they patched it and it works.

Greetings.

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #184 on: July 01, 2011, 12:27:22 pm »
Hello updated the patch to use the wiimote with the new version of groovymame 0143, you can also patch with the original mame 0143, might give you some offset errors but they patched it and it works.

Greetings.

Cool I will check this out, might have it as a separate patch along side the groovymame one, so things are easier to keep updated in the future with mame changes. 

Hopefully I get to the ISO in the next week, although I'm sort of waiting on Linux kernel 3.0 to come out first since I'd like to update it.  I have the newer kernel patch modified to work (3.0-rc5), but haven't tested it yet to make sure it's good.  Then I'll wait till 3.0 comes out probably, so can do the big upload all at the same time.
--
The Groovy Organization

gabe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #185 on: July 01, 2011, 02:15:18 pm »
Hopefully I get to the ISO in the next week, although I'm sort of waiting on Linux kernel 3.0 to come out first since I'd like to update it.  I have the newer kernel patch modified to work (3.0-rc5), but haven't tested it yet to make sure it's good.  Then I'll wait till 3.0 comes out probably, so can do the big upload all at the same time.

The Linux Foundation is projecting late July/early August for the 3.0 release.

On the topic of Linux, I have done the following:

• Applied your kernel patches
  • Applied your SDL patch
  • Applied the GroovyMame patches

Am I missing anything else?

I seem to recall reading in one of the threads that I needed patched ATI drivers to take advantage of lower dotclocks, but I can't seem to find any evidence of said patches while browsing GIT. 

As always, I appreciate your help.

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #186 on: July 01, 2011, 02:29:06 pm »

The Linux Foundation is projecting late July/early August for the 3.0 release.

On the topic of Linux, I have done the following:

• Applied your kernel patches
  • Applied your SDL patch
  • Applied the GroovyMame patches

Am I missing anything else?

I seem to recall reading in one of the threads that I needed patched ATI drivers to take advantage of lower dotclocks, but I can't seem to find any evidence of said patches while browsing GIT. 

As always, I appreciate your help.
There aren't patches needed anymore for the X Windows side of things, but does need some exact configuration options to turn off the default modelines and config must be setup to proper 'specs' (which are not very obvious) to which output on the video card is being used.  The one used on the ISO after configuring the monitor type, that should explain mostly I hope.  There's some picky stuff with X Windows in how it chooses which video output to do certain things on like modeline setup.

Also there are some radeon firmware files needed from /lib/firmware/radeon and the configuration in X Windows setup to use those and start the ati driver upon bootup in the kernel.  Also the kernel video= command like video=DVI-I-1:640x480ec (and specify the right video output connector, else it won't work, it forces it to not use EDID or detection, always on instead).  Also of course a newer X Windows. 

Well I guess I might just use the 3.0-rc5 for now if it tests alright.  The newer kernels changed where some of the code was in the diffs but applied pretty easily with doing some parts by hand.

There might be a few other things too I forgot, it's quite a complex but tiny little fixes here and there to push true 15khz support on most ATI cards.  So hopefully those can all be nailed down better in the future, mostly just hacked at the distribution while digging out the changes I had made to my original prototype system, haven't really had time to go through and test each one and recreate the system on another to prove out what all changes are necessary.  Probably the things above will get there, although after they are done there might yet be some other little thing I forgot, but should be able to figure that out at that point and hopefully can finally nail down the missing parts. 
--
The Groovy Organization

gabe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #187 on: July 01, 2011, 02:53:46 pm »
There aren't patches needed anymore for the X Windows side of things, but does need some exact configuration options to turn off the default modelines and config must be setup to proper 'specs' (which are not very obvious) to which output on the video card is being used.  The one used on the ISO after configuring the monitor type, that should explain mostly I hope.  There's some picky stuff with X Windows in how it chooses which video output to do certain things on like modeline setup.

Also there are some radeon firmware files needed from /lib/firmware/radeon and the configuration in X Windows setup to use those and start the ati driver upon bootup in the kernel.  Also the kernel video= command like video=DVI-I-1:640x480ec (and specify the right video output connector, else it won't work, it forces it to not use EDID or detection, always on instead).  Also of course a newer X Windows. 

Well I guess I might just use the 3.0-rc5 for now if it tests alright.  The newer kernels changed where some of the code was in the diffs but applied pretty easily with doing some parts by hand.

There might be a few other things too I forgot, it's quite a complex but tiny little fixes here and there to push true 15khz support on most ATI cards.  So hopefully those can all be nailed down better in the future, mostly just hacked at the distribution while digging out the changes I had made to my original prototype system, haven't really had time to go through and test each one and recreate the system on another to prove out what all changes are necessary.  Probably the things above will get there, although after they are done there might yet be some other little thing I forgot, but should be able to figure that out at that point and hopefully can finally nail down the missing parts. 
OK - I have done all of that, and ALMOST everything is working perfectly. The games that work, look absolutely incredible (Neo Geo games, Cave shmups, 1942, Shinobi etc)... But I have found many games which simply fail to load (Bad Dudes VS Dragon Ninja, Gradius, VS. Super Mario Brothers). With logging, I get something similar to this (from baddudes):

Parsing mame.ini
SwitchRes: Found output connector 'VGA-0'
SwitchRes: Monitor: cga Orientation: horizontal Aspect 4:3
SwitchRes v0.013: [baddudes.zip] (1) horizontal (256x240@57.39)->(256x240@57.39)->(256x240@57.39)
SwitchRes: # baddudes.zip 256x240@57.39 15.2663Khz
SwitchRes:      ModeLine          "256x240x57.39" 5.251606 256 272 296 344 240 244 247 266 -HSync -VSync
SwitchRes: Setting Option -redraw 0
SwitchRes: Setting Option -rotate
SwitchRes: Setting Option -nothrottle
SwitchRes: Setting Option -refreshspeed
SwitchRes: Setting Option -waitvsync
SwitchRes: Xrandr ADD VGA-0:    ModeLine          "256x240x57.39" 5.251606 256 272 296 344 240 244 247 266 -HSync -VSync
SwitchRes: Running 'xrandr  --newmode      "256x240x57.39" 5.251606 256 272 296 344 240 244 247 266 -HSync -VSync'
SwitchRes: Running 'xrandr  --addmode VGA-0 256x240x57.39'
SwitchRes: Setting Option -resolution 256x240x32@57.392092
Build version:      0.143 (Jun 29 2011)
Build architecure:  SDLMAME_ARCH=
Build defines 1:    SDLMAME_UNIX=1 SDLMAME_X11=1 SDLMAME_LINUX=1
Build defines 1:    LSB_FIRST=1 PTR64=1 DISTRO=generic SYNC_IMPLEMENTATION=tc
SDL/OpenGL defines: SDL_COMPILEDVERSION=1214 USE_OPENGL=1 USE_DISPATCH_GL=1
Compiler defines A: __GNUC__=4 __GNUC_MINOR__=6 __GNUC_PATCHLEVEL__=0 __VERSION__="4.6.0 20110603 (prerelease)"
Compiler defines B: __amd64__=1 __x86_64__=1 __unix__=1
Compiler defines C: __USE_FORTIFY_LEVEL=0
SDL Device Driver     : x11
SDL Monitor Dimensions: 640 x 480
Enter sdlwindow_init
Using SDL single-window OpenGL driver (SDL 1.2)
Leave sdlwindow_init
 640x 480 -> 0.001600
 304x 224 -> 0.000015
 288x 224 -> 0.000020
 256x 240 -> 2.000000
Loaded opengl shared library: <default>

I'm at a bit of a loss. I've tried several different config changes, (custom monitor_specs0, turning off modeline, changeres, etc.) If you have any ideas on where I should look next, I would be most grateful.

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #188 on: July 01, 2011, 03:01:00 pm »
There aren't patches needed anymore for the X Windows side of things, but does need some exact configuration options to turn off the default modelines and config must be setup to proper 'specs' (which are not very obvious) to which output on the video card is being used.  The one used on the ISO after configuring the monitor type, that should explain mostly I hope.  There's some picky stuff with X Windows in how it chooses which video output to do certain things on like modeline setup.

Also there are some radeon firmware files needed from /lib/firmware/radeon and the configuration in X Windows setup to use those and start the ati driver upon bootup in the kernel.  Also the kernel video= command like video=DVI-I-1:640x480ec (and specify the right video output connector, else it won't work, it forces it to not use EDID or detection, always on instead).  Also of course a newer X Windows.  

Well I guess I might just use the 3.0-rc5 for now if it tests alright.  The newer kernels changed where some of the code was in the diffs but applied pretty easily with doing some parts by hand.

There might be a few other things too I forgot, it's quite a complex but tiny little fixes here and there to push true 15khz support on most ATI cards.  So hopefully those can all be nailed down better in the future, mostly just hacked at the distribution while digging out the changes I had made to my original prototype system, haven't really had time to go through and test each one and recreate the system on another to prove out what all changes are necessary.  Probably the things above will get there, although after they are done there might yet be some other little thing I forgot, but should be able to figure that out at that point and hopefully can finally nail down the missing parts.  
OK - I have done all of that, and ALMOST everything is working perfectly. The games that work, look absolutely incredible (Neo Geo games, Cave shmups, 1942, Shinobi etc)... But I have found many games which simply fail to load (Bad Dudes VS Dragon Ninja, Gradius, VS. Super Mario Brothers). With logging, I get something similar to this (from baddudes):

Parsing mame.ini
SwitchRes: Found output connector 'VGA-0'
SwitchRes: Monitor: cga Orientation: horizontal Aspect 4:3
SwitchRes v0.013: [baddudes.zip] (1) horizontal (256x240@57.39)->(256x240@57.39)->(256x240@57.39)
SwitchRes: # baddudes.zip 256x240@57.39 15.2663Khz
SwitchRes:      ModeLine          "256x240x57.39" 5.251606 256 272 296 344 240 244 247 266 -HSync -VSync
SwitchRes: Setting Option -redraw 0
SwitchRes: Setting Option -rotate
SwitchRes: Setting Option -nothrottle
SwitchRes: Setting Option -refreshspeed
SwitchRes: Setting Option -waitvsync
SwitchRes: Xrandr ADD VGA-0:    ModeLine          "256x240x57.39" 5.251606 256 272 296 344 240 244 247 266 -HSync -VSync
SwitchRes: Running 'xrandr  --newmode      "256x240x57.39" 5.251606 256 272 296 344 240 244 247 266 -HSync -VSync'
SwitchRes: Running 'xrandr  --addmode VGA-0 256x240x57.39'
SwitchRes: Setting Option -resolution 256x240x32@57.392092
Build version:      0.143 (Jun 29 2011)
Build architecure:  SDLMAME_ARCH=
Build defines 1:    SDLMAME_UNIX=1 SDLMAME_X11=1 SDLMAME_LINUX=1
Build defines 1:    LSB_FIRST=1 PTR64=1 DISTRO=generic SYNC_IMPLEMENTATION=tc
SDL/OpenGL defines: SDL_COMPILEDVERSION=1214 USE_OPENGL=1 USE_DISPATCH_GL=1
Compiler defines A: __GNUC__=4 __GNUC_MINOR__=6 __GNUC_PATCHLEVEL__=0 __VERSION__="4.6.0 20110603 (prerelease)"
Compiler defines B: __amd64__=1 __x86_64__=1 __unix__=1
Compiler defines C: __USE_FORTIFY_LEVEL=0
SDL Device Driver     : x11
SDL Monitor Dimensions: 640 x 480
Enter sdlwindow_init
Using SDL single-window OpenGL driver (SDL 1.2)
Leave sdlwindow_init
 640x 480 -> 0.001600
 304x 224 -> 0.000015
 288x 224 -> 0.000020
 256x 240 -> 2.000000
Loaded opengl shared library: <default>

I'm at a bit of a loss. I've tried several different config changes, (custom monitor_specs0, turning off modeline, changeres, etc.) If you have any ideas on where I should look next, I would be most grateful.

Are the games just black screens, scrambled screens, or do they crash mame?  Looking at xrandr output might be interesting during the issue if possible.  It does look like there's some other modelines setup, which is odd, possibly it's crashing I'm guessing and leaving those setup without removing them.    

Are you using the Gallium version of OpenGL or classic, the classic one is necessary, just in case that's set to gallium.
--
The Groovy Organization

gabe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #189 on: July 01, 2011, 05:15:43 pm »
Are the games just black screens, scrambled screens, or do they crash mame?

They crash mame.

Looking at xrandr output might be interesting during the issue if possible.  It does look like there's some other modelines setup, which is odd, possibly it's crashing I'm guessing and leaving those setup without removing them.

I'd be happy to post the xrandr output while it's happening... But I don't know how to do so right at the moment.

Are you using the Gallium version of OpenGL or classic, the classic one is necessary, just in case that's set to gallium.

I found out that Gallium is enabled by default in Arch, so I just compiled ati-dri from git with --disable-gallium, but the problem persists. 

:badmood:

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #190 on: July 27, 2011, 10:14:24 am »
New ISO is out for Groovy Arcade Linux version 1.563-e6c97bb.

Changes included:
* Mame 143
* Linux 3.0 Kernel
* Improved wireless network config file (might help work with more wireless networks)
* Now have Multi Media and Desktop builds, so have all the bells and whistles available, lxde desktop, chromium browser etc.

Mostly just an upgrade to the kernel and mame, didn't have time for more than that for now.  The new GroovyMame forum TODO list I just created should be used to help organize ideas for the future when I have more time, can work out more rough edges that exist.
--
The Groovy Organization

dmarcum99

• Offline Offline
« Reply #191 on: July 28, 2011, 09:32:10 pm »
anyone having trouble using the new iso?  I downloaded the iso two different times and got the same errors booting from the cd-rom.  Here's a pic of the error:

EDIT:  the powernow k8 error eludes to the "cool-n-quiet" feature which I enabled...but doesn't help with the errors with the red exclamation marks...    and the liveCD boot process stops right there and doesn't continue  :cry:
EDIT#2:  I downloaded the 64-bit iso if it helps...and I also included another pic.  this is the info on the screen right before I get the red exclamation marks.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 11:17:53 am by dmarcum99 »

gabe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #192 on: July 29, 2011, 11:39:52 am »
It sounds like you have been messing around with BIOS settings? If so, have you confirmed that the old iso works with your new BIOS settings?

Complete shot in the dark here - but try loading the "fail safe defaults" in BIOS.

dmarcum99

• Offline Offline
Re: Re: 32/64bit Groovy Arcade Linux LiveCD/Install
« Reply #193 on: July 29, 2011, 03:11:54 pm »
I haven't messed with my BIOS settings outside of turning on the C-N-Q.....and ver. 1.560 live CD installed fine.

The squashfs error relates to the filesystem...I tried to read up on it but it was too techy for my soft brain.

Am I the only one who has tried the new ISO??  This will go a long way to determine if the error is specific to my setup.  Maybe I need to wipe the drive before I install...??  I had a brand new install of 1.560 when bitbytebit announced the new version...

EDIT:  I've read this could an issue with my DVD drive.  I'll post my findings after I get home and swap drives.
Sent from my EV Eris using Tapatalk

dmarcum99

• Offline Offline
« Reply #194 on: July 29, 2011, 08:26:06 pm »
I have exhausted all possibilities now.

I have loaded fail-safe defaults on mobo w/v1.563- no difference
I have loaded v 1.560 with the original dvd drive - v. 1.560 boots off cd no problem
I have loaded v 1.563 with the original dvd drive - v. 1.563 halts with the squashfs - invalid loop location error
I have loaded v 1.560 with new dvd drive -v. 1.560 boots off cd no problem
I have loaded v. 1.563 with new dvd drive 0 v. 1.563 halts with the squashfs - invalid loop location error

I'll try to download the iso again...but at 35K download speeds it takes 6 hours to download   :angry:  

EDIT: just downloaded 32-bit version....NO DICE....same result.
re-downloaded 64-bit version for the 3rd time....same result.
FRUSTRATED....I took the 64-bit CD to another PC in my house....THE DANG THING WORKS!!!????????   :dizzy:
What could be doing this to my cab??  My mobo has a AMD 785G chipset and I'm using an AUSUS ATI 4350 (outside of the dvd drive swap, my hardware hasn't changed)

Help me Obi-Wan (bitbytebit) youre my only hope!!   :timebomb:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 05:56:10 am by dmarcum99 »

Quinny

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 08, 2014, 07:52:07 am
« Reply #195 on: July 30, 2011, 03:58:39 am »
I am not ready to download the new ISO at the moment (does this work with USB sticks or only a CD/DVD?) but thanks for testing it out dmarcum99. I am interested to see the results.

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #196 on: July 31, 2011, 10:57:35 pm »
I have exhausted all possibilities now.

I have loaded fail-safe defaults on mobo w/v1.563- no difference
I have loaded v 1.560 with the original dvd drive - v. 1.560 boots off cd no problem
I have loaded v 1.563 with the original dvd drive - v. 1.563 halts with the squashfs - invalid loop location error
I have loaded v 1.560 with new dvd drive -v. 1.560 boots off cd no problem
I have loaded v. 1.563 with new dvd drive 0 v. 1.563 halts with the squashfs - invalid loop location error

I'll try to download the iso again...but at 35K download speeds it takes 6 hours to download   :angry:  

EDIT: just downloaded 32-bit version....NO DICE....same result.
re-downloaded 64-bit version for the 3rd time....same result.
FRUSTRATED....I took the 64-bit CD to another PC in my house....THE DANG THING WORKS!!!????????   :dizzy:
What could be doing this to my cab??  My mobo has a AMD 785G chipset and I'm using an AUSUS ATI 4350 (outside of the dvd drive swap, my hardware hasn't changed)

Help me Obi-Wan (bitbytebit) youre my only hope!!   :timebomb:
It seems like the dvd/cd drive that you have isn't working with the newest kernel, which is strange.  I'm not sure if it's possibly a side effect of something going wrong with it from the 3.0.0 vs. 2.6 version jump (scripts that thought of 2.7 as being the next kernel, most of them, have to be rewritten).  I fixed what I think fully fixes that, but there could be other ones possibly.  There might be something in the config that changed, and didn't get configured in to support that dvd drive.  What model is it, what does 'lspci -v' output show on the other older iso?  Also possibly the dmesg from the older in /var/log/dmesg.  Is there anything bus wise in how it hooks up different than the one that works?
--
The Groovy Organization

dmarcum99

• Offline Offline
« Reply #197 on: August 01, 2011, 12:53:31 am »
Thanks for the help bitbytebit!

The original DVD drive in my cab:  Hitachi/LG GSA-H40N (IDE drive)
I replaced this drive with:  Toshiba/Samsung TS-H353 (SATA drive)  
**on both of these drives v. 1.560 works....1.563 failed (both 32&64-bit)**

I just assumed since I tried 2 different drives without success it had to be something with my motherboard chipset (AMD 785G)

When I took the CD to my living room PC, it booted successfully.  This drive is:  LG GSA-H20L (IDE drive)

I'm attaching txt files of the lspci-v & dmesg you were asking about.

**EDIT**  the lspci-v txt file may have duplicated info.  I typed the command twice and when I copied the output I may have grabbed both outputs. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 01:04:14 am by dmarcum99 »

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #198 on: August 01, 2011, 09:58:54 am »
Thanks for the help bitbytebit!

The original DVD drive in my cab:  Hitachi/LG GSA-H40N (IDE drive)
I replaced this drive with:  Toshiba/Samsung TS-H353 (SATA drive)  
**on both of these drives v. 1.560 works....1.563 failed (both 32&64-bit)**

I just assumed since I tried 2 different drives without success it had to be something with my motherboard chipset (AMD 785G)

When I took the CD to my living room PC, it booted successfully.  This drive is:  LG GSA-H20L (IDE drive)

I'm attaching txt files of the lspci-v & dmesg you were asking about.

**EDIT**  the lspci-v txt file may have duplicated info.  I typed the command twice and when I copied the output I may have grabbed both outputs. 

Also get the output of /var/log/messages and the output of running the command `dmesg > out.log` too.  Those might get closer to when the cd drive is loaded, and also possibly the output of `lsmod > lsmod.log` which should show which modules are being used.  Also you might want to try these on the live cd that fails, just to see what output you get, if it detects the cd drive there and possibly what errors occur.  The dmesg command output there might be the most interesting to see.
--
The Groovy Organization

dmarcum99

• Offline Offline
« Reply #199 on: August 01, 2011, 12:29:37 pm »
I zipped the log folder so you can take a look.

I also attached the out.log (out.txt) and the lsmod.log (lsmod.txt) but I'm not sure how much good they'll do.  I remoted in from work to my pc and remoted in to the cab to run the commands, but I forgot I don't have any DVD drive attached to the cab right now.    :banghead:

I'm not sure I can run any commands using the 1.563 iso.  I'm not at the cab right now (work) but the boot process stops at the red exclamation marks indicating invalid loop location.  It appears that a cursor appears so I sould type commands, but the keyboard doesn't function and it appears to hang (lock-up) right there.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 12:32:09 pm by dmarcum99 »