Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Recommend A Good Graphics Card for CRT TV?  (Read 7387 times)

DrakeTungsten

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2022, 06:36:45 pm
  • I effed with the wrong person!
    • No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP
Recommend A Good Graphics Card for CRT TV?
« on: January 07, 2017, 10:25:57 am »
I tried setting up MAME about ten years ago in Linux for my cab. One of the reasons I gave up and went with Windows was because I tried a couple different graphics cards and couldn't get them to work well with my CRT TV under Linux. IIRC, one major problem was that when the display was working, everything still had a red or blue tint which I couldn't correct. I really want to ditch Windows, and graphics cards don't appear to be an issue stopping anybody else from using Linux, so I'm having another go at it. Are there any graphics cards with S-Video and RGB output which work especially well with Linux these days, and won't have a problem going to 640*480? It's going to be at least four months before I replace my arcade PC (it might even be next year), so even if you run across this post in the distant future (well, not too distant) but still have something to say about this question, please respond.   
No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 07:26:06 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Recommend A Good Graphics Card for CRT TV?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 12:43:30 pm »
any nvidia card using nvidia drivers with component out should work under linux.
I have a 7600 gt and 9400 gt i've used on linux on a 20" TV with component in.
You just need the cable.

maybe newer card will work like 8400's and they are dirt cheap.

just have to see what official drivers your distro of choice supports and match it up to the cards on ebay.

elvis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2023, 05:31:03 pm
  • penguin poker
    • StickFreaks
Re: Recommend A Good Graphics Card for CRT TV?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 04:53:03 am »
One of the nvidia devs does a good job of maintaining a list of drivers for both current and legacy Nvidia cards:
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/533434/linux/current-graphics-driver-releases/

As X continues to be developed, and as kernels get newer, older drivers need to be ported to these, or else they stop working on newer hardware.  Despite needing proprietary drivers, which is normally a pain, for TV-out Nvidia's proprietary drivers and tools are the best for x86.  For something like emulation purposes, you should be able to find a second hand card pretty cheap.  Just check your distro/X/kernel plus card combo is supported by the drivers above, and all should be well.