Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: WTF Tron is expensive  (Read 7260 times)

pinballwizard79

• The above mentioned items do not expel strawberries & pretty girls
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2014, 09:18:00 pm
  • I sleep by my arcade every Friday
Re: WTF Tron is expensive
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2010, 12:37:43 am »
Fun fact

Scully's ex husband produced that show (reboot)

That is all

"George Bush doesn't care about arcade people"

My FrankenPanel: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=110312.0

My Game Room: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=81323.0

ErikRuud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2021, 10:20:27 am
  • I'll build a cab for only 99.99.99!!!
    • Erik's humble video game page
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2010, 09:06:58 am »
Interesting.

I am just glad they are finally releasing the entire series on DVD soon.
Real Life.  Still a poor substitute for video games!       
American Laser Games Wrapper
O2em Rom Utility

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2010, 09:49:13 am »
Reboot was actually a pretty good show.  Lots of Easter eggs and references to other shows and movies, like the 11 on Megabytes guitar.

It might be, but I guess I am never going to give it a fair shot. It looks like it is from that era where they made everything possible using CGI, even if it looks like it was made by a high school student using poser. There was so much horrible CGI in those days that it is easily the biggest turn off that have when it comes to film and movies. I'm pretty sure that if they game this show the budget and time they give to decent hand drawn animations, it would already be much more enjoyable.

ErikRuud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2021, 10:20:27 am
  • I'll build a cab for only 99.99.99!!!
    • Erik's humble video game page
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2010, 10:01:52 am »
Reboot came out in 1994.  It was the first television series that was entirely CGI. 

The clip I posted was from the first season.  If you look at different episodes from different seasons, you will see that they made huge progress from season to season.

Real Life.  Still a poor substitute for video games!       
American Laser Games Wrapper
O2em Rom Utility

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2010, 05:07:47 am »
Oh, I think the drawn animation in Tron blew chunks. It really contrasted with the CGI. Reboot was great. It didn't try to look like reality, but instead had its own.
-Banned-

Blanka

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2018, 03:19:28 pm
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2010, 03:33:22 am »
I just devaluated my valuable item by removing the shrink wrap. I could have put my 19 pund find on ebay for 100$, but instead I watched it.
OMG what a cool graphics, and OMG what a dumb storyline! The original can't be beaten on graphics! I guess Tron legacy looks ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- next to this. And the original can't be beaten on a dumb kiss-the-chick-in-the-end plot. Wonder how Disney supersedes this in Legacy. It is almost like a Bollywood movie in plot simpleness.
Warning: watch the movie in Finnish or Klingon dub or something. Or leave the sound muted (the music theme at the end with church organs stinks too). The sentences the characters say are totally nonsense. Listening to what they have to say is totally annoying. I hope Daft Punk kills all conversation in Legacy with some serious beats.

Conclusion: TRON is the second coolest mute movie I have ever seen. Number one is Seven Chances with Buster Keaton. That one contains the blueprints to all classic arcade games.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 03:36:02 am by Blanka »

Ed_McCarron

• Nothing worse than Picard issuing the self destruct order and the next thing you know it your apartment blows up.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2022, 02:33:39 pm
  • Get your mind out of the gutter. THIS is a dongle.
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2010, 10:22:44 pm »
Tron was made in a time when only the wealthy had computers and only MIT grads had more than rudimentary knowledge of how a pc actually works

Bwuh?  Are we talking about the same movie?  Tron was made in 1982... I had a $250 VIC-20 in 1982 -- And I was a piss-poor 10 year old with slightly more than a rudimentary knowledge of how it worked.
But wasn't it fun to think you won the lottery, just for a second there???

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2010, 02:47:47 pm »
Timex Sinclair: $99  ;D

So I caught Tron on standard def tv last night. I enjoyed it more as an adult than I did originally. It's got lots of flaws, but some of them are typical of an early 80's movie (like making actors wear obviously fake glasses just to make them appear smart, or how about the fact that a computer work station is placed directly in front of an ultra high-powered laser??)

I got the impression that since the film was such a risk, their budget must have been very limited and they made the best they could of it.  Why are the composited shots so crap? THey look like silent era black & white. And before you say "it was 1982!" keep in mind everything that Star Wars, Star Trek the Motion Picture, etc accomplished using compositing, green screen, etc years before.
NO MORE!!

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2010, 12:47:25 am »
More than likely it was because of the glow effect.  To add it, may have caused problems with mixing, and or would have needed a lot more money for a more robust solution to get rid of the problems.

Ed_McCarron

• Nothing worse than Picard issuing the self destruct order and the next thing you know it your apartment blows up.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2022, 02:33:39 pm
  • Get your mind out of the gutter. THIS is a dongle.
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2010, 08:37:57 am »
More than likely it was because of the glow effect. 

IIRC, the glowing in the original Tron was rotoscoped in -- hand drawn by animators, frame by frame.  Tough to keep consistent.
But wasn't it fun to think you won the lottery, just for a second there???

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2010, 03:29:56 pm »
To make the composite shots, they used black and white film to create high contrast imagery. They blew up negatives of the cells and filtered them to make an "outline" style image. This gave the blueprints for animators to hand draw all the glow effects

I honestly feel the imperfections give the movie more feel. Almost like the computer world was trying to render the programs visually but fell short due to technological limitations.

Here are a couple links on tron if you care for the read. One is on the animation process, the other is on the CGI.

http://www.cyberroach.com/tron/tron.htm

http://design.osu.edu/carlson/history/tron.html

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2010, 08:24:18 pm »
The glow was hand-drawn stuff?  Well, I still think that is cool. It's the other stuff that wasn't good. There was an anniversary edition I saw earlier this year or something that had a 'how they made it' clip, and told how it was all done.
-Banned-