Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: -VENDOR- GroovyGameGear.com - Latest updates to our catalog  (Read 144933 times)

jimmer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 06:03:11 pm
  • I want to play Defender like at the arcade.
Re: -VENDOR- GroovyGameGear.com - Latest updates to our catalog
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2013, 10:55:20 am »
Yes it's a lot of modification, but still easier than building from scratch.

I can turn a new actuator, and drill and tap the shaft to hold it on.

It would be nice to know the dimensions of the current actuator and shaft so i can work out if I can make an actuator that works.
Does your shaft extend approx 10mm below the leafs like this one?

On forums jimmer speaks for himself as a Defender fan, not as proprietor of www.jbgaming.co.uk  << Is that advertising or disclosure ? or both ?

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2013, 09:25:19 pm »
Any word on the white CLASSX?

jimmer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2013, 12:04:27 pm »
hmmm scratch my previous scheme, the leaf-pro looks like it will work for Defender as is (minus a bit of plastic). Definitely OK for a short button in a wood panel like I use, long button may work depending on exact stick dimensions.

And my experiment with my 2way leaf switch zippyy has confirmed the expected benefit of leaf switch joystick. 

So, when are you expecting stock again? 

Also, you said the stick is short by default. Is there then a longer option? How much longer?

On forums jimmer speaks for himself as a Defender fan, not as proprietor of www.jbgaming.co.uk  << Is that advertising or disclosure ? or both ?

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2013, 12:44:39 pm »
Any word on the white CLASSX?

These actually should have been here by now.  I will be checking again today.

hmmm scratch my previous scheme, the leaf-pro looks like it will work for Defender as is (minus a bit of plastic). Definitely OK for a short button in a wood panel like I use, long button may work depending on exact stick dimensions.

So, when are you expecting stock again? 

Also, you said the stick is short by default. Is there then a longer option? How much longer?

That's actually what I had in mind with my first post on the subject.  The Leaf-Pro doesn't use the plastic parts, so immediate actuation, with very little resistance is simple to achieve.   Unfortunately (?), we have had a high demand for these lately, including from installers/resellers who cleaned us out of stock.  We have a decent quantity on order, but it looks like they are going to be about 2 weeks out.

Currently, the only shaft for these is the short one.  While a longer one can be made, it would likely create unreasonable stress on the assembly, due to the increased leverage which could be applied with it.

RandyT

jimmer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2013, 06:25:04 pm »
I'm not in a hurry so a few weeks wait is no problem.

What do the restrictors look like for 8way and 4way?
Is it an upstanding part like on the dimension diagram I posted?

I will probably do my own thing anyway to build 2way/4way switchable restriction into the panel.

jimmer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2013, 06:30:30 pm »
Also, something to think about: if you replace the centre block in the leaf sandwich with a medium rubber the switch becomes precisely tunable with a screwdriver rather than pliers.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2013, 10:27:14 am »
Also, something to think about: if you replace the centre block in the leaf sandwich with a medium rubber the switch becomes precisely tunable with a screwdriver rather than pliers.

This really isn't a good solution.  The leaves of the switch have a small amount of lateral play, which allows for precise positioning of the contact points.  Once adjusted, and tightened, the alignment is held.  With any sort of flexible material in the stack, it will be impossible to hold this alignment properly.

wp34

• Offline Offline
-VENDOR- GroovyGameGear.com - Latest updates to our catalog
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2013, 10:49:37 am »
Thanks for the update Randy.

Sent from my Atari 800 mobile device using Tapatalk

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:27:26 pm
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2013, 06:23:33 pm »
When do you anticipate the restocking of Leaf-Pro joysticks?

good day.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2013, 01:48:56 am »
When do you anticipate the restocking of Leaf-Pro joysticks?

More in stock now!

And speaking of "in stock", thanks to the prodding from a few good folks, we have decided to once again offer the classic GP-Wiz49™ Interface with the Digital Restrictor Selection Technology™ we pioneered.  It's now based on our new board design, and we have updated the documentation for it (but not the photos yet...it looks like the GP-Wiz PCBs.)  If anyone has either style of the classic 49-ways, you are fortunate, as they are, IMHO, the best feeling and performing sticks out there.  The GP-Wiz49 with DRS, makes them great for arcade gaming.  I have all options available to me and I use them on my setup.  That says something.

Unfortunately, the new ones being sold by HAPP are expensive and suffer from a grommet issue (wrong kind of rubber) which makes them mostly unsuitable for use with the GP-Wiz49, due to slow/poor centering.  It's correctable, but that drives the cost further.  I have a stash of high-end units, modified with proper natural-rubber grommets, stainless shafts and Hand-Candy balltops.  They are the "Mercedes" of joysticks, and they are pricey.  But if anyone is interested, let me know and I'll try to figure out what I need to let them go for.

RandyT

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:55:58 pm
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2013, 04:39:24 am »
Im interested!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

darkSSide

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 08:19:48 pm
  • I want to make my own money!
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2013, 01:55:36 pm »
What happened to the True4way? And can you change out the ball on the Leaf Pro or True4way?

KevinFlynn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 11:10:15 am
  • Greetings Programs!
« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2013, 09:30:48 am »
Randy,
Is there a problem with the GGG question submission form on the website? I submitted a question 2 months ago, another about a month ago and one more last Friday but have never received a response. I even had a friend send one but to no avail.

First, I want to make sure the Turbo Twist 2 spinner will fit in the control board on my cab. What is the measurement of the spinner below the board...how far does it hang down?
Thanks!
One quarter at a time...

benll64

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2020, 09:40:31 pm
« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2013, 09:46:21 am »
I've had the same problem lately. RandyT is usually very responsive, so I'm not sure what's up.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2013, 11:45:34 am »
Sometimes, E-mail is not as reliable as people assume it to be.  In the past, I have responded to folks, only to find that they ask the same questions a couple of days later, while lamenting a lack of response.  I have also heard complaints about no answers when emails are not received by us at all, as well as spent much time composing emails to people who give me non-functional return addresses, either due to typos in the address, or simply non-functional accounts.  Things like this are bad for all involved.

Sometimes the problem is with our provider, and is usually very temporary.  Other times, it is due to a flaky email service being used by the sender.  Hotmail is terrible.  For some reason, our emails to this address have the poorest chances of being received, without us even knowing until the complaints come in.

The other thing to keep in mind is that we are a small company.  There are no dedicated staff to perform these peripheral functions and our highest priorities are to get parts to folks who order, and to help resolve issues on the rare occasions when they occur.  Technical support and pre-sales inquiries are next, and folks who ask very general questions, sometimes not even related specifically to our products, are a little lower on the priorities list.

That being said, I try to answer all emails we receive.  How quickly that happens is unfortunately based on our current order load, the number of inquiries we received that day (usually many) and the nature of the inquiry.  As many can attest, It's not uncommon for a someone who sends us an e-mail at 3 am our time on a weekend to receive a response within a few minutes, but that's not something which I can always do.

If you don't receive a response,  make sure that the return address provided is correct.  Also, be persistent, in case there is a temporary issue somewhere.  If that doesn't work, try sending from a different e-mail service.  But above all, please try to make questions specific enough, and with enough information for me to actually answer the questions being asked.  This includes the order number (where applicable) so I can see what parts were ordered to help determine what is tripping up the user.  Questions which have simple answers, but require multiple emails to figure things out, are a time drain which isn't fair to others who are waiting.

In the case of Flynn's query, while it may have been sent on Friday, this is when the email actually made it to our server;

Sun, 12 May 2013 09:11:19

which is Sunday morning, the day we traveled 4 hours south to visit parents on Mother's Day :).  And I'm not picking on Flynn, but that is the only e-mail we have received from that address.

Which is one more thing to keep in mind;  Don't assume that emails are transmitted instantaneously.  There can be many relay points, spam filters, etc.  between your servers and ours, and any glitch, overloaded server, etc. in-between can cause these delays, or even lack of receipt on our end.  Due to the holiday weekend, it's not much of a leap to assume that the internet's mail systems got bogged down with more e-mailed greeting card and large photo attachments than usual.

This went long, but hopefully this will provide some insight into the issues we deal with daily and help folks to better get the answers they need.

RandyT

« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 01:41:42 pm by RandyT »

jrose78

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2015, 10:52:58 am
« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2013, 01:44:20 pm »
and you wonder why it takes so long to respond. Just look at the size of that reply  ;D .

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2013, 01:54:27 pm »
Trust me, that's not nearly typical for an email reply.  But I have learned over time that to not cover something in either an e-mail, or informational post such as that one, usually leads to a second, third, fourth, etc...

There are no shortcuts. :)

darkSSide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2013, 02:07:01 pm »
And the answer to my questions about 4 posts before?::)

Sent from my Atari 2600

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2013, 02:16:52 pm »
And the answer to my questions about 4 posts before?::)

Sent from my Atari 2600

No longer being produced (it's absence from the catalog indicates this).  And no, it cannot.  Any sticks in our catalog which have removable tops, also have options on our site for alternatives.

darkSSide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2013, 02:40:42 pm »
Thanx for the response. Might I suggest you removing the True 4way from the first page on this thread,unless they will be available later on?

Sent from my Atari 2600

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2013, 02:51:01 pm »
Thanx for the response. Might I suggest you removing the True 4way from the first page on this thread,unless they will be available later on?

Done.  Thank you for pointing that out.  We did find a small cache of these when they went discontinued previously, but the factory has halted production.  It's too bad too, as they were a nicely built unit, and a great foundation for building upon.

KevinFlynn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 11:10:15 am
  • Greetings Programs!
« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2013, 03:21:52 pm »
And I'm not picking on Flynn, but that is the only e-mail we have received from that address.

Yes, I was asking for a friend who had, again, not received a response on several emails...But no worries.  As a business owner of over 15 years, I completely respect what you do for your customers on all levels.  Personally, I'm sorry you have so many problems with emails...I'm sure that's frustrating.

After spending coutless hours building my cab from the ground up, after spending endless hours configuring my emulators to work with Hyperspin  :banghead: and after having to send back several items I ordered over the last year due to ordering the wrong thing, I can say, Randy, you represent the experts.  Without your help, us Noobs would have one heck of a time and, if you're me, would probably give up or end up going postal. 
So I personally have the upmost respect for you and I'd like to give you a great big 'shout out'  :applaud: because it's through your help that a LOT of stuff comes together.

SO -- please have some patience with us, the serious ones who do benefit from your help and products.  You're awesome!
One quarter at a time...

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2013, 04:25:55 pm »
Thank you.  Glad to help.

happyfunball

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 11, 2015, 07:49:39 pm
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2013, 10:19:15 am »
any chance the white leaf switch buttons will be back in stock sometime soon?

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2013, 10:45:24 am »

I am also curious.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2013, 11:04:03 am »

I sent off an inquiry to the factory earlier this morning.  These should have been done several weeks ago, but I'm guessing they never produced them (about par for the course with that company...if my molds weren't made to be mated to their setup, I would have moved on).  Fortunately, they make nice parts when they do decide to make them.

I also inquired about our tooling for a convex version of those buttons, which they have indicated is nearing completion.  We should be seeing samples of this soon as well, but it's hard to tell with these folks.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2013, 07:43:19 pm »
I've been kicking around the idea of offering a simple CNC service and am looking for opinions.  While I might consider something more in the future, I think this is all I have time for at the moment.

What are the thoughts on custom, unfinished MDF, control panel tops (i.e. just the 3/4" top panel), any size up to 12" wide and 26" long for $34.95+shipping?  You supply the DXF file, along with depth information for any pockets,  and you get a panel top made on our CNC to those specs.  With the customer's permission, we could also add the design to a library of designs for others to choose from as well.

Should I bother to offer this service?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 07:45:23 pm by RandyT »

darkSSide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2013, 07:48:20 pm »
Sounds like a great idea!

Sent from my Atari 2600

happyfunball

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2013, 09:09:57 am »
I would totally do that.

lordnacho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2023, 07:38:14 pm
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2013, 09:48:55 am »
Plexi?

happyfunball

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2013, 03:30:34 pm »
although woudl this be a customer support nightmare? how many people know how to set up CAD files for CNC?
I've been a 3d modeler for 20 years, I used Autocad for a long time, but that was many years ago, and even I'm not exactly sure how simple a process it would be. I assume basically a vector outline of the cuts and some way to flag depth?

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #111 on: May 17, 2013, 02:13:41 pm »
Plexi?

That could be a possibility down the road.   But flame polishing and finishing would be up to the user.

I assume basically a vector outline of the cuts and some way to flag depth?

Doesn't have to be anything too crazy for 2.5D machining.  Just about any modern vector program can export to a decent DXF (R12 is the best version for compatibility)  Corel X4 and prior is also fine.  Could use colors and a simple legend to flag depths.  But obviously, aside from anything that is outright screwy in the drawing, it would just be cut as provided.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 11:51:59 pm by RandyT »

ramos8414

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2019, 08:27:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2013, 09:38:47 pm »
Can I mount the Leaf pro 4 way on a wood panel?

happyfunball

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2013, 12:20:04 pm »
Can I mount the Leaf pro 4 way on a wood panel?

if you mean this one:

http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=365

yes. I have 3 of these and they install just fine on a wood panel. I have it screwed in from the bottom so you dont' even have any hardware showing.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #114 on: May 24, 2013, 12:48:55 pm »
A 12mm thick or less panel should be ok.  3/4 and you will want to recess the underside, or top mount, unless you like a very short shaft protrusion.

In reality, there's no stick which can't be mounted in a wood panel.  It all hinges on the methodology.

cavepainter

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2017, 08:40:19 pm
« Reply #115 on: June 02, 2013, 04:31:32 pm »
Any word on NovaGems, NovaGem 2s, or Electric Ice 2s being back in stock?

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #116 on: June 02, 2013, 05:56:45 pm »
Any word on NovaGems, NovaGem 2s, or Electric Ice 2s being back in stock?

All colors NovaGem2's are in stock...  email me if you need some.  I had hoped to get these on the store by now, but I can't seem to catch a break with the recent order volume and all of the projects I have been working on.

We are going through inventory to see if we actually have any EI2's left, while we wait for more from the factory.  I will press them to try to get some more soon.

hyper x

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 10:26:04 pm
  • I built my own Arcade Controls
« Reply #117 on: June 03, 2013, 11:40:15 am »
Hi Randy,

Just placed my 3rd order and wanted to say thanks for the last minute add on the second order.

Also was wondering if you ever will get transparent purple chromolites or novagems to order?
Saw a youtube video of purple novagems but can't seem to find anyone that carry purple led buttons minus rgb controllers.

I have a one color setup per player and have no need for rgb leds.

Thanks again.

Mike

tron84

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2017, 06:45:56 am
« Reply #118 on: June 03, 2013, 12:20:56 pm »
I've been kicking around the idea of offering a simple CNC service and am looking for opinions.  While I might consider something more in the future, I think this is all I have time for at the moment.

What are the thoughts on custom, unfinished MDF, control panel tops (i.e. just the 3/4" top panel), any size up to 12" wide and 26" long for $34.95+shipping?  You supply the DXF file, along with depth information for any pockets,  and you get a panel top made on our CNC to those specs.  With the customer's permission, we could also add the design to a library of designs for others to choose from as well.

Should I bother to offer this service?

I think that would be great to offer Randy. I think it would do well at GGG.
I was the person who ordered last night & sent an email also saying that would be a great item to have at GGG :)
I also asked on the 49way.  I know you are a busy person man.  Just when ever you can let me know .
Thanks again Randy.
Your products & service is always top notch.....

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #119 on: June 04, 2013, 12:52:36 am »

I think that would be great to offer Randy. I think it would do well at GGG.
I was the person who ordered last night & sent an email also saying that would be a great item to have at GGG :)
I also asked on the 49way.  I know you are a busy person man.  Just when ever you can let me know .
Thanks again Randy.
Your products & service is always top notch.....

Thanks for the kind words.  Please do me a favor and resend your email.  I don't see any in my inbox which make reference to those items.

On the control panel service project, I spent the last few days installing breaker boxes, a variable frequency drive and a 220v 5HP (real) Colombo spindle on, and making modifications to, my 4x8 router table.  What a difference compared to the 110v 3.5HP(fake) Milwaukee router body.  Once I get some free time, I will be doing some cutting tests to make sure things are tuned in, and we'll take it from there.  Should be able to cut faster, cleaner and be easier on the bits.  I have high hopes :)

Thanks again for the feedback.