Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Space Invaders - Done  (Read 24942 times)

RetroACTIVE

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 04:27:52 pm
  • Gramps
Space Invaders - Done
« on: November 03, 2010, 05:13:01 pm »
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 10:16:30 am by RetroACTIVE »
Happy Gaming!

saleem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2012, 08:03:39 am
Re: Coming Soon...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 09:44:31 pm »
midway space invaders upright i presume?
:)

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 10:41:16 pm »
midway space invaders upright i presume?
:)

Yes sir!
Happy Gaming!

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 08:51:55 am »
Nice!  I'd love to find a cab to restore.  Should end up really nice with a new stencil paint job.
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 09:22:40 am »
Yeah I'm excited about this one!

On a side note, I got lucky with that color match in oil... apparently new environmental laws in Maryland have pretty much outlawed most oil based finishes.  You can still get the basic stuff in quarts at most hardware stores but you can no longer get custom colors in any oil based enamel finish.   Talked with the guys at Sherwin Williams, West Virginia doesn't have this law so if push comes to shove I can pop over the border.  Apparently Maryland is about 1 year behind California and real soon there will be an all out ban on the stuff all together!

« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 09:25:19 am by RetroACTIVE »
Happy Gaming!

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 10:09:27 am »
Ahh! Space Invaders! Can't wait to see more!  :cheers:

Sorry to hear that Maryland seems to have nothing better to do than outlaw paint. I hope Bob Vila was outside the state capitol protesting that one.  :P  On the upside, there may be a career to be made in paint trafficking.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 12:58:43 am »
Yeah I'm excited about this one!

On a side note, I got lucky with that color match in oil... apparently new environmental laws in Maryland have pretty much outlawed most oil based finishes.  You can still get the basic stuff in quarts at most hardware stores but you can no longer get custom colors in any oil based enamel finish.   Talked with the guys at Sherwin Williams, West Virginia doesn't have this law so if push comes to shove I can pop over the border.  Apparently Maryland is about 1 year behind California and real soon there will be an all out ban on the stuff all together!

Slight thread hijack.....

What?! I haven't really been paying much attention to oil paints. Focusing more trying to keep the outside of the "new" house in one piece by using Copper Clear (by Jasco and a ---smurfette--- to find) Copper Green (almost as hard to find in the 10% formulation) and CPES (mail order only). Then keeping the kids from destroying the inside of the house. Before this house, I rented for ten years so I didn't give a rats ass about what paint was on the outside of the house and, apparently, neither did my landlord, having never painted my rental in the entire ten years I lived there.

But I digress, living in California and the difficulty in finding specialized chemicals recently (MEKP anyone?) this doesn't surprise me.

In a nutshell, this is the first I've heard of it, and I live in this hell hole of a state. So I did a seach and there wasn't a lot to be found but it did cite a few sources.

So let's see. Paint a house once an average of every ten years with oil paints or paint the same house every er... year or two with latex? And that's supposed to save the environment? WTF? In what way?

Can any paint experts enlighten me on the subject? Latex paints serve a nice role, but they don't strike me as very viable as outside paints and their erm... qualities (for lack of a better word) are different enough that there are instances where I would rather use oil (eg restoring cabs).
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 01:19:06 am by SavannahLion »

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 09:15:58 am »
Slight thread hijack.....

What?! I haven't really been paying much attention to oil paints. Focusing more trying to keep the outside of the "new" house in one piece by using Copper Clear (by Jasco and a ---smurfette--- to find) Copper Green (almost as hard to find in the 10% formulation) and CPES (mail order only). Then keeping the kids from destroying the inside of the house. Before this house, I rented for ten years so I didn't give a rats ass about what paint was on the outside of the house and, apparently, neither did my landlord, having never painted my rental in the entire ten years I lived there.

But I digress, living in California and the difficulty in finding specialized chemicals recently (MEKP anyone?) this doesn't surprise me.

In a nutshell, this is the first I've heard of it, and I live in this hell hole of a state. So I did a seach and there wasn't a lot to be found but it did cite a few sources.

So let's see. Paint a house once an average of every ten years with oil paints or paint the same house every er... year or two with latex? And that's supposed to save the environment? WTF? In what way?

Can any paint experts enlighten me on the subject? Latex paints serve a nice role, but they don't strike me as very viable as outside paints and their erm... qualities (for lack of a better word) are different enough that there are instances where I would rather use oil (eg restoring cabs).

The environmental impact is due to the VOCs the paint puts out when it dries, not to mention the solvents needed for clean up... as far as the level of environmental impact all of the oil based paint that is/was being used ... I have no idea... I know I always feel a smidgen guilty when messing with the stuff.

From what I've been told... (now granted this was by the two folks at Sherwin Williams... I wouldn't call them definitive experts by any means...) is that the law really applies more heavily to contractors.  Contractors cannot purchase or use the stuff and if they get caught the fines are horrendous.   With that, Harry Home Owner can still do whatever they want, they can paint with oil based paints until their blue in the face... however, since contractors are not allowed to purchase/use it, the demand is diminished such that its just not worth it for these companies to bother (in those states where the law applies).  Its also easier if they don't carry it they don't need to worry about breaking the law by selling it.  In the mean time, they are heavily developing their forms of latex to be "at par or better than oil"... so they say... to give contractors who prefer to use oil an option.  For now, if folks want to go to other states to purchase custom color matched oils to paint their homes they are perfectly in their right and within the law to do so.

Just sucks for us who want custom oil tints for small projects... but in all fairness, latex paint has come a really really long way and although I've been apprehensive about making the switch to it, it would probably do just fine.  I'm just not quite ready to change my methods just yet.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 09:46:10 am by RetroACTIVE »
Happy Gaming!

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 10:59:15 am »

Hey SavannahLion,

I hear you! It is a really lame, lame law. Thankfully, I live in a state that has not banned oil paint....yet. I have a house with coated mineral board siding, latex wont even last more than a year on it. Not to mention that I do some detail painting work, and you will never get latex paint to work on detailed surfaces, it will just clog and fill the pores. I understand that oil paint takes precautions, but we don't need to be nannied and told we can't use oil paint "for our own good".

I did a little research on my own. Oil paint is considered hazardous because the solvent contains oils that are considered to produce Volatile Organic Compounds, or VOC's. That's the stuff that makes the nasty vapors when drying. Now, I understand banning lead paint, but to ban a very useful product because it uses a naturally occuring, organic compound sounded a bit bizzarre. I wanted to put things into perspective. Here are some quick and dirty numbers I calculated to determine how much of a hazard these VOC's are.

There is an estimated 80,000,000 gallons of paint used in the US each year.
16% of paint sold each year is oil based. (Some VOC producing others low VOC producing, but states ban them both).
That makes 12,800,000 gallons of oil paint used every year. (80,000,000 X 16%)

I estimated that a gallon of oil paint is roughly 4Kg.
That means that 51,200,000 Kg of oil paint are used each year. (12,800,000 X 4)
I found that generally, Oil based paint is 30% solvent, so that leaves 15,360,000 Kg of solvent evaporated each year.

Now, I looked up how much VOC is naturally occuring in the US, I couldn't find a total of all VOC, but I found an amount of the a calculation of the amount of the VOC class terpenes that I was able to apply to the amount of national forest we have in the US. (Both Found on Wikipedia). On a summer day, the US National forests naturally produce about 42,774,194 Kg of terpenes per day.

So, if we give the benefit of the doubt that ALL solvent in oil paint is VOC, it takes 0.35 days for the U.S. National forests to naturally produce that amount of terpenes alone. (42,774,194 Kg/15,360,000 Kg)

I hope that puts into perspective how little impact VOC's from oil paints have on the environment.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 11:09:03 am »
The environmental impact is due to the VOCs the paint puts out when it dries, not to mention the solvents needed for clean up... as far as the level of environmental impact all of the oil based paint that is/was being used ... I have no idea... I know I always feel a smidgen guilty when messing with the stuff.

I hope my calculation helps you feel a bit less guilty about using oil paints! Also, I personally avoid using solvents unless I make a mess, or if I am using a paint gun. I generally just buy cheap paint brushes and paint trays and toss them when I am done.

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 11:13:54 am »

I hope my calculation helps you feel a bit less guilty about using oil paints! Also, I personally avoid using solvents unless I make a mess, or if I am using a paint gun. I generally just buy cheap paint brushes and paint trays and toss them when I am done.

Well in fact yes it does!!! That was a great post.  Thanks!!!
Happy Gaming!

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 11:41:53 pm »
@ Vigo the Cruel

Thanks, it's nice to have a little perspective once in awhile. Here's something that occurred to me.

A lot of people buy cheap brushes and other disposables rather than cleaning the brushes. I admit I do that as well unless I want to use a high quality brush for fine detail work (like scale modeling). If my dad was alive, he'd probably shoot me for being so wasteful.  :-\

Apparently, professional painters don't use brushes either, too time consuming I guess. I've seen them use spray guns with disposable cups. Then you consider the discarded plastic, tape, cans of paint, fuel, electricity, masks, suits, etc. These hidden costs add up in a hurry in our landfills. Yet I rarely, if ever, see environmentalists attack that aspect at all. (In contrast, my father cleaned his brushes, wore old shirts and pants and used fabric tarps as drop cloths.)

In a nutshell, I find it interesting there are rarely hard numbers to determine the true environmental impact of all these environmental laws coming into effect. You take away VOC's and the natural tendency for painters to reuse most of their painting supplies into a society that bans VOC's but tosses everything that was used during the painting process in the first place. It's even codified into some state and federal agencies that it's required to use disposable brushes. Hell, even NASA uses those super cheap disposable foam brushes you can find at Home Depot to apply patches to their shuttles in outer space. I guess it's easier to just toss the brush afterwards and add to our space debris. :D

I understand the intent, but I fail to see how the trade off is any better. ??? :dizzy:

emphatic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:46:01 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 08:31:33 pm »
Nice teaser pic!  :applaud:

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
Re: Space Invaders
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 09:38:01 pm »
I've got Berzerk in the house and slowly am bringing it back to life... now it's time to get Space Invaders off of the ground!!!

I've taken it completely apart.  I got this machine from a friend of mine and even though the cab was not in the best shape the thing that attracted me to this particular one (as he had many many space invaders cabs) was the fact that the original slats were left on the machine so the base had never touched the ground!  This makes for a great restoration!!! But once I got the machine disassembled and on its back, I noticed the slats had absorbed some water which wicked up into the kick panel and rusted the leg leveler mounts... :(

I decided to begin by removing the 4 legs and the kick panel as it had a bit of de-lamination.

I reconstructed 4 legs with new levelers.  Cut a new kick panel and am ready to put it back together and get it upright (tomorrows task)

Here are a few shots of the tear down and also a couple of close ups of the speckling of black that I will be reproducing when I repaint this ol' fella.

one of the sockets has broken loose...

moon from above ;)  I have a new moon from TOG... not sure if its needed but what the heck!

Don't know if you can tell but the specked finish was applied before the stenciling.

Here are some shots of the new kick panel and leg leveler legs...

Happy Gaming!

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 08:43:48 am »
I don't think I've seen anyone do a full restoration on a SI.  This is going to be good.  Looking forward to it.

My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 07:50:08 am »
Here are a few pics of the bottom... nothing spectacular... pretty much the same treatment I gave Berzerk....

It may seem silly doing this but the bottom of the cab takes the most stress and abuse IMHO.  Getting this right makes for a good long (sturdy) life.

Happy Gaming!

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 04:05:35 pm »
I was very interested in this thread before, but my interest level just jumped a notch.

Picked this up today:

Will be following your progress closely as I hope to shamelessly copy each step.

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 03:10:19 pm »
I was very interested in this thread before, but my interest level just jumped a notch.

Will be following your progress closely as I hope to shamelessly copy each step.

Isn't it funny how many times restorations come in herds of the same game...  ;)

I got most of the white sides stripped last night... the black sands off wicked fast (120 grit)... the white and the blue (80 grit) is pretty tough. Below the black/blue/red is a light blue primer that is really durable in most places.

I'm always apprehensive about stripping down to bear wood as the ply is old and tends to absorb moisture because its so darn dry so the finish can split along the grain... I usually like to keep a layer of the original paint (if it is tough... especially like the paint on Berzerk) for this reason.  However with SI the paint flakes way too easy in many places so I'm afraid this one will have to get down to its birthday suit.
Happy Gaming!

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 03:15:58 pm »
Spyridon has to be my favorite person that I have never met!  ;D
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 03:20:30 pm »

Picked this up today:
:o  Dammit, I can't keep up!

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 09:56:49 am »

Then apparently you haven't seen RetroACTIVE's Berzerk, APB, or Star Wars threads?  Now that is some good stuff!  I have yet to powder coat a power brick    :applaud:

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2011, 03:27:30 pm »
Been sick for a few days just got out of bed today futzing around the house... this is some of the body work I stared last week...

Bottom is a little grubby...

Got some filth from the monitor...

The one piece of the cab I kind of feel bad sanding off but it had to be done...

White is cleaned off..

right side stuff...

sanded...

front...

front sanded...

I'm stripping this down to bare wood whenever possible... then I'll probably coat it with a grain filler a few times... the plywood is pretty darn dry and "gray" around the edges... lots of flaking paint... adding the filler should build up the surface and hopefully prevent future cracking.
Happy Gaming!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 06:19:27 pm »

Then apparently you haven't seen RetroACTIVE's Berzerk, APB, or Star Wars threads?  Now that is some good stuff!  I have yet to powder coat a power brick    :applaud:

You guys are BOTH idols of mine! Just the level of craftsmanship from you guys on these restorations is fantastic.

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 02:35:27 pm »

You guys are BOTH idols of mine! Just the level of craftsmanship from you guys on these restorations is fantastic.

Nah... I think Spy has me beat... I cheat a bit with the powder coating... most of his work is all done by him ;)
Happy Gaming!

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 02:38:20 pm »
Spyridon has to be my favorite person that I have never met!  ;D

Then apparently you haven't seen RetroACTIVE's Berzerk, APB, or Star Wars threads?  Now that is some good stuff!  I have yet to powder coat a power brick    :applaud:

You should check out Level42's stuff as well. These guys are all in the same class IMO.
 ;) ;D

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011, 03:14:01 pm »
I spent a whole afternoon looking at Level42's gameroom thread. Between the restorations and scratch designs like Ond's and Pixelhuggers, the level of craftsmanship and creativity is astounding.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, 03:20:10 pm »

Nah... I think Spy has me beat... I cheat a bit with the powder coating... most of his work is all done by him ;)

I'm passing the torch over to you after the Berzerk restore.  (Besides, I would powder coat if I could find someone locally to do it.) 

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 02:01:30 pm »
Here is a pic of the coin door which was powder coated a while back... you'll notice the color is not nearly as dark as the original... I had a hard time finding the proper powder... but I think it will look just fine when put together.

Happy Gaming!

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2011, 02:48:29 pm »
That looks good.  I need to find a powder coater up here

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2011, 03:14:17 pm »
That looks good.  I need to find a powder coater up here

Thanks... yeah... I have a couple more parts to get done again... I've got a Millipede in my collection that sure could use a power block restoration, and I forgot to take the darn dolly guard ( mounts to the underside back edge of the SI cab) when I brought all of my other stuff to the shop on the last go round.  I also will probably have the L brackets for the moon light assembly done because they are a bit rusty.

Not sure about the coin box... its galvanized... I would love to get it done in a bright silver or gray if I could, but I'm not sure if galvanized metal can be powder coated... I bet probably can be.
Happy Gaming!

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2011, 06:44:52 pm »
I finally was able to squeak a little time in on this one ...

Ok first off... sanding this thing... a total and absolute ---smurfette---!!! Since I was ill I was apprehensive about getting back into this... its been 2 winter seasons now and last year I ended up with pneumonia and this year an upper respiratory infection... I've never ever had a problem with my lungs... until now... (hmm... been doin' an awful lot of restoration work over the past 4+ years... are ya picking up what I'm puttin down here?)

I've always been careless with the lack of use of breathing masks and such... I don't know if its related... but either way I think its finally caught up with me... so now ... I'm never taking any chances again. Those paper masks don't do ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- in my opinion... this is the only way...

As you can see... my garage is coated with a nice flurry of blue snow...

Its pretty much sanded to bare... and I've re-counter sunk all the holes and added extra supporting screws adjacent to each nail.. first hit of bondo...

... counter sink

... reinforcements

All I can say is that this is some bitchin ply... its really tough.  As long as its not terribly dry or de-laminating... it really cleans up great.

The only way I could get through the paint in a reasonable amount of time was to hit it with 60 -> 80 -> 150 ->220 grit with the random orbital.  The black comes off easy but the blue is tough as nails.... (funny thing the nails aren't all that tough though < punny ha!)
Happy Gaming!

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2011, 11:30:54 am »
Pretty much finished with the body work... lots of little nicks and chips to deal with. Plus I noticed when I was sanding it there was a pretty substantial hollow spot within the plywood on the left side... I ended up cutting out the top layer and filled the hole up... it was about 1"x2".

After sanding it and getting it prepped for paint, I realized I will be painting this from the inside out. The trim along the front where the bezel sits and along the sides needs to be painted in a satin black but the cavity of the cabinet needs to be flat black.

So my plan is to first paint the satin black trim and edges... then mask that off and spray the heck out of the insides with flat black. You need flat black around the monitor/mirror cavity because you don't want any glare inside the box otherwise it will kill the moon effect. Flat sucks because it gets filthy but this will be in my home and it wont get such a heavy amount of play that there will be a dirt build up to worry about (at least not in my lifetime). After all the black is done, I will mask off the insides.

Next will be the white followed by the blue. I'm leaning in the direction of completely finishing the white... stencils and all... then mask it off and forget about it and move on to the blue.
Happy Gaming!

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2011, 05:03:39 pm »
Ok I had to deviate from my initial plan... the reason... I had painted the blacks in the wrong order !!!  I painted the satin trim first then masked it off and painted the inside flat black... I didn't wait long enough to mask the satin trim... so when I removed the tape... it took off some pieces of paint.... I wasn't going to remove the masking but its a good thing I did... Had I done that at the end I would have been pee-oe-d!!

So today I masked the insides (covered openings) and painted the satin trim again... since the satin black along the insides of the control panel area intersect with white... white ain't happening ... not yet anyway.  So I decided to do the blue first.

Here is the first coat of blue and the satin trim... I always paint the first coat a little thinner than other coats as it sits directly on the wood panel.  I never prime.

Satin Trim final coat...

That's it for today...
Happy Gaming!

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2011, 09:24:45 pm »
I was able to get the rear doors re-fabbed today...  I used 1/2" sanded birch ply instead of particle (which I can't find in 1/2" anyway) or MDF.  These new doors are much better made with this material than the original brittle particle board anyway...

(Spy and others... who want the dimensions of the doors... hang tight... I have them and need to make a couple of drawings ;)

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 11:30:38 am by RetroACTIVE »
Happy Gaming!

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2011, 11:07:11 am »

(Spy and others... who want the dimensions of the doors... hang tight... I have them and need to make a couple of drawings ;)

Thanks.  That door looks really good.  How about a quick router tutorial on how you made those nice circles for the locks for those of use woodworking neophytes?

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2011, 11:24:49 am »

Thanks.  That door looks really good.  How about a quick router tutorial on how you made those nice circles for the locks for those of use woodworking neophytes?

No prob!!!!

First... do yourself a favor and get yourself one of these jigs: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2406&filter=forsner%20bit
...and these two bits: 1-1/8" Long Shank Carbide Forstner Bit and 3/4'' Long Shank Carbide Forstner Bit

These bits are expensive but are totally worth it...I've been using this since I started this hobby for all my control panel and door holes.

I used the 1-1/8" for the counter bore (its the standard size for button holes) and the 3/4" for the lock holes.  The original counter bore for the lock is a bit wider than 1-1/8"... probably more like 1-1/4" in size... but the 1-1/8" works fine and I had that bit on hand ;)

The jig has a stop collar so you can set it to depth (or you can eyeball it... stop collar is handy for doing lots of repeat work, I use it for when I'm drilling out many leaf button holes).  Drill the counter bore first (for the SI door its about a 1/16" in depth).  The forsner will cut a dimple smack dab in the middle of the cut.  Use the dimple as your centering guide for the 3/4" lock hole.  Make sure you have some solid wood material underneath your door when you drill through with the forsner bit, this will prevent break out damage when the bit comes through the material.  Also remember these bits work much better at lower rpms...

You could use a drill press but with the large panels its kind of a pain (at least with my stand up press)...  I find the jig works perfect for these types of things.  They are quick and easy.  

Rectangular holes were done using a 1/2" (bearing on top) router bit.  I used the old doors as templates.  Had I not had the doors I would have needed to make a template for them.

The whole panel was cut using a 3/4" (bearing on top) router bit.  I traced the old door out first then cut it out with about 1/4" excess material from the larger sheet.  I used a straight edge as a cutting guide to remove the rough edge and to cut along the tracing.

The rabbet edges (tongue on the bottom of the doors) were done with a rabbeting bit...  : http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11104&filter=rabbet
I don't recall what the depth of the rabbet was... I have it written down so you will have it with the door plans.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 11:46:33 am by RetroACTIVE »
Happy Gaming!

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2011, 12:58:22 pm »
Great progress Retro!
That back doors look great. I'm happy to see you put this much love and care in getting this back to form!  :cheers:

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2011, 03:49:18 pm »
Great progress Retro!
That back doors look great. I'm happy to see you put this much love and care in getting this back to form!  :cheers:

Thanks!  Should be able to get coat number 4 on tonight....

Weather has been pretty good but got cold these last 2 days and I've been using the garage heater... problem is I can't keep it heated for the entire drying duration.  I'm finding that the acetone is evaporating quick as usual but the paint does not flow as nice due to the cooler temps... so I'm getting a little more orange peel effect than I care for... its not that bad but I really don't want any if I can help it.

I'm going to try coat number 4 with traditional paint thinner to see if I get better results.   Worse comes to worse... I'll bring it in and do the remainder in the basement.  We've been lucky with some real warm weather (up until this weekend) so the garage has been fine.

Getting close to done with blue... 6 is the magic number as far as coats of paint (at least for me)... 5 is about right for most.. but once coat number 6 is on it really looks solid.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 03:51:09 pm by RetroACTIVE »
Happy Gaming!

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2011, 10:27:05 am »
Damn thing timed out and I lost my previous post.

First... do yourself a favor and get yourself one of these jigs: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2406&filter=forsner%20bit

Oh wow, that's actually really cool. I was puzzling on how to make a jig for my drill that does exactly that. My miss rate averages about 1 in 4 which sucks royal balls. My dad was so skilled he could hit it right every damn time, one handed. Kind of humiliating really. :embarassed:

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2011, 10:49:26 am »
Damn thing timed out and I lost my previous post.

Oh wow, that's actually really cool. I was puzzling on how to make a jig for my drill that does exactly that. My miss rate averages about 1 in 4 which sucks royal balls. My dad was so skilled he could hit it right every damn time, one handed. Kind of humiliating really. :embarassed:

Nothing more depressing than when you have cut out a nice door or control panel and then you booger up a hole or cut!!! It totally takes the wind out of the sail.  When that happens... i just give up for the day ;)  Got to find those dependable jigs/tools that work well for you.  This jig is one of those things for me.
Happy Gaming!