Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Dreamcast Recommendations.  (Read 8352 times)

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
Dreamcast Recommendations.
« on: August 13, 2003, 09:20:47 am »
Hey, the last dreamcast thread moved away from the initial ideas..  <please don't post about piracy)

But I still have a few questions..

1) Is there better DC -> VGA converters then others?  

2) Do the Gun games work with VGA?

3) Now I hear the free DC import CD swap disk DOESNT work with VGA.  Does the mod chips?

4) Has anyone hacked a real arcade analog controller to the DC yet?  (not just a 8way to the analog, but a real analog?)

Thank!

clok

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2018, 10:58:39 pm
  • I can play PacMan till the screen splits!
Re:Dreamcast Recommendations.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2003, 11:51:06 am »
Also very interested in the Control part .. I have 4 DC's and would love to hack one into my machine. Also, does anybody know if you can hack a HD to the DC? I would love toput all the games on a HUGE HD (or 2) and put it in my system.

Clok

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2003, 12:07:35 pm »
Lilwolf, all your questions (besises #3) are answered in the Game Consoles section.

http://www.arcadecontrols.com/arcade_consoles.shtml

Mod chips have nothing to do with wether a game will play in VGA or not.  Some boot discs will play games in VGA (DC-X, Action Replay, Codebreaker, and I think someone said Utopia v1.2 although you won't see the boot screen).  The only issue with mod chips (as discussed in the previous thead) was that a couple of the home-made DC games didn't have boot loaders...and required a boot disc.  Mod chip won't help you there.  All the home-made DC games out now (in the last year or two) use KallistiOS underneth which allows self boot (legally).

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2003, 01:29:54 pm »
One additional question about the VGA -> Arcade dreamcast hack in the console section.

Since arcade monitors are usually 320x240 resolution... And Dreamcast VGA's are 640x480...  

Wouldn't this end up with worse output?

But other then that... I think I found my solution!  I might end up putting my dreamcast in it's own cab!

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2003, 02:02:56 pm »
Since arcade monitors are usually 320x240 resolution... And Dreamcast VGA's are 640x480...  

Wouldn't this end up with worse output?

But other then that... I think I found my solution!  I might end up putting my dreamcast in it's own cab!

The dc->arcade monitor hack mentioned is for Standard Resolution Arcade monitors (yes 320x240).  You hack the VGA Box to output 15khz rather than 31khz.  If you have a D9200 monitor which accepts 31khz (640x480 natively) then just hook up the VGA box without hacking it.  If you can afford the D9200, then yes that is the better output option.   But 15khz rgb into an arcade monitor is almost as good (much better than composite or s-video to a TV).

I'm glad more people are realizing how much fun it is to put a DC in a cab  ;D

gnateye

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2011, 11:22:36 am
  • 4 cabs and counting!!!
    • natty's arcade
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2003, 05:39:37 pm »
gun games work fine with the vga monitor, i heard naki vga boxes stink, i have a dragoncast one and its great, there is a brand with a vga pass thru though that is sweet as well.

just use utopia 1.2 it loads but it has no pic o nthe screen, you just put it in, turn on the dc, the swirtl screen comes up, then it goes black, now you can open the lid (dotn poweer off) and swap cds, after a few seconds of loading he image will pop up on the screen. there ar a lot of games that dont work with vga though fyi, some you need to start the dc with the vga cble switched to TV, and you switch it to VGA when the little DC intro tone ends, but there are a few (capcom games especially) that dont work no matter what.

it is fun, im finally finishing my DC cab this week, getting the 25" svid tv this weekend! whoooo

Luxury

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 18, 2006, 01:21:59 pm
  • Unfortunately It's True. :(
    • arcadeZERO
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2003, 07:26:34 pm »
i highly recommend the performance vga box.  its what i have, and its the one with vga pass-through with automatic switching.  So as soon as i turn on my dc, it switches the monitor.  no fuss.
of course they are rare to find now-a-days, and are more expensive than the rest.  but it is the best.   ;D
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

BombProofPlane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2009, 04:14:14 pm
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2003, 12:26:48 am »
picking a vga box is more like deciding to get monster component cables or a cheaper component cable because the vga boxes for dreamcast do no conversion if your a cheap ass you can just wire directly out of the back of the dreamcast

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2003, 07:48:01 am »
I don't understand what your saying.  Are you saying that some are just basic passthroughts and doesn't increase the resolution?

picking a vga box is more like deciding to get monster component cables or a cheaper component cable because the vga boxes for dreamcast do no conversion if your a cheap ass you can just wire directly out of the back of the dreamcast

Spaced Invader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 15, 2008, 07:27:49 am
  • Resistance is... probably a good idea.
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2003, 08:55:12 am »
Lilwolf,
Almost all Dreamcast games run native at 640x480. So, there is no upscaling with most Dreamcast VGA boxes (I did see one exception that upscaled 320x240 games to 640x480 (but there's only a handfull of those games anyway)). While the resolution is not increased the picture is sharper on the monitor for the same reason your computer is clearer on your monitor than with TV out (a monitor has higher resolution than a TV).

That said many people still prefer a TV over a monitor for two reasons.

1. A large TV is cheaper than a large monitor.

2. JAGGIES! 640x480 may be high resolution for a console but not for a monitor especially a large one. The problem is the picture may be "too clear" and the result is visible pixels (yes it's the same argument people have against useing a computer monitor in a mame cabinet).

Personally, the jaggies don't bother me...but...opinions vary!  ;D
All Your Base Are Belong To Us!

gnateye

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2011, 11:22:36 am
  • 4 cabs and counting!!!
    • natty's arcade
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2003, 12:24:35 pm »
ive used a monitor for over a year now, and it is far superior, but just like he said above, i switched to a tv yesterday, i was able to get a 25" apex tv with svid, whic is the closest you get to vga on a tv for 150$ at circuit city,  the games dont look as clear, but the lores-ness hidesa lot of the defects in the graphics too, and a ther eis no way i could afford a 25" monitor unless it was arcade and that is a whole nother resolution altogether. but now that i have a tv i can play ALL of my games where before with the vga it was hit n missabout half dont work with the vga box.

so basically while i loved the graphics of the montior i am much happier with the a big ol tv, its worth the loss of detail for size and compatability

just my .02$

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2003, 01:18:17 pm »
27" and 31" Gateway Destination monitors are still going for between $225 and $250 on ebay.  They typically can do resolutions up to 800x600.

I bought a 36" Destination monitor a few years ago for $500 and use it as my main console monitor  ;D.  Too big for a cabinet (unless you want to go the showcase route).

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2003, 01:27:14 pm »
Yeah.. I have a 27" ergo monitor myself.  VGA with 640x480 max.  But I was hoping to get it into an arcade crt myself.  Seems like a great combo if it all works well!

BombProofPlane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2009, 04:14:14 pm
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2003, 12:46:47 am »
36 inch is not too big for a non showcase when it comes to dumbass custom-arcades lol

and to the guy who said tvs are better

just cut the right wire on your vga box and you'll get an image thats pretty close to your vga monitor and if you want to play other consoles buy a transcoder and use component out from them