Main > Consoles

Dreamcast Recommendations.

<< < (2/3) > >>

gnateye:
gun games work fine with the vga monitor, i heard naki vga boxes stink, i have a dragoncast one and its great, there is a brand with a vga pass thru though that is sweet as well.

just use utopia 1.2 it loads but it has no pic o nthe screen, you just put it in, turn on the dc, the swirtl screen comes up, then it goes black, now you can open the lid (dotn poweer off) and swap cds, after a few seconds of loading he image will pop up on the screen. there ar a lot of games that dont work with vga though fyi, some you need to start the dc with the vga cble switched to TV, and you switch it to VGA when the little DC intro tone ends, but there are a few (capcom games especially) that dont work no matter what.

it is fun, im finally finishing my DC cab this week, getting the 25" svid tv this weekend! whoooo

Luxury:
i highly recommend the performance vga box.  its what i have, and its the one with vga pass-through with automatic switching.  So as soon as i turn on my dc, it switches the monitor.  no fuss.
of course they are rare to find now-a-days, and are more expensive than the rest.  but it is the best.   ;D

BombProofPlane:
picking a vga box is more like deciding to get monster component cables or a cheaper component cable because the vga boxes for dreamcast do no conversion if your a cheap ass you can just wire directly out of the back of the dreamcast

Lilwolf:
I don't understand what your saying.  Are you saying that some are just basic passthroughts and doesn't increase the resolution?

--- Quote from: BombProofPlane on August 16, 2003, 12:26:48 am ---picking a vga box is more like deciding to get monster component cables or a cheaper component cable because the vga boxes for dreamcast do no conversion if your a cheap ass you can just wire directly out of the back of the dreamcast

--- End quote ---

Spaced Invader:
Lilwolf,
Almost all Dreamcast games run native at 640x480. So, there is no upscaling with most Dreamcast VGA boxes (I did see one exception that upscaled 320x240 games to 640x480 (but there's only a handfull of those games anyway)). While the resolution is not increased the picture is sharper on the monitor for the same reason your computer is clearer on your monitor than with TV out (a monitor has higher resolution than a TV).

That said many people still prefer a TV over a monitor for two reasons.

1. A large TV is cheaper than a large monitor.

2. JAGGIES! 640x480 may be high resolution for a console but not for a monitor especially a large one. The problem is the picture may be "too clear" and the result is visible pixels (yes it's the same argument people have against useing a computer monitor in a mame cabinet).

Personally, the jaggies don't bother me...but...opinions vary!  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version