Main > Consoles

Dreamcast Recommendations.

(1/3) > >>

Lilwolf:
Hey, the last dreamcast thread moved away from the initial ideas..  <please don't post about piracy)

But I still have a few questions..

1) Is there better DC -> VGA converters then others?  

2) Do the Gun games work with VGA?

3) Now I hear the free DC import CD swap disk DOESNT work with VGA.  Does the mod chips?

4) Has anyone hacked a real arcade analog controller to the DC yet?  (not just a 8way to the analog, but a real analog?)

Thank!

clok:
Also very interested in the Control part .. I have 4 DC's and would love to hack one into my machine. Also, does anybody know if you can hack a HD to the DC? I would love toput all the games on a HUGE HD (or 2) and put it in my system.

Clok

Dave_K.:
Lilwolf, all your questions (besises #3) are answered in the Game Consoles section.

http://www.arcadecontrols.com/arcade_consoles.shtml

Mod chips have nothing to do with wether a game will play in VGA or not.  Some boot discs will play games in VGA (DC-X, Action Replay, Codebreaker, and I think someone said Utopia v1.2 although you won't see the boot screen).  The only issue with mod chips (as discussed in the previous thead) was that a couple of the home-made DC games didn't have boot loaders...and required a boot disc.  Mod chip won't help you there.  All the home-made DC games out now (in the last year or two) use KallistiOS underneth which allows self boot (legally).

Lilwolf:
One additional question about the VGA -> Arcade dreamcast hack in the console section.

Since arcade monitors are usually 320x240 resolution... And Dreamcast VGA's are 640x480...  

Wouldn't this end up with worse output?

But other then that... I think I found my solution!  I might end up putting my dreamcast in it's own cab!

Dave_K.:

--- Quote from: Lilwolf on August 13, 2003, 01:29:54 pm ---Since arcade monitors are usually 320x240 resolution... And Dreamcast VGA's are 640x480...  

Wouldn't this end up with worse output?

But other then that... I think I found my solution!  I might end up putting my dreamcast in it's own cab!

--- End quote ---

The dc->arcade monitor hack mentioned is for Standard Resolution Arcade monitors (yes 320x240).  You hack the VGA Box to output 15khz rather than 31khz.  If you have a D9200 monitor which accepts 31khz (640x480 natively) then just hook up the VGA box without hacking it.  If you can afford the D9200, then yes that is the better output option.   But 15khz rgb into an arcade monitor is almost as good (much better than composite or s-video to a TV).

I'm glad more people are realizing how much fun it is to put a DC in a cab  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version