Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: AdvMenu Background Image Problem  (Read 4708 times)

jmrank

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2011, 02:07:01 pm
AdvMenu Background Image Problem
« on: August 20, 2010, 09:57:37 am »
Hey all.

My cabinet is running AdvanceMenu and AdvanceMame on Windows ME.  I'm in the process of rebuilding it using Ubuntu 8.1 (running OUTSIDE of X), and I'm having the strangest problem.  I've narrowed it down to the background image in advmenu (ui_background).  If there's an image set up (any image), the audio in advmenu doesn't work, I can't start a game, and I can't exit (either causes everything to freeze up).  Without that image, everything works fine.

Ideas?  Thoughts?  Places to look??  Anybody else seen anything like this?

ranma

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 05, 2014, 08:44:01 pm
Re: AdvMenu Background Image Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 11:15:46 am »
That's most interesting. I cannot reproduce the problem but had some sound problems myself.

In any case, for a start, I wouldn't use ubuntu because it uses pulse audio and that gave me a lot of sound problems with mame and advmenu. (in my laptop machine I cannot have advmenu output any sound no matter what I do)

My first recommendation would be to disable pulse and try again, although if the problem is really about the background image, maybe it doesn't have anything to do with it.

jmrank

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 11:33:26 am »
The log says it's using alsa for audio...

Looks like it might not be -only- the background image... I just let it sit for awhile, and it locked up eventually all by itself... but adding the background image screws it up every time.

jmrank

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 03:44:29 pm »
Solved!

It appears the audio was conflicting between advmenu and advmame... and it only really happened when I had a background image.  I changed the device_sound parm in advmenu to something else (oss), and now it's working.