Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: HyperSpin v2 is coming...  (Read 43101 times)

Dazz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 10:34:39 am
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
HyperSpin v2 is coming...
« on: October 18, 2010, 01:54:40 am »
BadBoyBill has been listening to working on HyperSpin and v2.0 is currently in development and has been for a little while.  The engine is being completely re-written and optimized.  Lines of code that numbered in the thousands is down to a couple hundred.  Many of the most requested features are also being added.  Below is just a short list of the new features that are being worked on, there are many more features and optimizations that are to come later.  

* Vertical Resolution and Widescreen Support

* New wheel/game list display options, including coverflow with reflections.

* Search Functionality:

* In FE Operator Menu that will have some basic options:

* Parental Controls / Game Rating Options with support for AAMA,ESRB, PEGI and HSRS (custom HyperSpin Rating System)  - We prefer not to assume fake ratings for AAMA, ESRB, PEGI.  We will only use these ratings for games officially rated by those companies based on information at their respective websites. HSRS was made up to cover games not rated by those companies.

* Multiple Favorite Lists - Up to 5 different lists can be created.

* Passcoded Favorites - use a 3 button combination passcode to protect your favorites list.

* Hide/Disable Menu Items

* A new more robust Genre system.

* Much much much more to come.

Right now we have a push on to have all of our game databases completed with Genre and Ratings.  We also have a push on to have complete sets of wheel images and boxart for all supported systems.  The MAME wheel images are almost complete with about 200 missing, but more being created everyday.

As of right now we do not have a release time frame for HyperSpin v2...  My personal estimate is sometime after the first of the year, but I really have no clue.  Keep an eye out for more information.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 05:27:55 pm by Dazz »

jtslade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2023, 11:34:45 am
  • Keep it looking originallish!
Re: HyperSpin v2 is coming...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 05:49:18 am »
Awesome. Very awesome.
Ms. Pacman Original Cocktail with Non destructive mod to Groovy Arcade Linux with All 4way Vertical Cocktail capable 2 button or less games.

Neo Geo MVS Mame Cab Running Hyperspin, 25" Nanao Arcade Monitor, Mini-pac, ATI Radeon HD 4850 (ATOM-15), IL 8 Way Euro-Sticks from Paradise Arcade, Win XP 64bit, and tons of other junk.

abispac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:59:22 pm
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 07:29:40 pm »
wow vertical resolution.... i been asking for this for while, thanks guys...good work

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 09:22:13 am
  • Your arcade games will be assimilated!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 11:20:04 pm »
Looks awesome, can't wait.

arzoo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 11:15:11 am
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 09:07:37 am »
 :cheers:
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

nickynooch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2020, 02:54:00 am
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 09:31:05 am »
As someone who doesn't use Hyperspin I probably have a noob question (I'm a big Maximus Arcade user/fan).  Is it possible to run Hyperspin properly without renaming all the files I have currently?  I was toying with setting it up to play with, but I don't want it to mess with my current maximus arcade setup.  I still prefer the look of maximus arcade.  Of course, parental controls are pointless for me, but I always kinda wanted to run more than one front end for grins and testing.  Hyperspin is a gorgeous front end for sure, I just prefer maximus arcade.

Basically I'm not going to run hyperspin if I have to rename all my files now (namely the games names) and I have no idea if they are in the no-intro naming convention, goodtools, etc.  Probably a bit of all of the above.

Also, does anyone else have another front end as their primary front end and run hyperspin additionally (as their secondary frontend), if so how difficult was the setup?

Hopefully not hijacking this thread, just a quick question.

Thanks guys!

PsychoMikey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2014, 04:21:35 am
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 10:14:18 am »
Well, it can be done without renaming your roms, but that means changing the xml/gamelists in hyperspin to fit your rom sets + video + images which is probably alot more work. Getting roms with no-intro names is not really that hard.

nickynooch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 11:45:59 am »
 :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 02:51:30 am by nickynooch »

wxforecaster

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2019, 01:19:24 pm
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 12:44:00 pm »
As someone who doesn't use Hyperspin I probably have a noob question (I'm a big Maximus Arcade user/fan).  Is it possible to run Hyperspin properly without renaming all the files I have currently?  I was toying with setting it up to play with, but I don't want it to mess with my current maximus arcade setup.  I still prefer the look of maximus arcade.  Of course, parental controls are pointless for me, but I always kinda wanted to run more than one front end for grins and testing.  Hyperspin is a gorgeous front end for sure, I just prefer maximus arcade.

Basically I'm not going to run hyperspin if I have to rename all my files now (namely the games names) and I have no idea if they are in the no-intro naming convention, goodtools, etc.  Probably a bit of all of the above.

Also, does anyone else have another front end as their primary front end and run hyperspin additionally (as their secondary frontend), if so how difficult was the setup?

Hopefully not hijacking this thread, just a quick question.

Thanks guys!

Absolutely. Assuming that your names match for your ROMs and auxiliary art work/videos/etc... (same name, different extension), this process takes all of 5 minutes. Having a no-intro set is nice, but not necessary.

Simply use HyperSpin's ROM2XML utility to parse your ROMs folder and generate an updated XML file for that gaming system -- which ends up in the HyperSpin\Databases\[name of system] folder, replacing the baseline XML file.

Evan

nickynooch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 01:22:28 pm »
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 02:50:35 am by nickynooch »

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2020, 10:15:48 am
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 04:56:25 pm »
Hmm...

I'm afraid it's not that easy.
That will create your system xml for each emulator and the games will run but you will have to rename any existing HS themes to match your own names.  That being said, somebody in the HS board posted an application that does just that.

Setting up any good front-end takes quite a bit of time if you are obsessive compulsive like I am.  I spend countless hours setting up MaLa a couple of years ago and now I'm doing the same with Hyperspin.  Still, it's a lot of fun.
"The Manuel"

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 05:47:49 pm »

I know getting no-intro names isn't hard, but to redownload all no-intro games I would have to rename all my images/videos/roms I have already working perfectly in maximus arcade.  Also, if I just decided to download duplicates, that eats up a lot of hard drive space.  Oh well.  Glad to know the xml can be edited though, but I could imagine that would be a lot of work, but who knows maybe worth messing with.  Thanks for the heads up.  I guess I'll probably just end up with one front end for a while.

Probably just too much work for something to monkey around with when in the end I'd stick with maximus, just was interested on messing around with hyperspin for fun.

Still looks like they are doing a lot of cool things with Hyperspin.
As far as rom names, we are now offering up our custom/official XML's and HyperSpin DATS.  These DATS are based off of the No-Intro naming convention, but we have minted out the game lists so they only contain USA/EUR/WORLD games.  All of our artwork, wheel images, box art, themes and videos will all be based off of these new DATS.  These DATS can then be run through CLRMamePro to audit and rename your roms.

You mention not wanting to have to rename your videos/images that you are currently using in MA, well those wouldn't work in HyperSpin anyway.  MA uses .jpg/.bmp images and .avi videos.  Images in HyperSpin are .png and videos are .flv.  These file types offer better compression, more versatility and higher quality images and videos at quite a smaller file size. 

The artwork sets that we are putting together are the best sets on the internet.  All images, including game logos, box art, cart art are either being completely re-traced or go through a major touch-up process before we consider them quality enough to be added to our official sets.  Below are a couple examples of the cart art and box art that have recently been completed.

Since we like to have options we have 3 different types of cart art.  Realistic with 3d view, vector and realistic standard view.

We have box art for consoles in 2d and 3d

NES Cart style wheel images

Standard NES wheel logo's.

We still have much much much more features that are being added, new artwork being created daily and a very active community.

wxforecaster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 12:02:14 am »
Dazz,

Any chance to add additional artwork layers (at least one or two)? I know many of us would like to make use of BOTH the awesome cart and box artwork, but right now we're limited to either/or given the 4 artwork limitation in the themes.

Evan

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 12:03:24 am »
Wow!  Just looks better and better.  Waiting with extreme anticipation of front end nirvana.  ;D ;D

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 12:20:10 am »
Dazz,

Any chance to add additional artwork layers (at least one or two)? I know many of us would like to make use of BOTH the awesome cart and box artwork, but right now we're limited to either/or given the 4 artwork limitation in the themes.

Evan
No, adding more artwork layers would cause more problems than it would have benefits.  The theme structure is not going to change. 

If you want cart & box art to appear then I'd suggest creating a decent looking default system theme.  Or you can even batch process images and add cartart and boxart to the same piece of artwork.  You'd be surprised with what one can come up with using only 2 free artwork layers.

wxforecaster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 09:30:56 am »
Thanks Dazz. I'm a software engineer by trade, so it won't take much to composite the two graphics sets into one. Maybe I'll develop a small freeware app that let's the user take some combination of artwork and resize/rotate/composite them back into a single .png/.jpg.

nickynooch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 11:44:42 am »
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 02:52:13 pm by nickynooch »

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 05:32:22 pm »
I was a Maximus Guy for a long time.  I was actually one of the first people to actually buy MA.  There just came a time that I wanted something different.  I started beta testing with HyperSpin and I now know the FE inside and out.  I didn't develop it, so I had to learn how it worked just like everyone else.  Sure it takes time to setup and learn, but I think it's by far the most rewarding FE to setup especially when friends come over and see it in action.  I have gotten more reaction from people having HS on my cabinet than I ever had for the 5 or so years that I used MA.

Newly added feature:

* Multiple Favorite Lists - Up to 5 different lists can be created.

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 08:28:25 pm »
Do you anticipate the system requirements will remain the same?  I had HS on my cab but had to take it off because it slowed things down (I'm using an older computer).

However, I'm digging the new artwork and I maybe I'll use this for a stand-alone computer strictly for console emulators.   :applaud:

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 09:46:44 pm »
Do you anticipate the system requirements will remain the same?  I had HS on my cab but had to take it off because it slowed things down (I'm using an older computer).

However, I'm digging the new artwork and I maybe I'll use this for a stand-alone computer strictly for console emulators.   :applaud:

It may be a little less because of the code optimizations, but with that being said I wouldn't expect it to be a big decrease.  I still think for best results a dual core machine with 2gb ram or more is ideal for HS.

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2010, 10:46:01 am »
Parental Controls is great, however do you know if there will be password locked menus? With the favorites and perhaps custom lists?

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2010, 11:31:02 am »
Parental Controls is great, however do you know if there will be password locked menus? With the favorites and perhaps custom lists?
This is one thing that we are currently debating...  Why would you really need password locked menus/favorites?  

The parental controls system is FE wide.  This includes all game lists and favorite lists.  So if you don't want your kids seeing Adult games on the list, you would set the rating down to Everyone or something like that.  All game lists would show games rated E and lower.  When you, the adult, wants to play your games you can just switch the parental controls to Adult when you play and then switch back when you are done.

Favorites are going to be able to be password locked using a 3 button combo.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 11:39:29 am by Dazz »

Havok

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2010, 03:18:37 pm »
I would want it just because the controls are currently not granular enough. Some games will have a lower rating than what I would prefer and some games that I think are ok may have a higher rating. Rather than go ahead and adjust the levels for each game in question, it would be much easier to just have a password on a custom list so no-one that shouldn't be seeing it would be able to access.

It's not really about adult content vs. kids games as I'm not interested in adult games, it's more about what's in the game in question; there will always be disagreements between what I would rate a game and what it is officially rated. I believe that the ratings are based on descriptions on the games from the developers, they're not derived from the groups actually playing the games and seeing the content firsthand...

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2010, 05:30:27 pm »
* Passcoded Favorites - use a 3 button combination passcode to protect your favorites list.

Havok - In cases like yours I believe that the parental controls combined with our new option to hide/disable menu items would be perfect.  Set the FE to a rating that you are comfortable with and then you can manually disable any additional games by the press of a button.

* Hide/Disable ROMs

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2010, 12:46:35 am »
It's a nice idea although already done in GameEx using GameEx Login ;)

Still good to see BBB still working hard and HS can't be denied it's place as one of the best FE's around. My only gripe has been there is so much graphical content to gather and organize and I'm out of HDD space on my cab now anyway. I'll be sticking with GameEx but kudos to the HS team for their hard work  :cheers:

jackhammerslam

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2016, 04:07:19 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2011, 11:12:15 pm »
headkaze buy another HDD if you're running out of space.
I was a 3darcade user until I found hyperspin over a 18 months ago now the rest is history
I found gameEX more as a multimedia setup than an arcade system frontend
I've been digging the changes since 0.7.
as far as setting hyperspin up it's almost idiot proof. If I can do it. it mustn't be hard
as far as the community is concerned hyperspin and gameEX have strong support and both are paitent with noobs
hyperspin maybe graphical but it's what grabbed me in the first place.
BBB and the team have constantly impressed me. All I gotta do is wait.
if any of you guys want help changing to HS we'll Be here to help I'm normally HS site anyways (when I'm not working)

take it away

Mister Hat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2013, 10:05:59 pm
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2011, 11:27:38 pm »
Sucks I can't use it :(

Havok

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2011, 11:31:27 pm »

:D

Sucks I can't use it :(

Cheer up - 11.10 comes out on Thursday!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 11:35:38 pm by Havok »

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2011, 11:47:16 pm »
 :lol
"The Manuel"

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2011, 10:19:38 am »
 :laugh2: :laugh2:

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2011, 10:48:04 am »
---fudgesicle--- this......  :banghead:

pathartl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2014, 01:10:17 am
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2011, 05:00:28 am »
Dazz, love all the work you guys are putting into this, but I've got one question...

Why does it run so slow on all of my machines?! I know you guys are using Flash for the artwork, but are you using it for the main app too? My arcade cabinet currently has a dual core Pentium in it and it stutters a lot when going from game to game on the wheel. The only thing I've been able to make it run semi decently on was my main desktop, and that's a Core-i7 2600k clocked at 4.2GHz!

wweumina

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2022, 04:56:31 am
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2011, 06:12:33 am »
You'll need to turn off alot of the effects etc or lower your resolution to get it running well.  It still looks very good even with the lower settings chosen.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2011, 12:17:26 pm »
Dazz, love all the work you guys are putting into this, but I've got one question...

Why does it run so slow on all of my machines?! I know you guys are using Flash for the artwork, but are you using it for the main app too? My arcade cabinet currently has a dual core Pentium in it and it stutters a lot when going from game to game on the wheel. The only thing I've been able to make it run semi decently on was my main desktop, and that's a Core-i7 2600k clocked at 4.2GHz!
either you have issues with your pc, maybe low ram? ---smurfy--- video card? too much stuff runing in the background? im using a Pentium D with  1 gb ram no problems at all.

pathartl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2014, 01:10:17 am
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2011, 05:54:02 pm »
either you have issues with your pc, maybe low ram? ---smurfy--- video card? too much stuff runing in the background? im using a Pentium D with  1 gb ram no problems at all.

3GB of RAM, nVidia 8600GT running XP, nothing else in the background. I mean it's usuable but more often than not I try to launch a game, only to not have Hyperspin recognize my keypress and I have to push start a second time to load the game. This has become such a habit sometimes I accidentally launch two games so then I have to exit out of the game, alt-tab to the other game and play.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2012, 01:08:57 pm »
 :bump for updates or insights!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2012, 01:13:29 pm »
It will come like a thief in the night...
"The Manuel"

brad808

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2023, 08:18:15 pm
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2012, 05:45:03 pm »
It will come like a thief in the night...

AKA never at all... (I live in a poor area.... thieves don't come to poor areas!)

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2012, 12:35:23 am »
F U C K - U GUYS......HS will be out whenever BBB feels its ready.....i hate this bumps for nothing.....

ratsflif

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 06:08:07 pm
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2012, 01:12:14 pm »
Bump