Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: BIOS password with CP?  (Read 2648 times)

arcath

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2011, 05:08:55 pm
BIOS password with CP?
« on: October 16, 2010, 05:16:29 pm »
I am still in the planning phase of my cab but I got to thinking. I don't think I have seen this before.

Is there any way to use the CP to set a BIOS boot up password? Say the Konami code or something?

I know you can map the CP to keyboard functions after the OS boots but what about boot up?

DJ_Izumi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 04:19:22 pm
Re: BIOS password with CP?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 07:55:57 pm »
Do you really NEED a BIOS password?  Without the keyboard right there and accessable to the user it's not like just anyone can hit F2 (Or whatever your mobo uses) during boot to even access the BIOS.

Digital Vandal

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2010, 04:22:37 am
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 08:06:44 pm »
Easiest way to brick a motherboard and the most pointless option ever designed in my opinion.

DJ_Izumi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 08:45:51 pm »
Easiest way to brick a motherboard and the most pointless option ever designed in my opinion.

Setting a BIOS password hardly bricks the mobo.  If you forget it all you have to do is reset the CMOS.

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 11:17:29 pm »
the real question is, why would you want to do this?  If you are worried about someone using the cabinet without your permission, it would probably just be easier to have the power switch mounted inside the coin door or something, so you have to have the key to turn it on. 

if you are dead set on having a boot password, i guess it depends on what encoder you are using for your controls.  if it is a keyboard based encoder (ipac, keywiz, x-arcade, etc) then it shouldn't be an issue at all.  you would use your keyboard to get into the bios setup, go to the place where you configure the boot password and then use your controls to input it.

however if you are using a gamepad or similar interface for your controls (hacked gamepad/joystick, gpwiz, etc) then this will not work. 

either way, it seems kinda pointless.

as for the comment about having to press F2 or Del to enter the bios, that is only to configure the bios, i believe the original poster was referring to setting a password to get the PC to boot into windows, not the password to configure the bios.  this would not require you to press any additional keys.  when the pc powers on, it sits at the bios screen and waits for you to enter a password before proceeding to boot the OS.

and to Digital Vandal, bios passwords aren't dangerous, like DJ_Izumi stated, all you need to do is clear the cmos (usually a jumper, or remove the battery) and the bios password is gone.
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

arcath

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 11:45:55 pm »
severdhed, thanks for the response man. :)

Digital Vandal

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2010, 04:22:37 am
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 04:34:23 am »
and to Digital Vandal, bios passwords aren't dangerous, like DJ_Izumi stated, all you need to do is clear the cmos (usually a jumper, or remove the battery) and the bios password is gone.

I was told that back in 1994. Maybe things have changed, maybe I was given the wrong information. Either way I feel like a  :tool: :badmood:

Harakiri

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2014, 05:02:37 am
  • Invisible member status
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 06:59:05 am »
Most motherboards nowadays can be powered by typing a user-defined password. You can use a keyboard hidden on a keyboard drawer or embed a mini-keyboard in the control panel to achieve this purpose. It's not Konami code but it's very similar don't ya think?! :)

arcath

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 03:12:02 pm »
Most motherboards nowadays can be powered by typing a user-defined password. You can use a keyboard hidden on a keyboard drawer or embed a mini-keyboard in the control panel to achieve this purpose. It's not Konami code but it's very similar don't ya think?! :)

I know my way around a computer and I realize I can just use a keyboard for it which isn't really what I am going for. What I didn't know was at what level the CP interfaced with the computer.

Quote from: severdhed
...i guess it depends on what encoder you are using for your controls.  if it is a keyboard based encoder (ipac, keywiz, x-arcade, etc) then it shouldn't be an issue at all.

Since I am going to use a ipac I guess it will work.

This isn't really intended to stop a thief from booting the machine. Unless that thief is REALLY stupid (and I guess some are) severdhed was correct about just resetting a jumper on the motherboard to reset the CMOS.

I was just thinking I might like to have this enabled on the machine to stop my 6 year old from playing with the cabinet when I am in another area of the house or something. Plus the konami code would be a easy to remember combo and something today's average kid wouldn't know.

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 08:11:33 pm »
i just put the power button on the top of my cabinets, that way anyone under about 5ft tall can't reach them to turn them on.

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 09:21:51 pm »
i just put the power button on the top of my cabinets, that way anyone under about 5ft tall can't reach them to turn them on.

That is why they make chairs  ;D

gazz292

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 22, 2022, 12:00:01 pm
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 09:45:42 pm »
put a key switch on the machine then, key in your pocket, the kid cant start the machine no matter what buttons are pressed,

dont have a key switch, put a normal switch inside the coin door, and lock that,

or maybe use one of those finger print scanner mouses, only your prints start the machine up.....

or set the machine up with a start up sound that is your voice shouting '<name of kid> get off the machine now, goto your room with no dinner)  :lol

DJ_Izumi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 10:13:35 pm »
Ya know, this almost ties into the 'wireless keyboard in your cab' thread.  The best way may be just to have no real admin buttons on your CP other than 'On' and 'Off'.  So take away the keyboard and no one can screw with anything.  Well, assuming nothing on your CP is on a keyboard encoder and mapped to F2.

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 10:48:15 pm »

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 10:48:52 pm »

my kids are 1 and 3 years old, even on chairs they can't reach the power buttons :)