Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Paradise's Arcade Controller to USB - Any good?  (Read 8601 times)

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
Paradise's Arcade Controller to USB - Any good?
« on: October 14, 2010, 04:20:47 pm »
Anyone know if this product is any good?  I'm looking for a cheap solution for my 3rd vertical arcade unit and don't feel like spending money on another keyboard encoder.  Also kind of lazy to hack a USB controller when I can just use this.

Thoughts?

http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/24-arcade-controller-to-usb.html

D
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
Re: Paradise's Arcade Controller to USB - Any good?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 09:48:24 pm »
Whats the advantage over a keywiz for example?
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 03:28:43 am »
Major advantage is prob cost.   The disadvantage is less inputs and no mention of programability.  It also comes with a harness and connectors.

Domino

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2013, 08:56:34 am
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 06:55:13 am »
looks like a real interesting little thingy   :P

If anyone decides to buy one, please be sure to give a review  :)

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 12:49:57 pm »
I think I may give it a go.  With every new arcade machine I build I like to try something new.  I started with an ipac for my 1st, a Keywiz for my 2nd and now I figured I can try this for my 3rd.

I guess the major advantage is there are some games out there that don't work well with keyboard controls.  Street Fighter IV for example or Touhou Embodiment of Scarlet Devil or TMNT Battle for Nexus, etc.  Those usually require joysticks or a workaround 3rd party program like Joy2Key to trick the game into thinking the keyboad is a joystick.

I've tested my new arcade machine with a USB joystick and it seems to do the job well.  So again, I think I'm going to go for it.

I'll keep you guys posted.

D

IG-88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 08:44:50 pm »
Did you ever get one of these? How did it work?
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 09:26:14 pm »
Actually, no I didn't.  I chose this one instead:  Awecades Arcade32 Interface Controller (DELUXE VERSION)

It has a trackball/spinner interface built in too.  An all in one solution.  And not bad for a mere $34.99.  Plus the guy that makes it lives within 2 miles of me.  :)

I'll have a review of it once I have time to install it and such.  Not sure if I'm going to use it on my vertical build (no trackball on that machine), but I may use it for my next Horizontal machine I'm also working on.

Stay tuned.

DeLuSioNaL29

IG-88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 08:15:46 pm »
Hey that does look like a good deal. I may have to try one of those out. But if memory serves these were the guys I bought a Atari USB joystick from and it took over a year to get it. Makes me a little leery.....

Have you tried any joypad hacks lately?
-HarumaN

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 12:16:18 am »
It was probably because of the IC chip shortage from Atmel.  So it's the supplier, not him.  It's still out of stock there.  However, it says he has over 400 of these in stock.  I'll ask him when I see him.

D

taylormadelv

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2019, 05:46:59 pm
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 02:23:23 pm »
I just got one for an upcoming project. It is not installed yet. Lots of wires to deal with!
It's a joypad/joystick controller, not a keyboard encoder. I had to plug it in and play with mame tab settings to figure this out for myself. This could affect your desion to buy it if you plan on using a mala FE. mala seems to prefer keyboard controls for certain things...
It's nice to have all the wires precrimped and the grounds daisy chained. No stripping and crimping!
The PCB is tiny and can be hidden almost anywhere inside a cabinet or under a CP. I am a bit confused about what inputs are what and the info sheet that came with it also confused me a bit. But it does work without any issues so far. Beats the ipac price by alot if you add in international shipping and the extra CC international CC charge.
IMO the ipac is still the king of controllers. All the shift commands are standard out of the box. I also like how the inputs on  the ipac pcb are labeled so there's no guesswork on an ipac. It will take lots of programming to emulate the shift controls in mame on this thing but it can be done.

mattmayhem

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2011, 10:13:41 pm
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 07:27:46 pm »
I have one and I love it. Its a great setup and the price is unbeatable. Shipping to MD was 3 or 4 days, I cant remember, but it was fast. The quality is nice, I have been using it for a few weeks now (I use it every day for about 2 hours or more) and I have pressed every button I have (18) at the same time and there is no ghosting. Since it came pre-wired installing it was a breeze, every pin is mapped out (its on a sheet of paper or PDF file, not on the board itself) so its basically plug and play. There is a string of connectors for the ground, so you can basicly jump from one button to the next when wiring which makes it a lot easier to wire up. The only thing I had to change was the player 1 and player 2 for some reason were backwards (meaning P1 was really player 2 within windows and vice versa, the paper had them mapped backwards), and I had to lengthen a few wires for routing issues, but if all your buttons are in the CP you should be fine. The USB cable they give you with it is very long and will be enough to route where you need it.

All in all I give this product the following

4.8/5  Would had been a perfect score if the pins were labeled on the board itself instead of the paper (that can be lost), but at least there is a PDF on the website, and if the P1 and P2 were correctly labeled.

5/5 for function (no ghosting, windows recognizes it as a usb controller, so software to install)
5/5 for Easy installing (pre-wired, daisy chained ground for button to button hopping, all the connectors are already there)
5/5 for price

If you're into Psychobilly, check out my band

www.therecentlydeceased.com

MagicManPA

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2019, 04:35:43 pm
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 11:29:33 am »
I bought one, but have yet to install it. Hopefully, it gets working easily for me.

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 11:37:17 am »
I also ordered one of these for a bartop I'm building. It should arrive this week so hopefully I'll install it by the weekend. I tried hacking a PC joypad but the terminals were horrible to work with so I decided on this instead. The bartop was suppose to be a 1-player but I might have to cut a bigger panel and to make it a 2-player set up since I ordered this.

:cheers:

Rice Cube

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2016, 02:51:06 pm
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 08:37:01 pm »
so has anyone tried this product from paradise arcade? because i am thinking of getting one, but can i use it on an xbox 360?

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 06:20:05 pm »
Tried the 1 player version.  Review HERE