Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Switchres: modeline generator engine  (Read 349968 times)

bent98

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2019, 03:35:00 pm
  • Hyperspin Moderator
Re: Switchres modeline generator and emulator wrapper
« Reply #1240 on: April 28, 2011, 12:11:04 pm »
Calamity,

Is there a resolution I can just config in the ini folder to override what groovymame is selecting? I can just do it for frogger as an exception

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #1241 on: April 28, 2011, 12:32:21 pm »
Calamity,

Is there a resolution I can just config in the ini folder to override what groovymame is selecting? I can just do it for frogger as an exception

You could try forcing it with the param -resolution0 400x256@60
Also try -resolution0 384x256@60 to see if it makes any difference

Also would be interesting to try this while adding the param -nomodeline, to disable the modeline generator.

However, there's something really odd going on with frogger in your system. It's working right for me here testing in two systems at least with completely different setups... I don't know where the difference comes from, that's why I was suggesting those tests with different desktop resolutions.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #1242 on: April 29, 2011, 01:34:04 pm »
EDIT: I move this post here as I think it's clearer...

Well now actually -nomultithreading disables triplebuffering in the current patch when the refresh doesn't match.

-triplebuffer now needs to be manually enabled from mame.ini (which is good in my opinion as it's the less preferred option due to its input lag).

To use triplebuffer + throttle we'd need triplebuffer to be asynchronous, but that's only possible in a multithreading environment (that's why it's disabled by the patch if -nomultithreading). However, even with multithreading on we don't get a truly asynchronous triplebuffering if throttle is also on, unless we add this other patch I suggested here:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=106405.msg1179456#msg1179456

So with this last patch, you can use nosyncrefresh + multithreading + triplebuffer to be able to run 100% with no tearing even if the refresh doesn't match (at the cost of some frameskipping).

UPDATE: Anyway, the patch's internal logic still has its flaws, we still need to figure out a way to avoid the automatic activation of vsync if the user doesn't want to, even if the refresh matches (i.e., for 3D games, where the CPU reaches its limits), and activate triplebuffer instead, that leaves more time available to cpu that -syncrefresh.

The problem here is that we can make a fully automatic system to cover all situations according to our personal taste but then it gets difficult to customize unless we add specific options (bad).
Also, what we are trying to do here is to make -syncrefresh and -triplebuffer independent things, with a very specific behaviour for each of them, that makes more sense that the default implementations in Mame.

UPDATE2: I think this logic is way simplier and can cover all situations, not fully sure though:

Code: [Select]
IF ( RESULT_VFREQ_CHANGE && !syncrefresh ) || triplebuffer
    throttle 1
    waitvsync 0

ELSE
    throttle 0
    waitvsync 1

So with this one, triplebuffer has preference over syncrefresh, so if you enable triplebuffer then it automatically disables vsync. So triplebuffer should be disabled all the time, unless you want to enable it for a particular game (pacman, tekken, etc.), and then it would turn vsync off regardless multithreading state. This means that if multithreading is on, the game will run 100% (provided the patch I mentioned is eventually added), but if it's off, the game will run at the refresh speed.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 01:51:52 pm by Calamity »
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

ves

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2020, 02:57:49 am
« Reply #1243 on: May 08, 2011, 01:44:10 pm »
Hello, groovymame is that new?

I've already tried the latest version has not been very thoroughly, but I've seen that has solved the problems they had in mame when shown the options screen within the game, now seen in all games without problems, but I think you have not touched anything on linux, right? may be by amending the part of windows? or just be some bugs Version 14xU?
I need to prove if you have the same problems with the wiimote, tonight will try to prove it.

I upgraded Openppjoy to the kernel 2.6.38, and have asked permission to the operator so that it can include, so if you want to live next you can get.
I remember it as a kernel module that applies to code the keyboard or joystick to the parallel port with a very very basic circuit and costs 3 € or less  ;D

I created two openppjoy, the first one have update for the kernel.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G1WIBKNI

And the second is to have the default mame key.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0VABV6AK

Have you seen the patch for the wiimote?

Thanks.

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 02, 2019, 11:07:16 am
    • The Groovy Organization
« Reply #1244 on: May 09, 2011, 09:20:09 am »
Hello, groovymame is that new?

I've already tried the latest version has not been very thoroughly, but I've seen that has solved the problems they had in mame when shown the options screen within the game, now seen in all games without problems, but I think you have not touched anything on linux, right? may be by amending the part of windows? or just be some bugs Version 14xU?
I need to prove if you have the same problems with the wiimote, tonight will try to prove it.

I upgraded Openppjoy to the kernel 2.6.38, and have asked permission to the operator so that it can include, so if you want to live next you can get.
I remember it as a kernel module that applies to code the keyboard or joystick to the parallel port with a very very basic circuit and costs 3 € or less  ;D

I created two openppjoy, the first one have update for the kernel.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G1WIBKNI

And the second is to have the default mame key.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0VABV6AK

Have you seen the patch for the wiimote?

Thanks.

Ah yeah, the Linux ISO hasn't changed much lately since mostly just works and haven't had any big needs there while the Windows groovymame has needed more detailed work, although I think it's really becoming more stable too now.  I'll look at those other patches and parts for the remotes and joystick stuff soon when I can find more time.  Am in the process of moving to a new house, or getting ready to do that, so a lot of my free time has been taken up with focusing on that lately.  Might be a month before I am settled hopefully and can have a lot more time like before to do extra stuff besides the bug fixing quick things.
SwitchRes / GroovyMame - http://arcade.groovy.org
Modeline Generator and Mame Wrapper for Windows or Linux
LiveCD of Groovy Arcade Linux for Arcade Monitors
GroovyMame - generate arcade resolutions like advancemame
--
The Groovy Organization

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1245 on: May 11, 2011, 09:30:54 am »
Hi, I upload the new arcade mame key module and I had an error when assigning the second player keys.
I tried it and it works great, if you include the arcade module, I think it would be better to include this that has the default mame key and use it as a keyboard and not as a joystick.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7NYEFWSC

Greetings.

MonkeyJug

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2024, 07:28:20 am
« Reply #1246 on: May 14, 2011, 04:05:01 am »
new chassis on the way!

http://www.giz10p.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=326

can't wait to start tinkering again!

hopefully this will resolve my polarity problems as well... :)

Update:

The chassis arrived, but was faulty.  It worked ok, but the screen was shaking very slightly, as if there was interference.  I sent it back and it was diagnosed as faulty.

On a more positive note, I am now the proud owner of a Wells Gardner D9200 and I have to say the picture quality compared to the Wei-Ya or the Rodotron is like night and day.  I wasn't cheap, but definitely worth it!  At least now GroovyMame will be running at it's finest!

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1247 on: May 14, 2011, 11:10:18 am »
Hello bitbytebit,the logs will go above 1.58 was the version that I thought was the last or so places in the git, but in no other more modern web of 1.60, these are the errors I found in version 1.60

manual partitioning, OK INSTALLATION

sda1 root
roms sda2
sda3 swap

manual partition does not create create. bash_profile, not start Xorg or gasetup by default, do not mount the roms particones or home, nor include them in fstab.

sda1 root
sda2 home
roms sda3
sda4 swap

automatic partitioning, if you have previous partitions, partition error because they are mounted, iif I delete the partitions fail again, until you restart gasetup or pc, grub error.

Automatic partitions with disk clean, OK INSTALLATION

Do not change the option setxkbmap us, a different language from the xinitrc file.

I need to check the controls of the wii if they have improved their performance in this version and see if the options screen when you are playing you can see well.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 11:14:28 am by ves »

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1248 on: May 14, 2011, 12:34:10 pm »
Hello bitbytebit,the logs will go above 1.58 was the version that I thought was the last or so places in the git, but in no other more modern web of 1.60, these are the errors I found in version 1.60

manual partitioning, OK INSTALLATION

sda1 root
roms sda2
sda3 swap

manual partition does not create create. bash_profile, not start Xorg or gasetup by default, do not mount the roms particones or home, nor include them in fstab.

sda1 root
sda2 home
roms sda3
sda4 swap

automatic partitioning, if you have previous partitions, partition error because they are mounted, iif I delete the partitions fail again, until you restart gasetup or pc, grub error.

Automatic partitions with disk clean, OK INSTALLATION

Do not change the option setxkbmap us, a different language from the xinitrc file.

I need to check the controls of the wii if they have improved their performance in this version and see if the options screen when you are playing you can see well.

Thanks.

Yeah the home directory setup needs some fixing to work right with installation, I haven't had time to dive in and redo how that works to fix the issues.  Definitely need to go in and make it so partitions can be used mixed with automatic partitioning, but it'll need a redesign somewhat of how it all works to  fix manual partitioning and merge with automatic partitioning ability.  So waiting till when I have more time, probably not for a month or so before I can get around to it.  Been busy getting ready to move to a new house, and work has been busy too, so I'm waiting till in the new house to have more free time for this big of overhaul of the partitioning system.  It's really complicated when you have manual setup mixed with a home directory for the install, or automatic partitioning chosen then after doing that, lots of different things to consider and deal with in the setup script for all the possibilities.  It's a lot easier just knowing automatic partitioning is used, the other use cases are going to be quite complicated since partly to partition I have to run fdisk in quite a tricky way by script with the letters input so it has to be exact to what needs to be done.  The more use cases you get, the less likely that'll be as easy to do.
--
The Groovy Organization

MonkeyJug

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1249 on: May 16, 2011, 03:04:18 am »
bitbytebit, could you explain how i change permissions in my roms/snap hard disk?

I want to keep my hi-scores, nvram and cfg folders on that hard disk so it will be safer in case of any future updates.  At the minute, i have set the correct path in mame.ini, but if i try to change dip-switches in a game, its not saving the changes because if i go into file manager and try to delete the nvram file, it says the disk is read-only (30)...

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1250 on: May 16, 2011, 07:06:18 am »
bitbytebit, could you explain how i change permissions in my roms/snap hard disk?

I want to keep my hi-scores, nvram and cfg folders on that hard disk so it will be safer in case of any future updates.  At the minute, i have set the correct path in mame.ini, but if i try to change dip-switches in a game, its not saving the changes because if i go into file manager and try to delete the nvram file, it says the disk is read-only (30)...
The configuration settings which you have to write to, have to be on a read/write mounted drive.  So it can't be NTFS based or Windows partitions for XP/Win7/Vista/NT/200X etc.   Only Linux or DOS/Win32 based partitions unfortunately.  It's a Linux limitation that NTFS can't be written to, it's read only, because Microsoft doesn't give out the information on how it works to be able to write to it safely without corruption.  There are technically ways out there to write to it outside of Windows but they are dangerous and can lose your entire NTFS drive with simply writing to the wrong part of the drive I guess.  So they don't even try in Linux because of that.

I'd recommend having a separate usb flash drive for the writable stuff, or a separate drive in the computer possibly. 
--
The Groovy Organization

MonkeyJug

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1251 on: May 17, 2011, 01:29:10 pm »
cheers for the reply.  i figured it would be the case after i posted that...

on a separate note, i have now decided to use Wah!Cade as my front-end, but it will not launch roms.  i get a grey square briefly, and then nothing...

i have assigned the rom path in the wah!cade setup, but i have a feeling i have to set it somewhere else too, as was the case with advancemenu...

i followed this guide: http://www.anti-particle.com/wahcade_quick.shtml

but obviously some things are different, such as the following paragraph:

(obviously change "pacman" for a rom you know you have). If you get errors then you probably need to edit your ~/.xmame/xmamerc or ~/.xmame/xmame-x11rc files

can you help me out?

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1252 on: May 17, 2011, 01:33:06 pm »
cheers for the reply.  i figured it would be the case after i posted that...

on a separate note, i have now decided to use Wah!Cade as my front-end, but it will not launch roms.  i get a grey square briefly, and then nothing...

i have assigned the rom path in the wah!cade setup, but i have a feeling i have to set it somewhere else too, as was the case with advancemenu...

i followed this guide: http://www.anti-particle.com/wahcade_quick.shtml

but obviously some things are different, such as the following paragraph:

(obviously change "pacman" for a rom you know you have). If you get errors then you probably need to edit your ~/.xmame/xmamerc or ~/.xmame/xmame-x11rc files

can you help me out?

With wahcade you may want to fully erase the /home/arcade/.wahcade directory and then run the wahcade-setup program.  Wahcade seems really bad about changing the settings after you've setup your roms the first time, so it might need to be done from scratch. 
--
The Groovy Organization

MonkeyJug

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1253 on: May 17, 2011, 03:01:13 pm »
just tried a fresh install...

the emulator.log file inside the .wahcade folder shows:

command from wah!cade is:
   /usr/local/bin/switchres 10yard

sh: mame: command not found
error getting xml info for mame from 10yard
unknown rom for mame and mess 10yard

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1254 on: May 17, 2011, 03:44:37 pm »
just tried a fresh install...

the emulator.log file inside the .wahcade folder shows:

command from wah!cade is:
   /usr/local/bin/switchres 10yard

sh: mame: command not found
error getting xml info for mame from 10yard
unknown rom for mame and mess 10yard

Oh odd, the switchres command shouldn't be used, you want it to point to /usr/games/bin/groovymame actually instead.  I'm not sure why it's setting that path up, it shouldn't reference switchres at all.  In the newest ISO it shouldn't reference it anymore besides for the other emulators other than mame.  The default setup should have the groovymame reference correct. 
--
The Groovy Organization

MonkeyJug

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1255 on: May 17, 2011, 03:58:10 pm »
perfect!

btw, i was using the 1.560 version, so you may want to have a look at it when you find the time...

good luck with the house-move!

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1256 on: May 17, 2011, 04:08:41 pm »
perfect!

btw, i was using the 1.560 version, so you may want to have a look at it when you find the time...

good luck with the house-move!
Thanks!  Yeah that's weird that it pulled up the switchres setting that way, can't find a single way it would but I guess I'm going to have to look closer since it must be somewhere still in the wahcade setup stuff.
--
The Groovy Organization

MonkeyJug

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1257 on: May 18, 2011, 03:13:56 pm »
just a quick one...

i now have a d9200 monitor.  out of curiousity, i tried running with the d9800 preset, and alot of the vertical shooters looked a lot crisper.

an example of this is esp.ra.de.  with the d9200 preset, it has a bit of flicker as if the refresh rate is wrong (enough to probably give you a headache if you were to have some prolonged play at it), and it doesn't look quite right.  according to the osd, it is displaying at 15.9khz and 57hz.

when i try the same game with the d9800 preset, it looks amazingly crisp and just how i think it should be.  absolutely no flicker.  according to the osd, it is displaying at 20.4khz and 57hz.

could you have a look when you get the chance and see what frequency and refresh it is displaying for you?  can you see any 'flicker' with that game.  perhaps, you could also try the d9200 preset and compare the two...

according to the d9200 manual, the tolerance levels are +/- 1.8khz, so 20.4khz would place it outside those tolerance levels, so i'm not sure if it is damaging my monitor (although it is very tempting to play it because of how good it looks!)

cheers...

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1258 on: May 18, 2011, 03:17:54 pm »
just a quick one...

i now have a d9200 monitor.  out of curiousity, i tried running with the d9800 preset, and alot of the vertical shooters looked a lot crisper.

an example of this is esp.ra.de.  with the d9200 preset, it has a bit of flicker as if the refresh rate is wrong (enough to probably give you a headache if you were to have some prolonged play at it), and it doesn't look quite right.  according to the osd, it is displaying at 15.9khz and 57hz.

when i try the same game with the d9800 preset, it looks amazingly crisp and just how i think it should be.  absolutely no flicker.  according to the osd, it is displaying at 20.4khz and 57hz.

could you have a look when you get the chance and see what frequency and refresh it is displaying for you?  can you see any 'flicker' with that game.  perhaps, you could also try the d9200 preset and compare the two...

according to the d9200 manual, the tolerance levels are +/- 1.8khz, so 20.4khz would place it outside those tolerance levels, so i'm not sure if it is damaging my monitor (although it is very tempting to play it because of how good it looks!)

cheers...

Interesting, well it sounds like the d9200 can physically handle the whole range of khz like the d9800 can.  Definitely not good though to do that if it is a problem technically, which you could ask the Wells gardner support guy through email.  I asked him about the d9800 and he said it could do this, but didn't ask him about the d9200.  Let us know what he says, I'm curious, would be cool if we really could just have one single preset for both monitors.  I do know the d9200 can have some issues internally, so hopefully it doesn't push it over the edge using the d9800 setting.  So I'd definitely check with him to make sure, he's always been very quick to respond to my emails.
--
The Groovy Organization

MonkeyJug

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1259 on: May 19, 2011, 02:24:07 am »
i fired off an email today, so i'll let you know when i get a reply...

in the meantime, if you get a chance, could you run esp.da.re through both presets for the d9200 and d9800 and let me know what frequency/refresh it is syncing at?

i'm interested if you get the 'flicker' with the d9200 preset, because something just ain't right...

MonkeyJug

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1260 on: May 19, 2011, 10:23:09 am »
hi bitbytebit...

just to clarify, i am getting those frequencies/refreshes when trying to play esp.ra.de on a horizontal monitor.

i tried setting the monitor as vertical, and running the game using both d9200 and d9800 presets and it is syncing at 15.0khz (d9200) and 15.1khz (d9800), and the screen is drop-dead gorgeous on both.

just out of interest, do you rotate your monitor for vertical games, or do you play all games horizontally?

it seems like the problem i'm having is due to running esp.ra.de (and some other vertical shooters) on the screen horizontal, because i tried running a few horizontal games, when the monitor set to vertical and the same 'flicker' is happening.

i feel like i have no choice but to get another cab and permanently mount it vertically!

also, i heard back from John at Wells Gardner.  i had to give him the exact model number of my d9200 (WGM2792-U5FS04E), because it seems there are a few different types and all are different, spec-wise...

he said:

Mark as you can see this model will operate at 800X600 and as for the 20.4khz you should have no problem with that frequency.

he forwarded a document relating to my monitor with various porch/pulse values.  could this be of interest to you, bitbytebit?  seems like it can sync through the whole range...

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1261 on: May 19, 2011, 10:38:42 am »
hi bitbytebit...

just to clarify, i am getting those frequencies/refreshes when trying to play esp.ra.de on a horizontal monitor.

i tried setting the monitor as vertical, and running the game using both d9200 and d9800 presets and it is syncing at 15.0khz (d9200) and 15.1khz (d9800), and the screen is drop-dead gorgeous on both.

just out of interest, do you rotate your monitor for vertical games, or do you play all games horizontally?

it seems like the problem i'm having is due to running esp.ra.de (and some other vertical shooters) on the screen horizontal, because i tried running a few horizontal games, when the monitor set to vertical and the same 'flicker' is happening.

i feel like i have no choice but to get another cab and permanently mount it vertically!

also, i heard back from John at Wells Gardner.  i had to give him the exact model number of my d9200 (WGM2792-U5FS04E), because it seems there are a few different types and all are different, spec-wise...

he said:

Mark as you can see this model will operate at 800X600 and as for the 20.4khz you should have no problem with that frequency.

he forwarded a document relating to my monitor with various porch/pulse values.  could this be of interest to you, bitbytebit?  seems like it can sync through the whole range...
I just run horizontal on my d9800, it's too big to rotate :).  Yeah I guess he's saying then that it's the same as the d9800 and really should just use that as your monitor type.  Definitely interesting, had wondered that, I had thought the d9800 was different but looks like everyone has misjudged the d9200 all along and it was able to be as flexible with khz ranges.  I have seen those documents, they sent me ones for the d9800 and there's the d9200 ones on their website.  Yeah I wish I had a separate vertical cabinet too, although the room for it and the wife would kill me probably for getting one.  Hopefully I can get a tabletop setup with this 19" CGA I have sooner or later and use that vertically/horizontally just by moving to the side instead of physically rotating it.
--
The Groovy Organization

MonkeyJug

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1262 on: May 19, 2011, 10:40:47 am »
update:

the document initially only showed the porch/pulse settings for VGA, so i asked him for the porch/pulse settings for all the resolutions and he replied again saying "Mark, here are the resolution for the D9800 which are the same as your D9200 version."

it seems like my d9200, which is one of the later manufactured (May 2005), is pretty much a d9800 disguised as a d9200!  i'm delighted!

here's the document he sent, you probably already have it...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7485094/D9800%20res.%20modes.PDF

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1263 on: May 19, 2011, 11:54:15 am »
Hi, I've managed to finish the patch mameWiimote the 142 version, I have to test it on real machine to verify that everything works fine, then I pass the files so that you perform on the new version.

I have only one doubt, is that this patch is based on the events that created the bluethoo when you sync the wiimote, and not remain fixed, there is some way to events that are created are permanent and referring to the wiimote?

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1264 on: May 21, 2011, 09:02:53 am »
Bitbytebit Hi, here's the diff, files and modified to use the Wiimote as a gun, I have tested on ubuntu and everything works perfectly, now I'm compiling for use in the real machine.
I just need to see if I can modify the mame source code to change the order of the mouse buttons on the gun because it must be configured for each game shooting gun.

How to make work.

Edit Xorg.conf

Section "ServerLayout"
   InputDevice    "WiiMote0"
   InputDevice    "WiiMote1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier "WiiMote0"
   Driver "evdev"
   Option "Device" "/dev/input/event4"
   Option "SendCoreEvents" "True"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier "WiiMote0"
   Driver "evdev"
   Option "Device" "/dev/input/event5"
   Option "SendCoreEvents" "True"
EndSection

Remember that eventX have to put that match your wiimote.
Before putting the bluetooth watch /dev/input/, then put bluetooth and sync the wiimote,and see the new events, these are the ones who have to put.

Edit mame.ini

joystick                    0
lightgun                   1

lightgun_device           lightgun
mouse_device              lightgun

lightgun_index1           WiiMote0
lightgun_index2           WiiMote1
lightgun_index3           auto
lightgun_index4           auto
lightgun_index5           auto
lightgun_index6           auto
lightgun_index7           auto
lightgun_index8           auto
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 09:07:10 am by ves »

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1265 on: June 04, 2011, 08:37:23 am »
Hello bitbytebit, I saw that there are several more errors in the configuration of the network card, to configure the card does not change this configuration, as does the ifconfig ethX donw or service.

Not if gasetup failure or not, but when you configure the boot lxde says not installed, it has removed or is it a bug?

You should include in packages are groovymame joystick xf86-input-joystick and input-utils.
(Now do not remember but I think it is necessary to use the Wiimote as a gun, because I was doing several Proofs for it to work and one of these was to install the packages)

I've tried the wiimote and I must say it works really well, there are no blocking issues, earthquakes etc ...
To succeed, I had to change the configuration files in the ir_ptrX cwiid the option mamebuttons by the original buttons, there is any conflict with that configuration.

About what we talked a while. takes less time to load gentoo, I've been looking to use the upstart debian etc, but this package is not in gentoo, since it represents a big change (bad luck), I looked in arch linux and not have it, but your boot is faster, and I think it's because things like load more modules in the kernel itself, (correct me if I'm wrong) you could compile the kernel so that charged at less stuff by default by setting only the basics and everything else that put as modules?

I forgot to comment that arch linux mkinitcpio used to optimize the creation and loading of initrd, leaving only what you need our PC, and thus takes less time to load.

I've been looking at guides to optimize gentoo changing values ​​etc. .. but I have given little or no results, but still leave you the link if you think you can claim for anything.

With respect to the boot image, I think the best option would be to use plymouth, we could have animations etc and it seems easy to use.

You thought your in groovyarcade migrate to arch linux, because it is much more friendly when installing or upgrading to gentoo?

Well I hope not to get tired a lot, are just notes that I wanted to discuss with you.

Thank.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 08:53:54 am by ves »

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1266 on: June 05, 2011, 04:36:19 pm »
Hello bitbytebit, I saw that there are several more errors in the configuration of the network card, to configure the card does not change this configuration, as does the ifconfig ethX donw or service.

Not if gasetup failure or not, but when you configure the boot lxde says not installed, it has removed or is it a bug?

You should include in packages are groovymame joystick xf86-input-joystick and input-utils.
(Now do not remember but I think it is necessary to use the Wiimote as a gun, because I was doing several Proofs for it to work and one of these was to install the packages)

I've tried the wiimote and I must say it works really well, there are no blocking issues, earthquakes etc ...
To succeed, I had to change the configuration files in the ir_ptrX cwiid the option mamebuttons by the original buttons, there is any conflict with that configuration.

About what we talked a while. takes less time to load gentoo, I've been looking to use the upstart debian etc, but this package is not in gentoo, since it represents a big change (bad luck), I looked in arch linux and not have it, but your boot is faster, and I think it's because things like load more modules in the kernel itself, (correct me if I'm wrong) you could compile the kernel so that charged at less stuff by default by setting only the basics and everything else that put as modules?

I forgot to comment that arch linux mkinitcpio used to optimize the creation and loading of initrd, leaving only what you need our PC, and thus takes less time to load.

I've been looking at guides to optimize gentoo changing values ​​etc. .. but I have given little or no results, but still leave you the link if you think you can claim for anything.

With respect to the boot image, I think the best option would be to use plymouth, we could have animations etc and it seems easy to use.

You thought your in groovyarcade migrate to arch linux, because it is much more friendly when installing or upgrading to gentoo?

Well I hope not to get tired a lot, are just notes that I wanted to discuss with you.

Thank.

The newest builds don't contain lxde, were smaller to allow quicker uploads.  Also avoiding adding extra packages for the X windows joystick and other input devices, but will look at that in the future.  Booting slower is the compromise so that everyones systems will work, otherwise without loading all the modules some systems wouldn't work.  To get a fast bootup, would require only the specific kernel modules for your system to be loaded, it's a custom setup, would have to know about trimming down the Linux kernel.  Right now it works, for most everyone, but slower than a streamlined trimmed system.  Would be nice to eventually address that, but it's a lot of work most likely.  Arch Linux is interesting, but I suspect it's not best to move to it because I know Gentoo so well and in general the system should be a drop in working system, so moving to a new system wouldn't really help the end user and just require more work for me :).  Yeah thanks for input, I've been so busy I can't really focus on working on stuff right now.  Actually I'm happy with the state of things for the most part, all the additional things for now are just extra stuff it seems, and currently so busy with my moving into and working on getting my new house setup there's no time for extra work (besides my normal job :)).
--
The Groovy Organization

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #1267 on: June 08, 2011, 11:25:41 pm »
reposted elsewhere
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 02:30:42 pm by Gray_Area »
-Banned-

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:28:32 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
Re: Switchres: modeline generator engine
« Reply #1268 on: September 01, 2011, 03:40:14 pm »
Can someone please tell me what arguments I need to run groovymame with to generate modelines for missing video modes? Also it would be very nice if these could be listed in the first post, as this is now a 30+ pages thread. I'm running GroovyMAME in Windows with Soft15kHz. I went to the groovy website, but there's not much info there about the Windows usage.

By "arguments" I mean command line if there's any confusion. :)

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #1269 on: September 02, 2011, 05:11:30 am »
Can someone please tell me what arguments I need to run groovymame with to generate modelines for missing video modes? Also it would be very nice if these could be listed in the first post, as this is now a 30+ pages thread. I'm running GroovyMAME in Windows with Soft15kHz. I went to the groovy website, but there's not much info there about the Windows usage.

You can use a line like this:

groovymame toki -monitor cga -v -md 4 >toki.txt

Then open toki.txt and line 18 should contain this:

SwitchRes: ModeLine          "256x224x59.61" 5.127413 256 272 296 336 224 231 234 256 -HSync -VSync

...which is the modeline GroovyMAME has calculated for the monitor type we entered (cga). GroovyMAME won't be able to add that modeline if you're using a nVidia card but you can copy it and use Soft15KHz to add it to the system.

Steps to create a log:

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:28:32 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #1270 on: September 02, 2011, 01:16:14 pm »

You can use a line like this:

groovymame toki -monitor cga -v -md 4 >toki.txt

Then open toki.txt and line 18 should contain this:

SwitchRes: ModeLine          "256x224x59.61" 5.127413 256 272 296 336 224 231 234 256 -HSync -VSync

...which is the modeline GroovyMAME has calculated for the monitor type we entered (cga). GroovyMAME won't be able to add that modeline if you're using a nVidia card but you can copy it and use Soft15KHz to add it to the system.

Awesome, thanks!

Monkee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2018, 09:37:30 am
« Reply #1271 on: January 05, 2013, 09:06:18 am »
A stupid question: concerning the choice of the GPU, you said that an old ATI Radeon card, any model from Radeon 7000 to the HD 4xxx family works but does mods of those cards (by MSI and other manufacturers) works also ?

I'm thinking about buying this one: http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00127113.html but I don't want to realize afterwards that it's not working !  :-\

jvlk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2013, 08:44:24 am
« Reply #1272 on: January 08, 2013, 04:06:56 pm »
A stupid question: concerning the choice of the GPU, you said that an old ATI Radeon card, any model from Radeon 7000 to the HD 4xxx family works but does mods of those cards (by MSI and other manufacturers) works also ?

I'm thinking about buying this one: http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00127113.html but I don't want to realize afterwards that it's not working !  :-\

Yes it will work.

Monkee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1273 on: January 08, 2013, 04:14:53 pm »
Thanks jvlk !  ;)

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2018, 08:59:56 pm
« Reply #1274 on: February 11, 2013, 08:20:49 pm »
Not sure if this belongs here, but is there any reason why building the latest versions of Switchres in linux always causes a Segmentation Fault?  I want to be able to use the newer features to see if there's any improvement on my Linux install, but the segfault issue puts a stint in that.
It doesn't matter how bad things are, it'll work out in the end.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #1275 on: February 12, 2013, 06:09:25 pm »
Not sure if this belongs here, but is there any reason why building the latest versions of Switchres in linux always causes a Segmentation Fault?  I want to be able to use the newer features to see if there's any improvement on my Linux install, but the segfault issue puts a stint in that.

Do you mean this version?: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,128879.msg1327817.html#msg1327817
Did you apply Ansa89's patch? Is it the same segmentation fault?
Steps to create a log:

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2018, 08:59:56 pm
« Reply #1276 on: February 13, 2013, 12:43:37 am »
Yeah, got it applied (and even downloaded and re-compiled the zip posted that stated it was patched).  All is fine in terms of usage.  Now back to debugging kernel issues.
It doesn't matter how bad things are, it'll work out in the end.

Monkee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1277 on: October 11, 2013, 12:10:38 pm »
Can anyone tell me if the Sapphire VAPOR-X HD 4890 2 Gb works well with Calamity's drivers and everything that goes with it for the 15khz and modeline coolness?  ;D

Oh and also if it's worth having this 2Gb HD 4890 model compared to another HD 4890 1Gb classic model?

Thanks!

machyavel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2016, 10:23:52 am
« Reply #1278 on: October 11, 2013, 12:52:04 pm »
I have a 4870 (asus) and it works perfectly well, I suppose a 4890 should not differ in that regard.
1GB is largely enough for mame usage.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #1279 on: May 07, 2014, 05:16:58 pm »
==============================
Update 5-7-2014 - Version 1.51
==============================

- Fixed segmentation fault when using some presets (lcd, k7000).
- New monitor presets:
  * pc_31_120: a preset for 120Hz capable PC CRT monitors, at 31kHz (VGA).
  * pc_70_120: same as pc_31_120, but for monitors capable of up to 70kH (SXGA).
  * r666b: Rodotron 666B-29

Note: both 32 and 64 bit binaries are provided as 'switchres32' and 'switchres64'
Remind renaming the one you need as 'switchres' if you use it with Groovy Arcade.

Steps to create a log: