Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Switchres: modeline generator engine  (Read 345536 times)

ves

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2020, 02:57:49 am
Re: Switchres arcade monitor modeline generator and mame wrapper
« Reply #720 on: January 26, 2011, 09:50:19 am »
Hello bitbytebit, I can not download the new version, I've tried from different places and always low iso with a size of 400 to 600 kb, you know if sourceforge problem or your file?

Because iso grown so much that you included?
Another thing I do not know if you will have already been made would be the usbmount, putting advmenu mame and a second path and snap roms, it would be easier for many people, one would have to put a usb and snap roms folder.

Thanks.

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 02, 2019, 11:07:16 am
    • The Groovy Organization
« Reply #721 on: January 26, 2011, 10:20:05 am »
Hello bitbytebit, I can not download the new version, I've tried from different places and always low iso with a size of 400 to 600 kb, you know if sourceforge problem or your file?

Another thing I do not know if you will have already been made would be the usbmount, putting advmenu mame and a second path and snap roms, it would be easier for many people, one would have to put a usb and snap roms folder.

Thanks.

Ah it's an issue with the sourceforge site, I've opened a trouble ticket with them, hopefully I don't have to re-upload and they'll fix it.  I'll let you know when they work again.

The /data/ directory essentially can be a USB drive, it can be anything mountable like that.
SwitchRes / GroovyMame - http://arcade.groovy.org
Modeline Generator and Mame Wrapper for Windows or Linux
LiveCD of Groovy Arcade Linux for Arcade Monitors
GroovyMame - generate arcade resolutions like advancemame
--
The Groovy Organization

dapsaille

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2019, 01:31:26 am
« Reply #722 on: January 26, 2011, 11:19:25 am »

Thanks.

Ah it's an issue with the sourceforge site, I've opened a trouble ticket with them, hopefully I don't have to re-upload and they'll fix it.  I'll let you know when they work again.

The /data/ directory essentially can be a USB drive, it can be anything mountable like that.

I hope they will fix it quickly
i really want to test your new kernel with my "Anti-Linux Laptop" and i'ts afwull rs690 ati card (no sync or out of sync even in ubuntu livecd on a standard lcd monitor)

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #723 on: January 26, 2011, 12:13:51 pm »

Thanks.

I hope they will fix it quickly
i really want to test your new kernel with my "Anti-Linux Laptop" and i'ts afwull rs690 ati card (no sync or out of sync even in ubuntu livecd on a standard lcd monitor)

Yeah I'm getting a new place to host the files from the place I have doing my email now, so will have a new download site here in a bit hopefully, guessing it'll be a few hours for them to setup then I'll start uploading there (and that may be a few more hours, but hopefully this time the files will work afterwards and I won't have to do it again). 
--
The Groovy Organization

dapsaille

• Offline Offline
« Reply #724 on: January 26, 2011, 02:17:12 pm »
hehe ...

I've got a question regarding the display management ...

Do you rely on kms for make xorg work at 15khz or can it be desactivated ?

I ask this because it seems that kms is the culprit for my out of sync on my damn laptop.

If Xorg can work without kms it will permit me to use more driver options to try to solve my problem.

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #725 on: January 26, 2011, 02:41:30 pm »
hehe ...

I ask this because it seems that kms is the culprit for my out of sync on my damn laptop.

If Xorg can work without kms it will permit me to use more driver options to try to solve my problem.
For the console support, yes it's the KMS part that allows that, it can be disabled through a command line to the kernel.  I think it's adding radeon.modeset=0 that would disable it.  I'm not sure what that will fully do on this setup but definitely interesting to try.  I do know though it'll not allow vsync to work, that only works with KMS unfortunately and also the Xorg userspace driver for the radeon is being depreciated and so they are trying to move everything newer to KMS now.  It's interesting, the main thing KMS does is work directly with the radeon Atom BIOS on the radeon, so essentially really uses the card GPU instead of the older ways they sort of hacked at the card through the X driver in userspace.  So this is an rs690 ATI card, I'd be interested in more details on it lik lspci -v output, Xorg.0.log files from it working / not working, dmesg logs of what it says about it for the drm messages.  Seems like it in theory should work, but then again KMS does have some oddities I've seen with certain ATI cards still like this x850 crossfire one I have seems to not like KMS (really doesn't like anything, I don't even use it and wonder if it even would work in Windows since it has the freaky breakout cable requirement that I don't have and no one sells anymore).
--
The Groovy Organization

dapsaille

• Offline Offline
« Reply #726 on: January 26, 2011, 03:07:44 pm »
hehe ...

For the console support, yes it's the KMS part that allows that, it can be disabled through a command line to the kernel.  I think it's adding radeon.modeset=0 that would disable it.  I'm not sure what that will fully do on this setup but definitely interesting to try.  I do know though it'll not allow vsync to work, that only works with KMS unfortunately and also the Xorg userspace driver for the radeon is being depreciated and so they are trying to move everything newer to KMS now.  It's interesting, the main thing KMS does is work directly with the radeon Atom BIOS on the radeon, so essentially really uses the card GPU instead of the older ways they sort of hacked at the card through the X driver in userspace.  So this is an rs690 ATI card, I'd be interested in more details on it lik lspci -v output, Xorg.0.log files from it working / not working, dmesg logs of what it says about it for the drm messages.  Seems like it in theory should work, but then again KMS does have some oddities I've seen with certain ATI cards still like this x850 crossfire one I have seems to not like KMS (really doesn't like anything, I don't even use it and wonder if it even would work in Windows since it has the freaky breakout cable requirement that I don't have and no one sells anymore).

I will check tomorrow without KMS but if i remember Xorg was out of sync too, it seems that it may be a "hardware feature" from Toshiba ^^

For the cable breakout .... a vga to scart homemade did the job (it works under windows so i hope that the cable is not the culprit regarding to this out of sync problem)

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #727 on: January 26, 2011, 05:28:17 pm »
All the files are moving to http://mario.groovy.org/GroovyArcade/ and all are uploaded (new version of Switchres is up) except the ISO images which are uploading now and should be there in a few hours hopefully.  Sourceforge is being weird, I can't even access the ssh/sftp there now, I guess they did some upgrade a few days ago and I am guessing that is what caused all the issues.  Hopefully now the files when uploaded will all be downloadable and not the first 128k or so :/.
--
The Groovy Organization

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #728 on: January 26, 2011, 06:25:25 pm »
I'm testing this new patch to see if it helps reducing input lag while fixing the multithreading + vsync issue.

Code: [Select]
diff -Nru a/src/osd/windows/drawdd.c b/src/osd/windows/drawdd.c
--- a/src/osd/windows/drawdd.c 2010-12-02 18:26:38.000000000 +0100
+++ b/src/osd/windows/drawdd.c 2011-01-26 23:04:27.000000000 +0100
@@ -457,7 +457,7 @@
  if (result != DD_OK) mame_printf_verbose("DirectDraw: Error %08X unlocking blit surface\n", (int)result);

// sync to VBLANK
- if ((video_config.waitvsync || video_config.syncrefresh) && window->machine->video().throttled() && (!window->fullscreen || dd->back == NULL))
+ if ((video_config.waitvsync || video_config.syncrefresh) && (!window->fullscreen || dd->back == NULL))
  {
  result = IDirectDraw7_WaitForVerticalBlank(dd->ddraw, DDWAITVB_BLOCKBEGIN, NULL);
  if (result != DD_OK) mame_printf_verbose("DirectDraw: Error %08X waiting for VBLANK\n", (int)result);
diff -Nru a/src/osd/windows/window.c b/src/osd/windows/window.c
--- a/src/osd/windows/window.c 2010-12-02 18:26:38.000000000 +0100
+++ b/src/osd/windows/window.c 2011-01-26 23:04:27.000000000 +0100
@@ -775,7 +775,15 @@
  last_update_time = timeGetTime();
  mtlog_add("winwindow_video_window_update: PostMessage start");
  if (multithreading_enabled)
- PostMessage(window->hwnd, WM_USER_REDRAW, 0, (LPARAM)primlist);
+ {
+ if ((video_config.waitvsync || video_config.syncrefresh) && video_config.mode != VIDEO_MODE_GDI)
+ {
+ window->primlist = primlist;
+ draw_video_contents(window, NULL, FALSE);
+ }
+ else
+ PostMessage(window->hwnd, WM_USER_REDRAW, 0, (LPARAM)primlist);
+ }
  else
  SendMessage(window->hwnd, WM_USER_REDRAW, 0, (LPARAM)primlist);
  mtlog_add("winwindow_video_window_update: PostMessage end");

It is intended to be run with syncrefresh, nothrottle, notriplebuffer, multithreading.

Basically it tries to prove if doing the blit in the main thread helps at all to reduce input lag by leaving the window thread free to process input events. So in theory this should be the same that only using throttle (from lag point of view).

I'm testing it here and well... it feels good but not sure if it makes any difference. Tomorrow I'll upload a binary and hopefully your more experienced eyes can judge.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #729 on: January 26, 2011, 11:34:40 pm »
All the files are moving to http://mario.groovy.org/GroovyArcade/ and all are uploaded (new version of Switchres is up) except the ISO images which are uploading now and should be there in a few hours hopefully.  Sourceforge is being weird, I can't even access the ssh/sftp there now, I guess they did some upgrade a few days ago and I am guessing that is what caused all the issues.  Hopefully now the files when uploaded will all be downloadable and not the first 128k or so :/.
These are all uploaded to the new site now, all should be back to normal.
--
The Groovy Organization

dapsaille

• Offline Offline
« Reply #730 on: January 27, 2011, 01:24:52 pm »
Thanks

i trying it now, it's really better for me to download from this new mirror because i've got 2 really slowwww connections in load balancing mode, sourceforge was awfull , no resume, no segmented downloads :/

I've seen that World Rally seems free, do you think that you can include it  = http://www.gaelco.com/english/pages/hablando/frhablan.htm  (ok, it's not really a new feature but it could be cool ^^)

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #731 on: January 27, 2011, 01:34:44 pm »
Thanks

i trying it now, it's really better for me to download from this new mirror because i've got 2 really slowwww connections in load balancing mode, sourceforge was awfull , no resume, no segmented downloads :/

I've seen that World Rally seems free, do you think that you can include it  = http://www.gaelco.com/english/pages/hablando/frhablan.htm  (ok, it's not really a new feature but it could be cool ^^)

Sure, I put wrally.zip from their website in the roms folder so will be on the future ISO images. 

Yeah I think uploading to the new website even seems better to me, didn't break the connection and was more consistent speedwise.  I used the same place I have my domain hosted from, was cheap and unlimited bandwidth with 10Gig for a four dollars a month.  Can't beat that, especially when it is a lot nicer service now that's guaranteed.   Sourceforge GIT is good, still working, but currently I still can't upload to the sourceforge site and they are still busy trying to fix things.  I guess the actual issue was they had their servers hacked/exploited and so they have everything halfway taken down and are trying to figure things out.
--
The Groovy Organization

dapsaille

• Offline Offline
« Reply #732 on: January 27, 2011, 01:41:09 pm »
Cool for wrally

Sadly, the new kernel didn't solve my "Toshiba bug" .... it's really disturbing to see that windows can do something that linux can't ....

I wonder if you have modified grub or you use standard functionnality for boot in 15khz and if yes, where is the modified source code (if you provide it of course), juste for see if there is any options regarding the RS690 .

Thanks for all

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #733 on: January 27, 2011, 01:46:06 pm »
Cool for wrally

Sadly, the new kernel didn't solve my "Toshiba bug" .... it's really disturbing to see that windows can do something that linux can't ....

I wonder if you have modified grub or you use standard functionnality for boot in 15khz and if yes, where is the modified source code (if you provide it of course), juste for see if there is any options regarding the RS690 .

Thanks for all

Actually grub isn't patched, but the linux kernel is and on the GIT repository I have the entire patches and files to build the actual ISO/Linux system from scratch.  I think you might be in luck soon, seems they recently submitted a patch in the Linux kernel from the AMD guy to fix your chipset...

http://www.spinics.net/lists/dri-devel/msg06906.html

It's a hope at least, and seems really interesting that they are saying how your chipset specifically is picky about the clock references and pll dividers.
--
The Groovy Organization

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #734 on: January 27, 2011, 02:00:08 pm »
I've uploaded a Mame 0.141u1 + CabMame + Groovy Arcade + Test Input hacks (the patch I posted above). I would appreciate that Haggar or some of the other guys tested this one to see if it actually helps reducing input lag. The correct options for this test are: syncrefresh, nothrottle, notriplebuffer, multithreading

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XSGPDLAQ

It should be compared against:

- Itself, with nosyncrefresh, throttle
- Current CabMame binary with latest patches, using the same options (syncrefresh, nothrottle, notriplebuffer, multithreading)

In case it helped (too good to be true) we could add it to other patches (I've tried to build 0141u1.diff + groovyarcade_0141u1.diff but I gives some errors when applying patches).

EDIT: I managed to build it with all the patches on.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 12:49:28 pm by Calamity »
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #735 on: January 27, 2011, 02:23:42 pm »
In case it helped (too good to be true) we could add it to other patches (I've tried to build 0141u1.diff + groovyarcade_0141u1.diff but I gives some errors when applying patches).

Did you apply the hiscore one before the groovyarcade one?  That might be the problem with the patch, or else maybe the -p option needs to be different.  Also I'm thinking perhaps it's a whitespace/end of line issue since I'm creating them in Linux so they don't have the ^M windows stuff at the ends.
--
The Groovy Organization

dapsaille

• Offline Offline
« Reply #736 on: January 27, 2011, 02:56:21 pm »
Wouhouuuu..

It's nice to see that i'm not alone with this problem, it would be really great if this damned laptop could work with your distro  :P

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #737 on: January 27, 2011, 03:05:32 pm »
Did you apply the hiscore one before the groovyarcade one?  That might be the problem with the patch, or else maybe the -p option needs to be different.  Also I'm thinking perhaps it's a whitespace/end of line issue since I'm creating them in Linux so they don't have the ^M windows stuff at the ends.

No, I didn't apply the hiscore one, must be that, I'll try again.
Steps to create a log:

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #738 on: January 27, 2011, 05:44:20 pm »
Wouhouuuu..

It's nice to see that i'm not alone with this problem, it would be really great if this damned laptop could work with your distro  :P
I'll build a test ISO using that patch, should have it up later tonight or tomorrow, definitely interesting to try it and see if it fixes your card too.
--
The Groovy Organization

ves

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2020, 02:57:49 am
« Reply #739 on: January 27, 2011, 06:24:03 pm »
Hi, I installed the new version, the tests are installation, configuration and testing some games.

Installation, it is the same as before with the file grub.conf, fstab and files are in /

You could save somewhere in the livecd, several configuration files fstab and grub.conf to when installing, copy the file with the correct user unit.

fstab-sda1
fstab-sdb1
etc. ..
sda1 grub-......

Not copied. Xclients in /home/arcade, with the error of not loading automatically advmenu etc ....

I think that is a very important point to be repaired, so the end user does not have problems.

That is the folder /data_ro? since it is not created when you install, but if symbolic links inside /data/

Because mount /dev/sd .. in /home/arcade in fstab and in live?

Are really needed, hidden files / ? or only have been created to mount /dev/sd ... in /home/arcade??

With regard to the games I've tried going really well (toki, Rygar, wonderboy etc ...), but I'm noticing the rise and fall of sound among other plays, including what I have seen using a advmenu sound, which if you put a normal sound when you load a game this is a lot higher, I tried a little ossmixed but still remains the same, I'll have to check more thoroughly.

I noticed that in some vertical games (those who do not go pantallacompleta) if you take away the option of fulls the game is stretched across the screen, but not about all that because it?
There are also games that you can not read the info on mame for errors when loading graphics, is to change the resolution?

Acpi now works fine.

fstab
/dev/sda1 /               ext4            noatime 0 1
shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec     0 0

/dev/sda1 /home/arcade ext4 rw 0 2
/dev/sda2 none swap sw 0 0

grub.conf
default 0
timeout 5

title Groovy Linux
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda1 real_root=/dev/loop0 looptype=squashfs loop=/livecd.squashfs initrd udev nodevfs cdroot CGAVGA video=VGA-1:640x480ec
initrd /initrd

Files /
total 148
drwxr-xr-x  30 arcade arcade  4096 Jan 27 14:42 .
drwxr-xr-x  30 arcade arcade  4096 Jan 27 14:42 ..
-rwxr-xr-x   1 arcade arcade    64 Jan 27 14:19 .Xclients
-rw-r--r--   1 arcade arcade  6369 Dec  1 05:42 .Xdefaults
drwxr-xr-x   2 arcade arcade  4096 Jan 25 14:36 .advance
-rw-r--r--   1 arcade arcade    65 Jan 27 14:19 .asoundrc
drwxr-xr-x   3 arcade arcade  4096 Dec  1 05:42 .config
drwxr-xr-x   2 arcade arcade  4096 Dec  1 05:42 .fvwm
-rw-r--r--   1 arcade arcade 18446 Jan 25 03:33 .fvwm2rc
drwxr-xr-x   2 arcade arcade  4096 Dec  1 05:42 .gens
drwxr-xr-x   2 arcade arcade  4096 Jan 27 14:19 .groovyarcade
drwxr-xr-x   2 arcade arcade  4096 Dec  1 05:42 .mame
drwxr-xr-x   2 arcade arcade  4096 Dec  1 05:42 .mess
drwxr-xr-x   2 arcade arcade  4096 Jan 25 13:53 .nestopia
drwxr-xr-x   2 arcade arcade  4096 Dec  1 05:42 .stella
drwxr-xr-x   6 arcade arcade  4096 Dec 10 00:18 .wahcade
-rwxr-xr-x   1 arcade arcade    64 Jan 27 14:19 .xinitrc
drwxr-xr-x   2 arcade arcade  4096 Dec  1 05:42 .zsnes
drwxr-xr-x   2 root   root    4096 Jan 27 14:33 bin
drwxr-xr-x   4 root   root    4096 Jan 27 14:34 boot
drwxr-xr-x   6 root   root    4096 Jan 27 14:34 data
drwxr-xr-x  17 root   root    4040 Jan 27 16:33 dev
drwxr-xr-x  74 root   root    4096 Jan 27 16:34 etc
drwxr-xr-x   3 root   root    4096 Jan 25 15:23 home
drwxr-xr-x  13 root   root    4096 Dec 21 23:49 lib
drwxr-xr-x   2 root   root    4096 Dec 22 02:45 media
drwxr-xr-x   6 root   root    4096 Jan 27 16:33 mnt
drwxr-xr-x   5 root   root    4096 Dec 10 00:37 opt
dr-xr-xr-x 117 root   root       0 Jan 27 16:16 proc
drwxr-xr-x   2 root   root    4096 Jan 27 16:33 root
drwxr-xr-x   2 root   root    4096 Jan 27 14:33 sbin
drwxr-xr-x  12 root   root       0 Jan 27 16:16 sys
drwxrwxrwt   7 root   root    4096 Jan 27 16:19 tmp
drwxr-xr-x  13 root   root    4096 Nov 29 00:51 usr
drwxr-xr-x  13 root   root    4096 Dec 21 01:11 var

Files /data/
total 24
drwxr-xr-x  6 root   root   4096 Jan 27 14:34 .
drwxr-xr-x 30 arcade arcade 4096 Jan 27 14:42 ..
drwxr-xr-x  2 arcade arcade 4096 Jan 27 14:16 Games
lrwxrwxrwx  1 arcade arcade   20 Jan 27 14:16 artwork_all -> /data_ro/artwork_all
lrwxrwxrwx  1 arcade arcade   17 Jan 27 14:16 biosroms -> /data_ro/biosroms
lrwxrwxrwx  1 arcade arcade   12 Jan 27 14:16 cabinet -> /data_ro/cab
drwxr-xr-x  2 arcade arcade 4096 Jan 25 02:17 cat
lrwxrwxrwx  1 arcade arcade   12 Jan 27 14:16 ctl -> /data_ro/ctl
lrwxrwxrwx  1 arcade arcade   12 Jan 27 14:16 flyers -> /data_ro/fly
lrwxrwxrwx  1 arcade arcade   12 Jan 27 14:16 mrq -> /data_ro/mrq
lrwxrwxrwx  1 arcade arcade   12 Jan 27 14:16 pcb -> /data_ro/pcb
lrwxrwxrwx  1 arcade arcade   12 Jan 27 14:16 prv -> /data_ro/prv
drwxr-xr-x  2 arcade arcade 4096 Dec  1 16:44 roms
lrwxrwxrwx  1 arcade arcade   16 Jan 27 14:16 samples -> /data_ro/samples
drwxr-xr-x  9 arcade arcade 4096 Jan 27 14:16 screen_shots
lrwxrwxrwx  1 arcade arcade   12 Jan 27 14:16 ttl -> /data_ro/ttl

Thanks.

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #740 on: January 27, 2011, 11:02:40 pm »
Ves, I think the issue mostly is that I can see there being a bug when you don't use a separate partition for /home/arcade and to install to.  It seems  that your setup is using / as the /home/arcade directory on install so it ends up not getting things like .XClients setup properly.  Does the liveCD setup right when just running it?

The audio might be OSS4 and your specific sound card, have you tried choosing to use Alsa instead, it might work better on your machine.  

I'm not fully understanding the setup you are talking about with the system files from /etc/, are you saying to put them somewhere else to edit through the samba share?  I'm hoping it'd not be necessary to do that, just seems tricky and not sure if possibly there'd be a better way to configure those kind of things like through a web interface possibly with PHP.  I could see something like that being an interesting way to administer, there might even be some programs available I will look into for doing remote administration like that.  

I'm looking now to try to make the setup adapt when the home directory is the same as the future / one.  Actually what might be the issue is you probably don't want to choose a /home/arcade directory on install, and instead don't pick one at all.  In the case where your just using a single partition for everything, that is way it should be done, choosing a home directory in that case as the partition you are installing to is definitely not going to work very well at all (and probably results in some of the things your seeing).

Also the /data_ro directory basically is where it would mount an extra partition for roms/snaps, and it makes links from the actual locations to /data/ which by default are the ones I have setup that it creates.  You can just ignore all that though and use the advance Menu config and choose new locations all together, and alter them in mame.ini too.  Otherwise I do the best at making it somewhat transparent to the user by in the setup it asks to give the actual locations for each type of rom/snap for each emulator and links them from the drive mounted as '/data' which is actually /data_ro/ to the real /data/ directory. 

I need to re-evaluate the whole setup method though, I definitely can see it's probably more complex than needed and would like to make this simpler.  I need to figure out how to overhaul it without totally breaking it too, since it's quite complex in how it runs to setup the system but can do it for the liveCD well and the install works decent.  So I need to rewrite it or redo how it's done, but try to also keep things working since it definitely is a big task to setup the system like this.  I also see advance menu as possibly taking over a lot of this perhaps, there's been a lot of building it as going along and sure there's plenty of cruft now that could be removed I am guessing and refactoring. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 11:28:44 pm by bitbytebit »
--
The Groovy Organization

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #741 on: January 28, 2011, 02:01:40 am »
Wouhouuuu..

Test ISO, only change is it has the kernel patch for your video card and that extra ROM on it...

http://mario.groovy.org/Test/LiveCD32-Mini-NMO-1.313-b598cf6.iso
--
The Groovy Organization

dapsaille

• Offline Offline
« Reply #742 on: January 28, 2011, 04:17:45 am »
Thanks for this iso,

damn ... my connection get lost again , need to restart from 0 ..
do you think that you can make your server supporting resume downloads ?

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #743 on: January 28, 2011, 04:22:05 am »
Thanks for this iso,

I wish I could, but of course I'm at the mercy of the provider on that one :/.   I wish I could resume uploads when they break, sometimes I get 500 Meg uploaded after 2 hours and then it breaks, which really is frustrating, since my uploads are on a 3G sprint connection and very very slow.
--
The Groovy Organization

dapsaille

• Offline Offline
« Reply #744 on: January 28, 2011, 04:38:12 am »
Sorry for you, it's strange to see a provider in 2011 that don't support resume  :angry:

dapsaille

• Offline Offline
« Reply #745 on: January 28, 2011, 04:47:48 am »
Humm .. why not install webmin for standard maintenance operations ?  ..
it may be a little over-powered but it can do the job

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #746 on: January 28, 2011, 04:54:54 am »
Humm .. why not install webmin for standard maintenance operations ?  ..
it may be a little over-powered but it can do the job
Yeah I was looking at it actually tonight, looks interesting for sure.  It might be a good addition it seems, have to look into how much extra overhead/space is required by installing the webserver it'll require.  Also have been digging into the Arch Linux installer some, which seems to have an extensive shell script library/setup system to do all the setup tasks for their installation.  I wish it was easier to just have a simple ubuntu style setup or RedHat, unfortunately those are somewhat hard to use since there's a the combination of normal linux setup and having to make sure the system has the little changes that make 15khz operation work properly.
--
The Groovy Organization

dapsaille

• Offline Offline
« Reply #747 on: January 28, 2011, 05:02:47 am »
Ok .. but webmin has it's own webserver who is light (don't remember the size but not hugue as apache and it's dependencies).

I must admit that i'm happy with Gentoo, it is my main distro so i'ts not a problem for me ... but it is not the case for everyone ^^

dapsaille

• Offline Offline
« Reply #748 on: January 28, 2011, 05:13:26 am »
Its way much better now, i can get a stable picture .. not centered and sort of stretched but i can read console text ^^

i will continue to play with this livecd for trying to get a perfect picture (for now i get only 1/4 of the upper left screen stretched).

Thanks man, you're really amazing and made my day ^^

« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 05:36:48 am by dapsaille »

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #749 on: January 28, 2011, 05:45:55 am »
Thanks for this iso,

I wish I could, but of course I'm at the mercy of the provider on that one :/.   I wish I could resume uploads when they break, sometimes I get 500 Meg uploaded after 2 hours and then it breaks, which really is frustrating, since my uploads are on a 3G sprint connection and very very slow.

That's some ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow--- right there. Send me a message and I'll help you out.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #750 on: January 28, 2011, 05:51:55 am »
Its way much better now, i can get a stable picture .. not centered and sort of stretched but i can read console text ^^

i will continue to play with this livecd for trying to get a perfect picture (for now i get only 1/4 of the upper left screen stretched).

That's the interlace + doublescan issue, I've seen it before. Which grub option are you choosing on startup?
Steps to create a log:

dapsaille

• Offline Offline
« Reply #751 on: January 28, 2011, 05:56:09 am »

That's the interlace + doublescan issue, I've seen it before. Which grub option are you choosing on startup?

I use default boot :

title=Groovy Arcade LiveCD [CGA Arcade Monitor First VGA Output]
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz real_root=/dev/loop0 looptype=squashfs loop=/livecd.squashfs initrd udev nodevfs cdroot CGAVGA video=VGA-1:640x480ec
        initrd /boot/initrd

But it seems that i cannot get stable picture at boot with this livecd on my other cab who works with the older iso ...

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #752 on: January 28, 2011, 06:10:32 am »

I use default boot :

kernel /boot/vmlinuz real_root=/dev/loop0 looptype=squashfs loop=/livecd.squashfs initrd udev nodevfs cdroot CGAVGA video=VGA-1:640x480ec
        initrd /boot/initrd

But it seems that i cannot get stable picture at boot with this livecd on my other cab who works with the older iso ...

I remind bitbytebit saying that problem happened when more than one output was enabled. It could be your laptop is not disabling its lcd screen so both are being used, not sure. You could try one of the other grub options to see if they help (Second VGA?). On the other cab problem I have no clue.
Steps to create a log:

Haggar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2017, 05:12:32 am
« Reply #753 on: January 28, 2011, 06:26:08 am »
I've uploaded a Mame 0.141 binary (normal Mame, no CabMame hacks) with the patch I posted above. I would appreciate that Haggar or some of the other guys tested this one to see if it actually helps reducing input lag. The correct options for this test are: syncrefresh, nothrottle, notriplebuffer, multithreading

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KO10C2GO

- Itself, with nosyncrefresh, throttle
I'll try it this evening or tomorrow.

- Current CabMame binary with latest patches, using the same options (syncrefresh, nothrottle, notriplebuffer, multithreading)
You mean cabmame 0.141 right? http://community.arcadeinfo.de/showthread.php?t=9555

dapsaille

• Offline Offline
« Reply #754 on: January 28, 2011, 06:34:13 am »

I use default boot :

initrd /boot/initrd

I remind bitbytebit saying that problem happened when more than one output was enabled. It could be your laptop is not disabling its lcd screen so both are being used, not sure. You could try one of the other grub options to see if they help (Second VGA?). On the other cab problem I have no clue.

I've tried with vga=2 and i get a doubled picture but with the good hight (like a 31khz boot on a jpac setup) ...

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #755 on: January 28, 2011, 06:38:09 am »
Yes, you can use SailorSat's build or groovyarcade one, they must be the same on that aspect. Thanks a lot for testing that, I can't notice the subtle difference myself but if there's any you'd be able to do. Anyway the main test is to see if my build responds the same (with no lag) either with syncrefresh or throttle.
Steps to create a log:

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #756 on: January 28, 2011, 11:09:35 am »

I use default boot :

initrd /boot/initrd

I've tried with vga=2 and i get a doubled picture but with the good hight (like a 31khz boot on a jpac setup) ...

I'm not sure but sounds like the fix they have doesn't fully work completely or might not work with interlacing, perhaps that card can't even properly do interlacing.  Try to change the boot line to...

kernel /boot/vmlinuz real_root=/dev/loop0 looptype=squashfs loop=/livecd.squashfs initrd udev nodevfs cdroot CGAVGA video=VGA-1:320x240ec

Also to try the second VGA, make sure it's video=VGA-2:320x240ec also you can add video=LVDS-1:d  to disable the LCD output

Does the other cab have the same card, what kind of Radeon is it?  Does it work with the newer boot CD and not the Test, or neither of them?  Not sure why it would become unstable, definitely concerning if it's changed from possibly either the new 2.6.38-rc2 kernel or changes in the kernel patch.  Also make sure on it the right output is selected, since one possible change is now you really have to tell it exactly the right interface as VGA/DVI and the right number, else it will treat them like a non-arcade output.  Otherwise it wasn't possible to easily hook up normal monitors for working on things or having it work on normal monitors, basically the new patch is a lot less intrusive and doesn't break the normal kernel DRM and just enhances it when that 'c' is on the end of the video= part.
--
The Groovy Organization

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #757 on: January 28, 2011, 12:51:45 pm »

I'll try it this evening or tomorrow.

Haggar,

I've updated the link for my Mame test build, please make sure you use the new one for testing as it has all the CabMame hacks in it:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XSGPDLAQ

Steps to create a log:

Haggar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2017, 05:12:32 am
« Reply #758 on: January 29, 2011, 08:43:52 am »
The correct options for this test are: syncrefresh, nothrottle, notriplebuffer, multithreading
1 - Itself, with nosyncrefresh, throttle
2 - Current CabMame binary with latest patches, using the same options (syncrefresh, nothrottle, notriplebuffer, multithreading)
Tested:
1 - I feel the same "no lag"  :applaud:
2 - With cabmame and that cfg, frames go at 1000x, so I cannot test it.

Hope someone else can confirm my feelings.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #759 on: January 29, 2011, 11:35:24 am »
Tested:
1 - I feel the same "no lag"  :applaud:

Great news, so good to hear that!  ;D
Thanks a lot for testing.

2 - With cabmame and that cfg, frames go at 1000x, so I cannot test it.

Hope someone else can confirm my feelings.

Then probably the CabMame you're testing doesn't have the multithreading patch for vsync added, that's why it runs full speed. The binary from groovyarcade has that patch already, in case you wanted to compare.

I want to believe you're right and finally it turned out that the legendary vsync input lag problem could be removed by slightly changing the way multithreading is used in Mame like this patch does.

I've attached the current groovyarcade patch modified.
Steps to create a log: