Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Switchres: modeline generator engine  (Read 344219 times)

bitbytebit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 02, 2019, 11:07:16 am
    • The Groovy Organization
Re: Switchres arcade monitor modeline generator and mame wrapper
« Reply #880 on: February 10, 2011, 04:51:33 pm »
Hi I have no j-pac, but may be worth anyway?

Yeah that would be interesting, and it's the same as the old first choice which always forced the connector output enabled for just one of the interfaces.  I am guessing it will work with the J-Pac options.

How is your setup exactly, interesting that it needs the J-Pac setting without J-Pac.

Basically the first option now tries all interfaces in CGA mode, but none are forced because we can only force 1 output or else things don't work if more than 1 are forced.  So it is generic, and works if the monitor reports it exists to the video card, which doesn't happen with J-Pac, and your setup too :) which I'm guessing is probably a breakout cable type hook up from VGA to the monitor?  So guess I should word the grub menu better then, and not use the work J-Pac. 

I wish I could figure out a way to change which interfaces are forced on after booting, might be able to, but I have to test that more.  Then I can have a single menu item and in the setup menu choose which interface to output to.
SwitchRes / GroovyMame - http://arcade.groovy.org
Modeline Generator and Mame Wrapper for Windows or Linux
LiveCD of Groovy Arcade Linux for Arcade Monitors
GroovyMame - generate arcade resolutions like advancemame
--
The Groovy Organization

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #881 on: February 10, 2011, 04:54:14 pm »
I'm trying the new 1.443-ced8096 64bits and it's working perfectly here (I'm still using the last grub option for my motherboard). New --aspect option works fantastic both for stretched vertical games and not stretched. Also the fonts in Mame look good again, no more ugly scaled fonts. I'm seriously considering installing this soon as replacement for my Windows system. Mame loads faster and seems as if the whole thing works smoother than Windows, of course I'm testing this 64bits vs my XP 32bits, so that could be a reason. Apart from Mame, I just have Snes and Genesis on my Win cab, maybe those need some tweaking yet, but most of the time I just use Mame anyway. I'll keep both systems as I need Windows for testing stuff also.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

ves

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2020, 02:57:49 am
« Reply #882 on: February 11, 2011, 07:56:25 am »
Hi bitbytebit, I've seen it does not load, I noticed that the option in the grub vga=640x480c I've changed to vga=640x480ec, so missing the letter "e", so that option is worth? I have seen that the option of putting grub with jpac GroovyArcade 15Hz if it's okay, if I have no problems or I can jpac we break with the monitor for not getting the signal correctly?

Thank
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 08:00:18 am by ves »

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #883 on: February 11, 2011, 10:12:11 am »
Hi bitbytebit, I've seen it does not load, I noticed that the option in the grub vga=640x480c I've changed to vga=640x480ec, so missing the letter "e", so that option is worth? I have seen that the option of putting grub with jpac GroovyArcade 15Hz if it's okay, if I have no problems or I can jpac we break with the monitor for not getting the signal correctly?

Thank
I changed the grub.conf back to having the DVI-I-1 forced as the first option, I can see how it's really the most common setup.  The option in grub.conf which will work for your setup on the ISO you have should be...

title=Groovy Arcade LiveCD [15khz J-Pac DVI-1]
         kernel /boot/vmlinuz real_root=/dev/loop0 looptype=squashfs loop=/livecd.squashfs initrd udev nodevfs cdroot video=DVI-I-1:640x480ec
         initrd /boot/initrd

I've removed the word J-Pac in that now, and made it the first choice, so all should be fine in the next ISO. 

--
The Groovy Organization

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #884 on: February 12, 2011, 07:08:28 am »
Hi bit, I installed the new version with the option of jpac, had the decision not to set grub with the option video = VGA-1: 640x480ec, has not set anything, just normal grub commands.

Another thing I've noticed this morning was that some games do not fit well on screen and games are horizontal, I put a Capure here for you to check, you can also look out for in the decision graph that has the menu mame, I think you had already solved, right?

If we change the full option to crooped the game fits well but has a strange effect when moving.

Now ghost chaser, this looks completely straight, if you change the option of full and Cropper stays well and has that strange effect on the image.
Notice how the default game is fully stretched, with very large characters with weird effect

Looking at the log of mame, I've seen that gives the ruling OpenGL: PBO not supported by, it is possible that the 9250 AVGA not support such resolutions.
Or maybe not generate switchres While these resolutions?

« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 07:50:12 am by ves »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #885 on: February 12, 2011, 07:50:01 am »
Hi VeS, that's not Switchres fault, what happens is that Mame reports a smaller resolution than the real one. Normally, those games perform mode switching during the game play, so Mame just reports one of the resolutions, that is the one that Switchres calculates, then when the game switches its resolution internally, our screen resolution does not change so the picture is chopped. That happens with many Sega games. What you can do by now, is to enable the 'changeres' option for those games, using an ini for each of those roms, or better an ini for the problematic driver (well that might not work with Linux as we only enable one resolution each time I believe). The best solution I think it is to make an ini for each of those games with the right resolution used, like it's done with the 'dbz.ini' you can find inside the ini folder.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #886 on: February 12, 2011, 07:53:03 am »
But by changing the option of full by Cropper and fits the game well, what happens is something that has a strange effect.
There is also the error of OpenGL, you might see if you also gives you that error? and you might try these games?

Thank.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #887 on: February 12, 2011, 07:55:26 am »
Don't worry about the PBO not supported message, I also see it here, doesn't matter.

If you use the option "full", the game will be stretched so it will ruin the picture.
Steps to create a log:

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #888 on: February 14, 2011, 02:02:10 pm »
New ISO Images up with the following changes:

- ArcadeVGA 3000 card shows input as VGA-1 like it should, no longer calls it a DVI port
    - Switchres multi monitor ranges changed to match most flat screen LCD monitors
    - Newer Linux kernel AVIVO Radeon PLL calculations, improves refresh rate accuracy
    - ArcadeVGA 3000 now works perfectly in Linux, on d9800 too, no restrictions
    - Grub menu listings have better descriptions
    - Mame updated to 141u2

Now the ArcadeVGA3000 works without any problems at all, and radeon cards in general have improved timing.  Test and report any bugs/issues. 
--
The Groovy Organization

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #889 on: February 15, 2011, 05:23:21 pm »
Testing 1.455 iso, 64 bit, everything perfect here. I notice Twin Cobra is running at 100% now. Actually all games I've tested run at exact 100%, where before you could very rarely see a fluctuation around 99%-100%, not sure but could it be the new pll calculation method is improving things there. Also I'm seeing again this soundsync bevaviour that seems to be built in the Linux OSD part, it's really interesting because sound is automatically adjusted to gameplay in Linux, as Windows Mame versions prior to 0.107 did. I might be wrong, but I'm wondering if Windows OSD could be modified to do the same without the need of the soundsync patch.
Steps to create a log:

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #890 on: February 15, 2011, 06:00:32 pm »
Hello bite I've tried the new version 1455 iso 32 bit.

Bugs detected.

Grub installation is not configured with the option video = vga-1: 640x480ec

When you install and create a partition for home, when you create two folders you created arcade and arcade.default not know if it's something concrete.

Alsa sometimes I recognized the sound and others not, but when you restart the pc, never recognize it.
I still have oss4 and I already like it more or less ;)

I have reviewed many games all, in the absence of a bit like:

1000 miglia great 1000, this game I've been playing about 40 minutes and from time to time we came out a band that crossed the entire screen lower left corner to upper right corner, then I tried a little and I have not seen since May be a bug by using version mame 141u2.

Toki my favorite game is out of sync the entire game has a resolution of 256x224@59.610000
If you create the toki.ini with that resolution is out of sync, but if you change the 59.61 by 59, 59.62, 59.63 works well, I think it switchres error, but I can not confirm because I have not found any game more with that resolution, you can try?

Calamity when you say that all games are 100% that you see in Terminal 1 in the logs from time to load each game, right? whenever I get my 99.9% 99.98% have pc's could be more powerful than others? you can put the description of your pc? micro memory etc. ..

That lack of affect significantly the% pixel perfect or operation of the game? where it can be noticed more?

For sound, I have noticed no synch problems, but if some decisions newzeland sound like the story, in its Japanese version.

Thank.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #891 on: February 15, 2011, 06:17:14 pm »
Calamity when you say that all games are 100% that you see in Terminal 1 in the logs from time to load each game, right? whenever I get my 99.9% 99.98% have pc's could be more powerful than others? you can put the description of your pc? micro memory etc. ..

That lack of affect significantly the% pixel perfect or operation of the game? where it can be noticed more?

I mean the percentage it shows when you press F11, of course it's rounded to an integer so it could be 99,8% actually. When I talk about % it's always about speed of gameplay/operation.
Steps to create a log:

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #892 on: February 15, 2011, 06:57:24 pm »
Hello bite I've tried the new version 1455 iso 32 bit.

Bugs detected.

Grub installation is not configured with the option video = vga-1: 640x480ec

When you install and create a partition for home, when you create two folders you created arcade and arcade.default not know if it's something concrete.

Alsa sometimes I recognized the sound and others not, but when you restart the pc, never recognize it.
I still have oss4 and I already like it more or less ;)

I have reviewed many games all, in the absence of a bit like:

1000 miglia great 1000, this game I've been playing about 40 minutes and from time to time we came out a band that crossed the entire screen lower left corner to upper right corner, then I tried a little and I have not seen since May be a bug by using version mame 141u2.

Toki my favorite game is out of sync the entire game has a resolution of 256x224@59.610000
If you create the toki.ini with that resolution is out of sync, but if you change the 59.61 by 59, 59.62, 59.63 works well, I think it switchres error, but I can not confirm because I have not found any game more with that resolution, you can try?

For sound, I have noticed no synch problems, but if some decisions newzeland sound like the story, in its Japanese version.

Thank.

Thanks for finding that error with grub.conf and video=, I fixed that just now, was a side effect of the new grub menu and xorg.sh setup script.  Now it should be done a bit more robust and not have issues like that again.

I just changed setup to remove the /home/arcade/arcade.default directory, it uses that in a copy/mount/copy sequence for setting up the new home/arcade partition or directory, and was just leaving it there.

Yeah that is strange about Alsa, I'm not sure what it's doing, but might be thinking there's another interface upon boot or something.  See what 'aplay -l' looks like when you boot and/or it doesn't work. 

I tried the toki game, and it works fine here in 15khz h9110 monitor mode and others, not sure what it's doing but may be something tricky about the monitor.  Here's the modeline it should produce (here I get the exact same modeline with 59.61 or 59.63 so shouldn't really change what is setup either way).  Maybe Calamity can see how his monitor reacts to that game, I think he's got the same one...

mcp GroovyArcade # switchres --monitor h9110 --calc 256 224 59.61
#  256x224@59.61 15.6774Khz
   ModeLine          "256x224x59.61" 5.518455 256 272 304 352 224 235 238 263 -HSync -VSync

--
The Groovy Organization

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #893 on: February 16, 2011, 08:54:40 am »
Hello bitbytebit, as I said toki is my favorite and I always use is to test the lives (of course that also taste other) and have never had porblem with up to install the latest version.
If I remember right before formatting the hd, install, I tried it and it worked fine, but after installation I stop, but if so it makes no sense, no? if I can this afternoon formateare again and proves it.
Waiting for Calamity try it and tell me that this is going, if you try it with the AVGA Calamities.

With respect to the other game, I've understood, the error was happening?
is how to split the screen diagonal, and towards dbz snes when alebajan characters.

Thanks.

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #894 on: February 16, 2011, 02:09:02 pm »
Hello bitbytebit, as I said toki is my favorite and I always use is to test the lives (of course that also taste other) and have never had porblem with up to install the latest version.
If I remember right before formatting the hd, install, I tried it and it worked fine, but after installation I stop, but if so it makes no sense, no? if I can this afternoon formateare again and proves it.
Waiting for Calamity try it and tell me that this is going, if you try it with the AVGA Calamities.

With respect to the other game, I've understood, the error was happening?
is how to split the screen diagonal, and towards dbz snes when alebajan characters.

Thanks.

See if the output with -v -v on switchres shows any difference in the resolution setup by xrandr, possibly on the older and newer ISO, or when it works and doesn't.   I'm not sure, it might be the newer kernel perhaps and the calculations done for the dotclock/PLL but that part really shouldn't have changed for the older ATI cards and only the newer AVIVO ones.  Figuring out exactly what is triggering it, the dotclock value possibly being below a certain amount or something like that, would be the way to pin it down more and be able to figure out what is causing it. 
--
The Groovy Organization

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #895 on: February 16, 2011, 03:41:12 pm »
Hello bitbytebit, with respect to toki've been testing the mame directory toki upload, looks good, but not take up his resolution, if I use switchres toki no way, I have to have the toki.ini with its resolution and take on 1 the 59.61hz, so I think the problem is the calculation that makes switchres.
Then I try the options you told me-v-v ....

I've noticed that on the main console get this
Code: [Select]
Resolution change from 762457453x757738794 to 256x224
Opengl PBO not supported.

I do not remember if it comes from all games, then I test it too.

With respect to alsa, oss when you change to alsa from the install works fine, but once you restart the configuration is lost, do not let predterminada sound card, and I have to get back to oss sound.

With respect to the other side the screen play from the 2 nd phase, and today has less echo, so I think it is to use an unstable version of mame.

Thank.

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #896 on: February 16, 2011, 03:48:29 pm »
Hello bitbytebit, with respect to toki've been testing the mame directory toki upload, looks good, but not take up his resolution, if I use switchres toki no way, I have to have the toki.ini with its resolution and take on 1 the 59.61hz, so I think the problem is the calculation that makes switchres.
Then I try the options you told me-v-v ....

Actually separate those, "-v -v -v" since together they won't do the same thing :)

It seems like running switchres is showing a good modeline calculated, and it works here, so I'm pretty sure switchres isn't the issue, also it hasn't really changed since the last version but the kernel has.

I've noticed that on the main console get this
Opengl PBO not supported.

I do not remember if it comes from all games, then I test it too.

Those are normal, the PBO message is just meaning your video card doesn't support OpenGL PBO methods, and that's ok.

The resolution change is just a verbose message I put in there, and doesn't matter either, just showing that the resolution wasn't initialized yet at that point in mame, so it's ok.

With respect to alsa, oss when you change to alsa from the install works fine, but once you restart the configuration is lost, do not let predterminada sound card, and I have to get back to oss sound.

With respect to the other side the screen play from the 2 nd phase, and today has less echo, so I think it is to use an unstable version of mame.

Thank.

Yeah Alsa is hard to save the configuration of and pass it into the distribution install, which is one reason I like OSS4 much better.  Hopefully OSS4 just works fine since I see it as a better system than Alsa because it's easier to do things like setup without things muted and works without any manual choosing/setup like Alsa often requires (which a lot of distributions probably do a lot of extra non-default stuff, I did have to hack at OSS4 to get it working on the LiveCD, but now it works quite nice).
--
The Groovy Organization

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #897 on: February 16, 2011, 04:45:44 pm »
I've tested toki here and it works fine. VeS, please try snowbros, bublbobl, and rygar, which video modes are around toki's one. I think that launching mame without switchres using an ini shouldn't tell us much as the resolution you're writting there will not available unless you use switchres, so a random one must have been selected, as I understand it (?)
Steps to create a log:

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #898 on: February 16, 2011, 04:49:32 pm »
I've tested toki here and it works fine. VeS, please try snowbros, bublbobl, and rygar, which video modes are around toki's one. I think that launching mame without switchres using an ini shouldn't tell us much as the resolution you're writting there will not available unless you use switchres, so a random one must have been selected, as I understand it (?)

Yeah with only an .ini like that, it'll pick the only one available (or should be unless xorg.conf isn't setup right) of 648x480@60.

Ves: What is the output of `xrandr -q --verbose` during the game, remote ssh in and see what that says and post it here.  That might show at least the details of the modeline that is failing (do this when the game is not working, without any .ini file). 
--
The Groovy Organization

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #899 on: February 16, 2011, 05:15:37 pm »
Hi I've seen where is the bug of alsa, the problem is not properly configured gasetup inwhichthe alsa to start when loading Linux, the solution is this:

update-rc add alsasound default
update-rc del oss default

Remember that if we switch to OSS should do otherwise.

update-rc add oss default
update-rc del alsasound default

I've seen more league oss is loaded, since all load alsa modules, which has improvements over alsa oss?

Is there any program that detects the hardware you have our pc and so I pass that setup the kernel / alsa etc. .. and so only load as needed, to make it faster?

I think it should also be included in the option Gasetup the aspect switchres
mame default / switchres horizontal resolution
4:3 full screen.
3:3 larger screen, more faithful to the original
etc.......

With respect to toki, Calamity AVGA have used the 9250?
I hit that gives the options switchres

-v -v toki.

# toki [4] 256x224@59.61 15.6774Khz
     "256x224x59.61" 5.518455 256 272 304 352 224 235 238 263 -HSync -VSync

-v -v -v toki

Calamity've tried all these games, which I use for testing and I work without any problem, I just think about this and that is the frequency, I looked at mame.xml and on the web but is only to toki that frequency.

Thank.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 05:43:06 pm by ves »

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #900 on: February 16, 2011, 05:44:12 pm »
Hi I've seen where is the bug of alsa, the problem is not properly configured gasetup inwhichthe alsa to start when loading Linux, the solution is this:

update-rc add alsasound default
update-rc del oss default

Remember that if we switch to OSS should do otherwise.

update-rc add oss default
update-rc del alsasound default

Cool, I just fixed that, this patch shows the bug that was there....

diff --git a/gasetup/core/procedures/interactive b/gasetup/core/procedures/interactive
index ba20d6a..ebf386b 100644
--- a/gasetup/core/procedures/interactive
+++ b/gasetup/core/procedures/interactive
@@ -237,7 +237,7 @@ previous_setup()
                 /etc/init.d/oss stop
                 /etc/init.d/alsasound start
                 rc-update del oss default
-                rc-update add alsa default
+                rc-update add alsasound default
        fi

if [ "$VOLVALUE" != "" ]; then
@@ -535,7 +535,7 @@ worker_set_alsa()
                fi
                /etc/init.d/alsasound stop
                /etc/init.d/oss start
-               rc-update del alsa default
+               rc-update del alsasound default
                rc-update add oss default

cat $CONFIG_FILE | sed -e 's/alsa=.*//g'| grep -v ^$ > ${CONFIG_FILE_TMP}
@@ -555,7 +555,7 @@ worker_set_alsa()
         /etc/init.d/oss stop
         /etc/init.d/alsasound start
        rc-update del oss default
-       rc-update add alsa default
+       rc-update add alsasound default

audiodev=$(aplay -l|grep ^card|grep Analog|head -1|awk '{print $2}'|sed -e s/://g)
        if [ "$audiodev" = "" ]; then

I've seen more league oss is loaded, since all load alsa modules, which has improvements over alsa oss?

Is there any program that detects the hardware you have our pc and so I pass that setup the kernel / alsa etc. .. and so only load as needed, to make it faster?

I'm not sure, That is one strange thing about Alsa setup and how it seems to need to load all modules like that (and has so many).

I think it should also be included in the option Gasetup the aspect switchres
mame default / switchres horizontal resolution
4:3 full screen.
3:3 larger screen, more faithful to the original
etc.......

Yeah I'll have to put the aspect setup into the menu, sounds good. 

With respect to toki, Calamity AVGA have used the 9250?
I hit that gives the options switchres

-v -v toki.

-v -v -v toki

Thank.

It does seem to setup the video mode correctly, but if output is bad and it wasn't in the last version, I'm pretty sure it's the kernel.  I'll have to take a closer look, also the next ISO will have a newer kernel 2.6.38-rc5 on it and maybe it's fixed there.  We definitely are keeping the kernel working with 15khz modes since the last version broke them on the newer Radeon cards and I caught that and got it fixed, so hopefully if this is really the kernel and doesn't get fixed by the newest version then we can report it.  Main question is narrowing down exactly what is causing it, dotclock value being below a certain value plus hardware, what seems to be the main trigger of the bug. 

Also to get more verbose console output from the /var/log/messages or dmesg, you can do this...

echo 65536 > /sys/module/drm/parameters/debug

it will show a lot of messages, might be interesting to see the log /var/log/messages after doing this and running the game.  It might show something, not sure though how much information on the clock PLL divers and stuff are printed out.

Also for switchres, you can do --logfile logfile.txt  and capture that all to a logfile too :) so easier to record/post the details that way.  I don't think it's switchres though, it seems to be the kernel PLL calculations I'm guessing.
--
The Groovy Organization

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #901 on: February 16, 2011, 06:00:00 pm »
If snowbros works then it can't be the dotclock too low as this one is lower, maybe the new pll algo is failing right there for some reason? What's strange is that in radeon drm code they seem to be using a legacy function for older card so maybe they've modified it too in last kernel.

VeS, I haven't tested this one with the 9250 yet, only with HD4350.
Steps to create a log:

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #902 on: February 16, 2011, 06:05:03 pm »
Ok bit, tomorrow I send the logs.
Could make another request for gasetup? it's just that you add keyboard language option in Spanish

Certainly in /data is still not create the snap flyer cabinet symlinks etc ....

I tried to install:
only a particon /
partition / and /data
partition /, /data and /home.

anyway I think it would be better to have data mame folder and all folders within that contain mame, and so could also include snes, nes, gen etc. .. instead of putting just roms.

Thank

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #903 on: February 16, 2011, 06:10:16 pm »
Ok bit, tomorrow I send the logs.
Could make another request for gasetup? it's just that you add keyboard language option in Spanish

Certainly in /data is still not create the snap flyer cabinet symlinks etc ....

I tried to install:
only a particon /
partition / and /data
partition /, /data and /home.

anyway I think it would be better to have data mame folder and all folders within that contain mame, and so could also include snes, nes, gen etc. .. instead of putting just roms.

Thank

I need to look at how to add multilanguage support like that, right now I run a script which trims them down to one because else the disk space was really large.  On a LiveCD this was the way they did it in the examples I saw, but I will have to look and see if it really needs to be done.  It might not be too much space, and then could pick any language most likely.

In /data/ actually it won't anymore.  Now the way to do that would be editing the advancemame config instead, so they could be anywhere in the file system as /data/ /home/ or anywhere else actually. 
--
The Groovy Organization

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #904 on: February 17, 2011, 05:32:03 pm »
Bitbytebit Hi, I copied the rc3 kernel in the last livecd 1.455 and I've tried installing the game toki, which already works well, I've also tried the 1000 miglia great 1000 for about 4 or 5 stages and have not seen at any time the error split screen.

With regard to the command xrandr-q - verbose, with kernel version, he said it was not possible to display screen (can not remember, but it was something like that) with the previous kernel I have not tried.

So the problem we have in the kernel, pogo you here my logs, holding at various times.
logs from the install.
logs2 previous deleted without running toki.
anterior and running logs3 toki deleted.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 05:34:34 pm by ves »

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #905 on: February 17, 2011, 05:47:11 pm »
Bitbytebit Hi, I copied the rc3 kernel in the last livecd 1.455 and I've tried installing the game toki, which already works well, I've also tried the 1000 miglia great 1000 for about 4 or 5 stages and have not seen at any time the error split screen.

With regard to the command xrandr-q - verbose, with kernel version, he said it was not possible to display screen (can not remember, but it was something like that) with the previous kernel I have not tried.

So the problem we have in the kernel, pogo you here my logs, holding at various times.
logs from the install.

Thanks.

Try this for the xrandr command:

xrandr -q -display :0.0 --verbose

That should allow it to work remotely.

I was wrong about the value to put into debug, actually it's this:

echo 65535 > /sys/module/drm/parameters/debug

That should output a lot more into the /var/log/messages file :)

If possible, just run the xrandr before, and during the problem game.  Run the debug messages file before starting the game on a fresh reboot (where logs were cleared before the reboot) and then right after the game is running, copy the logs right at that point (they will grow fast).  Mainly want to see what it says when setting up the modeline for the game, but want to be able to pinpoint exactly where the messages are that were happening while the game was setup.

I think I have it where in the newer ISO the keyboard will be able to get set to any other type through gasetup.  Hopefully the newer kernel version might fix this issue with the video calculation too, will have to see.  Hopefully I'll have that ready in a day or two, but the logs might be interesting from the above two tests. 
--
The Groovy Organization

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #906 on: February 17, 2011, 08:11:26 pm »
I'm still not understanding why you would need 'dummy modes' with soft15khz.

Also:

I've been working on the assumption of a monitor database of the needed settings, so you just have to say h9110 or d9800, ntsc, pal or cga etc.   There could be more monitors added with people looking up the specs and testing them, but understand it's not totally user-friendly although it'll probably take time to gather that information, which will eventually lead to being more user friendly for each monitor type.  For an h9110, d9800, generic CGA monitor it should just make the best decisions and be more user friendly than advance was because you just have to tell it your monitor type in those cases.

Advcfj had this feature, the arcade multisync of the time being the D9200.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 08:55:05 pm by Gray_Area »
-Banned-

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #907 on: February 17, 2011, 11:07:52 pm »
dummy modes is probably not the right term to explain it fully.  Anyways it's really only with ATI radeon cards, and only the older hd4xxx ones and before, quite limiting unless you buy one of those older cards.  Basically on the ATI card that is older, with a patched CCC driver, you can only have 130 custom modlines.  This number is below 30 or something with a non-hacked ATI driver, and it might have to be an older one too I guess, at least for certain ATI cards.  So when you can only have so many modelines, you might want to have a 320x240 modeline that can be dynamically altered to be any refresh rate so it takes the place of having 5-10 modelines at 320x240 but every one a different refresh rate.  So that modeline, the 320x240 one, is no longer limited to one single refresh rate or dotclock, and that is what the 'dummy mode' reference means.   With Soft15khz you can set modelines, but you can only do the 30 - 130 normally and so to match all the possibilities of refresh rates you need to dynamically alter them too.  There is a way to reload them in the ATI driver, for the older radeon cards, and that is how those modelines can be manipulated in conjunction with Soft15khz inserting them into the registry and we can do the tricks in switchres to change them while keeping the basic HxW part of the modeline the same.

Also:

I've been working on the assumption of a monitor database of the needed settings, so you just have to say h9110 or d9800, ntsc, pal or cga etc.   There could be more monitors added with people looking up the specs and testing them, but understand it's not totally user-friendly although it'll probably take time to gather that information, which will eventually lead to being more user friendly for each monitor type.  For an h9110, d9800, generic CGA monitor it should just make the best decisions and be more user friendly than advance was because you just have to tell it your monitor type in those cases.

Advcfj had this feature, the arcade multisync of the time being the D9200.

Well the d9200 is actually so much different than a d9800, I've seen how for some reason this isn't well known, but look at the spec sheets and even then it still isn't obvious.  I had to ask the Wells Gardner support guy about this, and he stated that a d9800 (and I can confirm this myself through experience) can do anything withing the whole range of 15.230Khz -> 38.00Khz.  A d9200 actually can only do fixed areas (around 1.5 khz width each) of that range around the main frequencies like 15.725, 24khz, 31.5 khz and unofficially 38khz but they won't support that and it might ruin your d9200 monitor and they seem to die frequently anyways without pushing them like that.

I've really thought lately about either using PowerStrip in Windows to truly have fully Arcade mode support for any card/driver/OS version, saying a user should pay them $30.00 (which is cheaper, cheaper than an ArcadeVGA 3000 card and you don't have to buy another video card either) and then they've got the whole deal.  Or just say use Linux, because we are truly able to do this stuff there and only should become better in the future while in Windows the door is ever closing in on supporting Arcade modelines.  I can get an ATI 5450 to do perfect arcade resolutions in Linux, in Windows it's impossible (at least without Power Strip, but I can't guarantee it will do it either). 

The modeline generation to fit the monitor sync pulses and porches is what is important, and yes AdvanceXXX programs did just that.  Unfortunately only with a few video cards, old ancient ones by todays standards, and after looking through that code quite a bit and trying to see if it could work with modern mame I realized it was a no-go to ever get it modernized.  Actually I think the whole way Advance mame tried to rewrite mame completely was the biggest problem, how could that be maintained, mame changes faster than anything I've seen in API and general structures internally.  I am looking at ways to push switchres functionality into the mainline mame through patches though, and not have it be too hard to keep up to date.  This is a long-term project though, nothing that will probably happen anytime soon.  It would be neat though to have a version of mame able to generate a modeline that could be inserted in Linux through xrandr or Windows through powerstrip and used, so no extra wrapper program needed and no real deep thinking of a user or even of the logic in the extra code (since when in mame, you would know a lot more and be able to set settings properly, none of this extra fiddling with how to send mame command line args for the specific games modeline and if it can match the refresh rate, etc...).
--
The Groovy Organization

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #908 on: February 17, 2011, 11:12:58 pm »

logs from the install.

Thanks.

Ves, try this ISO and see if the modes act better with the newest kernel:

LiveCD32-Full-1.474-41df10d.iso

Also I have Spanish (and any other) keyboard support and should have the LOCALE setup possible too for Spanish and a few other languages.  So this should be mostly supporting multi-languages/keyboards now.  Also I have the Alsa issues fixed and the aspect ratio capable of being changed in the setup menu.

I am working too on having Wah!Cade easily setup itself without any user setup, just about that is at least for the Mame stuff.  There's still a few little issues there I've got to work out but it's nice to see WahCade not require tons of extra work to get it setup and basically just run like AdvanceMenu does and work immediately/find everything correctly.
--
The Groovy Organization

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #909 on: February 18, 2011, 08:50:25 am »
If snowbros works then it can't be the dotclock too low as this one is lower, maybe the new pll algo is failing right there for some reason? What's strange is that in radeon drm code they seem to be using a legacy function for older card so maybe they've modified it too in last kernel.

VeS, I haven't tested this one with the 9250 yet, only with HD4350.

I think I found the only possible change, and yes there is a change they made in that patch to the legacy code (I've added to the bug report I filed for the AVIVO part of that patch now, so hopefully we'll get this fixed especially if this is really the code doing it)...
@@ -849,7 +951,7 @@ void radeon_compute_pll(struct radeon_pll *pll,
  max_fractional_feed_div = pll->max_frac_feedback_div;
  }

- for (post_div = max_post_div; post_div >= min_post_div; --post_div) {
+ for (post_div = min_post_div; post_div <= max_post_div; ++post_div) {
  uint32_t ref_div;

if ((pll->flags & RADEON_PLL_NO_ODD_POST_DIV) && (post_div & 1))

Seems that in the legacy function the direction they count for the post divider is now from minimum post divider to max till they find one that works, not max to minimum anymore.  Maybe this for some reason is failing, I've asked Alex Deucher too so we will see what he does/produces to try.

Here's the original patch and explanations...

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/attachment.cgi?id=41943

Basically looks like this is the change, and I suspect it is the problem:
Also, switch
the legacy algo back to preferring lower post dividers.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 08:53:30 am by bitbytebit »
--
The Groovy Organization

quazl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2020, 08:20:13 pm
« Reply #910 on: February 18, 2011, 01:10:50 pm »
First of all, thanks so much for the work and the thread! Truly Epic!

I have read 90 percent and only understood 20 percent, but I have made it here.

I am going to be testing on my cab this weekend and will give my specs and results.

Macro specs are D9800 with a AVGA HD2400 with a 2.53 Dual-Core and also an onboard video to complicate things. I thought I would jump in because I haven't seen many or any mention of the HD2400 AVGA card on this thread. I hope to have a good experience but also help out with my experience if issues arise.

My intention is to have a dual boot with both partitions setup to use. Not necessary but thought I would give it a go.

One question to help me start out because this thread has pretty much the kitchen sink. :)

The HD2400 AVGA card came right before the 3000 but was intended for the d9200 which only supported up to 31KHZ I think. The d9800, as you know, goes to 38KHz. I have been trying to achieve 800x600 60Hz but the AVGA HD2400 is only able to do 800x600 FH 32.8KHZ  FV 52.3HZ which is spec.

Does any of your modelines in Linux or windows support 800X600  FH 37.8KHZ  FV 60.2HZ? This would not be for games but a nice full desktop experience.

Will the live CD work with an AVGA card or will I need to buy a "normal" ATI card? I only ask this because I have been unsure if Calamity's AVGA was flashed or not. I know that bitbytebit has a flashed 3000 but was unsure of the 9250 in Calamity's setup.

Again, Thanks so much for this. It has been a great 3 days reading this thread and getting excited about making my cab better.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 01:17:26 pm by quazl »

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #911 on: February 18, 2011, 01:49:01 pm »
First of all, thanks so much for the work and the thread! Truly Epic!

I have read 90 percent and only understood 20 percent, but I have made it here.

I am going to be testing on my cab this weekend and will give my specs and results.

Macro specs are D9800 with a AVGA HD2400 with a 2.53 Dual-Core and also an onboard video to complicate things. I thought I would jump in because I haven't seen many or any mention of the HD2400 AVGA card on this thread. I hope to have a good experience but also help out with my experience if issues arise.

Definitely will be good to test the next ISO image, I'm getting the whole grub setup more bullet proof and also have a fix in the kernel hopefully for the older Radeon cards which the last kernel update broke for a few games modelines.

My intention is to have a dual boot with both partitions setup to use. Not necessary but thought I would give it a go.

One question to help me start out because this thread has pretty much the kitchen sink. :)

The HD2400 AVGA card came right before the 3000 but was intended for the d9200 which only supported up to 31KHZ I think. The d9800, as you know, goes to 38KHz. I have been trying to achieve 800x600 60Hz but the AVGA HD2400 is only able to do 800x600 FH 32.8KHZ  FV 52.3HZ which is spec.

Does any of your modelines in Linux or windows support 800X600  FH 37.8KHZ  FV 60.2HZ? This would not be for games but a nice full desktop experience.

Great to have another AVGA card being tested, should be interesting :).  It really should be easy to generate a modeline for that resolution with switchres, for a desktop will definitely require a customized one since we do a 648x480 for the desktop by default (progressive for the d9800, interlaced for arcade monitors).

Oddly If I run switchres like this, I get a modeline that probably will be good for your card...

mcp SwitchResC # ./switchres --calc 800 600 52.3 --monitor d9800 -v -v
#  [5] 800x600@52.30 34.0473Khz
     "800x600x52.30" 34.319678 800 832 936 1008 600 614 618 651 -HSync -VSync

Which is odd because it's not the resolution it picks as the best one, since technically it's slightly padded, but it does work.  The lower vertical refresh rate is what makes it harder to do than a normal 800x600@60 resolution it seems.  This one above should worth though, the "-v -v" args show the different possible choices, and this one is not the final pick but it should be good.

This will have to be manually placed into /etc/X11/xorg.conf for now, after the normal d9800 monitor setup with 648x480@60 progressive, since I haven't got the setup menu able to do things like this with more advanced desktop resolutions for monitors like the d9800 yet.

Will the live CD work with an AVGA card or will I need to buy a "normal" ATI card? I only ask this because I have been unsure if Calamity's AVGA was flashed or not. I know that bitbytebit has a flashed 3000 but was unsure of the 9250 in Calamity's setup.

Again, Thanks so much for this. It has been a great 3 days reading this thread and getting excited about making my cab better.

It should hopefully work with the AVGA card just fine, calamity's isn't flashed, and I'm using my AVGA 3000 now unflashed (I flashed it back) just great with all of this.  I'm curious of course that that version of the AVGA works the same as the older ones and my newer one.  If not then it might need a similar fix that I did for the 3000 model, so the Linux kernel can work with it properly.

This newer ISO I am about to upload should be the best one to test, I'll announce it here later tonight hopefully.  I'm working on the grub setup right now, so definitely should be nicer since it sounds like you'll need that improvement for dual boot.  There is an issue I'm seeing when the grub setup isn't a real basic one where /dev/sda1 is the install partition, and I've hopefully fixed that but still testing if it really is fixed.  Also again it contains the fixes for legacy radeon cards, although now looking it seems the hd2400 is not a legacy one, and if it does the same stuff the hd2600 AVGA 3000 does then you can definitely help me fix it too :).  We'll see how it works and if it has the same issues, I'll have to get some logs and information from you about it and I can make it work with some additional fixes to the kernel.
--
The Groovy Organization

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #912 on: February 18, 2011, 09:50:31 pm »
New version is uploaded LiveCD32-Full-1.483-a8aa10a.iso and 64bit one should be up in a few hours or less.

Changelog:

- Fixed grub setup so it chooses right drive if not the first partition on /dev/sda
    - Reverted change in legacy PLL divider calculation for legacy radeon cards
    - Controls.ini file added to /data/cat/ so Wahcade is happy
    - .xinitrc setup improved, mame.xml file same in wahcade as advmenu now
    - Linux kernel updated to 2.6.38-rc5
    - fixed grub.conf setup with proper video= line from install
    - fixed bug setting up Alsa
    - Added configuration of keyboard layout in gasetup
    - Added configuration of aspect ratio for mame in gasetup

Ves: This may fix the issue with the toki game and the radeon 9200 AVGA card.  Also curious if the last ISO (I still have it up for 32bit) I posted with this same kernel doesn't fix it, so can make sure it's that simple 1 line change from the previous patch for legacy/avivo PLL setup.

--
The Groovy Organization

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #913 on: February 19, 2011, 05:12:09 am »
dummy modes is probably not the right term to explain it fully.  Anyways it's really only with ATI radeon cards, and only the older hd4xxx ones and before, quite limiting unless you buy one of those older cards.  Basically on the ATI card that is older, with a patched CCC driver, you can only have 130 custom modlines.  This number is below 30 or something with a non-hacked ATI driver, and it might have to be an older one too I guess, at least for certain ATI cards.

Well, actually the number of custom modes you can define with regular drivers from different cards are:

- Intel: 5 custom modes (according to Sailorsat)
- nVidia: 32 custom modes (according to Sailorsat)
- ATI: 60 custom modes (according to my experience and reverse engineering of ATI drivers)

In Windows, the list of available video modes is only read by the system at startup, so you can't add any new video mode on the fly, as you can with Linux. However, ATI drivers have a non-documented feature that allows us to modify the definition of a given video mode with inmediate effects, as long as you keep the resolution (notice the difference, resolution = WxH, video mode = resolution + refresh). That combined with the bigger amount of modes supported by ATI drivers is the reason we've focused all this stuff on ATI cards. Think of this dummy modelines as having a palette of video modes. When you have a palette, you actually choose from a limited number of items simultaneously, but if you are able to dynamically change any of those items, then with some additional work the result can be as good as if you had an unlimited number of items.

Now, my patch for ATI drivers works like this: actually you can only store 60 custom modes (in the driver they're labelled as NonStandardModes). But at the same time, the driver allows as to have a list of restricted modes of 60 elements too. Fortunately for us, both lists are stored consecutive in the same memory area. What I do is to patch the driver so that it doesn't get any restricted mode, and modify the pointers in order to use that memory room for custom modes instead, so I get 60+60 = 120 custom modes. In addition, one can increase this number at the risk of overflowing the original buffers used for these lists. What I've seen is that with Catalyst 6.5 (older cards) this can be done to achieve 200 custom modes, but with newer Catalyst 9.3, we reach a limit before where we start seeing some blue screens, so I keep that number lower. That's why sometimes a write a figure and then another, when I see an issue then I correct it. So, the situation is actually better for older cards (9250 was my test animal). Anyway, if we are able to design a mode list of 120 elements, it could be used safely with any version without overflowing anything.
Steps to create a log:

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #914 on: February 19, 2011, 06:53:10 pm »
Bitbytebit Hi, I've tried the last 2 versions, with the penultimate followed it all the same, and the latest and everything is ok again, I could post that you have changed? you've changed you or is an official patch in the kernel?

I've seen that having created the partition /data does not create the folder cat, you should force the copy of that folder, and also the /home/arcade/, or at least the new files.

Because you put in the boot .xinitrc file to create mame.xml? it already does advmenu alone, and if the wah!cade, I think you should do only in the installation or configuration, as it loses some time while looking at whether or not you file.

I think it should be omitted gasetup installation option when installed, it could create the same script but without that option, and that whatever it is copied to the hd.

I'm looking to implement wimote to do as a gun, I'm with cwiid etc... when I have something on conditions, I will inform you.

Thank.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 06:59:05 pm by ves »

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #915 on: February 19, 2011, 09:41:27 pm »
Bitbytebit Hi, I've tried the last 2 versions, with the penultimate followed it all the same, and the latest and everything is ok again, I could post that you have changed? you've changed you or is an official patch in the kernel?

I've seen that having created the partition /data does not create the folder cat, you should force the copy of that folder, and also the /home/arcade/, or at least the new files.

Because you put in the boot .xinitrc file to create mame.xml? it already does advmenu alone, and if the wah!cade, I think you should do only in the installation or configuration, as it loses some time while looking at whether or not you file.

I think it should be omitted gasetup installation option when installed, it could create the same script but without that option, and that whatever it is copied to the hd.

I'm looking to implement wimote to do as a gun, I'm with cwiid etc... when I have something on conditions, I will inform you.

Thank.

I patched the kernel, or reversed the change they made that broke things.  Bug report I just filed for it, now that we've got testing results :), is here...

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=29502

Yeah I need to do that for /data, I thought it was but I guess it's for some reason not working.  I guess moving that into /home/arcade might be good too.

The mame.xml file I'm trying to create on setup, but I think my method is only doing it when you choose a frontend and I should do it also during install too in case setup wasn't used to change the front end. (if you pick a different frontend, like wahcade, it should be done, or fvwm.  I tried to make it so when it does create it on startup, it at least shows the message now of what it's doing, but sounds good to go ahead and do it during install too and save startup time.

I'll have to look at how to exclude things in the gasetup method after install, seems possible since it's just a shell script, need to look at the menu system I'm using and how to exclude entries like that.
--
The Groovy Organization

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #916 on: February 20, 2011, 06:31:59 pm »
Hello bitbytebit,I've seen how it works emulation of the wiimote, I tried cwii and it works, what happens to me is something I will stumble, do not know if it will be for the sensor bar or bluetooth, I have to do more tests, especially in win to see if my problem devices or not, but with this you get serious enough as it recognizes and gun mame nintendo wii.

Mame.ini
ligthgun 1

To find the mac wiimote.

lswm
This step is not necessary, but explains it is confirmed to use two remotes.

To recognize and use the wiimote to the sensor bar "IR".

wminput -d -c ir_ptr MAC
I think we can put a second MAC to play two players, but to be confirmed.

With this simple configuration and recognizes the wiimote mame
and treats it like a gun.

Thank
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 06:51:48 pm by ves »

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #917 on: February 20, 2011, 08:41:08 pm »
Hello bitbytebit,I've seen how it works emulation of the wiimote, I tried cwii and it works, what happens to me is something I will stumble, do not know if it will be for the sensor bar or bluetooth, I have to do more tests, especially in win to see if my problem devices or not, but with this you get serious enough as it recognizes and gun mame nintendo wii.

Mame.ini
ligthgun 1

To find the mac wiimote.

lswm
This step is not necessary, but explains it is confirmed to use two remotes.

To recognize and use the wiimote to the sensor bar "IR".

wminput -d -c ir_ptr MAC
I think we can put a second MAC to play two players, but to be confirmed.

With this simple configuration and recognizes the wiimote mame
and treats it like a gun.

Thank

This sounds interesting, definitely would be cool to be able to use the wii remote as a light gun :).
--
The Groovy Organization

quazl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2020, 08:20:13 pm
« Reply #918 on: February 21, 2011, 09:00:03 am »
Well, good news!

Specs:

Motherboard:     G31M-ES2L FC
GPU:                 AVGA HD2400

Worked like a charm. Tested all the built in games and they were all performing perfectly. I only tested the 32bit, going to try 64bit tonight.

The problems that I had were in trying to get the disc to be installed. My parents visited this weekend, so I was only able to give it about an hour of my time.

My future setup will be a 2 partition NTFS drive that has windows on the first and Hyperspin setup and ROM, snaps, vids, and etc on the 2nd. There will be second hard drive (either SATA or USB drive with the Linux partition)

My questions (and I need to look through the thread again as I think that it was answered already) are "

Can this Live CD see NTFS?
What is the Home Directory?

It would not let me install the disk because it was in conflict with either the Rom directory or home directory. i Tried a few things but was unsuccessful. I will have more time tonight though.

As for display functionality, it was flawless.

I see that you have a D9800 as well. The resolution that is being used by the driving game (can not remember it now), Does it fit on your screen. I have reduced my horizontal dimensions and still can not get it to fit. I am sure there are manual adjustments by pots in the back. Just wondering if yours fits.

And great work by the way. Once I get the thing installed, I will get all the logs that you want and do whatever testing that you would like.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 09:04:25 am by quazl »

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #919 on: February 21, 2011, 09:14:52 am »
Well, good news!

Specs:

Motherboard:     G31M-ES2L FC
GPU:                 AVGA HD2400

Worked like a charm. Tested all the built in games and they were all performing perfectly. I only tested the 32bit, going to try 64bit tonight.

The problems that I had were in trying to get the disc to be installed. My parents visited this weekend, so I was only able to give it about an hour of my time.

My future setup will be a 2 partition NTFS drive that has windows on the first and Hyperspin setup and ROM, snaps, vids, and etc on the 2nd. There will be second hard drive (either SATA or USB drive with the Linux partition)

My questions (and I need to look through the thread again as I think that it was answered already) are "

Can this Live CD see NTFS?
What is the Home Directory?

It would not let me install the disk because it was in conflict with either the Rom directory or home directory. i Tried a few things but was unsuccessful. I will have more time tonight though.

As for display functionality, it was flawless.

I see that have a D9800 as well. The resolution that is being used by the driving game (can not remember it now), Does it fit on your screen. I have reduced my horizontal dimensions and still can not get it to fit. I am sure there are manual adjustments by pots in the back. Just wondering if yours fits.

And great work by the way. Once I get the thing installed, I will get all the logs that you want and do whatever testing that you would like.

It can see NTFS, read only support, and can be setup through either the webmin (port 80) http interface or can be specified as the 'data' or Roms/Snap partition too. 

The 'home' directory is really just useful if you want to reboot into the liveCD and save your setup each time.  It uses a drive basically mounted as /home/arcade/  (can't be the installation drive, might as well just not use a home directory if installing).

The Roms/Snap directory is mounted as /data/ and again it doesn't have to be a separate drive, but of course if your using an NTFS partition for that then you'll need to specify it (or mount it through webmin, with the liveCD each boot you'll have to use webmin to mount it again for the moment since webmin changes won't be saved with the liveCD reboots).

Yeah I use a d9800, there are some games that look like the are bordered and either Mame is wrong with the resolution, or it changes resolution (usually in this case they are bigger than the screen) and possibly the original arcade monitor was adjusted and stretched wider.  That at least are my theories currently, and Calamity might have more detailed ideas on that too.

Actually the only adjustments on my d9800 I have touched are the OSD ones, I'm not sure about the back pots, I figured they were probably a bad thing to adjust but not 100% sure :)

Sounds really good that it works with that AVGA card, I was afraid I'd have to do the same tricks with it as the AVGA 3000 card, fortunately not.  Good deal it is working well there too, nice to see the same results I've seen here locally with it, definitely the biggest goal of all this is to get those out to others since I saw some pretty big potential using Linux with the right setup and newest kernel/Xorg stuff.

I definitely need to make the whole /home/arcade /data drive setup more clear, haven't figured a simple way to do that without allowing the complex methods of using separate partitions for / and /data/ and /home/arcade which allows for both stateful liveCD booting and separate USB/drive Rom/Snap locations. 

Thanks for testing and reporting the results, will be interested in more tests installing and any bugs that could be squashed or other things that could be made easier.
--
The Groovy Organization