Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Switchres: modeline generator engine  (Read 344215 times)

bitbytebit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 02, 2019, 11:07:16 am
    • The Groovy Organization
Re: Switchres arcade monitor modeline generator and mame wrapper
« Reply #760 on: January 29, 2011, 11:54:56 am »
Tested:
1 - I feel the same "no lag"  :applaud:

Great news, so good to hear that!  ;D
Thanks a lot for testing.

2 - With cabmame and that cfg, frames go at 1000x, so I cannot test it.

Hope someone else can confirm my feelings.

Then probably the CabMame you're testing doesn't have the multithreading patch for vsync added, that's why it runs full speed. The binary from groovyarcade has that patch already, in case you wanted to compare.

I want to believe you're right and finally it turned out that the legendary vsync input lag problem could be removed by slightly changing the way multithreading is used in Mame like this patch does.

I've attached the current groovyarcade patch modified.

Very cool, this is great, I wonder if we need to do something similar on the SDL side of things?  I'll move those changes into the current builds and patches in the GIT repository soon.  I *think* I experience some input lag, compared to what I had done in the SDL side of things before compared to what in in the current Mame SDL code now (in reference to the waitvsync/multithreading fixes they put in).  I'll have to look into this more again too. 

On the Linux ISO side of things...
Right now am rewriting the entire setup/manage stuff of the ISO hopefully to have a nice blue menu setup screen, hoping to use the information Ves (thanks) is giving to have a cleaner setup method and running method.  Now that I've gotten advanced menu working and see the way it does things, I think I can really clean a lot of cruft away and do like Ves says and just boot straight into advmenu/fvwm (or perhaps eventually drop fvwm too, not sure about that yet).  I'm wanting to hopefully get the setup menu on the console again at first, then launch from there into X and advmenu, which definitely sounds way less tricky than what currently is done. I am basing this off of the Arch Linux Installation Framework system, it's nice because I can utilize the console based disk partition/format menu they have and maybe network setup, and also adding all the needed custom things we need to do for setting up the system for the arcade monitor.  I figured the working yet really painfully tricky startup.pl script I have needs to go now that things have advanced to where they are at, and refactoring the entire setup is in order.  This also should make it much easier to go back and change system settings too.  I'm not totally sure yet about webmin, but I might install it eventually and it does look nice, but first need to refactor basic first time setup and possibly see how much space it will take up extra and if I need to purge something else to put it in.  I am leaning towards ripping out a lot of the more desktop stuff I put in, and aiming at a system where you really only see advmenu and emulator full screen output, possibly have advmenu scripts launch xterms if necessary.

SwitchRes / GroovyMame - http://arcade.groovy.org
Modeline Generator and Mame Wrapper for Windows or Linux
LiveCD of Groovy Arcade Linux for Arcade Monitors
GroovyMame - generate arcade resolutions like advancemame
--
The Groovy Organization

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #761 on: January 29, 2011, 12:43:15 pm »
Very cool, this is great, I wonder if we need to do something similar on the SDL side of things?  I'll move those changes into the current builds and patches in the GIT repository soon.  I *think* I experience some input lag, compared to what I had done in the SDL side of things before compared to what in in the current Mame SDL code now (in reference to the waitvsync/multithreading fixes they put in).  I'll have to look into this more again too. 

Honestly I don't know how the Linux os logic works for receiving input. In Windows the issue seems to be caused because the blitting (with the wait involved) is the done in the same thread that receives the input (the window thread). This not a problem if you do the wait in the main thread, as throttle option does, so the window thread remains free to process input messages.

By the way there's something really cool that could eventually be done in AdvanceMenu, having the source code. You know this program has a wait mode where you basically are shown snapshots of the games at fullscreen. Of course, as the screen resolution is fixed, the pics have to be stretched, so the quality sucks as expected. Now, being able to do any resolution on the fly... it could be nice to see the snapshots on their right resolution. It can even be useful as a Switchres demo.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

dapsaille

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2019, 01:31:26 am
« Reply #762 on: January 29, 2011, 03:25:28 pm »
Very cool, this is great, I wonder if we need to do something similar on the SDL side of things?  I'll move those changes into the current builds and patches in the GIT repository soon.  I *think* I experience some input lag, compared to what I had done in the SDL side of things before compared to what in in the current Mame SDL code now (in reference to the waitvsync/multithreading fixes they put in).  I'll have to look into this more again too.  

Honestly I don't know how the Linux os logic works for receiving input. In Windows the issue seems to be caused because the blitting (with the wait involved) is the done in the same thread that receives the input (the window thread). This not a problem if you do the wait in the main thread, as throttle option does, so the window thread remains free to process input messages.

By the way there's something really cool that could eventually be done in AdvanceMenu, having the source code. You know this program has a wait mode where you basically are shown snapshots of the games at fullscreen. Of course, as the screen resolution is fixed, the pics have to be stretched, so the quality sucks as expected. Now, being able to do any resolution on the fly... it could be nice to see the snapshots on their right resolution. It can even be useful as a Switchres demo.

Hummm .. i'm not really sure that our old school (tm) monitors will appreciate to switch too quickly between resolutions ...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 03:44:43 pm by dapsaille »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #763 on: January 29, 2011, 03:49:39 pm »
Hummm .. i'm not really sure that our old school (tm) monitors will appreciate to switch too quickly the resolutions ...

Resolution switch would be only in wait/attract mode, that would do a switch maybe each 5 seconds, your monitor will be happy.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

dapsaille

• Offline Offline
« Reply #764 on: January 29, 2011, 03:50:32 pm »
I will no try ^^ for sure ..

dapsaille

• Offline Offline
« Reply #765 on: January 29, 2011, 04:16:18 pm »

...SNIP.....

I'm not sure but sounds like the fix they have doesn't fully work completely or might not work with interlacing, perhaps that card can't even properly do interlacing.  Try to change the boot line to...

kernel /boot/vmlinuz real_root=/dev/loop0 looptype=squashfs loop=/livecd.squashfs initrd udev nodevfs cdroot CGAVGA video=VGA-1:320x240ec

Also to try the second VGA, make sure it's video=VGA-2:320x240ec also you can add video=LVDS-1:d  to disable the LCD output

Does the other cab have the same card, what kind of Radeon is it?  Does it work with the newer boot CD and not the Test, or neither of them?  Not sure why it would become unstable, definitely concerning if it's changed from possibly either the new 2.6.38-rc2 kernel or changes in the kernel patch.  Also make sure on it the right output is selected, since one possible change is now you really have to tell it exactly the right interface as VGA/DVI and the right number, else it will treat them like a non-arcade output.  Otherwise it wasn't possible to easily hook up normal monitors for working on things or having it work on normal monitors, basically the new patch is a lot less intrusive and doesn't break the normal kernel DRM and just enhances it when that 'c' is on the end of the video= part.

I can boot with vga-1 at 320x240ec .. not with vga-2 and in any case  LCDS-1:d does not seems to work, xrandr tell me that lvds is connected ..

Please excuse me regarding the other cab, i've made some mistakes in my test process, forget this part all is ok ^^

I'm installing mini iso on hdd, it will be better for tests.

--------------------

I can use 640x480 or 320x240 at boot result is the same =
Wahcade gui is in fullscreen and picture is centered and good so it seems that resolution is ok,
when i launch game the resolution is ok but i can see a noticeable blanking effect (epileptic mode on)

http://img248.imageshack.us/i/vln.mp4/

Don't worry about the missing red component, i need to resolder my vga connector (damn Great Dane .....)

arcade@GroovyArcade /root $ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 648 x 480, maximum 8192 x 8192
VGA-0 connected 648x480+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
   648x480x60.00   30.0*
LVDS connected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
   1280x800       60.0 +
   1280x720       59.9
   1152x768       59.8
   1024x768       60.0     59.9
   800x600        60.3     59.9
   848x480        59.7
   720x480        59.7
   640x480        59.9     59.4
   512x384       120.0
   400x300       120.6
   320x240       120.1
HDMI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

Grub commandline =
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda1 initrd udev nodevfs CGAVGA video=VGA-1:640x480ec VIDEO=LVDS-1:d
initrd /boot/initrd

Do you think that this patch may be helpfull regarding my problem ?
 http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2010-November/005901.html

Edit =

my syslog is full of

Code: [Select]
[ 1301.085956] radeon 0000:01:05.0: HDMI-A-1: EDID block 0 invalid.
[ 1301.085966] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
[ 1311.154002] [drm:drm_edid_block_valid] *ERROR* Raw EDID:

...hdmi ?? ... i only have a vga output and a lvds internal connector ..
[/s]
 I think that this laptop will learn to fly soon  :angry:    :laugh:
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 07:35:52 pm by dapsaille »

dapsaille

• Offline Offline
« Reply #766 on: January 29, 2011, 07:09:20 pm »
Humm ....

Much better with

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda1 initrd udev nodevfs CGAVGA video=VGA-1:640x480ec video=LVDS-1:d video=HDMI-A-1:d

Now i can get a 640x480 boot without artifacts BUT i get the blanking problem described in the previous video ...

[  253.283307] [drm:drm_mode_getfb] *ERROR* invalid framebuffer id

I see the end of the tunnel but ..... ^^
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 07:25:15 pm by dapsaille »

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #767 on: January 29, 2011, 08:05:37 pm »
Humm ....

Much better with

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda1 initrd udev nodevfs CGAVGA video=VGA-1:640x480ec video=LVDS-1:d video=HDMI-A-1:d

Now i can get a 640x480 boot without artifacts BUT i get the blanking problem described in the previous video ...

[  253.283307] [drm:drm_mode_getfb] *ERROR* invalid framebuffer id

I see the end of the tunnel but ..... ^^
Yeah that patch is in the kernel already, they put that in around last December, I remember it.  Definitely looks promising, the invalid framebuffer id thing seems to happen to everybody actually so it's a whole other thing and maybe not more than a warning from what I can tell.  I wonder if it's something to do with the same basic issue of that chip, that the original patch and bug report is about.  Actually you probably should post information to that original bug report I posted, and give Alex the information about what is going on.  He's very helpful, and this will probably spark his interest in testing that patch and seeing it helps you but also the video and information about what is still going wrong.  Any more patches he produces about it, I can apply and we can test. Very encouraging that it's closer than it was, seems like he'd be the only one who would know what kernel tricks to do to fix it all the way.
--
The Groovy Organization

dapsaille

• Offline Offline
« Reply #768 on: January 30, 2011, 03:42:27 am »
You're right, my problem is not related to your software, i will try to give as much informations as i can to Alex.

I've posted a thread on a french forum about your software, seems that you will see more froggies around near  ::)

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #769 on: January 31, 2011, 10:04:57 am »
Hi! I'm testing LiveCD32-Full-O-1.311-e925891.iso, AdvanceMenu is not included with this one yet, only Wahcade, right?
Steps to create a log:

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #770 on: January 31, 2011, 10:25:54 am »
Hi! I'm testing LiveCD32-Full-O-1.311-e925891.iso, AdvanceMenu is not included with this one yet, only Wahcade, right?

If it's the ones on the site right now, yes it does have advmenu actually.  it's under /usr/games/bin/advmenu and should be available as an option in setup or possibly use fvwm and it'll launch it now automatically.

I'm getting pretty close with my reworking of the system to setup things, it's looking really promising :).  I think this should lead into something very user friendly, I have gotten the webmin interface so now you can completely configure the system later just by going to port 80 on it in a web browser.  The setup interface allows for easy administration even after setup has been done, probably plenty of extra functionality now that I can put in there easier than before.  Basically it's the whole blue background console type menu/graphics like in DOS or something now.  Hopefully with the new setup/install system things will be amazingly simple to configure and it'll probably be very close to more of what Ves has envisioned with having just advmenu on startup and a very trimmed down system to just do the emulation stuff.  Also I think I've fixed that pesky bug that caused the X Windows startup to kill the frame buffer console output, which is what I had went to the gdm graphical login for.  So hopefully now it'll be easy to base the initial setup and startup to the console and have startup of X Windows really just startup advmenu and really start simplifying the whole setup of that.

So hopefully in a day or less I'll have a new ISO that will go into testing that, but curious how advmenu runs there so I can possibly fix anything with it for the next ISO while waiting for the rebuild of the X Windows system I'm doing.  In the new way I'm doing things, it'll be more of the idea of just putting the roms in /data/ somewhere or /home/arcade/ or anywhere else and easily changing the advmenu config file to point to them.  So all that linking and translation stuff won't be necessary, which definitely is confusing probably for anyone but me who just happens to have setup mine that way already.  Now they are just the defaults in the advmenu config, easy to change. 
--
The Groovy Organization

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #771 on: January 31, 2011, 11:06:54 am »
Sounds great, that web administration thing will help us a lot! Definitely good to have that. So, if I'm getting it right, one should eventually be able to map the win ntfs partition in case the roms are there, in order to avoid having two copies of the same thing in different partitions? (I think it was actually possible right know, though I didn't try it seriously since we were testing the other stuff)

The iso I'm testing seems to be old then, I downloaded it some days ago, just tested today.
Steps to create a log:

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #772 on: January 31, 2011, 11:26:28 am »
Sounds great, that web administration thing will help us a lot! Definitely good to have that. So, if I'm getting it right, one should eventually be able to map the win ntfs partition in case the roms are there, in order to avoid having two copies of the same thing in different partitions? (I think it was actually possible right know, though I didn't try it seriously since we were testing the other stuff)

The iso I'm testing seems to be old then, I downloaded it some days ago, just tested today.

Yeah in theory, actually the webmin interface will allow you to mount new partitions to the system too, but also it should be possible to choose an ntfs partition for the rom/snap drive or /data/.  I actually need to go through that and make it partition type independent, one thing I did notice was it might right now center around the linux ext4 fs somewhat. 

One thing for sure is that with the this new setup system it's a whole lot easier to add things, alter things, which is what I needed because the startup.pl perl script just has become a nasty mess of code.  Basically I took the Arch Linux Installation Framework or AIF, and used that as the UI API, and now have all these great ways to create menus and stuff in the blue graphical console way using the bash/unix shell scripting.  So it's definitely looking more like a normal Linux installation/setup interface, at least one like the Slackware system used or Arch Linux uses, not graphical but console/DOS menu oriented.

Also Gentoo seems to have moved the 1.9 X Windows versions into stable and so I'm updating everything and dropping the bleeding edge GIT versions of X for the more stable 1.9 version.  That should be better in general, now that they use a version which can remove the default modes and do xrandr  properly.  So I'm going through a complete system update too with that, and it seems to have solved the broken console issue, I think.  I'm still going to have to do more testing with that after done rebuilding/recompiling the updates, see how it acts on the radeon card, and make sure everything is properly functioning. 
--
The Groovy Organization

ves

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2020, 02:57:49 am
« Reply #773 on: January 31, 2011, 06:01:20 pm »
Hi bitbytebit , I believe that these changes may be of interest to leave as hidden as possible the system

Hide mouse on advmenu.

change:
auto device_video_outputby:
device_video_output fullscreen
For loading the game does not go to X and display the snap of the game to load.

change:
display_restoreatgame yesby:
display_restoreatgame no
ui_game  snap

Hide mouse in Xorg

Create file emptycursor /home/arcade/.emptycursor ,these data
#define nn1_width 16
#define nn1_height 16
static unsigned char nn1_bits[] = {
0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,
0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00};

And put in xinitrc or Xsession to run at startup.
xsetroot -cursor /home/arcade/.emptycursor /home/arcade/.emptycursor

That way you can make the kernel load Groovy faster, or carry things in the background as ubuntu?
One could make the driver loaded first hard disk, video, sound and strip the X leaving the other loading processes in the background? (I do not know is that gentoo)
Or I can do to not load both modules?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 06:03:17 pm by ves »

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #774 on: January 31, 2011, 07:02:42 pm »
Hi bitbytebit , I believe that these changes may be of interest to leave as hidden as possible the system

Hide mouse on advmenu.

change:
auto device_video_outputby:
For loading the game does not go to X and display the snap of the game to load.

change:
display_restoreatgame yesby:
display_restoreatgame no
ui_game  snap

Hide mouse in Xorg

Create file emptycursor /home/arcade/.emptycursor ,these data
#define nn1_width 16
#define nn1_height 16
static unsigned char nn1_bits[] = {
0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00};

And put in xinitrc or Xsession to run at startup.
xsetroot -cursor /home/arcade/.emptycursor /home/arcade/.emptycursor

That way you can make the kernel load Groovy faster, or carry things in the background as ubuntu?
One could make the driver loaded first hard disk, video, sound and strip the X leaving the other loading processes in the background? (I do not know is that gentoo)
Or I can do to not load both modules?

Thanks.

Sounds great, I"m testing this right now.  One thing I see though is when setting device_video_output fullscreen for some reason I get a black screen, I'm wondering if it's not working with the display I'm testing on.  Wondering if this option may be a bit device dependent or else I'm doing something wrong or it needs some other option or check too?

I'm not sure if I can do that in Gentoo with getting it to load faster, I'm figuring it for the most part hopefully is decent at loading speed, trying not to do too much that would make it hard to keep updating and utilize the Gentoo emerge/ebuild system for packages.  Sounds like that would be really altering things to make it tricker to maintain, but interesting sounding and would be interested in examples of what the process is to do that.
--
The Groovy Organization

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #775 on: February 01, 2011, 03:09:59 am »
32 and 64 bit ISO images are up for version 1.368-33e345e ...

http://mario.groovy.org

- Completely new Menu Installation and Setup application gasetup
    - More stable X Windows version used now, default Gentoo 1.9.2 Xorg
    - Fixed 32bit CPU usage issues, now same as 64bit version
    - Minimized ISO image size by removing most extra software not needed
    - AdvanceMENU improvements with display and setup
    - No longer use GDM and basically just go straight into advmenu from the console
    - Console used for setup now
    - Now should be able to reconfigure the system very easily at any time though gasetup
    - WebMin interface added, runs on port 80 and accessible through a webbrowser.  Now
      you can setup just about everything on the system through it after you do a disk install.
    - Disk installation should be greatly improved, partioning and formatting done nicer, setup
      in general is much more flexable now.
    - Updated Gentoo system to newest versions of packages for it.
    - For now the ISO doesn't contain much extra, just emulators and what is necessary to run
      them.
    - No longer have a complex setup for /data/ and Rom/Snap locations, it's now up to you to
      simply drop them into /data/ or whereever and point advmenu to them.
    - Grub installation of the MBR for the disk install should be very easy to do now
    - Audio setup should be easy to switch between Alsa and OSS4 now
    - New Xorg version no longer hangs console display, so can go back to the frame buffer
      console now and back into X Windows without issues.

Example of how setup/installer looks.

So now you should be able to copy files through Windows shares easily, setup things through the console setup menu easily, and when installed (or even from LiveCD, but doesn't seem as useful) use webmin by going to http://servername and do just about any modification of the system from there.  

Basically the way to work the menu is that you boot the live CD, setup things the way you like them going through the menu items, the the install to disk is done after that if you want to save it to a hard drive and boot into it after that.  Also if you setup a /home directory it'll save all your changes and boot straight into the system on boots from the liveCD after that.  If you want to alter settings, you just run 'gasetup' as root (sudo -s) and you can change anything you want to, it's not like the old system that didn't allow that to be as easy.  Think of the /data directory as the Roms/Snaps directory which can be a separate partition or not, and you can dump things into there from  the Windows ROMS share accessible in the GROOVY workgroup as the GroovyArcade server.  The webmin interface can go into quite a bit of detailed administration, of course changes are not saved from that for the liveCD, only once installed.  You can do about anything with webmin, should have full control of the advanceMENU config and /home/arcade/ and /data directories through samba.  Hopefully this is really user friendly now, looking for feedback about any bugs or things that could be better, it's a complete rewrite of things so of course I expect there to be a few issues or more.

Look for bugs, post feature requests, now I have a lot of possibilities in the menu system that weren't there before in the old setup method.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 05:11:11 am by bitbytebit »
--
The Groovy Organization

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #776 on: February 01, 2011, 09:01:08 am »
Hi bit, I put my configuration file here, I think I have not touched anything else, I use AVGA 92250 and does not stay black screen, try it and tell me how it went.
advmenu.rc
config save_at_exit
#device_alsa_device default
#device_alsa_mixer channel
device_color_bgr15 yes
device_color_bgr16 yes
device_color_bgr24 yes
device_color_bgr32 yes
device_color_bgr8 yes
device_color_palette8 yes
device_color_yuy2 yes
device_joystick none
device_keyboard auto
device_mouse none
device_raw_firstkeyhack no
device_sdl_samples 512
device_sound auto
device_video auto
device_video_cursor auto
device_video_doublescan yes
device_video_fastchange no
device_video_interlace yes
device_video_overlaysize auto
device_video_singlescan yes
difficulty none
display_brightness 1
display_gamma 1
display_orientation
display_restoreatexit yes
display_restoreatgame no
display_size 640
emulator "mame" sdlmame "switchres" ""
emulator_roms "mame" "/data/roms;/mnt/hd/mame/roms"
emulator_flyers "mame" "/data/fly;/mnt/hd/mame/snap"
emulator_cabinets "mame" "/data/cab;/mnt/hd/mame/cabinets"
emulator_marquees "mame" "/data/mrq;/mnt/hd/mame/marquees"
emulator_icons "mame" "/data/ico"
emulator_titles "mame" "/data/ttl;/mnt/hd/mame/titles"
emulator_altss "mame" "/mnt/hd/mame/snap"
#
emulator "N64" generic "switchres" "n64 --xrandr --emulator mupen64plus --rom %p --args --fullscreen"
emulator_altss "N64" "/data/screen_shots/N64/snaps"
emulator_roms "N64" "/data/Games/N64"
#
emulator "NES" generic "switchres" "nes --emulator nestopia --rom %p"
emulator_altss "NES" "/data/screen_shots/NES/snaps"
emulator_roms "NES" "/data/Games/NES"
#
emulator "SNES" generic "switchres" "snes --emulator zsnes --args -m %p"
emulator_altss "SNES" "/data/screen_shots/SNES/snaps"
emulator_roms "SNES" "/data/Games/SNES"
#
emulator "SegaGenesis" generic "switchres" "genesis --xrandr --emulator gens --rom %p --args --fs --quickexit"
emulator_altss "SegaGenesis" "/data/screen_shots/SegaGenesis/snaps"
emulator_roms "SegaGenesis" "/data/Games/SegaGenesis"
#
emulator "Coleco" generic "switchres" "coleco --emulator mess --rom %p"
emulator_altss "Coleco" "/data/screen_shots/Coleco/snaps"
emulator_roms "Coleco" "/data/Games/Coleco"
#
emulator "Atari2600" generic "switchres" "a2600 --xrandr --emulator stella --rom %p --args -fullscreen 1"
emulator_altss "Atari2600" "/data/screen_shots/Atari2600/snaps"
emulator_roms "Atari2600" "/data/Games/Atari2600"
#
event_alpha no
event_assign up up or 8_pad
event_assign down down or 2_pad
event_assign left left or 4_pad
event_assign right right or 6_pad
event_assign enter enter or enter_pad or 1
event_assign esc esc
event_assign space space
event_assign home home
event_assign end end
event_assign pgup pgup
event_assign pgdn pgdn
event_assign del del
event_assign ins insert
event_assign shutdown 2 or lcontrol esc
event_assign mode tab
event_assign help f1
event_assign group f2
event_assign type f3
event_assign exclude f4
event_assign sort f5
event_assign setgroup f9
event_assign settype f10
event_assign runclone f12
event_assign command f8
event_assign menu backquote or backslash
event_assign emulator f6 or 5
event_assign rotate 0_pad
event_assign lock scrlock
event_assign preview space
event_assign mute period_pad or p
event_mode fast
event_repeat 500 50
icon_space 43
idle_screensaver 60 10
idle_screensaver_preview snap
idle_start 0 0
include
input_hotkey yes
lock yes
menu_base 121
menu_rel 25
merge differential
misc_exit shutdown
#normal
misc_quiet no
mode list
mode_skip
mouse_delta 100
preview snap
preview_default none
preview_default_cabinet none
preview_default_flyer none
preview_default_icon none
preview_default_marquee none
preview_default_snap none
preview_default_title none
preview_expand 1.15
sort parent
sound_background_begin none
sound_background_end none
sound_background_loop sloop.mp3
sound_background_loop_dir "mp3"
sound_background_start none
sound_background_stop none
sound_buffer 0.1
sound_foreground_begin none
sound_foreground_end none
sound_foreground_key none
sound_foreground_start sstart.mp3
sound_foreground_stop none
sound_latency 0.1
sound_samplerate 44100
sound_volume -0  
ui_background none  
ui_bottombar yes
ui_clip single
ui_color help ffffff 000000
ui_color help_tag 00ff00 000000
ui_color submenu_bar 00ff00 000000
ui_color submenu_item ffffff 000000
ui_color submenu_item_select 808080 ffffff
ui_color submenu_hidden 808080 000000
ui_color submenu_hidden_select 000000 808080
ui_color menu_item ffffff 000000
ui_color menu_hidden 808080 000000
ui_color menu_tag 00ff00 000000
ui_color menu_item_select 000000 00ff00
ui_color menu_hidden_select 808080 00ff00
ui_color menu_tag_select ffffff 00ff00
ui_color bar ffffff 000000
ui_color bar_tag 00ff00 000000
ui_color bar_hidden 808080 000000
ui_color grid 00ff00 000000
ui_color backdrop 000000 808080
ui_color icon ffffff 000000
ui_color cursor ffffff 000000
ui_command_error Error running the command
ui_command_menu Command...
ui_console no
ui_exit none
ui_font auto
ui_fontsize 35
#ui_fontsize auto
ui_game snap
ui_gamemsg "Loading"
ui_help none
ui_menukey yes
ui_skipbottom 0
ui_skipleft 0
ui_skipright 0
ui_skiptop 0
ui_startup yes
ui_topbar yes
ui_translucency 0.6
mame/mode list
group_include "<undefined>"
group_include "Bad"
group_include "Good"
group_include "Very Good"
type_include "<undefined>"
type_include "Application"
type_include "Arcade"
type_include "Bet 'em Up"
type_include "Breakout"
type_include "Computer"
type_include "Console"
type_include "Fight"
type_include "Filler"
type_include "Flipper"
type_include "Gun"
type_include "Puzzle"
type_include "RPG"
type_include "Racing"
type_include "Shot 'em Up"
type_include "Sport"
emulator_include "mame"
group "<undefined>"
group "Bad"
group "Good"
group "Very Good"
type "<undefined>"
type "Application"
type "Arcade"
type "Bet 'em Up"
type "Breakout"
type "Computer"
type "Console"
type "Fight"
type "Filler"
type "Flipper"
type "Gun"
type "Puzzle"
type "Racing"
type "RPG"
type "Shot 'em Up"
type "Sport"
emulator_attrib "mame" missing exclude
emulator_attrib "mame" clone exclude
emulator_attrib "mame" bad exclude
emulator_attrib "mame" vector include
emulator_attrib "mame" vertical include
emulator_attrib "mame" neogeo include
emulator_attrib "mame" deco exclude
emulator_attrib "mame" playchoice exclude
emulator_attrib "N64" missing exclude
emulator_attrib "NES" missing exclude
emulator_attrib "SNES" missing exclude
emulator_attrib "SegaGenesis" missing exclude
emulator_attrib "Coleco" missing exclude
emulator_attrib "Atari2600" missing exclude

With regard to not show X when loading a game, with the option ui_game snap in fucnionaba msdo better, here you still see a little X, but much less than without this option, tonight will try to test your latest version and tell you how it went .

You could try the option to hide the mouse in X with xsetroot? has worked for you?

Another option that should be included in the serious advmenu.rc
lock yesso they can not leave the advmenu if you just want to play.

I see you've removed gdm, and load the graphical environment now?

Could make a small howto where are the config files as you need to run, where they are, for they are etc ...? is to get an idea of all that has

Thank

« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 09:04:18 am by ves »

dapsaille

• Offline Offline
« Reply #777 on: February 01, 2011, 09:44:31 am »
Hi, thanks for the new iso, installation is much better now but ....

I've found the following problems  ;D

grub by default use /vmlinuz instead of /boot/vmlinux

I cannot select /home or / partition to store roms un the install menu

eth0 is not set up at boot (maybee i've missed the network config menu)

after boot X fail to start = no screen found [   384.969] (EE) No devices detected. ... it may be related to my special ati crap card ^^

BusID was not good, now it works ^^
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 10:10:16 am by dapsaille »

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #778 on: February 01, 2011, 11:34:00 am »
Hi, thanks for the new iso, installation is much better now but ....

I've found the following problems  ;D

grub by default use /vmlinuz instead of /boot/vmlinux

I cannot select /home or / partition to store roms un the install menu

eth0 is not set up at boot (maybee i've missed the network config menu)

after boot X fail to start = no screen found [   384.969] (EE) No devices detected. ... it may be related to my special ati crap card ^^

BusID was not good, now it works ^^

Thanks, yeah the grub setup was about the only routine I pulled from the Arch Linux installer functions so that figures, I'll have to go through that and fix it.

Actually in the top Disk Setup menu option goes into a menu with the  option to mount a Home drive under /home/arcade and/or a Rom/Snap drive under /data/ which are both writable through the samba share and you should then be able to edit the advancemenu configuration to point under those directories somewhere (default is /data/roms, but can move that to anywhere under /data/ or /home/arcade/).

Yeah the main menu has the Network Setup menu, use it, and you'll be able to setup eth0 through it.

Basically going from menu item 1, and working from there, just not partitioning disks if you don't want to install to or redo partitions, not going into the Install to disk if not wanting to do that.  So basically covering all menu items should be done to setup everything first then last the install, then things will be setup when it installs and it'll use your settings plus the system can be tested first on the liveCD before running the last install menu item.

Update:

Hmm, I don't see that the /vmlinuz or /boot/vmlinux are used in the setup script part anywhere, where are you seeing that?  I'm not sure but should be just /boot/vmlinuz used after install to a partition. 

« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 11:53:07 am by bitbytebit »
--
The Groovy Organization

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #779 on: February 01, 2011, 11:38:39 am »
Hi bit, I put my configuration file here, I think I have not touched anything else, I use AVGA 92250 and does not stay black screen, try it and tell me how it went.
advmenu.rc
config save_at_exit
#device_alsa_device default
#device_alsa_mixer channel
device_color_bgr15 yes
device_color_bgr16 yes
device_color_bgr24 yes
device_color_bgr32 yes
device_color_bgr8 yes
device_color_palette8 yes
device_color_yuy2 yes
device_joystick none
device_keyboard auto
device_mouse none
device_raw_firstkeyhack no
device_sdl_samples 512
device_sound auto
device_video auto
device_video_cursor auto
device_video_doublescan yes
device_video_fastchange no
device_video_interlace yes
device_video_overlaysize auto
device_video_singlescan yes
difficulty none
display_brightness 1
display_gamma 1
display_orientation
display_restoreatexit yes
display_restoreatgame no
display_size 640
emulator "mame" sdlmame "switchres" ""
emulator_roms "mame" "/data/roms;/mnt/hd/mame/roms"
emulator_flyers "mame" "/data/fly;/mnt/hd/mame/snap"
emulator_cabinets "mame" "/data/cab;/mnt/hd/mame/cabinets"
emulator_marquees "mame" "/data/mrq;/mnt/hd/mame/marquees"
emulator_icons "mame" "/data/ico"
emulator_titles "mame" "/data/ttl;/mnt/hd/mame/titles"
emulator_altss "mame" "/mnt/hd/mame/snap"
#
emulator "N64" generic "switchres" "n64 --xrandr --emulator mupen64plus --rom %p --args --fullscreen"
emulator_altss "N64" "/data/screen_shots/N64/snaps"
emulator_roms "N64" "/data/Games/N64"
#
emulator "NES" generic "switchres" "nes --emulator nestopia --rom %p"
emulator_altss "NES" "/data/screen_shots/NES/snaps"
emulator_roms "NES" "/data/Games/NES"
#
emulator "SNES" generic "switchres" "snes --emulator zsnes --args -m %p"
emulator_altss "SNES" "/data/screen_shots/SNES/snaps"
emulator_roms "SNES" "/data/Games/SNES"
#
emulator "SegaGenesis" generic "switchres" "genesis --xrandr --emulator gens --rom %p --args --fs --quickexit"
emulator_altss "SegaGenesis" "/data/screen_shots/SegaGenesis/snaps"
emulator_roms "SegaGenesis" "/data/Games/SegaGenesis"
#
emulator "Coleco" generic "switchres" "coleco --emulator mess --rom %p"
emulator_altss "Coleco" "/data/screen_shots/Coleco/snaps"
emulator_roms "Coleco" "/data/Games/Coleco"
#
emulator "Atari2600" generic "switchres" "a2600 --xrandr --emulator stella --rom %p --args -fullscreen 1"
emulator_altss "Atari2600" "/data/screen_shots/Atari2600/snaps"
emulator_roms "Atari2600" "/data/Games/Atari2600"
#
event_alpha no
event_assign up up or 8_pad
event_assign down down or 2_pad
event_assign left left or 4_pad
event_assign right right or 6_pad
event_assign enter enter or enter_pad or 1
event_assign esc esc
event_assign space space
event_assign home home
event_assign end end
event_assign pgup pgup
event_assign pgdn pgdn
event_assign del del
event_assign ins insert
event_assign shutdown 2 or lcontrol esc
event_assign mode tab
event_assign help f1
event_assign group f2
event_assign type f3
event_assign exclude f4
event_assign sort f5
event_assign setgroup f9
event_assign settype f10
event_assign runclone f12
event_assign command f8
event_assign menu backquote or backslash
event_assign emulator f6 or 5
event_assign rotate 0_pad
event_assign lock scrlock
event_assign preview space
event_assign mute period_pad or p
event_mode fast
event_repeat 500 50
icon_space 43
idle_screensaver 60 10
idle_screensaver_preview snap
idle_start 0 0
include
input_hotkey yes
lock yes
menu_base 121
menu_rel 25
merge differential
misc_exit shutdown
#normal
misc_quiet no
mode list
mode_skip
mouse_delta 100
preview snap
preview_default none
preview_default_cabinet none
preview_default_flyer none
preview_default_icon none
preview_default_marquee none
preview_default_snap none
preview_default_title none
preview_expand 1.15
sort parent
sound_background_begin none
sound_background_end none
sound_background_loop sloop.mp3
sound_background_loop_dir "mp3"
sound_background_start none
sound_background_stop none
sound_buffer 0.1
sound_foreground_begin none
sound_foreground_end none
sound_foreground_key none
sound_foreground_start sstart.mp3
sound_foreground_stop none
sound_latency 0.1
sound_samplerate 44100
sound_volume -0  
ui_background none  
ui_bottombar yes
ui_clip single
ui_color help ffffff 000000
ui_color help_tag 00ff00 000000
ui_color submenu_bar 00ff00 000000
ui_color submenu_item ffffff 000000
ui_color submenu_item_select 808080 ffffff
ui_color submenu_hidden 808080 000000
ui_color submenu_hidden_select 000000 808080
ui_color menu_item ffffff 000000
ui_color menu_hidden 808080 000000
ui_color menu_tag 00ff00 000000
ui_color menu_item_select 000000 00ff00
ui_color menu_hidden_select 808080 00ff00
ui_color menu_tag_select ffffff 00ff00
ui_color bar ffffff 000000
ui_color bar_tag 00ff00 000000
ui_color bar_hidden 808080 000000
ui_color grid 00ff00 000000
ui_color backdrop 000000 808080
ui_color icon ffffff 000000
ui_color cursor ffffff 000000
ui_command_error Error running the command
ui_command_menu Command...
ui_console no
ui_exit none
ui_font auto
ui_fontsize 35
#ui_fontsize auto
ui_game snap
ui_gamemsg "Loading"
ui_help none
ui_menukey yes
ui_skipbottom 0
ui_skipleft 0
ui_skipright 0
ui_skiptop 0
ui_startup yes
ui_topbar yes
ui_translucency 0.6
mame/mode list
group_include "<undefined>"
group_include "Bad"
group_include "Good"
group_include "Very Good"
type_include "<undefined>"
type_include "Application"
type_include "Arcade"
type_include "Bet 'em Up"
type_include "Breakout"
type_include "Computer"
type_include "Console"
type_include "Fight"
type_include "Filler"
type_include "Flipper"
type_include "Gun"
type_include "Puzzle"
type_include "RPG"
type_include "Racing"
type_include "Shot 'em Up"
type_include "Sport"
emulator_include "mame"
group "<undefined>"
group "Bad"
group "Good"
group "Very Good"
type "<undefined>"
type "Application"
type "Arcade"
type "Bet 'em Up"
type "Breakout"
type "Computer"
type "Console"
type "Fight"
type "Filler"
type "Flipper"
type "Gun"
type "Puzzle"
type "Racing"
type "RPG"
type "Shot 'em Up"
type "Sport"
emulator_attrib "mame" missing exclude
emulator_attrib "mame" clone exclude
emulator_attrib "mame" bad exclude
emulator_attrib "mame" vector include
emulator_attrib "mame" vertical include
emulator_attrib "mame" neogeo include
emulator_attrib "mame" deco exclude
emulator_attrib "mame" playchoice exclude
emulator_attrib "N64" missing exclude
emulator_attrib "NES" missing exclude
emulator_attrib "SNES" missing exclude
emulator_attrib "SegaGenesis" missing exclude
emulator_attrib "Coleco" missing exclude
emulator_attrib "Atari2600" missing exclude

With regard to not show X when loading a game, with the option ui_game snap in fucnionaba msdo better, here you still see a little X, but much less than without this option, tonight will try to test your latest version and tell you how it went .

You could try the option to hide the mouse in X with xsetroot? has worked for you?

Another option that should be included in the serious advmenu.rc
lock yesso they can not leave the advmenu if you just want to play.

I see you've removed gdm, and load the graphical environment now?

Could make a small howto where are the config files as you need to run, where they are, for they are etc ...? is to get an idea of all that has

Thank

Thanks for the config, yeah I included the full screen option on the ISO and it works on my cab, just didn't on my laptop.  I don't think it works on all video cards especially an LCD with an intel on a laptop :).  

I have the cursor setup also in the new ISO, so it's there and it works good.  

I'll go through and do more experimenting and adding options for advancemenu from this, thanks for showing me all these, nice and they are very obscure to find tons of information on these options so great that your bringing them to my attention.

Update:

Yeah gdm is gone, definitely nicer now just running advmenu basically.  There's definitely a lot more possibilities now, and hopefully can build up some documentation from the experiences of people using it and see what needs to be improved to help it be easier. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 11:57:53 am by bitbytebit »
--
The Groovy Organization

emphatic

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 01:08:03 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #780 on: February 01, 2011, 01:40:59 pm »
Noob question: If I download, burn and boot from this CD, will I be able to do all the install steps using a VGA screen? So if I choose to install a 15kHz setup, this resolution won't be activated until I reboot?

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #781 on: February 01, 2011, 01:50:23 pm »
Noob question: If I download, burn and boot from this CD, will I be able to do all the install steps using a VGA screen? So if I choose to install a 15kHz setup, this resolution won't be activated until I reboot?
Yeah you should be able to install using a VGA screen.  When your in the grub menu, the choice you pick with be 15khz, like DVI-1 for example, but all others will work normal as VGA 31.5khz.  So basically if you hook up a monitor to the other output, like VGA-1 but choose DVI-1 to be 15khz at the grub menu.  Then you can install from VGA, choose monitor type as CGA 15khz in the setup menu still, and when you reboot the system the installation should output 15khz on the DVI-1 interface you picked at the grub menu originally.  Also you can edit the grub config to use another interface for 15khz too or even install as SVGA, and then edit grub and reconfigure the monitor type in gasetup later. 

Sounds like a good menu option in setup would be to change that 15khz output to whatever a user wanted and have a menu of available ones.  Right now it can be done through the above by taking advantage of the fact that the grub menu option chosen is the only output at 15khz and the rest will always be normal outputs to VGA/SVGA frequencies.  Also the installer looks at which one you picked and puts that into the /boot/grub/grub.conf file, so it could be edited after that too (install is done to /groovyarcade/ chroot directory, so after running install you can always go in there and fiddle with things before rebooting or go into webmin at the system after reboot and edit stuff there too, even without the monitor working).
--
The Groovy Organization

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #782 on: February 01, 2011, 02:45:05 pm »
I've been testing the new iso and the setup with those dos-like menus windows is really cool :) Everything is so easy to do now, and you can go back and forth if you make some mistake, the reboot option helps also. Video, sound, etc is working perfect as with the last versions (sound still is very low compared to Windows even if I choose level 25, suppose it's something with my card, not important anyway). Still haven't tested the network. Just noticed that the snaps in Advancemu are not showing for some reason.
Steps to create a log:

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #783 on: February 01, 2011, 07:06:56 pm »
Hello bitbytebit tests with LiveCD32-Full-1.368-33e345e.iso

Grub still fails, you can make a solution a bit sloppy as to create initrd vmlinuz symlinks in /

I think you should warn for newbies to choose the home directory is to put it on a partition other than the installation because it can not be installed, as well as data.

Here I have my doubts if you choose a partition to install the live and another to take home, which creates data?
Do not think it is best to default data within the home? Sorry for insisting on this, but I think it would be as easy for any newbies.

For xterm loads. xinitrc? If you hide the mouse, remove gdm etc. .. is to make it look as possible to the system, no? to me it has worked well without putting advmenu xterm.

After installation, the boot does not directly load X, it waits console login.
What application do you use to autologin? mingetty ...?

I tried mame and mess, but I can not always run the libraries fail with Alsa, but alsa or oss configure the installation, always the same error of libraries alsa, and I can not run any game.
I do not think that imaging can be corrupt, and I set advmenu to sound a mp3 while you're on the list of games working well, so it can be a bad compilation, right?

Another thing that would be interesting is that the arcade user can use the shutdown command to turn off the machine from a key or key combination, I was wearing with 2 +5 key in msdos, but in linux I have not been able to do not function to run shutdown from regular user.

Thank you and Goodnight today.

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #784 on: February 01, 2011, 07:24:48 pm »
Hello bitbytebit tests with LiveCD32-Full-1.368-33e345e.iso

Grub still fails, you can make a solution a bit sloppy as to create initrd vmlinuz symlinks in /

I think you should warn for newbies to choose the home directory is to put it on a partition other than the installation because it can not be installed, as well as data.

Here I have my doubts if you choose a partition to install the live and another to take home, which creates data?
Do not think it is best to default data within the home? Sorry for insisting on this, but I think it would be as easy for any newbies.

For xterm loads. xinitrc? If you hide the mouse, remove gdm etc. .. is to make it look as possible to the system, no? to me it has worked well without putting advmenu xterm.

After installation, the boot does not directly load X, it waits console login.
What application do you use to autologin? mingetty ...?

I tried mame and mess, but I can not always run the libraries fail with Alsa, but alsa or oss configure the installation, always the same error of libraries alsa, and I can not run any game.
I do not think that imaging can be corrupt, and I set advmenu to sound a mp3 while you're on the list of games working well, so it can be a bad compilation, right?

Another thing that would be interesting is that the arcade user can use the shutdown command to turn off the machine from a key or key combination, I was wearing with 2 +5 key in msdos, but in linux I have not been able to do not function to run shutdown from regular user.

Thank you and Goodnight today.

Ah, I'll have to look closer at grub still, so it really wants things in / I guess.  Else might be a way to force it to look at /boot/ too.

It won't let people choose /home and the install to be the same, I put in checks which block that and tell the user it can't work that way.

The data partition would be on the install drive just as a folder /data/ if they don't choose a separate partition for /data, same too for /home.  So they don't really need to pick either of those, or they can pick one or both of them, and just should have  a directory structure with possible separate mounts as...
/
/data/
/home/arcade/

Are you thinking it might be better to have /home/ as the partition?  The trick with that, is that for the LiveCD to use a drive but also always boot into the liveCD, it checks for /.config/ga.conf on each partition on the system and if that exists it can save the state of the liveCD and reboot directly into the previous setup.  So having /home/arcade/ as an actual separate partition is the easiest way to do that and have it basically be a users home directory entirely.  I guess it could be done though as /home/ and just have arcade/.config/ga.conf checked too, and probably simplify the need for any /data/ directory and use /home/ itself.  Although then you might have people with separate partitions with ROMS or even want to have /data/ be a USB drive or DVD/CDROM mount too.  So definitely plenty to think about there, this should be an interesting thing to restructure perhaps but will need to think about it more.

The xterm -> advmenu launch is mostly because of an issue with X Windows for some reason not exiting clean directly from advmenu.  I'm not sure why, but the only way it will exit back to the console is through launching from an xterm.  I think it might be some issue with the newer frame buffer and/or X Windows version and advmenu doing something kind of messy on exit (it segfaults otherwise).  So seems like it gets by the issue for now, but I agree I wish it didn't show an xterm there although it does help the user know what's going on too and allows some system admin from the xterm on exit.

I was wondering about Alsa setup, I am sure there might be a few bugs still in switching to it from OSS4, I'll have to work on that.  I'm not sure why the sound is odd there, it's great here but then again in Linux we have seen the sound cards do totally different things and what works well for OSS4 on one might not on another and Alsa might do the same on one but not an other.

Do you have error logs at all about what they say when trying Alsa, might help me figure out more, I need to test it too but any output logs of the games and Alsa would help too (the errors they spit out during OSS4 are just a side effect of them expecting Alsa and trying it first, but most things work just switch to try directly on the /dev/dsp interface after first trying Alsa).

I would like the shutdown command to work from advmenu, but it's going to have to probably run shutdown with sudo which would work but I guess it's not doing that.  It seems to check if your the root user and won't allow shutdown otherwise.  Maybe that's a code change that could be done in advmenu directly I am guessing.

Thanks for the feedback, definitely interesting, sounds like grub setup is needing work for sure, and possibly simplifying how /home/arcade and /data/ are done.  The xterm thing is tricky and I have to do some testing with it.  Alsa/OSS4 switching probably aren't working right yet, and maybe altering advmenu source to allow shutdown if we sudo to root privileges.

Update: Found the fix for grub, realized I was doing that in putting it as /vmlinuz :) so fixed that.  Also might have figured out an Alsa issue which might have chosen the wrong interface to unmute the mixer, check you mixer, but sounds like there might be another issue there with Alsa.  I'm still wondering why OSS4 does odd Volume sounds there though, seems like there's something else going on causing that, not sure what though. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 08:12:44 pm by bitbytebit »
--
The Groovy Organization

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #785 on: February 01, 2011, 11:06:10 pm »
figured out the advmenu hang issue, patched it to fix that, turned out the terminal check was hanging for some reason and that's why the xterm launch worked (so I don't enable the terminal reset call on exit and it works fine now).  I tested Alsa changing from OSS4 with my fix, and I could do it here so that should work now.  Fixed the grub issue, so that should work correctly now too.  I now know why advmenu won't shutdown the machine, since it can't run the halt command.  I like the menu allowing it to shutdown though since exiting out to the menu is nice, but probably the fix to allow that to work if configured is setting the halt command setuid or some group membership possibly for the arcade user.  I'll look at that here in a bit. 

So should have a new set os ISO's up by tomorrow with those fixes, also now in the Video menu config you can go through and change the 15khz output port used in Grub.  So can go in after install and enable 15khz, (this only works after the install and requires a reboot to activate the change in output), can even enable 15khz on all output interfaces if you want or have one be a TV, other VGA, other CGA 15khz if you really wanted.  It's pretty flexible and hopefully works correctly :), but seems to be a pretty nice option that I had not thought of which really makes it easier to setup the system and change output ports and monitors without knowing grub.conf editing skills (and can do it remotely too).
--
The Groovy Organization

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #786 on: February 02, 2011, 02:40:32 pm »
New ISO with many fixes

LiveCD32-Full-MMD-1.393-14b54d6.iso (64 bit one uploading now, should be available too in a few hours)

* This also updates to the 2.6.38-rc3 kernel, to get some interesting fixes they made there
* It's now the Multimedia/Desktop build which includes the web browser and window managers in case one wants to make it a desktop    system too, it's an option in the configuration menu but by default it's just the stripped down AdvanceMenu interface.
* Hopefully makes it easy to switch each output to a different KHz setting or even turn off certain video outputs (that broken laptop may be interesting with this option? can easily turn off the LVDS display for it).  Of course you have to install first and then reboot to enable the changes made.
* Auto login of arcade user after install and reboot, it uses either GDM to do that or a similar method the LiveCD uses for that.
* Hopefully have gotten the grub thing fixed, issue has been that I have to test this on my already setup systems with an extra partition so I don't have a safe way to test grub installation (yet, hopefully I will soon).

Test and send feedback, I think it's getting better :) At least I'm enjoying testing setup/install more than the painful previous methods I was using before the menu system.  I am really curious how the output configuration stuff works for people, seems like an interesting thing that's been missing being able to have a setup menu for all video cards and outputs on the system.  I'm looking at probably redoing a lot of the X setup for the config file it uses next, I'm thinking from the way I did the video output enumerating and stuff it could benefit X setup a lot.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 02:44:10 pm by bitbytebit »
--
The Groovy Organization

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #787 on: February 03, 2011, 02:43:17 am »
I'm testing this new patch to see if it helps reducing input lag while fixing the multithreading + vsync issue.

diff -Nru a/src/osd/windows/drawdd.c b/src/osd/windows/drawdd.c
--- a/src/osd/windows/drawdd.c 2010-12-02 18:26:38.000000000 +0100
+++ b/src/osd/windows/drawdd.c 2011-01-26 23:04:27.000000000 +0100
@@ -457,7 +457,7 @@
  if (result != DD_OK) mame_printf_verbose("DirectDraw: Error %08X unlocking blit surface\n", (int)result);

// sync to VBLANK
- if ((video_config.waitvsync || video_config.syncrefresh) && window->machine->video().throttled() && (!window->fullscreen || dd->back == NULL))
+ if ((video_config.waitvsync || video_config.syncrefresh) && (!window->fullscreen || dd->back == NULL))
  {
  result = IDirectDraw7_WaitForVerticalBlank(dd->ddraw, DDWAITVB_BLOCKBEGIN, NULL);
  if (result != DD_OK) mame_printf_verbose("DirectDraw: Error %08X waiting for VBLANK\n", (int)result);
diff -Nru a/src/osd/windows/window.c b/src/osd/windows/window.c
--- a/src/osd/windows/window.c 2010-12-02 18:26:38.000000000 +0100
+++ b/src/osd/windows/window.c 2011-01-26 23:04:27.000000000 +0100
@@ -775,7 +775,15 @@
  last_update_time = timeGetTime();
  mtlog_add("winwindow_video_window_update: PostMessage start");
  if (multithreading_enabled)
- PostMessage(window->hwnd, WM_USER_REDRAW, 0, (LPARAM)primlist);
+ {
+ if ((video_config.waitvsync || video_config.syncrefresh) && video_config.mode != VIDEO_MODE_GDI)
+ {
+ window->primlist = primlist;
+ draw_video_contents(window, NULL, FALSE);
+ }
+ else
+ PostMessage(window->hwnd, WM_USER_REDRAW, 0, (LPARAM)primlist);
+ }
  else
  SendMessage(window->hwnd, WM_USER_REDRAW, 0, (LPARAM)primlist);
  mtlog_add("winwindow_video_window_update: PostMessage end");

It is intended to be run with syncrefresh, nothrottle, notriplebuffer, multithreading.

Basically it tries to prove if doing the blit in the main thread helps at all to reduce input lag by leaving the window thread free to process input events. So in theory this should be the same that only using throttle (from lag point of view).

I'm testing it here and well... it feels good but not sure if it makes any difference. Tomorrow I'll upload a binary and hopefully your more experienced eyes can judge.

Here's my take on this patch in the SDL side of Mame, not sure but seems like this is essentially the same idea.  I think it helps, but then again it's very subjective and I'm probably not the best person to judge input lag.  It's interesting how from what I can tell in SDL the input and OSD draw is done in a different way so it seems to really not be the same as the Windows OSD in how it can be done better than currently it's done.  At least from what I can tell, this looks like the best way in SDL, because it's essentially allowing any waiting for the Vblank to poll the input still so the OSD thread still effectively runs the input polling and the main thread runs through and then waits for the next Vblank.  Very much like my previous patch I had tried this with but a bit more like the current method they chose in Mame for SDL waitvsync and syncrefresh. 

Also I have done this in 0141, because 0141u1 has such terrible bugs with mario and dkong games in audio that I just can't stand it :).
Hopefully they fix that in the next update, definitely a big bummer.

index 02f6cc6..a3603fe 100644
--- a/src/osd/sdl/window.c
+++ b/src/osd/sdl/window.c
@@ -989,8 +989,30 @@ void sdlwindow_video_window_update(running_machine *machine, sdl_window_info *wi
                        }
                }

+               int draw_it = 0;
+               if (video_config.waitvsync && multithreading_enabled) {
+                       osd_ticks_t             event_wait_ticks;
+                       event_wait_ticks = osd_ticks_per_second(); // block at most a second
+                       int count = 0;
+
+                       draw_it = 1;
+                       while (osd_event_wait(window->rendered_event, 1000)) {
+                               count++;
+                               if ((count*1000) >= event_wait_ticks) {
+                                       draw_it = 0;
+                                       break;
+                               }
+
+                               // poll the joystick values here
+                               sdlinput_poll(machine);
+                       }
+               } else {
+                       if (osd_event_wait(window->rendered_event, 0))
+                               draw_it = 1;
+               }
+
                // only render if we have been signalled
-               if (osd_event_wait(window->rendered_event, 0))
+               if (draw_it)
                {
                        worker_param wp;
                        render_primitive_list *primlist;

--
The Groovy Organization

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #788 on: February 03, 2011, 03:45:29 pm »
Hello bitbytebit.

The installation and set up good grub.

No charges directly advmenu, load X with xterm, ignores. xinitrc or. Xclients, where you set the boot? not that used to load files directly, please tell me where that option is configured.

Since ALSA is included in the live, there is no way that I have sound working mame advmenu with osstest etc. .. but when I run mame always the same error ALSA, I tested the card on-board sound and a sound blaster 128.

The user can not use arcade shutdown, no permits.

Because GDM has been reprogrammed?

use gdm? if not then inittab will loging arcade user to menu system
With this question, GroovyArcade is configured to boot in X and tty's advmenu asking logins, and if not out gasetup tty1 and cargo X advmenu, no (although advmenu not load, just X with xterm)?

logs:
ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4154:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:4154:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:4154:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4633:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2211:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
OpenGL: PBO not supported
mame: radeon_cs_gem.c:181: cs_gem_write_reloc: Assertion `boi->space_accounted' failed.
Aborted

arcade@GroovyArcade ~ $ mame robby
ALSA lib conf.c:4154:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4154:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4154:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4633:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
mame: radeon_cs_gem.c:181: cs_gem_write_reloc: Assertion `boi->space_accounted' failed.
Aborted

Thank
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 04:06:59 pm by ves »

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #789 on: February 03, 2011, 04:04:14 pm »
Hello bitbytebit.

The installation and set up good grub.

No charges directly advmenu, load X with xterm, ignores. xinitrc or. Xclients, where you set the boot? not that used to load files directly, please tell me where that option is configured.

Did you try to do the install without GDM?  It might be GDM, I tested the console boot option and it at least enters the menu on boot like the liveCD does, and can start up X Windows from there with the Start Front End/WM option fine.  It uses .xinitrc for that method, and should have .Xclients there for GDM.  GDM should autologin as the arcade user and start advmenu automatically.  The /bin/bashlogin file is what is launched on the first terminal if you don't choose the GDM startup option, and it launches /root/.bash_profile which contains the gasetup script command.  I think there's a way though to have that first console startup X as the arcade user instead of root, although I like the menu to fall back to and configure stuff, although need a setting to override that I guess to boot directly into everything without needing GDM.

Since ALSA is included in the live, there is no way that I have sound working mame advmenu with osstest etc. .. but when I run mame always the same error ALSA, I tested the card on-board sound and a sound blaster 128.

Where do you you change it to alsa at, during live install or after?  You should try either one, it might need to be done after install when rebooted, or it might be better before install, I'm not sure.  Also check alsamixer to make sure it is really working, you can't really go back from Alsa to OSS4 though, that's one limitation (at least need to reboot to unload the modules).

The user can not use arcade shutdown, no permits.

Because GDM has been reprogrammed?

I know how to fix that actually, it's doesn't work currently because the halt command isn't allowed to be ran by the arcade user.  I should have a way to work around that, will try to figure that out soon.

logs:
Aborted

arcade@GroovyArcade ~ $ mame robby
Aborted

what does the output of `aplay -l` show you on your system?  Some applications complain about alsa missing but still work, so it's not always a problem.  does alsamixer work, or ossmix? 

Thank

--
The Groovy Organization

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #790 on: February 03, 2011, 04:36:16 pm »
Did you try to do the install without GDM?  It might be GDM, I tested the console boot option and it at least enters the menu on boot like the liveCD does, and can start up X Windows from there with the Start Front End/WM option fine.  It uses .xinitrc for that method, and should have .Xclients there for GDM.  GDM should autologin as the arcade user and start advmenu automatically.  The /bin/bashlogin file is what is launched on the first terminal if you don't choose the GDM startup option, and it launches /root/.bash_profile which contains the gasetup script command.  I think there's a way though to have that first console startup X as the arcade user instead of root, although I like the menu to fall back to and configure stuff, although need a setting to override that I guess to boot directly into everything without needing GDM.

Where do you you change it to alsa at, during live install or after?  You should try either one, it might need to be done after install when rebooted, or it might be better before install, I'm not sure.  Also check alsamixer to make sure it is really working, you can't really go back from Alsa to OSS4 though, that's one limitation (at least need to reboot to unload the modules).

Yes, I tried to do and about 5 or 6 installations, but I always feel the same, I used gdm gdm and no, I left the section without setting up and configuring sound with alsa or oss, I configured after installing alsa oss frontend etc .. and always the same, errors and does not load ALSA advmenu, only X and xterm.

I've seen that in root or no files .bashr... arcade .... That would be correct?
Like I said before I have configured with oss sound and X advmenu do the osstest and works well, also works the ossxmix me, but still the same.
Now after many Cambion between alsa and oss, I could do duncionar alsamixer, but continues to suckle failures, does not run and gives this error.

That may be happening? may be to include oss and alsa at the same time?

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #791 on: February 03, 2011, 04:39:07 pm »

Yes, I tried to do and about 5 or 6 installations, but I always feel the same, I used gdm gdm and no, I left the section without setting up and configuring sound with alsa or oss, I configured after installing alsa oss frontend etc .. and always the same, errors and does not load ALSA advmenu, only X and xterm.

I've seen that in root or no files .bashr... arcade .... That would be correct?
Like I said before I have configured with oss sound and X advmenu do the osstest and works well, also works the ossxmix me, but still the same.
Now after many Cambion between alsa and oss, I could do duncionar alsamixer, but continues to suckle failures, does not run and gives this error.

That may be happening? may be to include oss and alsa at the same time?

How are you starting up X?   Are you launching it from the menu option #7 or from the command line?   
--
The Groovy Organization

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #792 on: February 03, 2011, 04:42:27 pm »
it now if I understand, X automatically runs xterm, if you want to use from the HD mounting procedures gasetup I can not run the option 7 as it is the X server running
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 04:44:58 pm by ves »

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #793 on: February 03, 2011, 04:47:24 pm »
I do not understand what you mean

Are you launching into advmenu from the menu option, or from the command line?  I'm wondering, because what your seeing sounds like what would happen if you were the root user instead of the arcade user.  It is just launching an xterm, and there's no .xinitrc for your user too. 

What does your /home/arcade/ directory look like with `ls -altr`

What does / look like with `ls -altr`

I'm thinking either the setup is getting confused and not setting up /home/arcade properly or your somehow launching X Windows as the root user.
--
The Groovy Organization

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #794 on: February 03, 2011, 04:55:19 pm »
root
/root/:
total 44
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 18642 Dec 12 06:48 .fvwm2rc
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  1228 Jan 31 20:03 compile_kernel.sh
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  6369 Feb  2 06:15 .Xdefaults
drwxr-xr-x 20 root root  4096 Feb  3 16:04 ..
-rw-------  1 root root  1976 Feb  3 16:40 .viminfo
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  4096 Feb  3 16:52 .

home/arcade
/home/arcade/:
total 132
drwxr-xr-x  2 arcade arcade  4096 Aug 18 17:23 fonts
drwxr-xr-x  2 arcade arcade  4096 Dec  1 05:42 .zsnes
drwxr-xr-x  2 arcade arcade  4096 Dec  1 05:42 .stella
drwxr-xr-x  2 arcade arcade  4096 Dec  1 05:42 .mess
drwxr-xr-x  2 arcade arcade  4096 Dec  1 05:42 .mame
drwxr-xr-x  2 arcade arcade  4096 Dec  1 05:42 .gens
drwxr-xr-x  2 arcade arcade  4096 Dec  1 05:42 .fvwm
-rw-r--r--  1 arcade arcade  6369 Dec  1 05:42 .Xdefaults
drwxr-xr-x  2 arcade arcade  4096 Dec  1 17:03 hi
drwxr-xr-x  6 arcade arcade  4096 Dec 10 00:18 .wahcade
drwxr-xr-x  4 arcade arcade  4096 Dec 28 22:23 emulators
drwxr-xr-x  2 arcade arcade  4096 Jan 25 13:53 .nestopia
drwxr-xr-x  2 arcade arcade  4096 Jan 25 14:35 ini
-rw-r--r--  1 arcade arcade   272 Jan 31 17:29 .emptycursor
drwxr-xr-x  2 arcade arcade  4096 Feb  1 22:00 .advance
-rw-r--r--  1 arcade arcade  6081 Feb  2 04:21 mame.ini
-rw-r--r--  1 arcade arcade  6038 Feb  2 04:22 mess.ini
-rw-r--r--  1 arcade arcade 18447 Feb  2 05:07 .fvwm2rc
drwxr-xr-x  3 root   root    4096 Feb  2 06:15 ..
lrwxrwxrwx  1 arcade arcade     8 Feb  3 15:58 .Xclients -> .xinitrc
-rw-r--r--  1 root   root      34 Feb  3 16:03 switchres.conf
-rw-r--r--  1 arcade arcade   107 Feb  3 16:03 .xinitrc
drwxr-xr-x  3 arcade arcade  4096 Feb  3 16:45 .config
-rw-------  1 arcade arcade   123 Feb  3 16:46 .Xauthority
-rw-------  1 arcade arcade    28 Feb  3 16:46 .dmrc
-rw-r--r--  1 arcade arcade    94 Feb  3 16:46 .xsession-errors
-rw-r--r--  1 root   root       0 Feb  3 16:52 logs
drwxr-xr-x 16 arcade arcade  4096 Feb  3 16:52 .

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #795 on: February 03, 2011, 05:05:30 pm »
it now if I understand, X automatically runs xterm, if you want to use from the HD mounting procedures gasetup I can not run the option 7 as it is the X server running
How does it work from the liveCD running things, when not installing to hard drive?  You should be able to run the X Windows from the menu in the liveCD.  Once installed, if you use GDM, then you won't be able to.  If installed, and no GDM, then it should be using the menu to launch X Windows.
--
The Groovy Organization

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #796 on: February 03, 2011, 05:16:44 pm »
With the LiveCD without installing and 7 of the menu option runs gasetup advmenu X but fails to load a game alsa etc ...
With the option installed and Livecd 7 runs and fails advmenu X mame.
It seems the arcade board is fine as is. xinitr. Xclient etc. .. but I see the bash and not if it takes, I copied all bash / etc / skel, but does not work.

How to do autologin? I used mingetty, here it is?

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #797 on: February 03, 2011, 05:44:32 pm »
I've noticed that if I kill the process gdm and X from the user terminal arcade run startx advmenu charge me directly, so the problem we have with gdm as it does not load the file that xinitrc, but still gives the same error with alsa and OpenGL: PBO not supported

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #798 on: February 03, 2011, 05:55:16 pm »
I've noticed that if I kill the process gdm and X from the user terminal arcade run startx advmenu charge me directly, so the problem we have with gdm as it does not load the file that xinitrc, but still gives the same error with alsa and OpenGL: PBO not supported
Try without gdm since i suspect gdm to be non-working right now after an install, which is the only place it is used if chosen. 

the OpenGL message is not an error, it means your video card doesn't support the PBO stuff, should still be ok without that.  Also the alsa messages are probably just warnings I think, mame likes to try and use alsa first before going to oss.  Which possibly Alsa for some reason isn't installing right so probably breaks OSS but also Alsa doesn't get setup right.

I'm not sure why it's having the Alsa issue, I'll have to double check here again.  Also the gdm probably may be something I need to alter in how it's setup.  if you look in the /etc/inittab file at the bottom it'll show on console (c1) the agetty process and how it's used to startup the first console (only if you aren't using gdm, else gdm just starts).
--
The Groovy Organization

ves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #799 on: February 03, 2011, 06:09:48 pm »
By using alsaconf recognize the modem, I created the file and start alsa.conf in modprobe to load the driver but it gives error
error failed to load necessary drivers.

Once after trying many times to configure sound from alsaconfig gasetup or I could use alsamixer but no mame, zsnes works but I have not tried games.

Hope you whistle for something.