Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GroovyMAME 0.227 - Switchres v0.017t  (Read 434933 times)

schmerzkaufen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
Re: GroovyMAME 0.227 - Switchres v0.017t
« Reply #1200 on: January 17, 2021, 12:58:47 pm »
If the thing was essentially about CRT compatibility ported to other emulators then that could have been stated on multiple occasions the several times I asked around, I wouldn't have had been left in the dark, and that'd have been cool no problem,
It's good news indeed! did i say otherwise?

For the f* 100th time I play on CRTs too, as per usual no one in this community ever really reads whatever I post about and is by default prejudiced against whatever I write no matter the context, because no one understands what I'm about.
My stance for like 15 years has been that new displays exist and the former are harder to get every year, therefore it's important to think of developing the alternatives so as not to stay isolated and self-centerted elistists (I know that sounds like asking nerds the imopossible lol), and keep the thing alive for everyone on earth, on both CRTs and flat panels, as much as possible.

That's the other part of preservation no one in the dev scene ever wanted to hear about with enough honesty, the part that MAME always stated is not their business, yet weighs like 50% in players/end users appreciation of old games emulation along useability.
The part that RA profited from in an unholy perverse way because that area was left largely unattended.
I think like most ppl in this community as it's been the case with mamedevs you still don't get how crucial it's always been even outside the CRT hobby. Reality's never been CRT vs flat panels users, or accuracy vs cosmetics, or gamers vs developers, or mainstream vs niche, nor any other sterile 'VS' anyways.

Not understanding that is why ppl in this scene so prompt at raising the shields, uselessly.
That's sad honestly, I know prejudice never dies, things will never change.

So in short; only GroovyMAME/Calamity has been an island of reason between all those prejudiced factions refusing to understand each other, and after all these years, step by step he and a handful of helpers managed to make things right up to the limits of what current developed designs allow.
(it's been so for a few years already but it was honestly too esoteric or unpractical for the majority of the end users base, those final steps were mandatory)
The injustice under the heavens for humanity to never have had a MAME that fits in all hands and being able to play the games as well as tech permits, has been corrected.

Things apparently can go further with the more advanced and refined features Calamity mentioned, but today from 0.227 a major page of history has nevertheless been turned and that's what matters.
Now even someone without a CRT can start Groovy and benefit from its features and extras that honour the games - of course not like on CRT - but better than mainline MAME or other builds ever did, without struggling with painful configuration lots of users previously wouldn't get how to do correctly, documentation and help notwhistanding,

You like most members here may not care because you're prejudiced and only want to see things from a 'factions' point of view, that's the typical scene/niche thinking, but I'm different as I was always a hardcore universalist, wishing that MAME became something like GroovyMAME and particularily this first 'completed' form.

RA understood very well that the huge majority of users didn't have CRTs and couldn't easily get one (and even for those who could the technical challenge can be too much), that they still wanted lag reduction, nice post processing like shaders, all with easy access and configuration in the UI, not esoteric lines of text and commands with endless pages of hard to assimilate documentation, so they've brought ppl all that and from the day the 'classic windows GUI builds' disappeared (iirc around 0.171), ppl flocked to RA like a starved mob.
NOTE: To correct a common misunderstanding about one of the main reasons the bulk of the user base started looking away from mainline MAME; it wasn't because of the merge, but more about the changes after and how they imposed the merge in an irritating way.

But since RA's made by ppl who have not a care in the world for respecting accuracy and people's work, they did what they did in the worst fashion and that's had the consequences we know today.
I've always said that RA is the monstrous child of a prejudiced emu scene on its ivory tower looking down on the actual video games culture and the people that lived it, denying they're what the emulators user base is made of and that their opinions and expectation are often just as valuable and pertinent as the developer's.
(or at least USED TO be, since I've witnessed these past years lots of old timers who lived through the history of video games have now kinda quit being interested in emulators and old games as a whole, so a good portion of the curent user base is younger and either don't care as much about the details or is more anal than anyone ever and insufferable. Anyway, they don't even look in the direction of MAME or Groovy at all)

Basically your assumptions regarding me, what I do, think and where I come from, regarding this hobby, how I see the devs work, and the reasons/importance/purpose of the flat panels and useability side of the Groovy development, are all wrong.
As per usual with ppl in this community, you absolutely don't read or misread me, so I repeat, the shields you raise and the hostility, the repetitive schooling like I'm some kind of complaining noob stranger, are useless, and laughable (not in a funny way since they always offended me off like when ppl act racist against you), you just don't get it and act snarky because that makes you feel good like you're kicking an unwanted intruder's ass around.

I come to celebrate, and I get that kind of treatment. Every f* time, and ppl here don't want me to say nerds have crappy toxic mentalities.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 01:35:27 pm by schmerzkaufen »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #1201 on: January 17, 2021, 01:52:32 pm »
I come to celebrate, and I get that kind of treatment. Every f* time, and ppl here don't want me to say nerds have crappy toxic mentalities.

I didn't see any sarcasm against you this time, frankly. Quite the contrary, I'm happy that you liked the last release.

Hopefully I have some time these coming days to open the thread I promised and talk about GM/SR 2.0.

With regards to RA success, I think you're missing an important point and it's that what people really like about it is that it runs on the most crappy and inappropriate hardware available. I mean crap like Android TV boxes. People don't want to emulate on PCs, period. There's nothing we can do to fight that, it's not our war. It's the market, the democracy  ;)
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
« Reply #1202 on: January 17, 2021, 02:57:05 pm »
I didn't see any sarcasm against you this time, frankly.
It's not sarcasm. He just situated me where I'm not, with people who don't get the CRT thing or who don't understand devs do what they can with time, like I'm one of those typical still relatively noobies who just arrived discovering realities.
Bloody hell, I'm sure at times I'm older than some who think they can school me on this stuff.
That happens all the time here just because on this forum I'm the only non-nerd regular visitor with a focus on something different (flat panels etc, excuse me for having seen enough CRTs since the early 80's and having an interest in different display techs of the present as an extra hobby), and it's irritating me, extemely. Who likes being misread and misjudged over and over? of all people you did that to me too before, and that still hurts.
Prejudice, prejudice and more prejudice, this community is painful but I'm staying for Groovy, for your work because it's worth even enduring all the cringy stuff.

Anyway. Enough about me.
I'm happy that you liked the last release.
Seriously. This is what i've always been waiting for. Thank you again sincerely.
Sure there's always room for improvement in MAME but mainly in areas that aren't Groovy's business (well, the OC thing was gray area, thanks for the extra work there too)

I have a - procrastinated because too busy at the moment - new PC build coming, with a beefy i7 and probably keeping that Vega 56.
Found a Portta transcoder as well. Still need a new QHD or 4k LCD monitor.
This is the perfect year for the full course hybrid setup (lcd + crt) and that blog I've been preparing.

(and here I am almost wishing for a new hardcore confinement so I can maybe stop working and do all that  :P)

Hopefully I have some time these coming days to open the thread I promised and talk about GM/SR 2.0.
Take your time.

With regards to RA success, I think you're missing an important point and it's that what people really like about it is that it runs on the most crappy and inappropriate hardware available. I mean crap like Android TV boxes. People don't want to emulate on PCs, period. There's nothing we can do to fight that, it's not our war. It's the market, the democracy  ;)
Well that is when they play only older and light systems, using cores of old versions too.
The bunch who wants just that indeed took a lot of room within the emu users demographics, that's sad, originally within the RA crowd it was still mostly PC users and they'd want to play the latest drivers like cv1k with Royale on top, not just drop Mario Kart and SF2 in a Pi with basic processing to show off to their pals around a beer.
The latter are the younger I was talking about, it's the older dudes who wanted to see the best stuff, cared about accuracy etc many who quit in recent years (I've seen that shift happen in more than one community, not just for emulation. in several areas many retrogaming hangouts changed focus and 'values' completely)

Anyway, there was a time where things needed to click with people, and I'm dead convinced since that MAME decided on changes the wrong way at the wrong time, surely thinking they were doing the right thing from a dev perspective, but completely missing that they were ignoring the user base's worries, which they should have been taking much MUCH more seriously instead of brushing it off like a bunch of annoying flies. That's tragic, and that's what happened, I remember that time and its 'exodus' consequence vividly.
Nope, no matter how you try you won't make me change my mind; I've heard all the narratives attempting at dodging the bullet, no way Jose; a large portion of the responsibility lays heavy on mamedev's shoulders, and anyways I said recently that I'm cooking an article on the topic so no need to expand more here.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 03:07:57 pm by schmerzkaufen »

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2024, 06:37:57 am
  • Forking GroovyArcade
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160023.0.html
    • GroovyArcade active fork
« Reply #1203 on: January 18, 2021, 04:37:22 am »
It's not sarcasm. He just situated me where I'm not, with people who don't get the CRT thing or who don't understand devs do what they can with time, like I'm one of those typical still relatively noobies who just arrived discovering realities.

Keep calm, and play GroovyMAME, dude  :cheers:

You're the only one seeing any sarcasm in my answer, I really had no intention of doing so, really. I even totally forgot you're playing on LCD, so why would I be mean ? Come on pal, just chill.

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 04:41:43 am
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #1204 on: January 18, 2021, 10:06:48 pm »
Hopefully I have some time these coming days to open the thread I promised and talk about GM/SR 2.0

Hopefully!!! ;D
My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter