Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: First Project - Tekken Cab To MAME...  (Read 8774 times)

shan1784

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 11, 2014, 01:59:13 pm
First Project - Tekken Cab To MAME...
« on: August 03, 2010, 11:29:11 pm »
Hey everyone.. First post here...

Well like the subject line says, I just got into the whole MAME world a couple of weeks ago and just picked up a Namco Tekken Cabinet for $230 off a local online auction tonight... I'll be picking it up this weekend...

Here are some pics of what I won... (Looking for opinions on if it's worth $230 or not... Did I do good???)

So my plans are to add 4 more buttons (2 for each player), get a j-pac and an arcade vga card for the computer I'm going to put in it.. Also plan on adding some graphics to the control board as well.. Probably won't customize the cab other then this... It looks in good condition and don't really want to modify the stock look... Won't really know until I see it in person... That will be back burner stuff for now, just want to get it up and running...

The PC is a P4 2.8 Ghz with 1 Gig of RAM, 40 Gig HD, and WinXP SP3. I'm going to run Maximus Arcade which will emulate MAME, SNES, N64, and Sega Genesis. I might add more but just wanted to get a good base started.. I've already got about 10 - 15 roms per emulator in MA to start and will obviously add more in the future...

I just wanted to run this past the experts here to see if there is anything I'm missing or haven't thought of... I don't have any info on the cab I bought other than it's confirmed to be working.

Does anyone have any info on this cabinet? Like the monitor size, what resolutions I can run at (will I need the arcade vga card?)???

I'm assuming it's a JAMMA setup, would that be correct?

Well I would appreciate any feedback or possible answers to my questions... Thanks in advance...

Really excited right now...

« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 03:10:37 pm by shan1784 »
Thanks,
Mike
--------------------------------------

tykenfitz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 16, 2020, 02:52:53 pm
Re: New to MAME, just got my cab to start out... Take a look...
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 12:02:55 am »
I honestly wouldn't MAME a cab in that nice of condition but, to each his own.
Die Hard Arcade conversion to RetroPie

shan1784

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 12:05:34 am »
Well my goal is to keep as close to stock as possible... I don't plan on ripping anything apart...
Thanks,
Mike

Smeghead

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2015, 11:41:08 pm
  • Better Smeg than dead
    • MY MAME BUILDS
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 11:07:25 am »
Cool! mines a Tekken3 cab, bonus = 8 way joysticks   :applaud:
My MAME Build:

shan1784

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 06:01:06 pm »
Cool! mines a Tekken3 cab, bonus = 8 way joysticks   :applaud:

Is mine an 8 way stick as well?
Thanks,
Mike

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 06:34:15 pm »
Thats a nice cab. pretty much any fighter cab will have 8-ways. That cab will really do well for mame.
goodluck with your new project. it definately is exciting isnt it.
I think the price you paid is not bad. does it currently work?

shan1784

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 07:21:32 pm »
I haven't actually seen it in person yet.. I'm picking it up on Saturday... I did ask this during the auction and was told that it powered up and played so I took that as it was operational...
Thanks,
Mike

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 11:17:30 pm »
Well its a nice looking cab and they say it works.
should be good then.
by the way, Tekken is a jamma game

shan1784

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 08:55:10 am »
Well its a nice looking cab and they say it works.
should be good then.
by the way, Tekken is a jamma game

Good deal thanks for the info...

So does my plan sound like it will work ok?
Thanks,
Mike

mwong168

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2019, 11:38:54 am
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 12:48:09 pm »

I don't see why not because with a JPAC, IPAC and ArcadeVGA you can easily revert the machine back to stock in a few minutes.  Now drilling holes for extra buttons is another story but not much you can do if you want to be able to play other fighters like Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat series.

To the OP, you might want to add an IPAC cause I don't think the JPAC has enough inputs.
Showcase Project [Work in Progress]
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=93701.0
Bartop Project [100% Complete]
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=98410.0
Custom Wireless 360/PC HAPP Fight Sticks [100% Complete]
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=100809.0
Visual Pinball Cabinet [Work in Progress]
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=102628.0

shan1784

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 01:33:05 pm »

I don't see why not because with a JPAC, IPAC and ArcadeVGA you can easily revert the machine back to stock in a few minutes.  Now drilling holes for extra buttons is another story but not much you can do if you want to be able to play other fighters like Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat series.

To the OP, you might want to add an IPAC cause I don't think the JPAC has enough inputs.

I was concerned about that as well... I'm going to dig into this quite abit more before I order one but on the ultimarc site it said it could do it... I like the JPAC because everything stays stock. I think with the Ipac I would have to start cutting wires for the buttons as well as for the monitor wouldn't I?
Thanks,
Mike

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 01:10:46 am »
I think this cabinet would really take well as a mame cabinet.
The JPAC should work well because its my understanding that you can use 8 buttons per player (3 that would normaly be wired to the jamma board and then 5 to the jpac).
I've never used a jpac so I'm not sure.

Kokapetl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2020, 12:59:49 am
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 11:53:36 am »
if your cabinet is working you might want to make it dual JAMMA / PC, so you just switch between them.
that's the path i'm taking with my arcade that i picked up and just started working on.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=104703.0

shan1784

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 02:05:24 pm »
Well I got the cab over the weekend and it wasn't what it seemed in the auction pics. It works, works great in fact... Had one bad switch but got that working so no biggie there. The monitor is a 25" Makvision 2425. It's beautiful, bright, and no burn-in... It's not the original monitor that came with it as the original was a 28" from what the manual says...

The problem is it looks like someone else got to it because the control box was rebuilt and was in rough shape. The cabinet itself wasn't to bad but I will have to replace at least one panel that sits below the monitor. It's got a corner completely missing and it looks odd with the t-molding wrapping around air, lol... The monitor bezel fits nice to the monitor on the top but the bottom could use some tweaking...

I'm going to rebuild the control box and panel, and add a graphic overlay for the CP as well. I have to take the whole monitor section off just to be able to get it into my office (right now it's in the garage). So when I have that off I'm going to replace that bad panel and adjust the monitor shelf for a better fit to the bezel as well as add a custom marquee and speakers.

So I'll have it in three pieces, the monitor section, the main cabinet, and the control box / panel. I'll then replace the t-molding and apply fresh coat of paint as well and add some casters to the bottom of the cab (the little metal feet are all bent up and it will kill my floor). Once that's done I'll move it into my office and reassemble.

From that point I'll add in the J-Pac (from what I've seen it does support everything I'm adding as far as extra buttons) and throw in the PC...

Hopefully this doesn't go against what MAME stands for as the cab has already been modified previous to me getting my hands on it.

What do you guys think, Opinions???

Thanks,
Mike

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 08:33:21 pm »
I say go for it dude,
By "not going against what mame stands for" I assume you are talking about how guys will give you a hard time about mameing a classic cabinet.
I believe that typically applies more to older machines such as the early eighties classics. And what you are planning with this machine is good and modest.
I think this machine will make a really good Jamma/Mame machine.
You've got a good cabinet with a crisp monitor, those are the bigger ticket items. Broken switches and crappy joysticks are easy to replace as needed and the wood stuff is fixable.

That cab has a nice shelf that holds the control panel box so its cool for removing and repairing or even rebuilding if needed. Can you post pics of the damage

How is the bottom wood of the cabinet, thats a typical place of damage.

Casters will work but remember they will raise the whole cabinet and they will need to be lockable. you would probably want caster that are rated for 150 lbs each
You can also replace the damaged leg levelers and you can even get those with plastic feet instead of metal.
If you replace the leg levelers, make sure of the thread size so that you get the same ones.

With the wood repair, don't forget that you can post pics up here for advice from everyone.
Goodluck

shan1784

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 11:20:12 pm »
Thanks for the comments and advice... I like the idea of just replacing the leg levelers.. Probably would be much cheaper as well.. I'll post some pics of the damage soon...

The wood on the bottom isn't to bad.. Just scratches but nothing terrible...

Tonight was a long night... Started working at 6:00 and just finished up... About 5 hours of wood working.. I went ahead and built a new box and cut out a new control panel... A Bob Villia I am not that is for sure... I haven't touched any wood working tools since basic woodshop in highschool (15 years ago)... Things didn't come together exactly like I hoped but I plan to get cozy with a jar of wood putty and sandpaper in the next couple of nights... Along with some primer and paint I think it's gonna turn out ok... I will definately post some before and after pics with the old / new box and control panel... No laughing though...

I've been trolling around the forums here and getting some ideas on how to go about fixing it and rebuilding the box plus my brother in law is very handy ... Pretty pumped but also very tired..

One question I have, before I get to deep into the control panel build... I plan to use 3/4" MDF and then put some plexi on top of that... How is that going to work with the t-molding? Is it typical that the edge of the plexi isn't covered.. To me that wouldn't seem to have a finished look... I'm thinking of getting a 5/8" sheet so the molding will cover up the plexi as well... Just curious how others go about this... I'm sure there is a much more common way that I'm not thinking of...

Anyway I feel better about doing this now. I just didn't want to offend anyone...

Thanks all...
Thanks,
Mike

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 08:07:52 am »
I've never used plexi on a control panel but I suppose for that one piece of t molding, you can use a thicker width. T-molding doesn't just come in 3/4". You will need to be careful on the slot so that the t-molding is centered right to cover the wood and plexi.
I'm sure there are other ways but looking around these forums will get you the answer.

As far as wood filling goes, be careful with wood putty like whats used for filling nail holes. Use Bondo. I also like Minwax 2 part wood filler but I'm starting to think its just bondo anyway but bondo is cheaper.

I wouldn't worry about offending anyone, it's your cabinet, you bought it, you've gotta look at it.

Good luck

shan1784

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 01:40:09 am »
Well the past few days has been good and bad..

Good news is I just finished up my control panel box. I put two coats of primer and semi gloss black (sanded between each coat) and it's looking good..

Bad news is my control panel is lagging behind... I got my t-molding and slot cutting router bit from GroovyGameGear and attempted to cut the slot around my control panel... Being a novice with the router I didn't have the router setup correctly and ended up taking a chunck out my control panel and plexi (don't ask, I can't explain it... It's called trying to rush...)... So today was spent repairing the control panel (I used wood glue and saw dust to fill the missing chunk) and cutting new plexi and holes in the plexi... So now I've got one coat of primer on the cp and should be able to finish it up tomorrow..

Also today I pulled the metal hardware (speaker grills, screws, and frame for the monitor window and marquee) from the cab and got those painted...

So far one concern I have is with the the t-molding color I picked.. I was trying to match the grafix I got from GameGrafix and it matches the marquee perfectly but the cp vinly is not what I expected... I bought the cp vinly from the bargin bin... It was almost a perfect fit for my control panel so I thought I'd save some money this way but the colors are way different (can't really tell by the pic below but the cp vinly has more purple in it).. It didn't look this way on the website... Oh well, I don't think it's worth buying a new one.. I can live with it, for now...

Below are some pics of my progress so far...

Thanks,
Mike

shan1784

• Offline Offline
Re: First Project - Tekken Cab To MAME... Updated Pics 8/21/10
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 11:40:17 pm »
So today I was able to finish up my control panel (not completely, still need to lock down all the buttons, joysticks, and cut down the vinyl a little more...)... I also was able to pull out the coin doors and get those painted as well... Here are the pics from today...

Any comments are welcome...

Thanks,
Mike

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
Re: First Project - Tekken Cab To MAME... CP Done, Updated Pics 8/22/10
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 08:52:47 am »
It's looking real good.
How's the fit on the cabinet?

shan1784

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2010, 09:04:01 am »
It's pretty snug... I had it mounted before the painting was done.. My plan tonight is to mount it on the cab and then get the hinges on the box and panel.. I'll take some pics of that tonight as well...
Thanks,
Mike

shan1784

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 12:14:33 am »
Here's the cab with the new control panel mounted... It's coming along, slow but sure... It's functional and is working... Just used the wiring harness from the old control panel, hooked up the joysticks, player 1 and 2 start, and the 4 buttons from each player.. Tested it out by getting my butt whooped in a couple games of Tekken by my 10 year old son...

Thanks,
Mike

shan1784

• Offline Offline
Re: First Project - Tekken Cab To MAME... Done!!!! Updated Pics 8/26/2010
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2010, 09:17:28 pm »
Well, almost done.. Last night was an all nighter.... Finally went to bed around 4:00 AM... After taking measurments I realized no matter how much I twisted and turned it I was never going to get it through my office door...

I ended up cutting off the sides that stick out from each side of the monitor. Then built some brackets to mount them back on once I got it in my office... Then I had to repair the damaged corners by cutting them out with the router and cutting some new corner pieces, glued and screwed them in place, applied some wood filler and sanded them down...
Then I took off the decals, used some goo gone to get rid of the stickey gunk, sanded the entire thing with 220 grit and then painted... I waited an hour or so then started putting on the t-molding...

I got up at 8:00 am this morning and reassembled and installed the coin door, put in the marquee light and speakers... We just got it carried up the stairs and rolled into the office. Put the sides on and speaker grills, installed the monitor, bezel, and marquee... Rolled it into the corner and am now done...

I just have to get the Jpac, and arcade vga card and the computer put in and that will be it... The hard stuff is all done...

Here is some pics.. Let me now what you all think...

Before....

After...

« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 09:22:26 pm by shan1784 »
Thanks,
Mike

Jefferson

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 14, 2024, 08:50:59 pm
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 10:05:19 pm »
wowwww, unique design, professionally tweaked. She's a beaut, man.

great job. how much was it?

Def worth 230! I (begrudgingly) paid 420 for my turtles/simpsons. The important things are the monitor and healthy wood. I just added a PC and new control panel like you did (project thread in sig)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 10:07:18 pm by Jefferson »

push2reject

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2014, 06:55:40 pm
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2010, 11:21:30 pm »
I'm normally not a fan of the lighting motif.  This is really tasteful.  Well done.  Classic case of "less is more" and it really works.
On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy.  -Kevin Flynn

shan1784

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2010, 11:30:52 pm »
I think thats why I wanted this cab so bad because it is different than the other cabs.. The auction where I picked it up there were 75 different cabs up for auction... I was focused on this one due to it's unique look.. I'm just glad it turned out the way I imagined it...

Thanks guys.. I appreciate the comments...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 11:54:36 pm by shan1784 »
Thanks,
Mike

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2010, 09:47:27 pm »
The cabinets looking great. It really turned out nice. Yeah that cabinet has a nice unique style to it.
Man I have to get my cabinet done.

releasedtruth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2018, 12:06:49 am
  • Projected Nexus
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2010, 12:04:42 am »
Definitely a cool shape, borderline modern. I like it and it's not too busy, which I think kills a cab. Nice work

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2010, 11:13:47 am »
I'm normally not a fan of the lighting motif. 

totally agree, but its not your fault lightning has been done to death.  besides thats easily changed. The most important part is to enjoy the thing
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

shan1784

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2010, 06:02:43 pm »
Yeah, knowing what I know now I probably would do a different theme.. I think you can identify the newbies by the lightning theme Lol.... My kids helped my pick it out and they are really liking it so that's all that matters to me...
Thanks,
Mike

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2010, 06:57:30 pm »
My kids helped my pick it out and they are really liking it so that's all that matters to me...

That's the only thing that matters, and dont let anyone tell you any different. Besides, thats one of the easiest things to change if you ever decide to.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

shan1784

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2010, 10:51:21 pm »
Ok, I'm completely done... Some minor tweaks here and there but don't think they will happen anytime soon since my 5 year old has taken ownership of it now... Lol...

Here is a vid I put together of the build and the final result... Be kind, this is my first one and I know there are things I could have done different... All the details about parts and construction are in the description of the youtube video...

Would love to hear any feedback...

Thanks for all of your help...

Thanks,
Mike

shan1784

• Offline Offline
Just an update on my cab, I decided to add a light gun, one to start... My son and I played some rail shooters at a local arcade a few weeks ago and now I've got the bug to add it to my cab...

I've ordered and recieved the aimtrak kit unfortunately the gun sensor was defective so Andy from Ultimarc is sending a new one...

I've already loaded some shooters on the cab like Area 51, Carnevil, etc... They all run beautifully...

I'll post a video once it's all done...
Thanks,
Mike

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
Re: First Project - Tekken Cab To MAME... Adding Aimtrak Lightgun...
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2011, 06:12:16 pm »
Somehow I missed the posts when you finished this project looks great.
Very nice wrok.

I see alot of Dropkick Murphys on there. You should check out some Flatfoot 56 also.

DirtyDachshunds

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2014, 01:14:25 pm
    • First Project: MillerCade
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2011, 12:12:13 pm »
Great job.  I love the booting fight animations.

shan1784

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2011, 08:44:51 pm »
Thanks guys... I actually today just took off the jukebox since I never used it... But in it's place I was able to get Daphne up and running with Dragon's Lair... Really pumped about that one...
Thanks,
Mike