Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: PhotoSkin - yet again (this time standard aspect ratio 4:3)  (Read 12858 times)

Dermbrian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2024, 05:05:16 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
PhotoSkin - yet again (this time standard aspect ratio 4:3)
« on: September 30, 2010, 12:32:26 pm »
I've been reworking my skin and *think* I have made a version now where it will work on standard CRT monitors.  Anyone want a copy to try?  I'd apprediate any feedback as to whether it works without tweaking things after unzipping, as long as the aspect ratio is 4:3 in the jukebox.ini file (which is the default).

I've also been playing around with the timers and added a "Select Song Now" that shows up and blinks as long as there are credits remaining.  Pressing the screen capture hot key doesn't capture that, though.  At the same time, the Insert Coin light goes out...since there are credits existing.

Send me a message if you're interested in using this for a bit or willing to give this a quick test on your system.  Remember, you can substitute your own pictures for the image in the center, and customize the 'sign' at the top.  Regarding the pictures, two .jpgs alternate at a time set in the skin file.  Standard is the one shown along with one of a dozen or so 45 rpm records.

BTW, I also finally made my own title strip image instead of 'borrowing' one.

Brian

Dermbrian

• Offline Offline
Re: PhotoSkin - yet again (this time standard aspect ratio 4:3)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 11:46:14 am »
I've made some changes and the final result has some more features than the image at the start of this message.  Here's a video that shows the skin in action.  Notice the album cover art now displays, as well as an 'advertisement' that the user can customize with any 100 x 100 graphic image.  The default 'ad' is just the word dwjukebox in a black 100 x 100 graphic.

Note the "Insert A Coin" and "Select A Song" messages and how they relate to whether credits exist or not.

I'd be happy to send a zipped copy of the skin upon request.  It should also eventually be posted to the dwjukebox websites skins area, now that I'm done tweaking the concept and have made this final version.

Brian

Dermbrian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 03:43:43 pm »
Chris has added this skin to the Skins Gallery.  Like Steve Martin said in "The Jerk" when he saw his name in the phonebook....."I'm Somebody!!"

http://dwjukebox.com/category/skins/singles/

Brian

Dermbrian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 06:55:26 pm »
I've been playing around with ways to have an unlimited number of images cycle through on my jukebox skin.  It involves modifying the related .ini file to show an image, set a timer, show the next image on expiration and set another timer, show the next image on expiration, set another timer.....and then cycling back to the start after all desired images have shown so that they repeat.  It's kind of like driving a thumbtack with a sledgehammer, but it works.  Here's a video of 6 images to see if it might be worth the effort to taker six pictures of a turntable with the record 'spinning'.  Maybe, maybe not.  When used to display images for 30 seconds at a time or such and not for crude animation, the performance is acceptable.

Anyway, it was a nice way to spend a day off.  I'm not so sure my wife is going to agree when she gets home from her 12 hour shift, though. :badmood:

Brian

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 02:27:11 pm »
Impressive that you managed to get the timer system to pull that off!  Obviously I need to put a "real" way of doing animation in soon... :)

--Chris
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

Dermbrian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 11:09:10 pm »

Finished and 'as good as it gets', after animating an overhead shot of my vintage Pioneer turntable with a custom 45 rpm label (CHOSEN SONG by D.W. Jukebox....).

If anyone wants a copy of the complete new skin that looks so much like the existing PhotoSkin but has an animated turntable, PM me with your real e-mail address and I'll send it to you.  I named this new skin 'PSanima' for 'PhotoSkin Animated'.  This version only allows a single user-added image that shows up when a song is not playing, but I think the tradeoff was worth it.  Plus, I've learned now how to make a skin that cycles through as many pictures as a user wants, just by adding a timer and icon for each picture rather than just flipping between two. 

Also, anyone is most welcome to try to correct the few image 'glitches' that occur, mainly at the start of the song playing.  I documented the timers and icons to the best of my ability in the PSanima.skn file.  pic1.jpg bleeds through in spots at the start of every needle drop at the start of the song.  There has to be a way to minimize that even further or eliminate it entirely.  One way is to make pic1.jpg one of the turntable images, but then you lose the customization that I think is unique....easy addition of a user image as pic1.jpg to the directory.

Brian