Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Custom Control Panel Blocking Background Image  (Read 12325 times)

lrdicon2000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2010, 07:36:04 pm
Custom Control Panel Blocking Background Image
« on: September 29, 2010, 02:17:57 pm »
Hello all,
This is my first post on this site, so I'm Super excited! I would like to also say that I am extraordinarily impressed with some of the cabinets that other members have built; which led me to build my own. At first all I did was make a control panel which I could hook up to the computer and once all of the minor bugs were figured out I would be able to slap everything into a cabinet and call it a day.
Well, the first part went well and I was able to make a decent control panel which hooks up beautifully to mame and Maximus Arcade. I then started the long process of setting up Maximus Arcade with a custom background and images which would better match my control panel. There is one hiccup however...
You see, I was foolish and had a dream of replacing the stock CGI arcade control panel for the menu choices with a picture of my own control panel. Well, all work alright, but now there is a block of white on the right side of the cabinet that prevents you from seeing the background image.  :cry: (and looks rather unclean) Is there a way that I can turn this block of white transparent so that I can see my custom background? Thanks for anybody that has any suggestions!!

EDIT:
Okay, I just got back from work and was able to take a few screenshots. Here are some images of what I am working with and what exactly the problem is.
http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/l589/lrdicon2000/Maximus%20Arcade%20Custom%20Theme%20Problem/?action=view&current=FullBackground.jpg
In this shot you can see the background as it naturally is between shifting through the emulators.
http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/l589/lrdicon2000/Maximus%20Arcade%20Custom%20Theme%20Problem/?action=view&current=FullBackground.jpg#!oZZ1QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs1125.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fl589%2Flrdicon2000%2FMaximus%2520Arcade%2520Custom%2520Theme%2520Problem%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DEmulatorSelection.jpg%26
This next shot is of the emulator selections.
http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/l589/lrdicon2000/Maximus%20Arcade%20Custom%20Theme%20Problem/?action=view&current=FullBackground.jpg#!oZZ3QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs1125.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fl589%2Flrdicon2000%2FMaximus%2520Arcade%2520Custom%2520Theme%2520Problem%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DGameSelection.jpg%26
Now, up until this point everything goes well, until I get to game selections on this last shot. I inserted a picture of my own controls and it seems to be blocking a good quarter of my image. If there is anybody out there who can help me solve this issue and turn that white block transparent, I would be very grateful!!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 01:00:44 am by lrdicon2000 »

metallimaniac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2012, 05:11:08 pm
    • DebugStation
Re: Custom Control Panel Blocking Background Image
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 08:26:26 am »
If you use photoshop, you can copy your image of the cabinet and start a new file. The canvas size will change to whatever's on your clipboard so no need to worry there. Just make sure that the background is set to transparent and click ok. Paste your image, select the white area with the magic wand and hit delete.

Then just save the image as a .png and reimport it into your theme. Everything should be fine now. This goes the same for any image you wish to change on your theme. Just make sure the background is transparent and save as a .png.

Ortizimo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:23:10 pm
  • USAF Retired Veteran (1995-2015)
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 10:33:43 pm »
I'll help you but Ill need the file. Can you save it and upload it somewhere as .psd?
Sometimes, when it's quiet, I can still hear the monkeys." - Guybrush Threepwood, Mighty Pirate.

lrdicon2000

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 11:28:14 am »
I'll help you but Ill need the file. Can you save it and upload it somewhere as .psd?

This would really mean a lot to me. I went to go and try to make the changes in photoshop on Saturday. Pushed the button on my pro tower and nothing. Hours of troubleshooting later I narrowed it down to a dead PSU. :banghead: :angry: So I spent the rest of the weekend trying to find a new PSU (ended up eith a new Corsair from Newegg) But still, that's going to take a couple of days for delivery, plus I probably won't have enough time after work this week and it is going to be pushed back to the weekend. So again, any help on this would be heaven.

I am at work right now, but when I get home I will find a free file hosting site and upload the .psd on there.
Are there any specific files you need? General cabinet files? vertical Bezel? horizontal bezel?

Ortizimo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 01:39:03 pm »
just post the .psd file and tell me what the general idea of this is and for what (loading, game selection, etc). I know PS but i do not know the theme editor in MA. THat i'm learning right now.
Sometimes, when it's quiet, I can still hear the monkeys." - Guybrush Threepwood, Mighty Pirate.

lrdicon2000

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 08:33:47 pm »
just post the .psd file and tell me what the general idea of this is and for what (loading, game selection, etc). I know PS but i do not know the theme editor in MA. THat i'm learning right now.

Okay, so I included an image of the cabinet unit that is used in Maximus Arcade. It shows up in the main image but is blocking out a portion of the background when I go to Game Selection. I also just noticed that the P2 joystick is in the main image but the top of it is cut off when in the Game Selection Menu. Should I add a joystick top to the bottom of the Vertical and Horizontal Bezels that Maximus Arcade uses in it's images files?

Ortizimo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 09:18:03 pm »
okay, like I said, I am NOT well educated in the theme editor. I can help you on Photoshop though. I'm learning how the theme editor works at this time.Have you opened an already made theme file? That's what i'm doing so I can learn how it works and apply it to mine. Please post the .psd so I can download it if this is what you need done. Thnx!

Check this link out...doesnt have audio but it shows you how to do the theme editor in MA.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 10:09:16 pm by Ortizimo »

lrdicon2000

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 04:12:54 pm »
Okay, so I got my PSU this past week and finally had some free time to install it this past weekend. I was happy to finally get the computer up and running and get the background image that I needed to mess around in the Maximus Arcade Theme Editor.

BTW: HUGE Thank you to Ortizimo for uploading the video of what kind of options to play around with in the Theme Editor!! I was able to play around with it for a few hours and I was fairly confident that I had come up with a nice clean Theme that matched my Control Panel Overlay. I thought that I was finally done, so I started browsing through MA to see how it looked and I came up with a bug that is A) really annoying and B) has me completely stumped. Let me explain...

Okay, I start up MA and all loads well. I will then select an emulator form the emulator menu and be transferred to the game selection menu. Once in the Game Selection Menu I have it set up so that the Game description matches a snap for the game that is being highlighted.
Game #1 title is highlighted and matches Game #1 Image   =>(click down once)
Game #2 title is highlighted and matches Game #2 Image   =>(click down once)
Game #3 title is highlighted and matches Game #3 Image   =>(click down once)
Game #4 title is highlighted and matches Game #4 Image   =>(click down once) NOW HERE'S THE WEIRD PART...
Game #4 title REMAINS highlighted and Game #5 Image appears   => (click down once)
Game #5 title is highlighted and Game #6 Image appears   =>(click down once)
Game #6 title is highlighted and Game #7 Image appears   =>(click down once) etc. etc. etc...This goes on for the entire game list.

Not only is this happening in MAME, but it is happening with all of the game lists for every single emulator! If anybody has a solution for this problem I would be VERY grateful. (It's frustrating because I was sooo close to being done. oh well.) Oh, and if anybody wants me to take some screenshots of this bug, I would be more than happy to provide them (though it will probably have to wait until I get home because photobucket isn't letting me upload my images right now.) So yes, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

metallimaniac

• Offline Offline
    • DebugStation
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 07:25:35 pm »
Did, by any chance, you change the formatting of the rom list in your theme? I.E. Change the number of visible lines, font size or line spacing?

I messed about with these in my theme and got the exact same problem. I changed it back (I think it's the line spacing that does it) and it works properly again now.

The theme editor can be a little tricky to use at first, but doesn't take too long to get the hang of. Good luck with your theme

Ortizimo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 10:34:23 pm »
i for one hate the theme editor. I wonder when MA will get an update specially on the theme editor side. I dont like it when you place an image but cant delete it even from the FIND option box.

metallimaniac

• Offline Offline
    • DebugStation
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 03:00:19 pm »
I don't think MA will be getting updated anytime soon since the creator has more or less disappeared.

You do get used to the theme creator after a while. You can't delete images, but you can make them transparent so that you can't see them. Same thing to me. All the different parts of the theme (marquee, borders, cabinet, background, rom list etc) need to be there, in a sense, for the theme to function properly so I can see why you can't 'delete' those images from the theme. As I say though, you can make them transparent, so it's more or less like deleting the images.

Ortizimo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 12:39:30 pm »
hope he didn't die on us. Has anyone try to contact him? Is anyone else taking over MA?

lrdicon2000

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 08:28:30 pm »
Hi all! Thanks metallimaniac for your suggestion of the line spacing! Restored it back to the default and started working my way downward to the least amount of lines while still have the images match up. It works across the board and I couldn't be happier.  Thank you all so much for helping me!

As for the MA project, I don't believe that he's dead. I think the boards may be up again (but I haven't gone and checked), and I know for a few months delusional couldn't get a hold of him.