Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: play driving games with turbo twist 2 wheel ?  (Read 6108 times)

ntk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2011, 12:09:59 pm
play driving games with turbo twist 2 wheel ?
« on: September 21, 2010, 04:52:06 am »
hello

i have the turbo twist 2 and i wanted to know if i can convert the mouse movment to key press or config the spinner so i can play games like dirt and nfs and not just the arcade driving games with the spinner wheel

thanks

bkenobi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2021, 10:41:52 pm
Re: play driving games with turbo twist 2 wheel ?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 08:57:40 am »
I put together a script to make this possible.  It will take mouse inputs and make them appear to be a 270° steering wheel.  At that point, you can configure your software to use the steering wheel (assuming the application can use a steering wheel).

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=92363.0

BadMouth put together a nice page about steering wheels that might be nice to read as well.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=105961.0

BTW, yes, I know you have a spinner, but realize that a spinner is the same as a 360° steering wheel in the computer.  The both work as a single mouse axis.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 09:00:05 am by bkenobi »

ntk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 11:30:00 am »
Thanks but it does not work, I opened the glovepie with the script, I installed the ppjoy and set the virtual joystick to axis 1 - wheel - analog 0 ( when i press the scan button and move the spinner it does not detect anything )

I removed from the script the lines of the pedals but when I'm running "split second" and chooses the joystick It does not respond in the game

bkenobi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 11:42:46 am »
Does it work outside of MAME?  If you open up the game controller viewer in the control panel, does it show movement with GlovePIE running?

ntk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 12:04:54 pm »
Have not tried it with mame i tried it with the games split second and dirt, I opened the game controller viewer now and it does not respond, the only thing that happens is that the mouse cursor move right and left (but it's always like that, even without the script)

ntk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 01:37:22 pm »
I found a solution, you just need ppjoy, open in the ppjoy menu the "mouse joystick" and it works! no script needed

releasedtruth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2018, 12:06:49 am
  • Projected Nexus
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 01:59:10 pm »
ntk, I just got a wheel for my TT2 as well. Do you have a pedal attached? If so, what model? I haven't quite figured out the best method for that yet.

ntk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 02:12:48 pm »
I'm still building my cabinet, currently just testing the spinner so I do not know about the pedal
you tryed to use the spinner with games like split second ?

releasedtruth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2018, 12:06:49 am
  • Projected Nexus
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 06:07:39 pm »
No, only used the spinner on MAME games so far and no custom settings yet

bkenobi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 06:12:57 pm »
The primary goal of the script is to keep the wheel/spinner from losing it's center position when you go past the software end of travel.  If you do so in MAME, the center gets moved to a new point based on how far past center you moved.  As a result, if you then move back to the original center position in game, the computer thinks you have now turned the other direction.  This is VERY frustrating if you have an actual steering wheel.  I imagine it would be pretty frustrating with a spinner as well, but perhaps less so.  Some games have a steering wheel on the display to show where you are turned.  If you are ok with using that as a reference to where you are turning, you do not need a script.