Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Crosshairs in Digital Leisure Games & HOTD III PC  (Read 12092 times)

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2024, 09:47:02 pm
Crosshairs in Digital Leisure Games & HOTD III PC
« on: September 18, 2010, 04:51:52 pm »
Is there a way to turn the crosshairs off in the Digital Leisure games or House of the Dead III.

I'm playing them with an Act Labs gun and find them distracting since they just stay in the last place I shot.

releasedtruth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2018, 12:06:49 am
  • Projected Nexus
Re: Crosshairs in Digital Leisure Games & HOTD III PC
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 10:33:44 pm »
Interesting, I have those and I've never seen the crosshairs. I had the LCD Topguns, though. No settings in the game or gun software?

GreatLamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2018, 03:15:17 pm
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 02:14:14 am »
In Digital Leisure games, the cursor stored as a bitmap/ico. So, copy the game your hard disk, edit the cursor file after backing up the original. Delete all the pixels with transparency.

I edited the cursor because in CP2 very much screen is almost full white and don't see the crosshair so I made a pretty nice green one :)

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 06:46:19 am »
Interesting, I have those and I've never seen the crosshairs. I had the LCD Topguns, though. No settings in the game or gun software?

Huh, maybe I have different versions.  The HOTD III is a "Sold-Out Software UK" version that I got off fleabay cheap, maybe it's a bit different.
The digital leisure game is The Last Bounty Hunter. 

In Digital Leisure games, the cursor stored as a bitmap/ico. So, copy the game your hard disk, edit the cursor file after backing up the original. Delete all the pixels with transparency.

I should have thought of that.  It was a .cur file and I edited it with a free program called IcoFX.
I have both Mad Dog Mcree 1&2 and Space Pirates on the way.  I was having a bit of buyers remorse because of the crosshairs.
I'm happy again.  :applaud: Thanks!

haplo

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 01:24:09 pm »
On Daphne there is an option that hides the cursor (for ALG games).

isucamper

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2019, 05:13:08 pm
  • I'm a slasher... of prices!!
    • my project arcade blog
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 11:40:49 am »
whoa, whoa, whoa... which ALG shooters does daphne support?
THE SYSTEM          Popeye

isucamper

• Offline Offline
    • my project arcade blog
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 12:14:18 pm »
Holy crap!

http://www.daphne-emu.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2777&sid=9cac52259d869141a9dd014b2bc94c70

aww:

Can I use a Guncon or an Aimtrak?

Yes with some caveats. Guncon (using the WinGun driver) and the Aimtrak do not work with Daphne while in fullscreen. They work fine in windowed mode though.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 09:57:18 pm by isucamper »

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 09:29:41 pm »
Link no workie, however using my Search-Fu:

The ALG  SINGE Collection is a group of programs I wrote that simulates most of the American Laser Games using Daphne's SINGE platform. The games play very similar to the original arcade versions and are cabinet friendly. The following games are simulated:

+ Mad Dog McCree
      + Mad Dog 2: The Lost Gold
      + Last Bounty Hunter
      + Crime Patrol
      + Crime Patrol 2: Drug Wars
      + Space Pirates!
      + Who Shot Johnny Rock?

I'll have to check this out; I have half the PC games already, but the only thing that makes me wonder is "simulates" and "play very similar" - hopefully they'll get around to ripping the ALG discs soon for Mame, as the preliminary drivers are already there...

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 10:01:07 pm »
What is the advantage?  Aside from Mad Dog McCree, you are using the same video from the pc version, so it isn't going to be any better quality.
The PC games were super easy to copy to my hard drive and integrate into my front-end.
Not sure it's worth the hassle just to be able to hit the credit button instead of shooting start.

Havok

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 01:31:37 am »
Yeah, I checked this out and it basically amounts to a wrapper that runs with a batch file for you to execute the original program, allowing for Mame-like controls. I guess for some this makes it a little easier to integrate with a front end, but for me it's not worth it. I'll wait the Mame rips...

isucamper

• Offline Offline
    • my project arcade blog
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 08:35:41 am »
It also supports Time Traveler?

Havok

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 10:12:31 am »
Looks like he did that one separately:

I am happy to announce my simulator for the game Hologram Time Traveler for use Daphne's SINGE platform. The game is fully playable and cabinet friendly. Many thanks to ScottD and MattO for their technical advice. Special thanks to Fith for contributing the Japanase translation.

How to install:

In order to play the game you will need to download the Daphne version with SINGE enabled. Get the latest version here:

http://tinyurl.com/singe-v112

You can download the game here:

http://tinyurl.com/tt-singe

You also need to own a Time Traveler DVD to extract the video and audio from it. Buy it directly from Digital Leisure or find it for cheap on places like Ebay or Amazon.

The package comes now as a Windows setup program. When you run it you select the drive letter for the disc and the path to Daphne on your hard drive then click "Begin". Installation is easy and should take some time, so be sure to leave your computer running.

This is fan made project so it's not officially supported by Daphne. Enjoy the game!

Now this one may be worth it, at least for the time being as Time Traveler supposedly doesn't work on XP...

nickynooch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2020, 02:54:00 am
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 10:39:02 am »
It also supports Time Traveler?

Yes, SINGE does.  I have Time Traveler running through SINGE on my cab, which is running Windows XP.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 10:42:00 am by nickynooch »

nickynooch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 10:39:57 am »
deleted post
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 10:41:46 am by nickynooch »

isucamper

• Offline Offline
    • my project arcade blog
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 11:47:47 am »
By the way, how do the CDROM versions of the ALG shooters look?  Pixelated?

Havok

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 12:00:49 pm »
Mad Dog and Johnny Rock suck, but Space Pirates isn't that bad...

nickynooch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 01:34:52 pm »
By the way, how do the CDROM versions of the ALG shooters look?  Pixelated?

For me they looked good.  I had to get 2 different versions.  I bought some off ebay and none of them worked right.   However, I got another copy of the same game, and it worked great.  It appears they did several versions of the CDROMs.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 02:04:36 pm »
I just got The Last Bounty Hunter, Space Pirates, & Mad Dog II.

Viewing them on a TV over an S-video connection, they look like standard definition broadcast quality.

I received the DOS version of Mad Dog McCree and it is horrible.
The "Remastered" XP version is on the way.  Hopefully it will be the same as the others.

Don't buy any off fleabay unless they have this Windows XP Compatible logo on the front.

The quality of the previews on the Digital Leisure website look the same as the games I have.
http://www.digitalleisure.com/contents/pcCDRom_games.htm
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 02:57:36 pm by BadMouth »

Havok

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 03:12:38 pm »
Hmmm, that could be it - I have the DOS versions of Mad Dog and Johnny Rock. Keep us posted about the XP version of McCree...

rdg2010

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 09:37:17 pm »
Hello. I am the programmer for Daphne's ALG Singe Collection. This thread was brought to my attention and would like to clarify a few things.

The ALG SINGE Collecton is not a group of simple "wrappers". That is incorrect. These are full, stand alone games. Singe is an addon for the Daphne emulator. Some people already use it to play ActionMax on their machines.

The games use the same footage as the Windows CDROMs which is comparable to standard definition (SD) quality. As with other Daphne games you need to own the disc media. The games are cabinet friendly and yes you can disable the cross hairs easily by accessing an in game menu (no hacking necessary). Mouse is the primary input device. Aimtrak and guncon can be used, but not in fullscreen mode.

In terms of accuracy the games stand somewhere between the home versions and the arcade machines. Things that were missing from the CDROMs are now accessible. Unlike the CDROMs the ALG Singe Collection has high score screens, configuration menus, and overall more complete gameplay. Some differences may be immediately apparent, others so technical it would take thorough knowledge of the real arcade to be able to spot them.

Many people put their heads together to make this project a reality. Also in the amateur spirit of this hobby it's available to the community free for personal use. However that also means no technical support. I invite anyone interested to try them out. Read the official thread over at the Daphne-emu.com forums for more information.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 11:41:50 am by rdg2010 »

Havok

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 11:25:57 am »
Hi rd - first off, I would like to thank you for providing this, as I'm sure it was quite a bit of work, and it looks to be the only viable option for Time Traveler at the moment for XP users. It does add some of the missing functionality to get these games closer to the arcade experience. However, from an end user perspective it does effectively amount to a wrapper as it is still the same game albeit with Mame like controls and high score support. In the end, though, you are still using the same source. Please don't take that wrong - I know it is not a wrapper, but my comment was made just from an end user perspective only.

When I first heard of this project, I was hopeful that there was an actual rip of the arcade laserdisc, and we could use the PC-CDROM for authentication, like the Dragon's Lair\Space Ace functionality of Daphne. Alas, this is not the case. However, this is still great to have and makes it a good alternative for users where storage space is at a premium, and will not be able to handle the larger CHD file that Mame will eventually have available.

isucamper

• Offline Offline
    • my project arcade blog
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 12:54:24 pm »
Hi and thanks for finding us and thanks for your work on this.  My discovery of it got me to finally order a a guncon off ebay for an eventual use as an aimtrack with my MAME cabinet. 

A few questions:

1.  What does it mean that SINGE "simulates" these games?  How is this different than true emulation?
2.  Is it possible to fix the aimtrack/guncon fullscreen issue or is it a limitation of the hardware?

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 09:46:31 pm »
I'll have to give it a try.  It's been so long since I played the real arcade version of any of these games, I don't remember what they are supposed to look like.
Did manage to find some video of the original arcade Mad Dog McCree.  The score & bullets on the SINGE collection do look more authentic.

I remember hating time traveler.  The restaurant my parents took me to every Sunday only had room for two games.
Every week I hoped it would be rotated out for something better.  I'm not sure why I feel the need to get it working now.
It's a sickness, this hobby.

TAG

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2014, 05:52:05 pm
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2010, 10:45:59 am »
2.  Is it possible to fix the aimtrack/guncon fullscreen issue or is it a limitation of the hardware?

If it can't be fixed, I'm hoping to work around this via a pretty simple autohotkey script that moves the window to 0,0 and then hides the blue bar caption/title bar at the top.  That way, it's still techinically in a window, but it appears to be fullscreen.  I don't have my Aimtrak, yet, so I haven't been able to test it, but if you're interested in the script, I can share it.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

-- Dirk Gently

isucamper

• Offline Offline
    • my project arcade blog
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2010, 12:52:24 pm »
yes please :)

Just got a guncon to start messing with.  Gotta get the aimtrack module yet to put in it.  

Edit:  I wonder if off screen reload is supported.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 01:01:48 pm by isucamper »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2010, 10:44:30 pm »
Hmmm, that could be it - I have the DOS versions of Mad Dog and Johnny Rock. Keep us posted about the XP version of McCree...

Just got it today.
The "Remastered" version that says "Windows XP compatible" on the front is much better.
There does look like some pixelation viewing it fullscreen on my 20" LCD monitor, but on my 32" CRT TV over the S-Video input, it looks like standard definition broadcast quality, maybe VHS  :lol

TAG

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2010, 02:01:36 am »
yes please :)

Here you go, just the basics:

Code: [Select]
Gui +AlwaysOnTop -Caption +ToolWindow                                        ; create a black screen that hides the
Gui, Color, 0                                                                                 ; emulator opening and the switch from
Gui, Show, x0 y0 h%A_ScreenHeight% w%A_ScreenWidth%, HSHIDE    ; a window to "fullscreen"

run _________ (insert your command line here -- for example, mine would be C:\Daphne_Singe\daphne.exe singe vldp -x 640 -y 480 -nohwaccel -framefile %rom%)

WinWaitActive, DAPHNE                                                                   ; waits for emulator window to open

WinMove, 0, 0                                                                               ; moves window to upper left corner

WinSet, Style, ^0xC00000, DAPHNE                                                  ; removes caption/blue bar

WinActivate, DAPHNE

Gui, Destroy                                                                                  ; removes black screen

WinWaitClose, DAPHNE

ExitApp

I'm really hoping that this will allow the Aimtrak to work with what appears to be a full screen, so I'd be interested in hearing whether you can get it to work with the Guncon.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

-- Dirk Gently

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2010, 07:55:42 pm »
I had trouble finding a decent size American Laser Games logo for my front-end.
Ended up taking one off a Crime Patrol flyer and cleaning it up a bit.
Not huge, but useable.  Here it is if anyone else wants it:
EDIT: (Better one from SINGE screen capture)

I think these games cheat me sometimes, just like the arcade version did.  :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 09:34:45 pm by BadMouth »

nickynooch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2010, 02:31:41 pm »
Hello. I am the programmer for Daphne's ALG Singe Collection. This thread was brought to my attention and would like to clarify a few things.

The ALG SINGE Collecton is not a group of simple "wrappers". That is incorrect. These are full, stand alone games. Singe is an addon for the Daphne emulator. Some people already use it to play ActionMax on their machines.

The games use the same footage as the Windows CDROMs which is comparable to standard definition (SD) quality. As with other Daphne games you need to own the disc media. The games are cabinet friendly and yes you can disable the cross hairs easily by accessing an in game menu (no hacking necessary). Mouse is the primary input device. Aimtrak and guncon can be used, but not in fullscreen mode.

In terms of accuracy the games stand somewhere between the home versions and the arcade machines. Things that were missing from the CDROMs are now accessible. Unlike the CDROMs the ALG Singe Collection has high score screens, configuration menus, and overall more complete gameplay. Some differences may be immediately apparent, others so technical it would take thorough knowledge of the real arcade to be able to spot them.

Many people put their heads together to make this project a reality. Also in the amateur spirit of this hobby it's available to the community free for personal use. However that also means no technical support. I invite anyone interested to try them out. Read the official thread over at the Daphne-emu.com forums for more information.

Are there plans to have actionmax work with the actlabs light guns.... maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I couldn't get the actlabs guns to work with the actionmax games.  Anyone else have luck with the actionmax + actlabs?  My actlabs guns work great with pretty much everything else.

rdg2010

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2010, 10:51:29 pm »
I'm really hoping that this will allow the Aimtrak to work with what appears to be a full screen, so I'd be interested in hearing whether you can get it to work with the Guncon.

There is a new version of Daphne that address this. It adds a new switch called "-fullscreen_window". Use this parameter instead of "-fullscreen" in your daphne command line. For example:

daphne.exe singe vldp -fullscreen_window -framefile singe/somegame/frame.txt.........

Get the latest version at the official thread.

TAG

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2010, 06:03:37 am »
Quote from: rdg2010 link=topic=105956.msg1126262#msg1126262
There is a new version of Daphne that address this. It adds a new switch called "-fullscreen_window". Use this parameter instead of "-fullscreen" in your daphne command line. For example:

daphne.exe singe vldp -fullscreen_window -framefile singe/somegame/frame.txt.........

Get the latest version at the official thread.

Great, thanks for the update and the link!

-- Dirk Gently

isucamper

• Offline Offline
    • my project arcade blog
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2010, 12:03:21 am »
rdg, thanks for your work!  getting these games to run is about 1000 times easier than it was getting daphne going on my cabinet.  got my mad dog dvd and it was a snap following your instructions.  

one question:  is offscreen reload supported for these games?  seems it only works with a mouse button.  I don't actually have my aimtrack up and going yet (or bought even) but I'm playing with a mouse and I don't see a way to do offscreen reload.  

edit:  nevermind!  the aimtrak takes care of this for you.  you can map the onscreen and offscreen trigger to different functions. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 12:17:39 am by isucamper »

rdg2010

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2010, 11:07:29 pm »
I see you figured it out. In the case of Wingun there is an equivalent feature called 'Click on Edges' or similar. Whatever device you end up using, go to the game's configuration menu (hit '9' on the keyboard) and look up the option called "Reload Mode". Set it to "Immediate" to reload on demand.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 05:10:37 am by rdg2010 »

GreatLamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2010, 03:07:50 pm »
Daphne supports multiple guns for 2 player game? EMS Topguns on the shelf, anybody tried the games?

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2010, 09:14:34 pm »
Daphne supports multiple guns for 2 player game? EMS Topguns on the shelf, anybody tried the games?

Did you read that somewhere?  I couldn't find any info on 2 player being supported.
I installed SINGE and loaded the games from the xp cd-rom versions this evening.
I tried Crime Patrol & Drug Wars, but couldn't find any options for 2 player.
Coin slot #1 is 5 and 1P start is 1.  
Not mentioned in the instructions, but 6 works as coin slot #2, so logic would say 2p start would be 2, but it does nothing.
Loading The Last Bounty Hunter now, but I don't expect it to be any different.
I think all the other games were only 1 player to begin with.

The video quality seems to have diminished a bit on the SINGE conversion.   :'(
We'll see how it looks over the S-Vid connection.
Anyone else notice this or is it just in my head?

« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 09:18:26 pm by BadMouth »

isucamper

• Offline Offline
    • my project arcade blog
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2010, 12:02:30 am »
I've only tried Mad Dog and Time Traveler, and the video looks fine.  I used DVDs for these though. 

Time Traveler tends to glitch up a bit, going to the devil scenes when it shouldn't (I think) and locking up on the game over screen.  Otherwise, its running pretty well.  Finally got my aimtrak ordered, probably won't be here by the weekend though. 

GreatLamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2010, 11:41:02 am »

Ok, I checked. Only one player accepted. But Singed lightgun games looks pretty good ones.

isucamper

• Offline Offline
    • my project arcade blog
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2010, 08:32:14 am »
Got my aimtraks and have been playing some Mad Dog in Singe and Lethal Enforcers in MAME.

So far I have mixed feelings on the aimtraks.  They work great when calibrated... but I'm tall, and anyone else who wants to try them has to recalibrate or turn the aim cursor on, which is not acceptable to me.  And... after calibration, if I'm not in the exact spot I was when I calibrated, then the accuracy gets off a bit.  For instance, if I calibrate with my arm fully extended, but then get tired during a game and bend my arm, this will throw off my shots by a quarter inch or so.  I know, this isn't much, and most people might find it acceptable, but these light gun games are hard enough as it is, and the little bit of precision loss is going to mess you up in the later stages of these games.  The last two levels of Lethal Enforcers are not really playable unless you make a concerted effort to stay exactly in your calibration zone, and that little bit of distraction is enough to impact your gameplay. 

So after two days I would say that the aimtraks are fine for casual players, but for anyone who wants to play the more difficult stages of these games and play them well (without the cursor turned on as they should be played), they just aren't going to do the job.  Perhaps my opinion will change.  We'll see.

Anyway, I do have a Singe related question. 

For MAME games, in order to get offscreen reload to work with the aimtraks I have to set onscreen trigger = left mouse, and offscreen trigger = left mouse.  But for Singe, you can only reload with the right mouse.  Does anyone know a way around this?  Otherwise I have to go into the aimtrak configuration tool to make the switch whenever I go from Singe->MAME or back again.

I think the "on boarders" reload option in Singe should probably be linked to the left mouse button, then it would be consistent with MAME.

bwodie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 30, 2010, 10:03:26 pm
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2010, 11:15:56 pm »
I have been considering selling all my original laser disc gear as it is just becoming to much hassle to keep going.
I am a purist like you so I bet the aimtrak will annoy me. Are there any other options ?
I want to play mad dog, crime patrol etc

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2010, 10:33:06 am »
I have the old Act Labs ray guns and am happy with the way they work (not real crazy about the styling, but they are discontinued anyway).
They are a real light gun, so they are pixel accurate, but limited to CRTs.
http://www.act-labs.com/products/gun1.htm

If you're a purist, you might not be happy with the Digital Leisure games or the SINGE conversions.
The interface of the PC versions is different and nothing like the arcade.
The SINGE versions have the arcade interface, but the video quality is reduced as part of the conversion process.  (I used the XP CD-Roms)
I imagine converting a Mad Dog DVD would yield higher quality, but that's the only one that's available on DVD.

I ended up using the PC versions on my system because the video quality was better and the interface, although not the same as the arcade, doesn't look as dated.