Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Swedens smallest?  (Read 4190 times)

matsadona

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2023, 06:00:12 am
Swedens smallest?
« on: September 12, 2010, 05:47:07 pm »
The smallest JAMMA cabinet that is - what did you think?  :P

Well, this thread will be my contribute to this great forum and a showroom for my latest project.
The intention, or maybe challenge, was to see how small a full functional JAMMA cabinet with a CRT monitor could be.

As you can see I have been inspired by other builds here at the forum. Bella's Arcade is of course one of them, that has to be mentionend.

It is not fully built yet, but is starts to shape up in something that I'm satisfied with.

Some facts. The CRT tube is actually an old 14" TV, that I looted and build a SCART adapter with resistors.
Obvious upside is that all colors and settings are perfect from start. The downside is that I have less control of HOR and VERT size and position.
I started the build with a real arcade tube, but the China chassi PCB gave me such a headache, so I threw it away.

The PCB powering this beauty is an ICADE 60-in-1 multi PCB, that has the most (vertical) classics in it.
Why not a MAME build, some might ask. Well, already been there and I wanted to do the real thing this time.
Maybe there will be another thread with the MAME project later on...

The speakers are two 5$ car speakers, and that's perfectly fine. Anything more expensive would be a waste, since the audio on these multi PCB's are so damn distorted.

The marquee is lit by a CCFL tube, which is nice both regarding voltage and no interference transmitted from it.

I bought a pre made JAMMA loom to save some time, and both joystick, buttons and PSU are from www.arcadegames.se.

T-mold is from www.t-molding.com, and I'm about to put in an E-limitator (great gadget by the way) from www.arcadeshop.de to have movement restrictions i 4-way games like Donkey Kong and Pacman.

The sideart are made by my self, with origins from original bezel and sidearts. It is printed in a local print studio with a lot of help from a friend there.

I have some bugs to sort out though. I still haven't hooked up the coin acceptor yet, and I also need to install TEST and SERVICE buttons.
The ICADE 60-in-1 PCB also generates a lot of interference to the sound when placed within the cabinet. I have found out that it is the CRT tube that is the bad guy, so I'm trying different positions and shields to  prevent this. It is playable though, but very annoying.
But when building as small as this, there has to be a compromise or two somewhere I guess.

Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)

matsadona

• Offline Offline
Re: Swedens smallest?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 05:49:52 pm »
Just adding some more pics from various steps in the process...

broberg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2018, 09:53:27 am
  • Less is More
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 06:50:50 pm »
Nice to see more swedes around,

Really Cool build!

Var i Sverige är du placerad?

Mvh. Pierre 'Östgöten' Broberg
Building ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- is fun!
Currently working on : Tron Desk, Kawasaki GPZ900R, Chevrolet S10 And Suzuki DR650

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:34:09 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 07:44:21 pm »
Hello there!  :cheers:

matsadona

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 02:27:54 am »
broberg -> Thanks. I live in Skara.

emphatic -> Hello. I realised it was time to go global with this project :)

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 11:01:22 am »
I love that you still put a full-size coin door on it, even at that size.  :cheers:

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2021, 06:14:23 am
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 03:23:47 pm »
Haha that is sooooooo cute!   :applaud:

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 03:35:51 pm »
It is playable though, but very annoying.

Couldn't have said it better myself. My Galaga is 20.5" tall and can be difficult to play. It has a form factor that is similar to yours

matsadona

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 05:56:28 pm »
Thanks for your feedback guys  :)

Regarding "playable but annoying", I was referring to the noice I have in the speakers generated by the magnetic field.

leapinlew -> I just wieved the thread with your builds, and wow, have you been a busy bee :) Some really nice things back there.
But yes, the form factor is similar and I can just say that the person (unknown to me) who did the original design was a genious.

Shortbus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 03:20:00 pm
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 12:22:52 pm »
nice project. Question, that coin mech/coin door, whatever it's called, where can they be bought? how does it work, just the entry, I like that, coin doors are pretty huge ????

thanks

matsadona

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 03:19:18 pm »
nice project. Question, that coin mech/coin door, whatever it's called, where can they be bought? how does it work, just the entry, I like that, coin doors are pretty huge ????

thanks

I got this particular one at an auction at a Swedish arcade forum. It was in bad shape but I repainted it so it looks decent know.
The coinmech was bought in another deal and I really don't know if it works or not yet. Haven't got the time to test it.

If you live in the US I would go for eBay if you can live with a used one.
Else there are plenty of online shops that sells both the coindoors and the coinmechs in various formats.

If you live in Europe I would recomend www.arcadeshop.de or www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk.

jimmy2x2x

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2018, 01:29:48 am
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 07:42:02 pm »
Nice project!

Just a quick question about the general construction, are the metal brackets the only thing holding the cab together, or is it glued or maybe screwed together?

How is the stability - is there any rock or sway?

Thanks

matsadona

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 08:40:11 am »
Thanks

Yes, it is only the brackets that hold it together. No glue or additional screws anywhere.
The reason is mainly that I didn't want any holes on the outside to fill and sand (which was very time consuming and a pain in the ass to complete on my full size MAME cabinet).
Since there is plenty of the brackets and the internal shelves for the monitor the cabinet is stable, without any wobble.

Domino

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2013, 08:56:34 am
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 06:20:29 am »
Nice to see more swedes around,

Really Cool build!

Var i Sverige är du placerad?

Mvh. Pierre 'Östgöten' Broberg
Råkar inte vara du som är Pierre på svenska Volvo 7/900 klubben också?
Mvh: Domino