Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My First Build!!!!!1111oneoneone  (Read 2062 times)

Trontastic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2011, 02:25:36 am
My First Build!!!!!1111oneoneone
« on: December 29, 2010, 09:18:29 pm »
So, I've been lurking in the bushes for some time now and planning, planning, planning and some more planning. I think I'm at the point I can comfortably make the announcement.

First off, I'd like to start with what got me itching to build my own upright. A few weeks ago I went up to the mountains with some friends. The cabin we rented for the week had a Ms. Pac-Man arcade in it... I wasn't very social that whole trip :D. When I got back I found MAME, that night while dreaming of DoT I had the amazing idea to build my own rig... Then I found you wonderful people... Since I got back I've been drawing up visio's and building cardboard models. Last weekend I ordered some parts from Ultimarc (Mag stick+, buttons and miniPAC Opti) which shipped today!! The rest will have to wait a couple weeks.

Below are my visio's and some pictures of my cardboard model. It's not perfect, but it helped out a lot.

I'd like to thank you all on this forum for the wealth of info/ideas I was able to get from all your awesome posts.

A little background on myself: I'm a 26 year-old old soul, I'd rather play Galaga or Tron than Call of Duty. I'm a network engineer so I'm hoping my control panel wiring will be somewhat decent to look at and correctly labeled ( :laugh2: who am I kidding, right?).

I'm planning on using a 21" flat panel (I know, I know, but money is an issue with this and I haven't seen any issues with vertical games on my flat screen so far).  

I haven't really put any thought into art work yet, I'm not very "artsy" so I might have to recruit the help of a friend for that.

The only real fear I have is with all the woodwork, I'm fortunate enough to have a friend that grew up on a table saw, so he'll be in charge of cutting :D

Again, thank you all for the priceless info you've provided! I hope to have updates flowing daily in the next week or so.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 09:21:17 pm by Trontastic »

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 10:50:02 am
  • Rock and Roll!
Re: My First Build!!!!!1111oneoneone
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 10:29:54 pm »
Nice, classic design. Do you have a colour scheme in mind?

Trontastic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 10:33:04 pm »
None at all, I think I'm gonna do red, white and blue buttons for both players. I kind of wanted to do a TRON theme, but thought it wouldn't mesh well with the buttons. Also considering something like APB with the police car.

Mr.Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2013, 09:28:37 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 12:12:59 am »
I would be moving the pause button back between the spinner, Just my 2c

I do like the classic lines to the cab, looking forward to the build

Trontastic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 12:15:47 am »
I was actually planning on putting the pause button on the front of the CP so it would be laying horizontal, I just got lazy with the visio :D

Trontastic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 03:14:58 pm »
Got my order from Ultimarc today! I ordered all the buttons I would need, one Mag-Stic + and the ipac mini, I'm hoping to buy some wood today and get started on the CP. Friday is pay day, so I'm hoping to order the rest of what I need (track ball, spinner and second mag-stic).

I've also been debating using a TV over a widescreen LCD, I have a free TV available, but haven't gotten the measurements on it yet. As my space is limited I decided if the TV can fit in my current design I'll go with it, if not, it's going to have to be a 24" flat screen.

Edit: So, I got the mesurments of the TV and it is slightly too deep for my cab, LCD it is... Also, I've decided on a "Contra" theme. I'm thinking a camo cab, not sure if I want to paint it or just buy vinyl yet.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 05:54:53 pm by Trontastic »