Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Critique my marquee art!  (Read 9597 times)

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
Re: Critique my marquee art!
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2010, 03:25:54 pm »
I liked the stark black and white one with the single large eye the best. To me, it looks very busy with two eyes.
The one thing I thought would be cool would be an intense splash of color around the "O".

I suck at image editing, so can't really pull off exactly what I'm saying, but did this just to convey my idea. I did blue, but another color that matched the rest of the cab would be great.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2010, 03:31:50 pm »
Hey Ragnar -

print off the cat eyes photo and ask some folks to read it to you. That'll tell you how others are perceive your art. It's easy to get lost when doing this type of work and before you know it. You make something only you can interpret.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2010, 03:39:05 pm »
Hey Ragnar -

print off the cat eyes photo and ask some folks to read it to you. That'll tell you how others are perceive your art. It's easy to get lost when doing this type of work and before you know it. You make something only you can interpret.
A little artist trick I keep telling people is to squint your eyes when you look at the image, if you can't fully make out the "key details", then you'll need to fix the image to make it more clear.

Rick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2010, 03:39:24 pm »
I liked the stark black and white one with the single large eye the best.

Have you tried similar, using "Gamesomnia", his other choice?  Would it bring the eyeball more into centre, or throw it all off?

ragnar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 10:40:56 am
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2010, 09:13:55 am »
My brother in law is going to try out some ideas for me next week.

I'm going to point him to this thread for inspiration.  With one eye, Gamesomnia will be an option.
MY FIRST BUILD:

ragnar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 10:40:56 am
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2010, 07:48:49 am »
I printed out a color version of hte marquee and stuck it on the cabinet and back lit it.  My brother in law actually said he liked it alot.  I like it but don't love it.

So, I ordered it.  I figure that if I don't like it, I can always replace it later.  It's only $25 or so.  No a huge expense given the total project cost.

It's much like the image last posted (and in my signature) but with transparent images of donkey kong and mario in the pupils.
MY FIRST BUILD: