Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Does anyone still have a Vivanonno wrapper? (ridge racer 2, rave racer emu)  (Read 16717 times)

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 08:21:52 pm
I spent half the day figuring out Vivanonno and adding it to my driving cab.

I got all the controls sorted via logitech profiler (the settings.xml file resets to default every time I launch the game  ??? ).
Now I'm trying to launch them from MALA.

I came across this thread: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=72422.0
but the link in it is dead.

I downloaded a Vivanonno wrapper from megaupload.  I have no idea of the source.
It works for launching the games, but is messing with my controls.  Every time I press the right paddle shifter, the game crashes & then tries to launch a 2nd instance of the game.  EDIT:Turned out that the controls were still active in MALA and that was causing the problem.

Does anyone still have the wrapper mentioned in the thread on this board?

Ideally, I need a version that does nothing but launch the games and exit on esc.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 12:48:06 pm by BadMouth »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
Re: Does anyone still have a Vivanonno wrapper? (ridge racer 2, rave racer emu)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 06:48:46 pm »
Well, I guess I'm in for an evening of tinkering with AutoHotKey then....  :-\

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 08:09:44 pm »
Only took about 10 minutes with the Auto Script Writer.  ;D

Tweaked the script a little to speed things up.
Not the smoothest transition into a game, but it works.

shateredsoul

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2013, 08:23:51 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 03:39:03 am »
interesting, where did you get auto script write? Is it an option in autohotkey? I never even knew that existed

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 07:58:37 am »
It installed with autohotkey.  I never noticed it when I installed autohotkey on my cab.
When I installed it on my main computer, then navigated to Start>Programs>Autohotkey folder,
it was in there.  Went back to the cab and sure enough, it was there.

The newer version also had a "convert to .exe" feature that the old one on my cab didn't.

Amazing tool.  It records all input, mouse movements, etc. beginning with the launch of an exe.
You can type, click, etc and see what the script is for what you just did.
Really speeds up the learning curve.  

It launched Vivanonno, then recorded what I did to navigate to the game and go fullscreen.  Then I looked a the script it had made, cut out all the pauses (sleep) to speed things up, saved it, and then created a shortcut to the .ahk file.
Then all I had to do was point Mala to the .lnk shortcut file (like with PC games) to get it to launch the game.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 10:49:31 am by BadMouth »

shateredsoul

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2013, 08:23:51 pm
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 01:19:49 pm »
Nice! This will be very useful! thanks!

brolly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2012, 06:21:12 pm
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 06:18:27 pm »
Would it be possible for you to share your script? I'd like to give this a try.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 10:26:44 pm »
Would it be possible for you to share your script? I'd like to give this a try.

I know they're probably sloppy.  What I lack in knowledge, I make up for in persistence.
I tried deleting some of the WinWait, WinActivate stuff that seemed redundant, but ended up in a loop that just kept launching more instances of Vivanonno.  :dizzy:
If you know enough about autohotkey to clean these up and speed up the launch process, please share your results.

Rave Racer:
Code: [Select]
Run, C:\Emulators\Programs\Ridge Racer\vivanonno.exe
WinWait, viva nonno,
IfWinNotActive, viva nonno, , WinActivate, viva nonno,
WinWaitActive, viva nonno,
Send, {ALTDOWN}s{ALTUP}{ENTER}{ENTER}
WinWait, Select System,
IfWinNotActive, Select System, , WinActivate, Select System,
WinWaitActive, Select System,
MouseClick, left,  58,  127
Send, {ENTER}
WinWait, viva nonno - *,
IfWinNotActive, viva nonno - *, , WinActivate, viva nonno - *,
WinWaitActive, viva nonno - *,
Send, {ALTDOWN}{ENTER}{ALTUP}

Ridge Racer
Run, C:\Emulators\Programs\Ridge Racer\vivanonno.exe
WinWait, viva nonno,
IfWinNotActive, viva nonno, , WinActivate, viva nonno,
WinWaitActive, viva nonno,
Send, {ALTDOWN}s{ALTUP}{ENTER}{ENTER}
WinWait, Select System,
IfWinNotActive, Select System, , WinActivate, Select System,
WinWaitActive, Select System,
MouseClick, left,  82,  70

send, {ENTER}
WinWait, viva nonno - system resetted,
IfWinNotActive, viva nonno - system resetted, , WinActivate, viva nonno - system resetted,
WinWaitActive, viva nonno - system resetted,
Send, {ALTDOWN}{ENTER}{ALTUP}

Steps the script is doing:

Launch Vivanonno
Alt+S is to select they System tab
Enter opens the drop down menu
Enter Selects Load
Mouse click to select game (could not find another way)
Enter to launch game
Alt+Enter for fullscreen

EDIT: Another script is available on the hyperspin boards that covers up the screen while loading and uses Alt+Tab to switch to the game select box, but if you have any other windows or applications running, Alt+Tab might switch to them instead.  Make sure you have nothing else open, not even a folder.
http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=70396&postcount=91
(I'm altering mine to work that way, but haven't tested it on the cab yet)

« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 09:39:04 am by BadMouth »

brolly

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2012, 06:21:12 pm
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 10:36:08 pm »
Thanks, will give it a try. Don't know much about ahk myself, so I can't help you much there. At least you made it work, that's a good start ;)

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
Wow. I am pleasantly surprised to see other fans of Viva Nonno and the Ridge Racer/Rave Racer games in this forum. Allow me to make a few comments:

If there was EVER an emulator with so much potential that has died a premature death, it is Viva Nonno. It's as if the author deliberately dangled a carrot in front of our faces, gave us a nibble and then snatched it away.

I enjoy playing Rave Racer so much in this emu. It is such an amazing and fantastic game! The peak of the arcade Ridge games for me. Viva was an emu that was way ahead of its time. Offering a plethora of options for video and the ability to map the games control output to just about any controller. I too, use a an FFB wheel(ECCI 7000), but I also use a set of pedals, and an H-gated gear shifter....all of which are separate USB devices. With the help of a little program called Joy2Key, I am able to enjoy Rave Racer with all three of them without any issues.

The thing I really miss however with the RR games, is force feedback. Oh how I would LOVE to play Rave Racer and Ridge Racer 2 with the FFB effects they originally delivered on the actual arcade machine. I have no doubt my wheel would deliver an experience that not only equals but SURPASSES that of the arcade cab's wheel. I so, so, SOOO wish the author(whatever his name might be) would have added force feedback to Viva Nonno before he abandoned the emu. This would have made it perfect! I would not ask for any other feature(well, perhaps netplay, but that's stretching it :p )

Anyway, if there is *ANYONE* out there who knows of a way to get in contact with the author of Viva Nonno, please ask him to come here and read this thread and consider adding FFB support. He will see that there are many people who still enjoy using this wonderful program. I for one, am eternally grateful for being able to play my favorite arcade racing game at home on a killer setup, thanks to the Viva Nonno author.

Viva la Viva Nonno!!!!!!  :notworthy: :cheers: :burgerking: :applaud: :afro: :notworthy: :cheers: :burgerking: :applaud: :afro:

Encryptor

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 08:01:18 pm
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 06:26:19 am »
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 05:16:14 am by Encryptor »

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 07:04:34 am »
A quick google search brought me to the emulator zone. It was there to download.

Encryptor

Hi Encryptor and Happy Holidays. Please don't take this the wrong way bro, but what was the point of your post? I don't see anyone in this thread asking where to find the Viva Nonno emu. I'm certain everyone here has it already. So I don't understand why it was necessary to post a link to it?

Encryptor

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 08:01:18 pm
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 09:58:43 am »
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 05:16:25 am by Encryptor »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 09:54:47 am »
isamu, do you happen to know what format to use in the settings.xml file for keyboard input?

I never did get keyboard input working right.
And when viva nonno doesn't like what you have in the xml file, it replaces it with the default xml file.
I gave up after a while.

I set it to freeplay so all I have to do is press the gas to start, but I kinda like hitting the quarter button.
I know I could use autohotkey to map the keyboard key to a button on my logitech wheel,
but I'd still like to know if there is a way to remap the keys in the xml file or if it's just a symptom of the emulator being unfinished.

Please post your xml file if you've remapped the keys and they are working.

(btw, I play RR2 more than any other game on my driving cab)

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 02:28:20 am »
isamu, do you happen to know what format to use in the settings.xml file for keyboard input?

I never did get keyboard input working right.
And when viva nonno doesn't like what you have in the xml file, it replaces it with the default xml file.
I gave up after a while.

I set it to freeplay so all I have to do is press the gas to start, but I kinda like hitting the quarter button.
I know I could use autohotkey to map the keyboard key to a button on my logitech wheel,
but I'd still like to know if there is a way to remap the keys in the xml file or if it's just a symptom of the emulator being unfinished.

Please post your xml file if you've remapped the keys and they are working.

(btw, I play RR2 more than any other game on my driving cab)

Greetings Badmouth :)

Sure no problem bro, I will be happy to upload my XML file for you. It has been over 6 years since I modified the XML file so I don't remember exactly what I had changed from the default settings, but from what I can see, it should be fairly easy and straightforward to do it. The input keys that I have assigned Viva Nonno to are fairly basic. I think you can simply copy what I have, and then use Joy2Key to map whatever buttons on your steering wheel or shifter to whatever keys represent the buttons in the Ridge Racer games.

Anyway here's the file, enjoy

Oh and yes RR2 is indeed, the beez knees, but Rave Racer is unparalleled IMHO  :afro:

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 07:57:28 am »
</keyboard></control></general><game><RidgeRacer/><RidgeRacer2
Thanks.
There are no keyboard controls set in your xml file.
All your controls are mapped to joystick/wheel buttons.
That's how mine is because I've never been able to get it to accept anything I put in for the keyboard.
I guess only the creator of the emulator knows for sure.

I've googled and came across other posts about the same thing, but never found the answer.
The game's been working fine on my driving cab for a while.
It's just something I'm still curious about.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 10:24:37 am by BadMouth »

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 01:46:54 am »
Hi Badmouth. Are you sure you're looking at *my* xml file and not someone elses'? because the keyboard section from mine looks like this....

<keyboard><axis gas="X" brake="C"/><button coin1="1" test="S" service="A"/></keyboard>

Notice it says X for gas and C for brake. Those are the two keys I've assigned on my keyboard for gas and brake. You can replace those with any letter you want. I can confirm that this works perfectly because I am using Joy2Key to map my gas and brake pedals to X and C and they work no problem. Ditto with assigning coin 1 to "1" and test to "S". Try modifying those lines in the xml file.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2010, 06:54:18 am »
You are absolutely right! And you've answered my question!  :applaud:

Sorry, I'm not sure what happened when I looked at the file.
I took </keyboard> as the beginning instead of the end and didn't notice the <keyboard> before it.
Sigh.
Thanks for straightening me out and thanks for solving the mystery.
I'll try it on my cab & add it to the driving cab thread.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
You are absolutely right! And you've answered my question!  :applaud:

Sorry, I'm not sure what happened when I looked at the file.
I took </keyboard> as the beginning instead of the end and didn't notice the <keyboard> before it.
Sigh.
Thanks for straightening me out and thanks for solving the mystery.
I'll try it on my cab & add it to the driving cab thread.

It now quite clear to me that sadly my memory, at age 38, is failing me. Badmouth I have been discussing Model 3 and all things Sega with you over at Bart's SuperModel forum, and I totally TOTALLY forgot you're the same guy from this thread! My goodness, I didn't recognize your name. And the sad thing is, this happens more and more frequently. I will be discussing somemthing with someone on another forum, and then a few months later they'd pop up somewhere on a different forum but I don't even remember them! That is an unpleasant feeling and not a good sign :(

Anyway Badmouth I'm just ranting and babbling. Hope you're still enjoying Ridge 2 in your cab dude. Isn't it awesome to now have the Ridge Racer games *AND* Model 3 games in our home? Too cool!!  :afro:

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
Yeah, I figured out you were Outrun2006 over on Mameworld when you posted a video.  In the beginning, you identified yourself as isamu.

Seems to be dying down over on Supermodel3, but it attracted a lot of people with driving setups we wouldn't have met otherwise.
 :cheers:

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!!  :cheers:

Well, to ring in the new year,  I decided to fire up Viva Nonno for the first time a long time, to see how well my wheel, pedals and shifter work. If I remember correctly, I used to play VivaNonno with this same wheel with no problems. It recognized it without issue.

Now however, for some odd ball reason it doesn't acknowledge my wheel and turning left and right in Rave Racer yields no results at all. The joystick portion of my XML file looks like this:

<control><joystick><axis handle="X" gas="Z Rotation" brake="Slider"/><button coin1="9" coin2="10" clutch="13" shift1="8" shift2="7" shift3="6" shift4="5" shift5="4" shift6="3" shift_up="2" shift_down="1" test="11" service="15" view_change="16" pause="14"/></joystick>

Notice it says axis handle="X". That should allow it to pick my wheel analog input but it doesn't.

Badmouth.....were you able to get Viva to pick up the analog steering inputs on your wheel? If so, what wheel are you using? I am using an ECCI 7000 ffb. What does the joystick section of your xml file look like? Is it the same as mine?

Y'know....I think there *MIGHT* be a possibility it has something to do with the way my USB devices are ordered within Windows Control Panel. My devices are listed as the following:

TH8RS Gear Shifter = Controller ID #1
Belkin Nostromo = Controller ID #2
ECCI Steering Wheel = Controller ID #3
CST Pedals = Controller ID #4

Do you suspect Viva Nonno is not recognizing my wheel because it is NOT the first device listed and isn't controller ID #1? I wonder if I were to unplug both my Nostromo and the shifter would it then pick it up? What do you guys think?

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
U*P*D*A*T*E

Sure enough, I was right. Viva Nonno now acknowledges my wheel, because it now controller ID #1 Within windows control panel. The bad news, is that it doesn't acknowledge my pedals, and of course my shifter needs to remain unplugged otherwise it will default to Controller ID#1, bumping the ECCI Steering down to ID #2. This basically sucks :( I need to find a way have windows allow me to re-arrange my USB devices in the order I want them, so that the device I want to be ID 1 will remain ID 1 no matter WHAT I have plugged in. I have searched all over the net for such a utility but nothing exists out there, due to the nature of the way Windows 7 is coded. Freaking sucks :(

On another note, does anyone know how to make Viva Nonno stretch while in full screen? I'm running a 16:9 front pj and the picture is small.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
On another note, does anyone know how to make Viva Nonno stretch while in full screen? I'm running a 16:9 front pj and the picture is small.

Just tried it on my win7 laptop and I'm not sure how to make it not stretch, lol.
Here is the graphics section of my cfg (don't really see anything that would affect the aspect ratio):
<graphics texture_format="1" texture_reduction="1" gamma_correction="0.650000"
black_level="0.000000" white_level="1.000000" frame_skip="0" no_wait="0"
show_fps="0" interlace="0" interlace_level="96" texture_filtering="1"
depth_bias="1" texture_mipmap="0"/>
(no different than what it is on my 4:3 cab)

Have you tried Ridge Racer on recent MAME releases?
It's emulated much better than with viva nonno, but it takes some major power to run.

My new i7 laptop will run it, but my driving cab won't.  :-\

If you can run it in MAME, Dr Venture's controller utility can keep your controls straight.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=108767.0
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 09:42:19 am by BadMouth »

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!

Have you tried Ridge Racer on recent MAME releases?
It's emulated much better than with viva nonno, but it takes some major power to run.

My new i7 laptop will run it, but my driving cab won't.  :-\

If you can run it in MAME, Dr Venture's controller utility can keep your controls straight.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=108767.0

Thanks BadMouth. I tried the latest version of MAME and you're right, Rave Racer appears to run pretty damn good. However, unfortunately I am facing another problem. With MAME, my wheel gets no steering resistance. In other words, the virtual spring effect is pretty much non-existent due to my wheel being 900 degrees. What I usually do to combat this, is run whatever non-force feedback game I'm using with an xInput dll file that makes my steering wheel become an xinput device. With this dll file, I can tweak the steering resistance for my wheel and give a very strong centering spring effect even if the game doesn't offer this ability. Unfortunately, MAME doesn't appear to support xinput devices, and therefore my wheel when turning has no resistance whatsoever.

So, I was wondering if you or anyone else knows of a version of MAME that *does* support xinput? Or perhaps some sort of third party utility that allows any version of mame to support and acknowledge xinput? It would be very very helpful if you can point me in the right direction. :)

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
So, I was wondering if you or anyone else knows of a version of MAME that *does* support xinput? Or perhaps some sort of third party utility that allows any version of mame to support and acknowledge xinput? It would be very very helpful if you can point me in the right direction. :)

I remember people compiling their own versions that didn't use direct input so that programs like autohotkey would work.
Not sure if xinput was part of that convesation or not.  You'd probably have a better chance of getting an answer if you posted it as it's own topic.

It didn't dawn on me until this morning that if you switch to MAME or Ridge Racer, you'll be back to a 4:3 screen  :lol
Windows 7 will keep the controller ID's straight as long as you don't unplug anything won't it?

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
Well the thing is, some devices are hardcoded with a permanent windows ID # as 1. My shifter from Thrustmaster is one such example. Therefore whether I unplug all my devices and re-plug them back in in the order I want or not, that particular device will ALWAYS be number one in Windows. It really sucks and I don't know why they do it this way. But yeah, I think checked out Rave Racer in MAME but my gas pedals don't work properly in the "World" version. Only the Japanese one.

I will start a new topic about Xinput.

By the way, can you tell me what steering wheel you have Badmouth, and whether or not your gas and brake pedals work properly in all versions of Rave Racer in MAME? Thanks.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
OK I think I have come up with a "trick" for using Viva Nonno with my wheel....I simply unplug my shifter and nostromo, start Viva Nonno, and then plug them back in. Viva will still think that my wheel is ID # 1 hehe  :burgerking:

Hey Badmouth just wanna say thanks for all the replies and the suggestions you've made so far in attempting to help me out. It's appreciated brother.

A couple things mate....

1)I have a favor to ask....Regarding the post that you typed earlier, the one that contains the xml settings in quotations....If it's not too much trouble can you please edit out those XML settings? The reason is because it kinda messed up my screen and made the forum's window too wide, requiring me to scroll sideways in order to read all the posts here.

2)Can you please tell me if you know of a way to change the dip switch settings in Rave Racer under Viva Nonno? I know MAME can do it, but I'd prefer to do it in Viva Nonno as well. I don't see the option anywhere in the xml settings.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
2)Can you please tell me if you know of a way to change the dip switch settings in Rave Racer under Viva Nonno? I know MAME can do it, but I'd prefer to do it in Viva Nonno as well. I don't see the option anywhere in the xml settings.

Not that I know of, but I do know the default mapping in viva nonno have an input for each gear (never tried using them).