Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Basement Theater/Game Room [Finished!]  (Read 55958 times)

Necro

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2022, 08:22:22 pm
  • Building a 'Classic' MAME Cab
Re: Gameroom/Theater/Bar - Trying Again
« Reply #160 on: May 14, 2011, 07:29:36 pm »
Hehe...the average salary in arizona is prob. half that in NYC also.  :)

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #161 on: May 16, 2011, 01:54:46 pm »
Hehe...the average salary in arizona is prob. half that in NYC also.  :)

That's why you should work here for a bunch of years and then move there.  That house looks big but it could be deceiving - is there even a second floor? 

I had a lot of success this weekend.  We are basically cleared to do whatever we want... so now comes the scary part of actually going through with it...

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #162 on: May 16, 2011, 02:36:37 pm »
I live in Arizona. You can get a nice foreclosure right now for that price.

For example: http://www.azsearchforhomes.com/idx/mls-4548942-3006_e_muirwood_drive_ahwatukee_az_85048

175k for this http://mls-photos.diversesolutions.com/237/4584833/0-full.jpg

brb moving to arizona :burgerking:

That house looks ridiculous.  It's not a house with a garage attached.  It's a garage with a small house attached.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #163 on: August 03, 2011, 06:35:03 pm »
Well, it is official... I'm moving forward with this project - finally.  After about a year's delay the wife and I decided what the hell and we are just going to go for it.  Anyway, the architect will have final plans and elevations drafted by the end of the month and we are going to be heard by the zoning board in town at the November meeting.  This puts us on track for a March/April 2012 start and since the project is supposed to take 3-4 months to complete we are about 1 year away.  It seems like a long time but I'm sure it will go fast.

The good news is that the final layout of the basement is going to be pretty nice and not so irregular shaped like I initially thought.  There will be room for an open theater area, a small kitchenette/bar area and, most importantly, a bunch of arcade cabinets!  I'll be taking all suggestions on layout once I have the official plans to post but I've attached my best guess at the moment which should be mostly accurate (although I'm hoping the builder/architect can squeeze a little more space out of the thing...

Benevolance

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2019, 03:13:59 pm
« Reply #164 on: August 03, 2011, 07:49:00 pm »
In the original plans, was the idea to only raise part of the basement to 8' ceilings? Or is that something new you've done to curtail some of the costs?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #165 on: August 03, 2011, 09:29:34 pm »
In the original plans, was the idea to only raise part of the basement to 8' ceilings? Or is that something new you've done to curtail some of the costs?

That was always the plan.  The 6' ceilings are part of the existing basement. I have to come in about 5' from each wall to dig down. 

DNA Dan

• Guys.. we're not talking gold bars here
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2017, 11:39:00 am
« Reply #166 on: September 01, 2011, 01:45:55 pm »
Looks good man! Take the plunge and enjoy the fruits of your labor. You guys deserve it. I assume by now you've "broken ground" and are living at a Holiday Inn?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #167 on: February 20, 2012, 03:02:01 pm »
Wow... almost a year and a half since the wife and I got "serious" about this project... we are so close - to starting!  We are scheduled to go before the zoning board on March 12 to get approval for our variance. 

We have been less than thrilled with our architect - seems as though her company can't do simple math.  Basically, you are allowed 20% lot coverage in my town.  Anything more requires a variance.  The zoning board will typically just say yes to anything under 22% but stop and pause for anything over 22% - it is arbitrary and stupid.  Anyway, the architect designed the addition to cover 21.87% which should be fine... however, the town did their calculations and said we would actually be at 22.3%.  The town will not budge from their numbers.  The difference?  The architect is measuring coverage to the corners of my foundation - the town (and surveyor) are measuring to the corners of my shingles, which stick out about 2" all the way around the house.  Can you believe it?  Seems like something the architect should have known at the beginning, right?

I'm hoping that if the zoning board does start asking questions I'll be able to give them some comfort on how the numbers were arrived at and they will approve everything.  I hate hate hate this entire process and we haven't even begun construction yet.  Not to mention we are already out several thousand dollars in design costs...

:angry:

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #168 on: February 21, 2012, 01:41:32 pm »
I was actually wondering about this project a few days ago and almost bumped the thread. Good luck!

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #169 on: February 21, 2012, 05:18:35 pm »
Lot coverage can go from simple foundation measurement to eaves measurement and deck measurements.   I varies wherever you go but an Arch should know what the definition is in the area they are planning in.

Bad Arch Bad

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #170 on: February 22, 2012, 11:07:31 am »
I was actually wondering about this project a few days ago and almost bumped the thread. Good luck!

Thanks!  I'm going to need it... the way things are shaping up it looks like we could be starting construction as my wife pops out kid #3.  She's due May 16 and if we get approved on March 12 the architect said it's about 2 months from then until we break ground.  Holy crap.

Lot coverage can go from simple foundation measurement to eaves measurement and deck measurements.   I varies wherever you go but an Arch should know what the definition is in the area they are planning in.

Bad Arch Bad

I'm still pretty upset about the error.  We are paying a premium for an architect in town - they were more expensive than the others we spoke with but we were told through our research that they are the best and have so many relationships with the town and local contractors that getting a variance would be much easier.  Now that doesn't seem to be the case. 

However, I am very happy with the design they came up with and I never would have thought of it in a million years so there's definite value but still.  I was thinking "rectangle on the back of the house" and they came up with something much more creative and rearranged existing interior walls to make the entire thing feel like it was designed for the house initially rather than tacked on 100 years later!  It's going to be awesome when it is finished and it will completely change the way we use our entire house.  I'm excited but I'm ready for it to be finished.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #171 on: February 22, 2012, 08:20:14 pm »
Measuring coverage based on the roof is complete BS. Unless you have some massive 3-4 foot eave that is going to hang over your side property lines, I think the city is giving you the shake down. If your city wants to play that game with you then you should play it back. Simply have the arcitech reduce your eave overhang by 2-3 inches. That should shave off that 0.3 so you're back under 22. What the city is trying to do is justify a future fee or cost by saying they did you a favor in approving this "over the 22% maximum". 0.3% isn't really anything to be concerned about and most would just round off to the nearest %. They are singling you out.  Another option is to just miter the corners of the roof line to see if you can reduce it 0.3% Working with city government is more about playing their game than it is playing by the rules. Good luck!

EDIT: Another option is to remove the 2" of shingles around your house and get the clearance. In 6 months simply replace this last row of shingles. Fairly easy to do and you'd only get busted if one of your neighbors calls an inspector to your house to measure. Pretty much anyone looking at the property is not going to know it's 22.3% just by looking at it. How would the inspectors even know otherwise unless someone knows your situation and snitches on you.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 08:25:49 pm by DNA Dan »

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #172 on: March 13, 2012, 12:41:54 am »
Well Bro how did it go? Did you stick it to the man?

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #173 on: March 17, 2012, 07:02:54 pm »
Bueller?. . . . . . . . Bueller?. . . . . . . . . . :bump

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #174 on: May 13, 2012, 12:38:47 am »
 :dunno

javeryh

• Offline Offline
Gameroom/Theater/Bar - Trying Again
« Reply #175 on: August 11, 2012, 05:39:52 pm »
We got the variance.  We are meeting with contractors this week.  Construction will start in late October if everything goes the way we think it will go.  Man, this year has been crazy - new baby so absolutely no free time...

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:43:03 am
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #176 on: August 12, 2012, 12:17:07 pm »
Congratulations! I hate how long some of these things take.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #177 on: August 13, 2012, 01:04:50 pm »
Sweet~! You'll be playing some defender and cursing, swearing, adding more stress to your life soon.  :cheers:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #178 on: August 13, 2012, 02:02:35 pm »
Sweet~! You'll be playing some defender and cursing, swearing, adding more stress to your life soon.  :cheers:

I sure hope so although I fear that my actual game room still is a ways off.  If all goes well we are thinking that construction will be done by next April or so and then we will have to buy furniture for a new TV room and a new bedroom.  Then I can start working on the basement.  I'm probably looking at late 2013 if we have any money left over (doubtful).   :hissy:

Congratulations! I hate how long some of these things take.

Me too... although it is mostly our fault due to the new baby and not being able to focus on this for the last 6 months.  We are back on track though - we have meetings set up with 6 contractors this week (Tuesday night, Wednesday morning, Wednesday night, Thursday morning, Thursday night and Friday morning).  It's nuts.  Once we meet with them (done on August 17) we pick 4 to give bid packages to (on Monday August 20).  Then they have 3 weeks to get us their bids (by Friday September 7) and then we select the bid we like the best (September 14 will give us a week to review everything).  Then it is 4-6 weeks to get permits before construction can begin (so somewhere between mid to end of October).  This is best case-scenario assuming they can start right away (which will be something we ask about in the interviewing process this week).  Then we are thinking 4-6 months for them to finish the entire project.... so April.  Ugh.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #179 on: August 17, 2012, 01:54:45 pm »
So we narrowed the list of contractors down to 4 who will bid on the job.  They can all start construction in late October so that is our time frame.  Bid packages go out Monday and they have 3 weeks to respond.  Then we will take a week or so to decide, then 4-6 weeks for permits and we are a go.  I'm super-nervous about the cost because I'm not sure our architect listens when we say we don't have unlimited funds.  Anyway, I've been playing (dreaming) with the layout in the future basement.  Any thoughts?  I think I like the first layout a little better but I also don't think the bar needs to be that big.  Maybe a small kitchenette somewhere with a sink, mini-fridge and a microwave will work better?

UncleArgyle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2019, 12:45:36 pm
Re: Gameroom/Theater/Bar - [Layout Pics - Need Comments!]
« Reply #180 on: August 17, 2012, 03:05:53 pm »
I like the first layout, especially if you are going to watch any sports. That will allow people to mill around the bar area and keep any eye on the game.

Looks great! Keep us posted.

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #181 on: August 17, 2012, 07:11:55 pm »
That's too much bar, imo. It's not like you're gonna hire a professional bar tender to serve at your parties. Put the bar against the wall and open up that room for a ping pong table, I say.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #182 on: August 18, 2012, 10:20:00 pm »
I agree with shmokes. Are you hosting 20+ people at a time down there? The bar area is just too much wasted space. I like the layout of the second one better. It seems to flow nice. However I can see having the screen viewable from the bar. Especially with only 4 nice chairs in there, you'll probably have friends kicking at the bar watching too.

The one thing I really don't care for is the laundry in the arcade area. I see this is a great spot for them, but I would seriously consider making a laundry room, then push the arcade towards the bar area. You might be able to have some folding doors there or something, otherwise it will feel like you're playing at a laundrymat.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #183 on: August 18, 2012, 11:03:35 pm »
My life is so boring I have to live vicariously through you! Try this on for some ideas. The laundry gets its own "area" which includes storage for all the soaps and junk associated with it. You can put cabinets overhead and still have room for more storage. This could even be closed off with a door. Your party guests would just hang a left at the bottom of the stair landing and be hit with a minibar and room for 6 or so arcade machines. Since the room is long, I think it works better to have your stairs enter in towards the room. Just some more ideas for you. (God I wish I was in your shoes.) ::) ::)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #184 on: August 19, 2012, 05:25:52 am »
My life is so boring I have to live vicariously through you! Try this on for some ideas. The laundry gets its own "area" which includes storage for all the soaps and junk associated with it. You can put cabinets overhead and still have room for more storage. This could even be closed off with a door. Your party guests would just hang a left at the bottom of the stair landing and be hit with a minibar and room for 6 or so arcade machines. Since the room is long, I think it works better to have your stairs enter in towards the room. Just some more ideas for you. (God I wish I was in your shoes.) ::) ::)

Ok I'll throw my 50 cents worth of advice in there. 

You are going to have to decide if you want a bar, a home theatre, an arcade or a laundry room.  There isn't enough room in that space for all four, you could probably get away with three, but just two would be better. 

DNA has the right idea, hide the washer and dryer cause those things are ugly.  Put a mini bar where the washer and dryer were.  Imho that's all you need.  I would then expand the theatre section out to where your other bar was and make one big room.  Why?  Because without walls you have a lot more space.  You can line the back with cabs, some tables, whatever.  Walling off such a large space into so many tiny compartments means you are stuck with that floor plan until you decide to remodel again.  With a more multi-purpose common area you can play around a bit more as the years go by.  For example, your current layout couldn't accomidate pinball machines if you decide to get some later, but if that whole top area was one giant room instead of two, you could line the back with em and still have room to spare.    You can do it the opposite way as well, ditch the bar and make a huge common area with the theatre as-is. 

The only reason I mention all this is you put "gameroom" first in your description and yet in your layout they look crammed in there as an afterthought.  Of all the things down there, games are going to need the most dedicated space.  Remember, you have to take the depth of a game and double it in your layout, so somebody will actually have enough room to stand in front of it and play it.  ;)

Also something that might save you some space is to reduce the size of that media closet.  If those cabs are to scale it's something like 4 1/2 feet?  That's crazy.  You need two feet max.  You don't have to walk inside afterall, you merely have to be able to reach inside.  I can't think of any home networking or home theatre equipment that is more than about a foot and a half by a foot. 

I'm also wondering why you feel the need to hide the electrical box.  The ac and heat sure, that makes sense, but if the box is flush mounted, hang a poster in front of it and you are done.  Again, getting rid of some of those walled off areas just gives you more options.

Right now the room looks like it's trying to be four things at once, which I guess it is.  You need to pick a theme and stick with it.  Personally, I'd go with a home cinema..... a lobby with a small concession stand (or bar if you must) and arcade machines when you enter and a theatre in the back, but that's just me. 

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #185 on: August 19, 2012, 11:42:57 pm »
I think the Theater screen looks too small.    Ive messed around a little.. and made a Retractable ceiling mount screen.   If this isnt possible (expense) ... a pivoting flip-down wall version could also be made.

This allows games to be put behind the screen when movies are playing... and when retracted, you get that space back, and space to be able to stand at the games.   It also give you a much larger projection screen.

You could make stadium style seating, for more than 4 people.  Under the seating, you could have the platform house the subwoofers and bass shaker transducers.   The entire arcade and speakers could also be on a 10" or so tall platform, allowing placement of center channel speakers in the front face of the platform.

The bar could exist where the laundry was, and the closet could be the bartender entrance.

The red lines are a mass loaded curtain (track) that retracts when not needed for movies.

Pink circles are ceiling rear channel speakers.   You may also want to install some speakers above the bar, and other areas, for widespread general music playing.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #186 on: August 20, 2012, 05:05:56 pm »
Wow - you guys are the best.  Thanks for the suggestions!!  I agree that I'm trying to do too much with the room... I think I needed someone to say something.  Although I like the first layout best, the bar area is too big.  I probably only need a counter up against a wall somewhere with a small sink and fridge/microwave underneath.  Just enough to keep some drinks cold and some snack storage.

I love the idea of moving the laundry area BUT I don't think that's practical.  I know this thread is large but the area in my layout with the arcade cabinets, bar and theater is the only "usable" space.  The ceilings will be 8' - everywhere else will be approximately 6' which means I have to duck to fit in there (I'm 6' tall).  The new room (theater and bar) will be dug out to 8' - the arcade area is going to be jack-hammered out of my existing basement down about 3' so it will be even with the new room.  So the effect is that when you open the doors to the washer/dryer they will be sitting on a raised platform.  All of the other utilities (HVAC, water heater, etc.) will be on the raised platform.  The oil tank is being removed.  The media closet, while large, is also on the raised platform so there's not much I can do about its size.  I also need to account for a sump pump in the top left or right corner, unfortunately.

This room will be primarily used for hanging out - playing video games, drinking beer and watching sports with friends.  I also think I'll be watching a lot of movies but that will be a secondary function which is why I'm not opting for a dedicated theater.  Movies will also be more of a family event rather than something we would invite people over to do.

I need to play with the sketch-up some more...

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #187 on: August 20, 2012, 10:14:13 pm »
If the oil tank is coming out, why can't you take that whole bottom area to the outer foundation? Am I missing something here? That's a lot of wasted space in the floorplan. While the single theater/arcade room makes the best use of space, you have to decide if your parties are "all one activity" or not. Would hate to be watching Sophie's Choice when someone hits a new high score on Tempest. You have to decide just how much privacy you like when you watch movies. I know some people who need silence on the silent parts, that sort of thing.

In the split landing scenario I provided, it allows for you to lower the arcade floor, but keep the laundry area where it is. My whole point with the laundry is you want it as accessible as possible. It's bad enough you have to walk down there with your clothes. Speaking of which, you should consider a laundry chute that you can drop clothes in and have them dump down there. Will save you half the trips and make the wife happier.

EDIT: I see what you're saying about the height. Still seems like you could dig down closer to the perimeter foundation and still gain a lot more space.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 10:17:47 pm by DNA Dan »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #188 on: August 21, 2012, 06:08:57 am »
Yeah I'm not getting that either. 

The reason you aren't digging the whole thing out.... is that an expense issue or something?  Because if it were me I'd rather have a totally unfinished basement with 8 foot ceilings than a one with a strange layout that makes half of the space virtually un-useable.  I get that the crawl space and the little box (I guess for a sump?) in the corner have to  stay... utilities and all that, but I don't see why the area that the oil tank, and the ac/heat/media closet area couldn't be dug out.  If you are worried about the ac/heat you could leave those two things on the existing floor and dig around... it wouldn't hurt a bit to have those on platforms as the space is unusable for anything else anyway.

I apologize if I sound pushy.  It's really hard to understand the troubles of remodeling a space unless you are actually in the space to look at it.

But I've gotta ask... if your basement is so damp that you need a sump pump is it really the best place to store arcade cabs?  Or anything for that matter?  Ever thought of an above-ground addition?  ;)

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #189 on: August 21, 2012, 09:20:37 am »
If we try and lower the entire basement up to the existing foundation it will be prohibitively expensive.  The entire structure would need to be underpinned which is a huge undertaking.  If you come in far enough from the walls you can dig down without worrying about the existing house caving in.  Honestly, I don't mind leaving the slab at that height since that space will be used for utilities and storage - especially given the cost (we need the storage - this is the only place in the house for it).

Above the "new" basement area will be a 2 story addition - family room on the first floor and a master bedroom and bathroom on the second floor.  We are not allowed to go even one square inch larger with the design because of the town building code and coverage rules.  I'm on 0.14 acres so it's not a lot of space to work with. 

I just need to figure out how to make the space the most usable.  I don't think I'll ever be trying to watch a movie or something while people are playing video games (if people come over to specifically watch a movie I imagine that's what everyone will be doing) and if we are watching football with a bunch of friends I won't care about the background noise from the other activities.  I could be wrong but that's what I'm thinking.  I should post some pictures of what it looks like now so you guys can get an idea of what I'm working with.

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #190 on: August 23, 2012, 02:47:17 am »
The open floor plan is a good idea. You could put in retractable dividers or pull shades, if necessary.
-Banned-

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #191 on: September 06, 2012, 03:01:34 pm »
The open floor plan is a good idea. You could put in retractable dividers or pull shades, if necessary.

That is an idea... hmmm.... I wonder how I'd implement it though.  Any dividers would have to be completely hidden and look good while they were in use.  So many decisions...

Anyway, the 3 weeks are almost up and we are expecting bids to start coming in tomorrow or Monday.  I'm so freaking nervous.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #192 on: September 10, 2012, 01:07:00 am »
You know in the end it's impossible to account for EVERY possible scenario. My wife and I built our own house. We covered a lot of bases and love the final product greatly. However, there are still things I would have done differently. I don't know if this is just perception on how you think the space will work on paper vs. the real deal, or if desires/tastes change and the space no longer suits you the same. It's very strange. Bottom line is it's a moving target really. If you can capture 80% or more of what you orignially set out to do and stay in budget, you're golden. The real key is staying within budget. No one wants a half finished room, or a theater with folding chairs in it. Know the costs for the finishes you are shooting for and account for all those things before you take on more than you can afford. I think with the amount of planning and discussion in this thread, you'll be fine.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #193 on: September 10, 2012, 05:23:39 pm »
You know in the end it's impossible to account for EVERY possible scenario. My wife and I built our own house. We covered a lot of bases and love the final product greatly. However, there are still things I would have done differently. I don't know if this is just perception on how you think the space will work on paper vs. the real deal, or if desires/tastes change and the space no longer suits you the same. It's very strange. Bottom line is it's a moving target really. If you can capture 80% or more of what you orignially set out to do and stay in budget, you're golden. The real key is staying within budget. No one wants a half finished room, or a theater with folding chairs in it. Know the costs for the finishes you are shooting for and account for all those things before you take on more than you can afford. I think with the amount of planning and discussion in this thread, you'll be fine.

I think you are exactly right.  I'm not too worried about the finishing budget - I know that will come over the next 20 years.  I just want to get the "bones" of the house in place and get the space we need.  We will be working on finishing the house over the rest of our lives (or at least the next 18 years until the kids are all in college).  Plus, we are able to save money at a pretty good rate (my wife is an animal with the family budget). 

We heard from the architect today and 2 of the 4 bidders requested an extension through Friday (so we offered it to all 4 of them).  So Friday we will be getting the bids and an idea on how much this is all going to cost.

Very cool that you built your own place - you must have a lot of pride in the finished product.   :cheers:

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #194 on: September 10, 2012, 05:57:10 pm »
Very cool that you built your own place - you must have a lot of pride in the finished product.   :cheers:

It's fun but its actually pretty stressful. Oftentimes I felt at odds with the contractor where he would say he understood, but then somehting would turn out differently. So then I had to pin him on details and track every little detail myself. This apparently is something most contractors dislike. They like to have flexibility. Afterall in their line of work there's a lot of things to schedule and manuever. Differences will happen, but you just have to be clear and concise with what you want. It also helps to have it drawn out or written about as a work order. This way you know exactly what you're getting for the $$$$.

Beyond that, I was a little shocked at the prices you have to pay to get into certain levels of finish. Materials just aren't the same as they used to be. I mean I could have done some of these things myself, but by the time you factor in paying more for materials at the retail level, you just don't save that much. It's also a headache for some things "after the fact".  As they build it out, take lots of photos so if you have to do any future work, you know where everything is located in the walls. We never second guessed plumbing or electrical. If we thought we might put something there in the future, we installed a tap for those things in the future. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #195 on: September 10, 2012, 06:15:55 pm »
You know the old expression.  If you want something done right... better do it yourself. 

In my area everybody pretty much does remodeling themselves.  I've got to admit though, the cost of materials anymore makes it hard.  Usually if the cost is about the same I'll go ahead and do it myself though, simply because I know it'll be done right.  I'm a bit of a perfectionist on some things and contractors drive me crazy... they like to cut corners. 

I'm excited for you and an anxious to see how things turn out.... remember, pics or it didn't happen!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #196 on: September 17, 2012, 03:57:54 pm »
Well... let's just say that 3 of the 4 bids are in and the difference between the high bid and the low bid is $150,000.  That is not a typo.  The high bid was the first one we got and we were pretty much hysterical.  I'm still not feeling so great right about now since even the low bid is over my budget.  Hopefully the last bid will come in a little lower.  If not, we are going to have to see what we can scale back in the plans in order to make this happen.  Man, I thought this was going to be fun but the entire process has been awful so far.  The good news (I guess) is that construction can begin in about 4-6 weeks and we are going to be done sometime in March.  It can't happen soon enough.  I just want to get this behind me so I can start thinking about other things...

pinballjim

« Reply #197 on: September 17, 2012, 04:25:40 pm »
Get rid of the theater nobody will use in 2 months.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #198 on: September 17, 2012, 05:10:44 pm »
Well... let's just say that 3 of the 4 bids are in and the difference between the high bid and the low bid is $150,000.  That is not a typo.  The high bid was the first one we got and we were pretty much hysterical.  I'm still not feeling so great right about now since even the low bid is over my budget.  Hopefully the last bid will come in a little lower.  If not, we are going to have to see what we can scale back in the plans in order to make this happen.  Man, I thought this was going to be fun but the entire process has been awful so far.  The good news (I guess) is that construction can begin in about 4-6 weeks and we are going to be done sometime in March.  It can't happen soon enough.  I just want to get this behind me so I can start thinking about other things...

My suggestion:

Obviously the digging out of the dirt and the laying of the new floor is some heavy duty work, you'll need to hire people to do that.  The other "finish" work is easy though... you could do all of that yourself and save some cash.  Any idgit can put up a non-load-bearing wall and skin it with something.  Electrical is also fairly easy assuming you have easy access to the box and in your case the box is on the wall on the other side of the room, so no problems there.

Which is more valuable to you?  Time or Money?  Because with some of your own time invested into the project you can save a lot of money.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #199 on: September 17, 2012, 06:15:08 pm »
Get rid of the theater nobody will use in 2 months.

The bids are for an unfinished basement.  Also, I'm not putting in a traditional "theater" with risers, total darkness, etc.  This will be a place to watch sports, play games, hang out (and watch movies).  The goal is a large projection screen, comfortable seats and some arcade games but it's way down the road.

My suggestion:

Obviously the digging out of the dirt and the laying of the new floor is some heavy duty work, you'll need to hire people to do that.  The other "finish" work is easy though... you could do all of that yourself and save some cash.  Any idgit can put up a non-load-bearing wall and skin it with something.  Electrical is also fairly easy assuming you have easy access to the box and in your case the box is on the wall on the other side of the room, so no problems there.

Which is more valuable to you?  Time or Money?  Because with some of your own time invested into the project you can save a lot of money.

I am going to paint myself and I'm going to install the cabinetry myself - even though I could probably do more I don't really have the time and since this is going to affect my entire house I need the bulk of the project to be completed as fast as possible.  I will be doing everything in the basement myself (with my dad's help) over time but for now we just want to get the unfinished space in the basement and the TV room and master bedroom/bathroom completed.  We will figure it out - it's just not as easy as I was hoping.  Also, I need more money!