Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Basement Theater/Game Room [Finished!]  (Read 56602 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:30:15 pm
Re: Gameroom/Theater [Construction is Finished!]
« Reply #280 on: April 29, 2018, 04:56:31 pm »
Get some side art on that DK stat!

I'm going to place an order - is there a preference between Mike's Arcade and Phoenix Arcade?  I'm leaning towards Phoenix since I think they are closest to OEM...

Wow Jav!! That basement turned out great. Love the theater. I guess one has to choose between arcade or theater, cause to have both would take up an enormous amount of space.
Unless.... (DaOld Man puts on mad scientist hat, the blue and white one with the cool propeller on top)... You created a room with a rotating floor. Arcades in, presto arcade! press button, arcade out seats in, shazzam.. theater.
(Just kidding).
Glad to see it finally finished.
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

What was first movie watched?

Thanks!  It was a loooooong journey but ultimately worth it in the end.  I didn't think I was ever going to get there since I did about 1/2 myself, including building all of the speakers.  Lots of first time stuff for me and I still don't know what I'm doing with the equipment.  Somewhere down the line I want to pay a professional calibrator to come out to the house and set everything up properly.  It came out great though.  We did have to make the choice between arcade/TV set up and the theater and we thought long-term we would get more use out of the theater.  I wish I had space for both though!!

The first movie we watched was Rogue One and it was worth the wait.  The sound was my favorite part of the experience.  Last night we watched the new Jumanji (in 4K) and the room elevates a good movie to something special.  Every drum beat made the seats shake and when there was a scene in the jungle or something happening overhead the room filled with sound due to the Atmos speakers in the ceiling.  It's really cool.  Even my wife geeks out over it and she is the last person to be impressed by this stuff - she will watch TV in 480i and when I switch it over to HD she says it makes no difference to her  :'(

I'm hoping to get back into the arcade building this year.  My son's birthday is coming up and he's been asking for a cabinet for his room so we shall see plus I've got a few other ideas I want to work on.  The problem is we are out of space!   :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 04:58:29 pm by javeryh »

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #281 on: April 29, 2018, 08:55:55 pm »
While you were out, there was a bit of a movement for pedestals. Perhaps there is a way to rig it up to your home theater and make it fit into the space, or hide away.

I have a 144" screen that I've used to hook up and play some classic SNES/NES titles. It's a blast.

dkersten

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #282 on: April 30, 2018, 10:10:37 am »
Good luck with your build - you should start a thread (if you haven't already) and post some pics.   :cheers:
Thanks!  Build thread on AVS is HERE

Just got done with a marathon week, 9 days in a row of nothing but grinding out the ceiling.  80% done, should be able to finish the ceiling completely by end of next weekend.  Still have one more "pod" to do - the one around the projector that will also house the hush box and air circulation system for the projector, as well as finishing up the filler pieces in the beams.  I'm exhausted from my week off of work, I need a vacation, lol.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:30:15 pm
« Reply #283 on: May 24, 2018, 10:29:29 am »
While you were out, there was a bit of a movement for pedestals. Perhaps there is a way to rig it up to your home theater and make it fit into the space, or hide away.

I have a 144" screen that I've used to hook up and play some classic SNES/NES titles. It's a blast.

I wish!  Unfortunately I used up almost all of the storage in my house to build this theater (worth it!).  That means I don't have room for stuff like this.  In fact, I've been on an eBay tear lately trying to get rid of everything I own that was just taking up space.  Gotta fund the next arcade project!