Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: E-limitator  (Read 6445 times)

Pingaloka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 01:35:34 pm
E-limitator
« on: September 03, 2010, 08:10:34 pm »
Hi! I'm new around here. Just wanted to share my opinion with you guys, as all I see are positive reviews!

Kind of dissapointed with this product. For the people that don't know the product, just tell you, is a piece of hardware that sitches 8 way joysticks into 4 way and 2 way, horizontal and vertical, so games like Pacman are pplayed well with an 8 way joystick, without the hustle of having to change anything under the pcd, or joystick.

About the product: Assembling is not difficult, and is very well explained.
The problem comes with real playing. I have JLW-UM-8 (Sanwa) Joystick and I-Pac.
My experience with E-Limitator is that it works with the 2 way joystick choice, vertical and horizontal, but it fails completely with the 4 way joystick option.
Games like Donkey Kong get stuck when trying to go up a ladder, etc.
It's a shame as I had faith in this product, and now is in my cab for no use at all!
I have the Joistick cables into "Joystick input" and from "Joystick output" it goes to the I-pac.
Everything is perfectly set up I think...a pity.

:oj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2014, 04:56:47 am
  • Jim Knopf
    • Arcadeshop.de
Re: E-limitator
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 10:55:33 am »
Hi Sergio,

wow, you ordered on the 30th August, I shipped on the 31th August, seems that I'm processing orders uberfast  ;D But let me point out that you've never talked to me about this issue, but you preferred to enter several messages boards and start to make trouble without any attempt to get in contact with me before.

We gave away more than 20 copys of the E-Li to different tester, due to this test runs we found some bugs and terminated them. But a problem like you are describing doesn't exist. Of course - and that's not a secret - your E-Li could work faultily though. The reason may be a defective chip or a wrong assembly. If you like to know what exactly went wrong, please post some pictures of the front and the back of your E-Li here or send them by e-mail to me.
Arcadeshop.de - home of E-Limitator & Dual Strike

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 12:15:48 pm »
I found it odd that someone would say, "Hi, I'm new here. Allow me to trash this product."

I took his review with a grain of salt.

Pingaloka

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 01:11:42 pm »
Hello people, sorry if it sounded like I'm trying to make trouble. But is not the case. The reason why I entered several boards, 2 of them in total, counting this one. Was actually to see if someone had any issues like mine, so I could get some advice.
As a client, and consumer, I'm making a review of my opinion of the product. Not as a professional, not as an expert, but as a mear client.
I do not have any complains about "arcadesh**.de" As all products I bought there where in perfect state. Always been treated professionally and the products have been fastly shipped.

I'm new in this forum, but not entirely, as I already posted in here my arcade machine project.
I'm not trying to put down a product, why should I? I'm not a competitor, nor I have hidden interests.

I'm sure you people made this product with your best effort, and I'm sure many are people happy are satisfied with the product.
I wrote a negative impression of a product, product which I paid for, which I'm not happy with, and for which I will get no refund money, obviously. But I repeat, I don't have the intention of making bad publicity for you, or trying to get your product down.

I'm happy that there are people like you, which investigate, get new products around, and make the "Arcade World" live again.
There is a possibility of me assembling badly the components, off course, maybe I burned a circuit and thats why
the product is not working 100 %? It could be, actually I'm not a very good solder I must admit.

PD: :oj, If you are still interested I can send you via email pictures of what I did, so you could give some advice.

greetings,

Pingaloka
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 01:20:09 pm by Pingaloka »

:oj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2014, 04:56:47 am
  • Jim Knopf
    • Arcadeshop.de
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 01:27:10 pm »
Thanks for the clarification  :cheers:

Of course I am interested to solve any problem and - hopefully - to improve this product. Please send me whatever you can as detailed as possible. If we cannot find a solution you'll get a replacment E-Li or refund, it's your choice.
Arcadeshop.de - home of E-Limitator & Dual Strike

Pingaloka

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 06:18:49 pm »
Since my negative review I'ved been in touch with "Arcade****.de" staff, and received help and advice from them.
While being kind of disappointed with e-limit at first, after receiving some tips from developer, gameplay effectivity has increased enourmosly.
I'm quite satisfied with elimit, although I will like to test it for a longer time, because it does have a functioning method, and gameplay does not behave exactly, as if you would play with a 4 way joystick.

PD: My thought to :OJ, maybe including the information I received from developer in your document instructions pdf, as it may save some trouble in the future. Guessing that if I had this information it would helped quite a lot.
Any how I will paste here a copy of email with developer's instructions:

> > Hey,
> >
> > > I have tried what you said, but still sometimes gets stuck when trying
> to
> > > go up the latter.
> >
> > Donkey stocks here only with this behaviour
> >
> > - Move left to ladder
> > - Press up_left -> Ladder is climbed. This is then the optimization.
> Normally getting up the ladder is awful.
> > - Press up
> >
> > But then take care:
> >
> > - If you now press upleft, then  E-Limitator thinks you want to go left.
> Left on ladder results in stucking.
> >
> > Have in mind that E-Limitator filters the last pressed direction.
> >
> > > I'ved check Pac-Man, and it also gets stuck on the corners many times,
> > > making the game experience falty.
> >
> > Try again move left to wall, then go up with leftup (left is filtered,
> up is activated)
> >
> > Bye,
> >
> > JOchen

Thanks again to "arcade***.de" staff, greetings,

Pingaloka

« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 06:21:45 pm by Pingaloka »

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 10:22:01 am »
gameplay does not behave exactly, as if you would play with a 4 way joystick.

This is no amount of voodoo witchcraft gadgetry that can beat a physically restricted 4-way stick.

releasedtruth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2018, 12:06:49 am
  • Projected Nexus
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 03:49:48 pm »
Physically limiting a joy isn't an option for everyone so I've been curious about how effective the e-limitator is. Definitely an interesting concept, and for those that are pretty respectable with keeping away from diagonals, could make the difference. I may have to try it out sometime.