Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Gamesomnia - inspired by Knievel's Woody Cab  (Read 25812 times)

ragnar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 10:40:56 am
Gamesomnia - inspired by Knievel's Woody Cab
« on: September 02, 2010, 07:36:07 pm »
After much help from forum members, things are under way.  Everything is ordered and I have most of the parts.  This is inspired by Knievel's Woody.  Proof that a wood grain styled cab can look good.  This cab is thinner profile.  Not as thin as Knievel's Woody but still thin in my opinion.  Back to front without the CP attached it will be 23.5 inches.  With the CP installed I am estimating that it will be 27.5 inches deep.  The following image is of the current state of progress (September 26, 2010).

The current working title is Gamesomnia which is a play on Insomnia.  I figure there will be more than one night where I realize it is now 3 am so it is fitting.  I went through alot of names when someone mentioned Gamesomniac in the "[url http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=105475.0]Having a heck of a time naming my arcade cabinet[/url] " thread.  Thanks to forum member, Rick Elphinstone, for the idea!  This is the working name.

So, I'll do several posts, starting with the sketches.  I actually did things via a notebook.  There is something about pen and paper.  It is easy to deal with.  And in the end, decisions were still being made as I prepped my wood template with everything.  For example, the curves could only be done via a template because there is no grasp of what something full size will look like till you have it done.  The big change was the marquee.  It is much shallower than in the sketch because I had fears that it might partially obscure the monitor when in use by those 6 foot tall.  That is something very important to think about that did not dawn on me till I was doing the template.  Upon request, I can scale down the sketch images in a later post.

The purpose of the control panel sketch is simply see how big it will be and to plan out the box to an extent.  The final shape will be determined via template.  It is not going to be too fancy.

NOTE: Started construction on about August 28.
EDIT: I'll try to keep an up to date picture in the first post.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 08:28:22 pm by ragnar »
MY FIRST BUILD:

releasedtruth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2018, 12:06:49 am
  • Projected Nexus
Re: Gamesomnia - inspired by Knievel's Woody Cab
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 07:40:56 pm »
I love paper and pencil. Feels so much more mad scientist than a computer. We use napkins at work because it seems the best ideas are scribbled on them. Slim is definitely in. Good luck!

ragnar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 07:58:45 pm »
For now, two images of the sides that are cut out.  They are stained with cleats installed.  The cleats are screwed and glued.  I bought some 2x2s and 2" screws.  Worked out perfectly when attached into the 3/4" plywood (RED OAK).

The stain is called Sadona Red.  I wanted it to be a bit darker, but it did not work out that way.  On the cleat side, the stain at the bottom is for the area where the front door will be located.  That is also going to be some stained Red Oak plywood.  The top portion where the LCD is going is going to be painted a flat black.

I have the first coat of Polyurethane on.  I went with the wipe on stuff and wow, that stuff is easy to work with.  These pictures are without the Polyurethane on.
MY FIRST BUILD:

ragnar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 08:09:33 pm »
releasedtruth,

Thanks.  So far, this has been alot of fun.

Onto the fans.  I had some spare time today so I wired the exhaust fans up.  There are two 140 mm fans ($16 shipped) that are ultraquiet.  They make almost no noise.  The transformer is from Wal-Mart online.  it is a 120 volt AC to 12 volt DC converter.  That was about $15 shipped also.  Maybe $20 shipped.  I forget.  It is rated at 60 watts.

For the transformer, I simply cut the end off (a 12 volt cigarette lighter style attachment).

The fans had 3 wires connected to them which surprised me.  Luckily, between the two attachments there were only two wires so it was easy to figure out what wires were needed.  Also, the fans have some smarts (probably a diode or two).  The fan only operates in one direction so I had to make sure that I connected them to the 12 volt supply properly.

Got everything connected up and working.  There is a 6 foot long speaker wire connecting the two fans since fan placement is still TBD.  I am thinking one at the bottom of the cab near the PC and another near the monitor.
MY FIRST BUILD:

andrewbean90

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2012, 05:55:56 am
  • do you like it?
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 01:25:48 am »
I just bought an ac to dc molex connector did i not need to do this

ragnar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 10:42:17 am »
I just bought an ac to dc molex connector did i not need to do this

If you had an old 120 Vac to 12 Vdc converter laying around, you did not need to ac to dc molex adapter that you bought.  Don't worry to much though.  If you needed a converter, mine cost $15.  I took a look on the internet and I'd guess that you also paid $15.  The only advantage I get is that I can space two fans far apart with the speaker wire that I used.
MY FIRST BUILD:

Rick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 11:05:54 am »
Thanks to forum member, Rick Elphinstone, for the idea!  This is the working name.

Woot!  I've been named as influential!  Thanks for the thanks, Ragnar.  You rock.  (Hmm... Ragnarok...  Just a thought.)

;D

Will be watching your build... ...as I do with most!

Stobe

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2024, 05:08:05 pm
  • Don't make a fuss, I'll have your Spam!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 11:15:30 am »
Lookin good!  I had a Food Fight cabinet that had "lumpy" sides like that.  Makes it unique.

I want to know where you're going to get the "Price is Right Microphone" joystick as pictured in your first sketch.  :D

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 11:20:07 am »
I want to know where you're going to get the "Price is Right Microphone" joystick as pictured in your first sketch.  :D

Your comment wouldn't be complete without...

andrewbean90

• Offline Offline
  • do you like it?
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 05:27:21 pm »
it was 10 bucks im gonna use it to light leds

ragnar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 12:28:19 am »
it was 10 bucks I'm gonna use it to light leds

You spent less than I did :-)

So, I just spent 3 hours reinstalling Windows XP.  The "product activation" was busted in the previous install.  All fixed now.

u360s came in the mail.  4 days from the UK.... impressive.

The 3rd coat of polyurethane went on this morning.  I hope to start assembly of the cab on Saturday or Sunday.  My goal is to get the sides up, the shelves in and the back piece of wood put in place.  Then i start the control panel construction.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 12:32:22 am by ragnar »
MY FIRST BUILD:

andrewbean90

• Offline Offline
  • do you like it?
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 01:29:25 am »
You spent less than I did :-)

So, I just spent 3 hours reinstalling Windows XP.  The "product activation" was busted in the previous install.  All fixed now.

u360s came in the mail.  4 days from the UK.... impressive.

The 3rd coat of polyurethane went on this morning.  I hope to start assembly of the cab on Saturday or Sunday.  My goal is to get the sides up, the shelves in and the back piece of wood put in place.  Then i start the control panel construction.
(Quote fixed by moderator)

ya i bought it on ebay this guys got free shipping and allows money orders
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 05:27:02 am by JustMichael »

ragnar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 09:15:02 pm »
More progress today.  Got some of the shelves installed.  Installed the back.  Made two holes for cooling fans and one air intake area.

The shelves are obvious.  The base was the first to go on.  I used a T square to make sure everything was square.  Because once this thing goes on, everything else falls in place around it.

There is a small shelf near the monitor area.  It's honestly more for stability creation than anything else.  But I took that shelf location as an opportunity to create two 3/4" slits that will allow air to easily enter the cabinet.  There is closeup of these slits in the picture group below.  And a small shelf above the monitor for the computer speakers.

And there is one of two top pieces installed.  That piece has one of the two holes made for the exhaust fans.  The other fan will be located at the rear bottom and the hole has been made for that one also.

I'd also like to say again.  That wipe on polyurethane is awesome.  3 coats and it doesn't get much better than the finish than I got.

I hope to get some more pieces cut tomorrow.  And hopefully the staining will begin.  I have about 6 pieces that need to get cut and stained that are 3-6" wide.  And the door of course.  With a little luck, I will also start the CP tomorrow.
MY FIRST BUILD:

andrewbean90

• Offline Offline
  • do you like it?
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 12:07:06 am »
good to see progress

ragnar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 09:56:10 pm »
Today I got the admin panel done.  Not alot of work, but it still took 30 minutes to figure out how to set up the table saw to get the proper angles and size.  In the end, it came out perfect.  Measure twice, Cut once.  I had to get this done prior to starting the CP in order to determine the exact height of the CP.

The next thing was the CP box.  I made it with a 5 degree slant for the top piece.  That turns out to be a 1" drop over 12".  From reading, that seems to be a more than acceptable slant.  I wish I did a 2-3 degree slant though.  Just a big stupid mistake on my part as I was shooting for a 0.5" drop over 12".  I simply did not do the math and guessed at 5 degrees when making the cut.

So, once that was done and fitting the cabinet snugly and with proper height, I went onto the CP top.  I went with a simple box shape with rounded corners.  The rectangular shape was chosen because rectangles are easy to do on table saws.  I used a spray can and paint can to sketch the rounded edges on the CP top template.  I then rough cut the corners of the template then used a table sander to get a nice rounded corner.  Sure beats free handing with a jig saw ;).  I then smoothed it out a bit by hand so that the rounded corners matched the curves from the spray can and paint can perfectly.  Truth is, the table sander got me 99% of the way there.  Very little touch up was actually needed.  I then used the template with the router and got the wood and acrylic shaped.

Also had some friends and family over and the are psyched for this cabinet.  We were 30-40 years old so we all had memories of arcades.  They even want to start a game list.  I and they can not wait to see it up and running.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 09:58:53 pm by ragnar »
MY FIRST BUILD:

ragnar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 11:02:53 am »
Today I managed to get the monitor bezel built.

Two pictures.  The first being the creation of the template.  I needed a way to get nice and straight lines.  After considering a router table and jigsaw with guide, it dawned on me that I cut just use the table saw.  Just taking ones time is the key to doing it this way.  Cut all the way to the edge leaving a small piece of wood to keep th inner and outer pieces attached.  then when all 4 sides are cut, use a jigsaw to finish cutting out the middle.

Then it was a matter of using a router to create a 30 degree slant on the hole opening.  With the template, this was a snap!

Total time, about 1.5 hours.  Not bad.  The bezel is not yet attached but it is pretty much done.  Just needs some black paint.

Also, I applied the first coat of black paint to the cabinet.  So far, I like it.  It is an off black color with a hint of blue.  Flat paint of course.
MY FIRST BUILD:

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 01:30:40 pm »
looking good.  i really like the shape of your cabinet, very unique
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

ragnar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 09:49:14 pm »
looking good.  i really like the shape of your cabinet, very unique

Well, thank you very much.

Whenever I do a project like this, I try to do something just a little different from what others have done.  In person, I have to say that the actually shaping is well proportioned.  I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

The size itself is not much off of Knievel's Woody dimensions.  As an overly simple explanation, it is about 4" deeper (101 mm) than Knievel's Woody.
MY FIRST BUILD:

ragnar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 11:53:58 pm »
So, I did some more work last night.  I'll try a new post method and do a talk for each picture that is attached.

-- 1 --
The easy part last night was sanding down one of the top pieces for the cabinet. It had a 30 degree angle in it so I had to do a sort of biscuit style attaching of two plywood pieces.  The glue was all dried so I sanded everything smooth.  This assembly will attach to the bottom of the marquee with the small section being the part that holds the marquee in place.  The small piece will be parallel with the ground and the larger piece will then slant upwards towards the top back corner of the cabinet.  The area that is created will provide room for a cavity that will house the speakers behind a speaker grill.  To get a better idea see the sketch of the cabinet in the original drawing.

-- 2 --
This picture shows the door and the holes that had to be drilled for the hinges.  I first did a test in a small scrap piece, also pictured, in order to determine how far away from the edge to drill the hole and to determine how deep the hole had to be.  I ended up making the hole about 1/8" from the door edge while the instructions said 1/4".  the hole I made is slightly oversize so I could move the assembly around if needed to closer mimic the location stated by the hinge directions.

-- 3 --
I did a test with the button centers 1-3/8" away from eachother to determine if that was acceptable.  The result was that 1-3/8" is the minimum.  Those buttons are Happ buttons by the way.  Any closer and they would not fit properly.  Some of my buttons are 1-3/8" apart but not all.  If I made an error drilling, I will just widen the holes slightly but I think it is a non issue.

-- 4 --
The CP button and joystick layouts were laid out and taped down.  In the end, the layout is fairly similar to what I had intended.  The left joystick is 5-1/4" from the left edge.  More than what others do, but I wanted it this way.  In messing around with that joystick placement, I determined that 4-1/2" was the minimum so I was probably going to do that, so I did not feel bad about adding an extra 3/4".

-- 5 --
Using the paper templates, I used a small drill bit (something between 1/8" and 1/4") to carefully "dent" the acrylic with a hand drill wherever a button was to go.  These acted as a pilot hole ("dent) for drilling the 1-1/8" hole for the buttons.

Each joystick center was drilled with the same drill bit (again, something between 1/8" and 1/4") all the way through to mark the joystick center in the acrylic and the wood.  These locations were then used to cut holes for the u360s in the wood and to use the router to create the inset for the u360s to rest in for the surface mount.  When determining the inset depth, I also took into account the fact that a screw head would be on top to hold things in place.

Image 5 is there to show the dents that were formed in the acrylic.

-- 6, 7 --
These two images show the CPl top resting on top of the CP box.  Yes, 9 buttons.  I spent the extra $10 on something that might not be needed.  I used a button/joystick template from slagcoin referred to as the "Sega layout" and added a thumb button to it.  I located the thumb button at approximately a 45 degree angle to the bottom left button and located it 1-1/2" away.
http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/layout.html

I used the alternative joystick center that is the small circle on the left edge of the image.

No one told me how long the CP top would take  :dunno  I think I spent about 4 hours doing the holes/routing in the CP top.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 12:21:37 am by ragnar »
MY FIRST BUILD:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 05:35:40 pm
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 01:34:26 pm »
Nice progress.  I'm curious - are you putting artwork over your CP?  I'm going for a stained look on mine and it is proving to be a very difficult task - everything must be bottom mounted with nothing showing through to the top.  I had to get really creative with the router to mount the trackball.

Also, 4 hours is like a world record pace for me - I spent 3 full days cutting my CP and box out!   :cheers:

ragnar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 02:32:38 pm »
I went with a top mounted joystick so I can't.  But if I could buy some vinyl locally, I could just cover it up and save some serious bucks.  I want to outline that area anyways ....

Knivel finished his top with 1/8" oak I think so there are no holes near the joysticks.  I've also seen people use smaller vinyl cut outs to highlight the joystick/button areas.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 02:34:32 pm by ragnar »
MY FIRST BUILD:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2010, 04:28:25 pm »
I went with a top mounted joystick so I can't.  But if I could buy some vinyl locally, I could just cover it up and save some serious bucks.  I want to outline that area anyways ....

Knivel finished his top with 1/8" oak I think so there are no holes near the joysticks.  I've also seen people use smaller vinyl cut outs to highlight the joystick/button areas.

What joys are you using?  I'm pretty sure mine were meant to be mounted from the top (or from below with hardware showing through).  I improvised!

Also, any ideas how to make the vinyl cutouts perfect?  I can trace the shape I want onto the vinyl but cutting it out is another story...

ragnar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 05:35:47 pm »
I just got back from a fabric store.  I needed black fabric for my grill cover.  While there I took a look at the vinyl and decided that the thickness might cause unwanted problems with the acrylic becoming wobbly on top of an uneven surface (due to the patches of vinyl that would be under it).  Then a the last second it dawned on me.  I needed a half yard of vinyl to cover the entire surface in black vinyl.  That cost me $7.  So, I bought it.  I am going to cover the entire panel in black vinyl without any graphics and see how it looks.  I figure it is worth a $7 experiment.  If it looks good, I might need to get a different piece of acrylic that is thinner due to the thickness of the vinyl to cover it.  But for $7, I am willing to try it out.

I am using u360s.  I needed to make a 1/4" recess into the wood to flush mount them.  1/8" for the top plate and an extra 1/8" to compensate for the screws that will be used.

For cutting the vinyl into pieces, I was planning on taking some scrap luan and making a template.  I'd sandwich the vinyl between the template and a second scrap piece of wood that is larger than the template.  Clamp the assembly together.  Then I'd use a razor blade to trace the template as I cut into the vinyl.  Done slowly, it should work perfectly.  You could even do interesting shapes.
MY FIRST BUILD:

ragnar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2010, 10:58:05 pm »
Tommorrow, I think I will be able to get 90% of things put together.  I expect everything except the monitor bezel and speak grill to be in place.  Pics coming soon!

As for this update.  Today I got my monitor supports screwed into the bezel.  The sides are a bit tighter than I wanted.  I hope changes in humidity don't cause the monitor to crack if the wood shrinks a bit.  Maybe I'll redo the side supports tomorrow.  Just sand 1/32" off of each.  Should be all of 5 minutes to make that change.

Almost done!

Also, check out the marquee discussion here:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=105737.0
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 11:40:04 pm by ragnar »
MY FIRST BUILD:

MikeyMerse

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2011, 03:39:52 pm
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2010, 11:34:30 pm »
I think that control panel will be perfect for the style you chose for the cabinet.  I love the curves on it all.

I can't wait until the day comes where I can finally put everything together into my cab.

ragnar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2010, 07:36:14 pm »
I am playing catch up on progress here.  I might get final assembly done tonight.  It matters how long it will take to wire everything though.  So, several posts ...

This group of 5 pictures shows the trim pieces before installation into the cabinet and some pictures of them installed in the cabinet.  I used a combination of 2x2s and L brackets to get everything in place.  In some pictures, I included yellow arrows to show the new trim pieces.  There is also a piece not highlighted that goes near the kick area.  It is located behind the door on the bottom when the door is shut.
MY FIRST BUILD:

ragnar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2010, 07:42:21 pm »
The first picture here shows how I held the door in place for install with no helpers available.  I used some clamps to make sure the door did not fall forward.  They help the door stay closed but not so that I could not move it around.  I just did not want it to flop forward and get dinged.  Also, I used some 2x4s to hold the door off the ground.  That gives me a good 1.5" of clearance when I open the door.  The rear panel is actually 3 pieces that can be removed based on the area I need to access.  So, I removed the lower panel, climbed inside and screwed the hinges to the side of the cabinet.  Also, I used some scrap luan to shim the door forward a bit.  In hindsight,I I don't know if that was needed.

The second picture is just of the door installed.

The last 2 pictures are some shot of the cab in it's current state.  It's coming together!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 09:19:55 am by ragnar »
MY FIRST BUILD:

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2010, 07:45:25 pm »
Looking good! You're in the home stretch now!

ragnar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2010, 07:53:27 pm »
Pictures of the CP including a picture on how to prep the T molding to go around tight corners.  If you have never done it before, let me tell you, it is very easy to do.  This is my first time and it came out perfect. 
MY FIRST BUILD:

ragnar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2010, 07:54:27 pm »
Looking good! You're in the home stretch now!

I know, this is getting very exciting.  In about half an hour, that cabinet is coming home to get wired up.  Any bets on how long wiring will take?  My bet is 2 hours.  Which means it really will take 4 hours, right?   ;D
MY FIRST BUILD:

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2010, 08:04:13 pm »
Any bets on how long wiring will take?  My bet is 2 hours.  Which means it really will take 4 hours, right?   ;D

Always pull a Scotty.  Estimate how long, and then double or triple your estimate. Then, when you beat the clock, everybody's impressed.

(I'm so jealous by the way. You get to work on yours, and it's SO CLOSE!)

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2010, 08:07:08 pm »
Hmmm.... I like what you did with the overlay.  Also, I noticed you did not mitre the bottom of your CP box?  Is it visible  at all?  I'm going to be recutting mine for the THIRD time because I can't seem to get the joints to line up but now I'm wondering if it is worth it.

mrtuesday42

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2011, 09:12:33 pm
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2010, 01:48:54 am »
is that the previously mentioned vinyl on your cp??? super shiny if it is...or did you cover in acrylic? been looking at vinyl or something inexpensive to cover my sides with...

ragnar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2010, 09:22:45 am »
Any bets on how long wiring will take?  My bet is 2 hours.  Which means it really will take 4 hours, right?   ;D

Always pull a Scotty.  Estimate how long, and then double or triple your estimate. Then, when you beat the clock, everybody's impressed.

(I'm so jealous by the way. You get to work on yours, and it's SO CLOSE!)

Hahahaa, about 4 hours in and 70-80% done.
MY FIRST BUILD:

ragnar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2010, 09:29:04 am »
is that the previously mentioned vinyl on your cp??? super shiny if it is...or did you cover in acrylic? been looking at vinyl or something inexpensive to cover my sides with...

It is vinyl covered with aryllic, so that is why it is shiny.  I spent $7 on some vinyl so it was a big cost cutter.  I needed vinyl to cover the joystick mounting plates of the u360s.

In the end, you can not tell it is vinyl unless you look very closly.  Kind of a bummer because I was hoping that the wrinkly (leather like) texture of the vinyl would show a bit more.

Thinking about it, vinyl could be used to good effect on sides, just remember that it easily scratches.  If you are moving the cabinet and bang it against a wall, the vinyl will show that fact.

MY FIRST BUILD:

ragnar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2010, 09:37:09 am »
Hmmm.... I like what you did with the overlay.  Also, I noticed you did not mitre the bottom of your CP box?  Is it visible  at all?  I'm going to be recutting mine for the THIRD time because I can't seem to get the joints to line up but now I'm wondering if it is worth it.

The bottom of the box is mitred unless I miss your meaning.  I lucked out and had some framing clamps (guessing on proper name of them) to clamp the box together as the glue set.  Afterwards, I added some L brackets as insurance.

As for the miters on the bottom, I lucked out and the front side is almsot perfect.  The back has some small gapping but the glue filled in the gaps pretty good.

Be sure that your miter saw is properly calibrated.  The back fence is adjustable so that you can get things square for all cuts.  Take some scrap wood and cut it on a 45.  Put it on a flat surface and butt the pieces together and grab a square and make sure it is true.  Even if off by just 1 degree, you might end up with some gapping.  If you are staining, this is an issue.  If you are painting it, you can just use some wood filler to smoooth out the corners.

As for the bottom box that I did, once it was all done, I sanded it smooth and sanded the corners down a bit so that it does not have sharp corners.

The other thing is, with larger pieces, cutting on a 45 can be tricky.  You need to be very careful that hte board does not move or flex as you cut.  That can result in uneven cuts.

If you want me to take some close ups of a particular area, let me know and I will do so.

Also, I ahve alot more done but I had no time for taking pictures last night.  Only time for bed.  I was up to 1:30 am.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 09:40:12 am by ragnar »
MY FIRST BUILD:

dfmaverick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2016, 11:17:27 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2010, 12:37:55 pm »
Also, I ahve alot more done but I had no time for taking pictures last night.  Only time for bed.  I was up to 1:30 am.

I thought this was the insomnia project? And you don't stay up all night to take pictures?  ;)

Cab is looking good.

ragnar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2010, 02:51:41 pm »

I thought this was the insomnia project? And you don't stay up all night to take pictures?  ;)

Cab is looking good.

Thanks.  I actually read up on the definition of insomnia.  Trust me, I am there :cheers:

:cheers:And with some luck I will be playing tonight :cheers:

I'm considering another option which I dread the thought of.  Skipping the marquee altogether and putting a piece of oak in its place.
MY FIRST BUILD:

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2010, 03:27:58 pm »
I'm considering another option which I dread the thought of.  Skipping the marquee altogether and putting a piece of oak in its place.

You're going to need a stronger light.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2010, 04:50:18 pm »
Hmmm.... I like what you did with the overlay.  Also, I noticed you did not mitre the bottom of your CP box?  Is it visible  at all?  I'm going to be recutting mine for the THIRD time because I can't seem to get the joints to line up but now I'm wondering if it is worth it.

The bottom of the box is mitred unless I miss your meaning.

It looks like the bottom panel to your CP box is not mitred but maybe I'm not seeing it properly.  Here is a shot of mine upsidedown.  There are no edges showing on the plywood because I mitred the 4 side panels and the bottom panel:

Don't get me started - I didn't sand the thing properly and when I went to stain it it came out terrible so I had to make another one. 

:banghead: