Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: NES PC Project  (Read 6585 times)

BurgerKingDiamond

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2021, 11:12:14 am
NES PC Project
« on: September 01, 2010, 05:32:05 am »
This is a new project that I just finished. It isn't exactly arcade related, but I think that the people on this forum will find it interesting anyway.
I also want to acknowledge that I am not the first person to do this. I have seen numerous other PC NES case mods. I think my turned out really well though, and
that it is worth showing off.

The Hardware:

120 GB hard drive, Toshiba
2 GB RAM, Crucial
Intel Ion motherboard, cpu combo, ZOTAC
DVD Burner, Lite-On
1 Fan, blue LED
2 Cold Cathode Tubes, Blue
Built in WiFi card
ION Graphics card, ZOTAC
picoPSU-150-XT   102W Adapter Power Kit

Total Cost including random odds and ends (cable sleeves, shipping, adapters....)
$650-$700
I could have saved some money, but I messed up a little on my order and had to buy some extra stuff, but whatever.

Basic rundown...

I bought a used NES that was being sold for parts on eBay, because I didn't want to ruin a working one. The original red power LED wasn't working, so I just threw
in a green one that I had. I thought it looked cool so I left it in. I also drilled a hole under the controller ports for the HDD LED. You can see it blinking, but
it's kinda out of sight at the same time, which I like. From the outside it looks pretty much like a regular NES. Just for fun
I also but some cold cathodes (with on/off switch) under the air slots on the top right side of the NES. The blue glow looks really cool in the dark.

Original, unmodified NES controllers work through the controller ports for emulators and games. I installed NES to USB converters which are
hooked up to internal USB headers, and the controller ports from the inside.

I am using a wireless mini keyboard with trackpad that is really awesome called the Rii mini. It is rechargable, and backlit. I would highly recommend it to
anyone who has a home theatre pc. You can get it from Pandawill.com for like $45.

I still haven't configured all the software, but I will be using Hyperspin.

Check the video if you want to see some more. It's a little long. Skip ahead to the end for finished shots.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 05:33:55 am by BurgerKingDiamond »
-Welcome to the Fantasy Zone.

PsychoMikey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2014, 04:21:35 am
Re: NES PC Project
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 06:40:55 am »
Very nice mod, good job on fitting everything in there with the fan on the bottom.

Why don't you run XBMC Live under Ubuntu instead of native Windows?

pro's:
Nice HTPC interface, fast boot times and easy to use with remote/joystick. You can also get emulators on there as well.

BurgerKingDiamond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 06:56:04 am »
@PsychoMikey
Thanks for the compliments. As for XBMC, I don't know what that is. I don't know a lot about computers to be honest. I'm learning though. This is the first one I ever built, and I've never messed with Linux before, although I hear that it has a lot of advantages over Windows. I'll check XBMC out though.

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 07:37:22 am »
Great Mod.  :applaud: :applaud:  I love it when old consoles can be reused and made useful again.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:08:03 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 09:08:17 am »
 :applaud:

Really incredible how well those parts fit in there. Too bad you didn't film the USB->NES ports. Did you use the extra GFX card?

BurgerKingDiamond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 05:21:20 pm »
@emphatic, I got the ribbon cable for the GFX card, but it still doesn't fit, cause the plastic part of the connector is too long. So I ordered another 90 degree angle connector that will go on the card, and then the ribbon cable goes into that. It should work fine, but I'm still waiting for it to come...

Also, since you are interested in the controller mod, here is a quick sketch, it's two pics, cuz I had to zoom in so far with my phone to make it readable.

It may seem like everything I did wasn't needed. In a way it's not. I could have just put the nes part of the converter in the front panel, but you kind of have to force the controller plug into it, whereas on the original port they just slide in. Also, I would have had to do some dremel work to get the usb converter directly into the front panel because the shape is a little bigger. I didn't want to do that because I wasn't sure if I could do it cleanly. So came up with what I did in the sketch and it worked very well.

Rusty Shackelford

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2013, 02:02:09 pm
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 05:20:26 pm »
Seriously cool!  :applaud: This is somthing ive wanted to do for a while but mine wouldnt have come out that well! Im always on the lookout for a broken NES at carboot sales.

BurgerKingDiamond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 10:06:03 pm »
@rusty
thanks. im glad u like it. i think i got the nes on ebay for $11 with free shipping. it was a little dirty but i disassembled the case and put it in the dishwasher and it came out looking a thousand times better. luckily it was mostly dirt and not a discoloration of the plastic itself (btw, there is an old school tech restoration website with a recipe for a homemade concoction for getting old yellowed consoles and computers looking brand new again. i cant remember the sit right now though...).

Rusty Shackelford

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 02:47:38 am »
@rusty
thanks. im glad u like it. i think i got the nes on ebay for $11 with free shipping. it was a little dirty but i disassembled the case and put it in the dishwasher and it came out looking a thousand times better. luckily it was mostly dirt and not a discoloration of the plastic itself (btw, there is an old school tech restoration website with a recipe for a homemade concoction for getting old yellowed consoles and computers looking brand new again. i cant remember the sit right now though...).

If you remember please post. Ive got a couple of SNES's that could do with a de-yellowing.

amendonz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2017, 04:33:57 pm
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 03:54:26 am »
assemblergames.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-3910.html

Sorry it's not a link, on my phone havin a hell of a time :).
Pretty good guide there

BurgerKingDiamond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 06:35:20 am »
@Rusty

Here it is. Retr0Bright. Some of the pictures show pretty dramatic results.
http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

BurgerKingDiamond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 06:43:03 am »
Man, I just looked at all the Retr0Bright examples. If I wasn't so lazy I would take apart the NES and really get it looking pristine... Originally, I was prepared to do the Retr0Bright thing but after the dishwasher I thought that it looked OK. And it does look very good, but I keep imagining what if... Anyway, if anybody does try and clean an old console, let me know about the results.

Rusty Shackelford

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 03:34:24 pm »
That stuff gets good results! The one question I have (which I couldnt find the answer to on the site) do you think it would be ok to paint the gel over printed words i.e. the red Nintendo logo on the flap? In the examples they seem to just slap it all over.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 09:53:08 am »
Great job! Love the way it turned out.
I might have missed it, but what is that motherboard and where did you get it?

gaijinking

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2015, 09:17:57 pm
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 01:11:43 pm »
Awesome build! But I'm curious to see what kind of performance you get running Hyperspin on it?

BurgerKingDiamond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 08:06:48 pm »
@rusty
i dont think the gel can hurt the logo. they use the stuff on keyboard keys and stuff like that and you can still read everything. btw, i have a candy cab coming in this week. it looked a little yellowed on the ebay pictures, so i will probably try to make up a batch of the stuff and try it out. ill post pics.

@DaOldMan
its called the ion motherboard, made by Zotac. i got it from Newegg. i accidentally got the upgrade pack though, which didnt come with a psu for some reason. but i think you can get the one with the psu, a fan and some other stuff for like $179.

@GaijinKing
hyperspin runs OK. its fine actually, but i still have to turn off the intro video cuz it stutters the whole time.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 05:51:22 pm »
Thanks! I re-read your first post after I commented, and I saw where you had already posted what kind of MB it is.
I searched over at Newegg and found them.
Very interesting.