Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Please Help - Index Out of Range Error  (Read 16600 times)

deepblue

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 12, 2018, 07:39:28 pm
  • Billy vs. Steve
Please Help - Index Out of Range Error
« on: August 20, 2010, 08:29:38 pm »
Hi Guys,

I'm getting the "Director Player Error" - "Index out of Range":

I posted another thread a week ago about how I couldn't get a replacement version of MAME working with MA (I previously had .134 working perfectly). Because I got no responses I assumed it was a config issue so I removed MA and reinstalled.

I've done nothing crazy - just specified my roms folder and told it to force rescan. Each time I try to run MA I get the error above. I'm running plain old Windows XP, I have Software transitions selected, etc. (read this in another thread).

Can anyone help? I've tried everything I can think of - and MA fires up, scans MAME Media, and as soon as it says Importing XML Gamelist, this error fires.

Thanks.

deepblue

• Offline Offline
  • Billy vs. Steve
Re: Please Help - Index Out of Range Error
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 09:11:40 pm »
Ok - just as follow-up...I tried setting MA back to MAME .134 (config-wise)...and it scanned and imported perfectly.

So it appears to be something up with MAME .95, or the associated roms. If anyone has any hints or tips to troubleshoot - I'm all ears.

Thanks.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 04:11:31 pm »
Have you tried backing up and deleting your mame.xml from the MA directory.  My guess is that MA built one for the original version of MAME and then when you switch versions it gets confused.

So I'd remove it and let MA build a fresh one from the new MAME version.

Also, make sure your "path to media" is set to long in the config for MAME in preferences.

D
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

deepblue

• Offline Offline
  • Billy vs. Steve
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 06:23:31 pm »
Hi Delusional - do you mean the Mame.lst in the preferences directory? I don't have a mame.XML anywhere I can see.

I tried deleting the .lst files for Mame in that prefs directory and rescanning, same error. Tried setting to "long" also, still no help.

Anything else I can do to troubleshoot? I guess I can start pulling out roms from the directory to see if it is choking on something in particular.

Any chance this is related to the mame.dat file?

Appreciate any and all suggestions.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 07:28:43 pm »
Try increasing the value for generating the MAME.xml

D

deepblue

• Offline Offline
  • Billy vs. Steve
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 07:42:24 pm »
Thanks Delusional - unfortunately still no dice.

Increased it to 90 - still Index out of Range.

It's odd - it dies about 3-4 seconds into it saying "Generating Gamelist XML".

What's also strange is MAME .95 has about 5,000 roms, while MAME .134 has over 8,000 - yet .95 dies and .134 works great.

I'll try pulling some roms out of the directory by letter to see if I can narrow it down. Appreciate any and all other suggestions.

deepblue

• Offline Offline
  • Billy vs. Steve
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 08:46:23 pm »
Ok - so I've pulled all the roms out in pieces, only to deduce that the exact same error/issue persists even if there is only one of any of the roms in there. So it isn't the roms.

For a test, I changed the Mame executable to be the .134 one, and left the .95 rom directory as it was.

Bingo - it worked.

So the question is - what does the scanning/import routine have to do with the mame executable? Am I ok to go through the import process specifying the wrong (.134) .exe and then switch it back (to .95)?

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 10:43:40 pm »
Hmm, not sure about that one.  Did you try it?

deepblue

• Offline Offline
  • Billy vs. Steve
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 10:21:27 pm »
So I tried this - and yes, it scans the games in and you can then switch the exe back to Mame 95 after the fact, and the games launch fine.

Unfortunately the same old problem is back - none of my USB devices work (Joystick, Trackball, Spinner) in any of the games that MA launches. Again, if I launch the games in Mame UI (.95), they work fine.

Any tricks you can think of to get the devices working?

Thanks.

deepblue

• Offline Offline
  • Billy vs. Steve
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 03:35:14 pm »
For posterity's sake - I wanted to follow up here and close the loop (mostly) on this issue.

To correct the index out of range issue I specified an alternate mame.exe (v.134 instead of .95) but kept the .95 roms directory, and this allowed the scan/import to complete. I then adjusted the prefs and put the .95 mame.exe back in, and games launch perfectly.

I then had the same original issue of my trackball/spinner/joysticks not working.

Turns out this occurs in this older version of mame because I didn't have a mame.ini in my mame folder. I created one by going the the command line and executing "mame.exe -cc", and then set joystick 1, mouse 1, and adjusted a few other settings. That fixed the issue.

Unfortunately I'm now experiencing a different issue that I'll start a new thread in the main forum for - my spinner/trackball is getting interference from something (another mouse or perhaps a joystick not being in the deadzone). This is making playing Arkanoid impossible because the "Vaus" jerks left and right like crazy while I scroll it with the spinner.

Thanks Delusional for trying to help!

mud2005

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 27, 2020, 06:03:11 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Please Help - Index Out of Range Error [solved]
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 03:53:17 pm »
Hello, I have been using Maximus Arcade for years, recently I upgraded my mame version to .160 and fixed all my broken roms to work with the new version.
All my roms were running fine in MAME, but when I tried to start in MA I got the index out of range error.
*SOLUTION*
I deleted the gamelist.xml file in the mame folder and went into MA prefs and under options click the mame tab then change the radio button "MAME rom description built using MAME generated XML gamelist"
to
"MAME rom description built using ClrMAME Pro database (mame.dat)"
after I did this I opened MA and got no index out of range error and all my roms worked great!
hope this helps someone, I googled the solution and found nothing, then tried every setting in MA to finally get it working :)

webfly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2016, 05:33:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 06:06:43 pm »
Hi guys.

I'm getting the "Director Player Error" - "Index out of Range":

but in a different way.....

in my case I have the mame 173 working

but can only add batch system any other system I add based on roms I got the error Index Out Of Range

any ideas

any idea how to solve this ?

I tried each of the solutions here in this thread but without effect

advance thanks for the help

webfly